The North Koreans failed to show up to a scheduled meeting Thursday during which they were slated to discuss the repatriation of American soldiers' remains with US officials. That's per the New York Times, where it was reported that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo indicated last week that the talks would happen on or around Thursday in the inter-Korean border and said the date might change. There was no indication of whether the North Koreans intentionally blew off the meeting. During June's meeting between President Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, the North Korean leader said the country is committed to getting the remains of US soldiers killed in the Korean War back to American soil.
Meanwhile, USA Today reports that Kim recently praised his historic meeting with Trump as "the start of a meaningful journey." The Trump administration released a letter from Kim, dated July 6, after officials say it was given to Pompeo to deliver to Trump when his delegation was recently in the DPRK. "I deeply appreciate the energetic and extraordinary efforts made by Your Excellency Mr. President for the improvement of relations between the two countries," the letter read, in part. Trump shared the letter in a tweet Thursday, writing, "A very nice note from Chairman Kim of North Korea. Great progress being made!" (Read more North Korea stories.)