Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Strength in Running
a Marathon a Day
Apr 29, 2022 1:08 AM CDT
Amputee Finds Strength in Running a Marathon a Day
Jacky Hunt-Broersma completes her quest
On Thursday, Jacky Hunt-Broersma achieved her goal of running 102 marathons in as many days, setting an unofficial women’s world record. And the amputee athlete can't stop/won't stop, saying she'll run two more for good measure and wrap up her challenge on Saturday with 104,...
This Year's Winners
of the Boston Marathon
Apr 18, 2022 11:42 AM CDT
This Year's Winners of the Boston Marathon
Evans Chebet and Peres Jepchirchir, both of Kenya, are the overall champs
- Evans Chebet of Kenya won the Boston Marathon on Monday as the race returned to its traditional Patriots' Day spot in the schedule for the first time since the start of the coronavirus pandemic. The men's lead pack of about 20 winnowed to two as it came out of...
Miscue in Final Mile
Costs Racer $50K
Oct 12, 2021 7:17 AM CDT
Miscue in Final Mile Costs Racer $50K
Marcel Hug won the wheelchair division but missed the course record in Boston Marathon
- Marcel Hug collected $25,000 Monday as the first-place wheelchair finisher in the Boston Marathon . But as NBC Boston reports, he likely would have collected $75,000 if not for a hiccup in the final mile, one that ruined his chance to set the course record and earn a $50,...
Boston Marathon Held
for First Time in 30 Months
Oct 11, 2021 3:17 PM CDT
Boston Marathon Held for First Time in 30 Months
Kenyan runners swept long-delayed race
- With fall foliage replacing the blooming daffodils and mylar blankets sharing space with masks, the pandemic-delayed Boston Marathon returned Monday after a 30-month absence for a smaller, socially distanced race that ended in a very familiar way. Benson Kipruto and Diana Kipyogei completed a Kenyan sweep—the eighth since 2000...
Acts of Kindness Mark
a Painful Anniversary
Apr 15, 2021 7:05 PM CDT
Acts of Kindness Mark a Painful Anniversary
Mayor encourages smaller gestures because of the pandemic
- Boston marked eight years since the bombing at the 2013 Boston Marathon killed three people and injured scores of others on Thursday with quiet moments of reflection and small acts of kindness. Acting Mayor Kim Janey visited fire stations that had been critical in the response to the attack, as...
He Ran Dozens of Marathons,
While Pushing His Son
Mar 18, 2021 2:04 PM CDT
He Ran Dozens of Marathons, While Pushing His Son
Dick Hoyt and son Rick gained renown at Boston races for decades
- Dick Hoyt, who inspired thousands of runners, fathers, and disabled athletes by pushing his son in a wheelchair in dozens of Boston Marathons, has died at age 80, per the AP . Hoyt died in his sleep at his Holland, Massachusetts, home on Wednesday, says his family. He had been struggling...
Gives Up on the Spring
Oct 29, 2020 9:40 AM CDT
Boston Marathon Gives Up on the Spring
Organizers hope it will happen in fall 2021
- This year, Boston Marathon organizers postponed the event until the fall before deciding to cancel the race for the first time in its 124-year history and replace it with a virtual event. Organizers say they hope to hold the race again in 2021, but the traditional date of the third...
Boston Gives Up
on This Year's Marathon
May 28, 2020 4:12 PM CDT
Boston Gives Up on This Year's Marathon
Organizers already had postponed but couldn't solve social distancing requirement
- Organizers canceled the Boston Marathon on Thursday for the first time in its history, bowing to the social distancing requirements of the coronavirus outbreak and ending a 124-year run that had persisted through two World Wars, a volcanic eruption, and even another pandemic. The race, which draws a field of...
2 More Big Sports
Events Are Postponed
Mar 13, 2020 2:21 PM CDT
2 More Big Sports Events Are Postponed
Boston Marathon and the Masters
- The list of famed sports events canceled because of the spreading coronavirus grew again Friday. The Boston Marathon now is scheduled for Sept. 14 instead of April 20. And the Masters golf tournament, which was to run April 9-12 at Augusta National, is postponed indefinitely. "Our priority right now...
She Cheated in a Big Race,
but Never Copped to It
Aug 9, 2019 11:41 AM CDT
She Cheated in a Big Race, but Never Copped to It
Rosie Ruiz, who briefly was crowned the Boston Marathon champ, is dead at 66
- Rosie Ruiz, the Boston Marathon course-cutter who was stripped of her victory in the 1980 race and went on to become an enduring symbol of cheating in sports, has died at age 66. Ruiz, who was also known as Rosie Vivas, died in Florida of cancer on July 8, according...
Marine Veteran Finishes
Marathon in Inspiring Fashion
Apr 16, 2019 12:55 PM CDT
Marine Veteran Finishes Marathon in Inspiring Fashion
Former Marine Micah Herndon completes Boston Marathon for fallen buddies
- Micah Herndon finished the Boston Marathon Monday in a time of 3:38, so, no, he didn't come close to the top runners. But he
finish, and he did so on his hands and knees after collapsing in sight of the finish line, reports Yahoo Sports . Herndon's...
Boston Marathon Survivor
'Broken' After Another Setback
Jan 7, 2019 9:45 AM CST
Boston Marathon Survivor 'Broken' After Another Setback
Adrianne Haslet is struck by a car, has surgery
- She lost a leg in the Boston Marathon bombing, only to return to run the race again , as well as to dance . Now Adrianne Haslet has suffered another blow. She was hit by a car Saturday evening in Boston and already has undergone surgery, reports TMZ . "Struck by a...
Boston Bomber Appeals: Nix
Conviction, Death Sentence
Dec 28, 2018 6:11 AM CST
Boston Bomber Appeals: Nix Conviction, Death Sentence
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's lawyers say he should never have been tried in Boston
- Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's attorneys don't deny their client was behind the "heinous" 2013 Boston Marathon bombing, along with his late brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev. But they're now appealing the 25-year-old's conviction and death sentence, arguing that publicity before the trial in Boston was so prevalent and "...
Runner in Purple Is Real
Shock of Boston Marathon
Apr 18, 2018 5:03 AM CDT
Runner in Purple Is Real Shock of Boston Marathon
Sarah Sellers is a virtual unknown
- That an American female won the Boston Marathon for the first time since 1985 made headlines, but it's the woman who came in second who is grabbing them now. Eyes are shifting to Sarah Sellers, who finished 4 minutes and 10 seconds behind winner Desiree Linden with a time...
In Brutal Conditions, American
Woman Wins Boston Marathon
Apr 16, 2018 12:17 PM CDT
In Brutal Conditions, American Woman Wins Boston Marathon
Desiree Linden is first to do so since 1985; Japan's Yuki Kawauchi wins overall race
- Desiree Linden splashed her way through icy rain and a near-gale headwind to a Boston Marathon victory on Monday, the first American woman to win the race since 1985. The two-time Olympian and 2011 Boston runner-up pulled away at the end of Heartbreak Hill to finish in 2 hours, 39...
Adidas Offends With
Post-Boston Marathon Email
Apr 18, 2017 4:28 PM CDT
Adidas Offends With Post-Boston Marathon Email
The company congratulated people on having 'survived' the marathon
- "Congrats, you survived the Boston Marathon." So reads the subject line of an email sent to marathon participants by Adidas on Tuesday,
reports. This was, for obvious reasons, a poor choice of subject line. And according to the
New York Daily News
, recipients of the email...
Kenyan Edges US Runner by
Seconds in Boston Marathon
Apr 17, 2017 11:37 AM CDT
Kenyan Edges US Runner by Seconds in Boston Marathon
Geoffrey Kirui wins among men and Edna Kiplagat among women
- Two Kenyans triumphed in the Boston Marathon on Monday. Geoffrey Kirui won on the men's side and Edna Kiplagat, a police officer in Kenya, on the women's, reports the AP . For Kirui, it was his first marathon victory ever. He outran Galen Rupp of the US to win...
1st Woman to Enter
Running It Again
Apr 11, 2017 12:34 PM CDT
1st Woman to Enter Boston Marathon Running It Again
Kathrine Switzer returns
- In 1967, only men were allowed to run the Boston Marathon. Yet Kathrine Switzer entered, got a bib number, and completed the race, becoming the first woman to do so in an official capacity . Fifty years later, she's running the marathon again, Outside Online reports. "Women make up...
Apr 18, 2016 11:55 AM CDT
Ethiopians Sweep Boston Marathon
First ever sweep in Beantown
- Lemi Berhanu Hayle of Ethiopia has won the Boston Marathon in an unofficial time of 2 hours, 12 minutes, 45 seconds, as fellow Ethiopian Atsede Baysa won the women's race in an unofficial time of 2 hours, 29 minutes, 19 seconds. The 21-year-old Hayle pulled away from defending champion...
Woman Who Lost Leg
in Marathon Bombing
Will Run This Year
Jan 27, 2016 10:58 AM CST
Woman Who Lost Leg in Marathon Bombing Will Run This Year
Adrianne Haslet-Davis is training for April 18 race
- Adrianne Haslet-Davis, who lost most of her left leg in the Boston Marathon bombing, will run the marathon this year. Haslet-Davis, who announced her plans Tuesday, tells Boston.com she wanted to make sure she was ready "both physically and mentally"—she was not a runner when she...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
5 Murders Since July May Be Work of Serial Killer
High School Football Team Cancels Entire Season After 'Slave Auction'
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
It Was Worse Than the Titanic. You Likely Haven't Heard of It
Pro-Russia Parties Trounced
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.