Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
72 Years After Battle, Vet Is
Still Waiting for Purple Heart
Nov 10, 2023 10:47 AM CST
72 Years After Battle, Vet Is Still Waiting for Purple Heart
Earl Meyer, 96, was wounded in Korean War
- Earl Meyer remembers in vivid detail when his platoon came under heavy fire during the Korean War—he still has shrapnel embedded in his thigh. But over 70 years later, the 96-year-old Minnesota resident is still waiting for the US Army to recognize his injury and to award him a...
North Korea Notably
Welcomes 2 Outsiders
Jul 26, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
North Korea Notably Welcomes 2 Outsiders
Russian and Chinese delegations arrive for war anniversary
- Russian and Chinese government delegations are arriving in North Korea, and the visits are noteworthy ones: They mark just the second known time since the start of the pandemic that foreign government officials have been invited in. That count is per South Korea's Unification Ministry, which says the...
Korean War Hero's Body
Is Home After 73 Years
May 29, 2023 12:38 PM CDT
Korean War Hero's Body Is Home After 73 Years
'We always believed that he would never be found,' Luther Story's niece says
- Soldiers of the 9th Infantry Regiment made a desperate retreat as North Korean troops closed in around them. A wounded, 18-year-old Army Pfc. Luther Herschel Story feared his injuries would slow down his company, so he stayed behind to cover their withdrawal. Story’s actions in the Korean War on...
South Korean Message
Apr 27, 2023 5:10 PM CDT
Congress Cheers South Korean Message
Yoon Suk Yeol addresses alliance, 'American heroes' of the Korean War
- South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol urged ever more strengthening of the US-led security alliance against nuclear-armed North Korea on Thursday, drawing cheers from Congress as he saluted the "great American heroes" who helped preserve his country's democracy in the Korean War. Democratic and Republican lawmakers rose to...
Korean War Wall
Is Littered With Goofs
Jan 10, 2023 4:29 PM CST
Korean War Wall Is Littered With Goofs
Two historians count more than 1K spelling errors, plus about 500 missing names
- "It’s just a damn mess." That’s how historian Hal Barker describes the Korean War Wall of Remembrance, a new $22 million installment at the existing Korean War Veterans Memorial in Washington, DC. Hal and his brother Edward "Ted" Barker certainly didn’t create the mess;...
N. Korea Responds to
Call to End Korean War
Sep 24, 2021 1:57 AM CDT
N. Korea Responds to Call to End Korean War
Kim's sister says 'hostile policies' must end first
- North Korea rebuffed South Korea’s push for a declaration to end the 1950-53 Korean War as a way to restore peace, saying Friday such a step could be used as a "smokescreen covering up the US hostile policy" against the North. In a speech at the UN General...
Biden to Award First
Medal of Honor Friday
May 19, 2021 5:01 PM CDT
Biden to Award First Medal of Honor Friday
Korean War vet Col. Ralph Puckett Jr. will be honored for acts of bravery
- President Biden will award his first Medal of Honor this week to a retired colonel for acts of bravery during the Korean War, the White House announced Wednesday. Biden will bestow the nation's most prestigious military honor on retired Col. Ralph Puckett Jr., who held Hill 205, a strategic...
After 70 Years
Mar 7, 2021 11:00 AM CST
Revered Chaplain's Remains ID'd After 70 Years
Capt. Emil Kapaun, a Medal of Honor recipient, died a POW during Korean War
- Ever since Capt. Emil Kapaun was reported to have died while being held prisoner in Korea in 1951, his family has been without remains to bury. Although relatives sought answers, the chaplain was among the 7,500 service members unaccounted for from the Korean War, CNN reports. But Kapaun was...
Some Fans Don't Like 'History
of Pain' Comment by BTS
Oct 12, 2020 4:27 PM CDT
Some Fans Don't Like 'History of Pain' Comment by BTS
Chinese fans whose troops fought against South Korea and US see a lack of respect
- When BTS received an award last week recognizing the ties between the US and South Korea, its leader acknowledged the nations' joint sacrifices 70 years ago during the Korean War. "We will always remember the history of pain that our two nations shared together and the sacrifices of countless...
A New Sign of
With North Korea
May 8, 2019 2:23 PM CDT
A New Sign of Troubled Relations With North Korea
Pentagon suspends its war remains effort
- In a new sign of troubled relations with North Korea, the Pentagon said Wednesday it has suspended its efforts to arrange negotiations on recovering additional remains of US service members killed in the North during the Korean War. In a statement Wednesday, the Pentagon's Defense POW-MIA Accounting Agency said...
Remains From N. Korea
Are Now Back on US Soil
Aug 2, 2018 1:15 AM CDT
Remains From N. Korea Are Now Back on US Soil
The identification work is about to begin
- The US military is beginning the painstaking process of analyzing remains said to be from the Korean War now that they're back on American soil after having been handed over by North Korea last week. Vice President Mike Pence and the top commander of US forces in Asia, Adm....
North Korea Gave the US
a Single Military Dog Tag
Aug 1, 2018 6:04 AM CDT
North Korea Gave the US a Single Military Dog Tag
And no other information that could help US forensics experts ID the remains
- When North Korea handed over 55 boxes of bones that it said are remains of American war dead, it provided a single military dog tag but no other information that could help US forensics experts determine their individual identities, a US defense official said Tuesday. The official, who discussed previously...
Remains From Korea a 'Modest
Diplomatic Coup' for Trump
Jul 27, 2018 6:37 AM CDT
Remains From Korea a 'Modest Diplomatic Coup' for Trump
55 war dead reportedly beginning their long journey home after ceremony at South Korean air base
- The remains of US soldiers who died in the Korean War finally appear to be coming home —a "modest diplomatic coup" for President Trump, reports Reuters . At a ceremony Friday at Pyeongtaek's Osan Air Base in South Korea, a US military plane arrived from North Korea's...
North Korea Returns
Remains of US Troops
Jul 26, 2018 9:57 PM CDT
North Korea Returns Remains of US Troops
It's one result of the Trump-Kim summit
- An American military plane flew into North Korea on Friday and left with the remains of US troops who were killed during the Korean War, the White House says. It's not clear how many, but South Korea's Yonhap news agency estimates that 50 sets of remains were transferred....
Remains of 50 Americans Could
Be Home Before Month's End
Jul 18, 2018 12:11 AM CDT
Remains of 50 Americans Could Be Home Before Month's End
Sources say Pyongyang ready to hand over remains of war dead
- The bodies of dozens of America's Korean War dead may finally return home, 65 years to the day after the armistice that ended fighting and created the DMZ in 1953. A US official tells CNN that the first group of possible American remains are expected on July 27. The...
North Koreans Fail to Show Up
to Scheduled Meeting With US
Jul 12, 2018 3:58 PM CDT
North Koreans Fail to Show Up to Scheduled Meeting With US
The nations were slated to discuss repatriation of US soldiers' remains
- The North Koreans failed to show up to a scheduled meeting Thursday during which they were slated to discuss the repatriation of American soldiers' remains with US officials. That's per the
New York Times
, where it was reported that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo indicated last week that the...
Report: N. Korea Ready
to Return US War Dead
Jun 20, 2018 4:26 AM CDT
Report: N. Korea Ready to Return US War Dead
Officials say ceremony could happen very soon
- The American military command in South Korea is preparing for the North Koreans to turn over the remains of an unknown number of US or allied service members who have been missing since the Korean War, US officials said Tuesday. Officials say the timing of a ceremony is uncertain, but...
Kim Agrees to
of US Soldiers
Jun 12, 2018 5:34 PM CDT
Kim Agrees to Send Remains of US Soldiers Home
Repatriation of Korean War remains is one of four key points Trump, Kim agreed upon
- Of the 35,000 Americans who died on the Korean peninsula during the Korean War, 7,700 have not been accounted for. Per Veterans of Foreign Wars estimates, the remains of as many as 5,300 could still be in North Korea. Now, as one of four key points President...
Trump Pledges 'Security
Guarantees' to Pyongyang
Jun 12, 2018 1:13 AM CDT
Trump Pledges 'Security Guarantees' to Pyongyang
Kim recommits to 'complete denuclearization'
- President Trump and North Korea's Kim Jong Un concluded an extraordinary nuclear summit Tuesday with the US president pledging unspecified "security guarantees" to the North, and Kim recommitting to the "complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula," the AP reports. They coupled the summit agreement with lofty...
Korean Leaders Agree
to 'Total Denuclearization'
Apr 27, 2018 5:56 AM CDT
Korean Leaders Agree to 'Total Denuclearization'
'A new history starts now,' Kim says
- "A new history starts now," Kim Jong Un wrote in the guest book at the Peace House in the DMZ before talks with South Korea's President Moon Jae-in began, and the day's developments were historic indeed. In a joint statement, the two leaders pledged to cease...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.