Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Placido Domingo: 'I Never
Promised a Part to a Singer'
Aug 23, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Placido Domingo: 'I Never Promised a Part to a Singer'
The disgraced opera giant says he hopes to clear his name
- Opera legend Plácido Domingo denied ever abusing his power during his management tenure at two US opera houses in an interview with the AP on Sunday, as he embarks on a full-throttle campaign to clear his name after two investigations found credible accusations he had engaged in "inappropriate...
Mar 30, 2020 6:25 AM CDT
Placido Domingo Hospitalized in Mexico
Opera singer's coronavirus worsens, but he's said to be responding to treatment
- Just over a week ago, Placido Domingo felt it his "moral duty" to inform the world he'd tested positive for the coronavirus, though he said he was in relatively "good health" despite a fever and coughing. Since then, his condition has worsened enough that he was forced...
More Bad News
for Placido Domingo
Mar 11, 2020 9:10 AM CDT
More Bad News for Placido Domingo
Los Angeles Opera finds 10 credible accusations of 'inappropriate conduct'
- The second of two investigations into allegations of sexual harassment by Placido Domingo has concluded with the Los Angeles Opera finding 10 credible accusations that the former general director engaged in "inappropriate conduct" over three decades. A summary report released Tuesday by the law firm of Gibson, Dunn &...
Feb 27, 2020 4:36 PM CST
Placido Domingo Revises Apology
Opera star backtracks a bit after cancellations
- Opera star Placido Domingo amended his apology to the multiple women who have accused him of sexual misconduct, adding several caveats Thursday to a statement two days earlier in which he said he took “full responsibility” for his actions, the AP reports. In a statement on his Facebook page...
After Apology, Domingo
Feb 27, 2020 3:40 AM CST
After Apology, Domingo Cancels Performances
He's facing a backlash in his home country
- Global opera star Placido Domingo has canceled his upcoming performances at one of Spain's main opera houses as officials and music venues in the tenor's home country reassess their ties after he apologized for sexually harassing women over the course of two decades. A statement from the Teatro...
Placido Domingo: 'I Accept Full
Responsibility for My Actions'
Feb 25, 2020 3:53 AM CST
Placido Domingo: 'I Accept Full Responsibility for My Actions'
He issues apology after union concludes investigation of harassment allegations
- An investigation into legendary singer Plácido Domingo by the US union representing opera performers found more than two dozen people who said they were sexually harassed or witnessed inappropriate behavior by the superstar when he held senior management positions at Washington National Opera and Los Angeles Opera, according to...
More Fallout for
Oct 2, 2019 4:00 PM CDT
More Fallout for Placido Domingo
He resigns as general director of LA Opera in wake of accusations
- Opera star Placido Domingo resigned Wednesday as general director of the Los Angeles Opera and withdrew from future performances at the company following multiple allegations of sexual harassment reported by the AP . “I hold Los Angeles Opera very dearly to my heart and count my work to create and...
Placido Domingo Will Never
Again Appear at the Met
Sep 24, 2019 5:40 PM CDT
Placido Domingo Will Never Again Appear at the Met
Opera singer withdraws from all future performances
- On Friday, NPR published a story about employees at New York's Metropolitan Opera who are peeved they still have to work alongside Placido Domingo after he was accused by 20 women of sexual misconduct. On Monday evening, a new article from the outlet emerged, after it spoke to four...
Takes a Turn
Aug 20, 2019 7:34 PM CDT
The Placido Domingo Story Takes a Turn
Debra Wong Yang is brought in to investigate
- Los Angeles Opera said Tuesday it will immediately open a "thorough and independent investigation" into allegations of sexual harassment against the opera star Placido Domingo, the company's general director, the AP reports. In a brief statement Tuesday, the opera company said it has hired Debra Wong Yang from...
Aug 14, 2019 12:35 AM CDT
Placido Domingo Concerts Canceled Amid Accusations
LA Opera is investigating sexual harassment allegations
- Two music companies canceled appearances by Placido Domingo and the Los Angeles Opera said Tuesday it would launch an investigation in response to a report in which numerous women accused the opera legend of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior spanning decades, the AP reports. Domingo has been general director of...
Orchestra Rescinds Invite
to Placido Domingo
Aug 13, 2019 11:54 AM CDT
Orchestra Rescinds Invite to Placido Domingo
After report that he has sexually harassed women for decades
- Opera icon Placido Domingo is already losing gigs over a report that he has regularly sexually harassed women over his long career. Domingo had been scheduled to perform with the Philadelphia Orchestra at its opening night in September, but the organization has now rescinded the invitation, reports NBC News . A...
Women Come Forward
to Accuse Placido Domingo
Aug 13, 2019 2:03 AM CDT
Women Come Forward to Accuse Placido Domingo
9 of them say he sexually harassed, groped them
- For decades, Placido Domingo, one of the most celebrated and powerful men in opera, has tried to pressure women into sexual relationships by dangling jobs and then sometimes punishing the women professionally when they refused his advances, numerous accusers told the AP . Regarded as one of the greatest opera singers...
Dead at 83
Oct 12, 2010 1:30 AM CDT
Opera Legend Joan Sutherland Dead at 83
Stupendous soprano had 'voice of the century'
- Joan Sutherland, the soprano Luciano Pavarotti once called "the voice of the century," has died at her home in Switzerland at age 83. The Australian-born singer—known as "La Stupenda" or "The Stupendous One" to opera audiences—became one of the most celebrated opera singers of...
Retires From Opera
May 8, 2009 9:34 AM CDT
José Carreras Retires From Opera
62-year-old's departure leaves one of Three Tenors
- Unable to perform at the level he considers acceptable, José Carreras will retire from opera, the least prominent of the Three Tenors tells the
of London. Unamplified lead roles in opera houses are more than the 62-year-old Spaniard can handle, he said. “If I can do concert recitals,...
High C is a Drink Best Served Bold
Sep 9, 2007 5:00 PM CDT
High C is a Drink Best Served Bold
Pavarotti had blend of talent, self-confidence to hit hard note
- Pavarotti’s obits called him “King of the High C’s,” a nickname he earned for hitting a note that many tenors have to fake in falsetto. “It’s the absolute summit of technique,” says a coach. “More than anywhere else in your voice, you...
Sep 7, 2007 5:53 PM CDT
Thousands Pay Respects to Pavarotti
Bono, Kofi Annan plan to attend tenor's funeral tomorrow
- Thousands lined up today to pay respects to opera superstar Luciano Pavarotti at the cathedral in his hometown of Modena, Italy. Though the tenor's family wants a private funeral tomorrow, an international array of celebrities and fans–among them Bono, Andrea Bocelli, and Kofi Annan–are planning to attend, Reuters...
Opera World Mourns 'King of the High Cs'
Sep 6, 2007 8:05 AM CDT
Opera World Mourns 'King of the High Cs'
Pavarotti's legacy: That unforgettable, unmistakable sound
- Placido Domingo is the better musician, but no other voice could match the late Luciano Pavarotti's, Anthony Tommasini writes in today's
. The music critic looks at a career dotted with highs as lofty as the high Cs Pavarotti "tossed off" with "ease, pinging tone and utter glee"...
Popular on Newser
Biden Calls Fox Reporter After Hot Mic Insult
Yet Another Big Moment for Jeopardy! Champ
Peloton Not Happy After Another TV Character's Heart Attack
Bataclan Survivor 'Shocked' to Find Out What Her Surgeon Did
Virginia's New Republican Governor Making Waves
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.