Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Epstein Victim, Dershowitz
Issue Joint Statement
Nov 9, 2022 12:30 PM CST
Epstein Victim, Dershowitz Issue Joint Statement
Virginia Giuffre admits possible 'mistake in identifying' the celebrity lawyer in sex abuse
- Virginia Giuffre, the woman who has long claimed sex abuse by Jeffrey Epstein, Prince Andrew, and Alan Dershowitz, now says she may have "made a mistake" in accusing that third man. "I have long believed that I was trafficked by Jeffrey Epstein to Alan Dershowitz. However, I was...
Convicted of Sexual Abuse
Oct 21, 2022 12:32 AM CDT
Ex-UCLA Gynecologist Convicted of Sexual Abuse
Dr. James Heaps was found guilty on some counts, not guilty on others
The former UCLA gynecologist embroiled in a sexual abuse scandal was on Thursday convicted of some of the 21 counts he faced, which involved accusations from seven women. Dr. James Heaps, 65, was found guilty of five counts of sexually abusing female patients and not guilty on seven other...
City Will Pay $12M
in 'Spit Hood' Death
Oct 6, 2022 12:45 PM CDT
City Will Pay $12M in 'Spit Hood' Death
Rochester settles with family of Daniel Prude
- The city of Rochester, NY, has reached a settlement with the family of a Black man who died after police put a "spit hood" over his head and pressed his face into the pavement until he stopped breathing. Rochester Mayor Malik Evans said the city will pay $12 million...
Settlement Clears Way for
Oct 5, 2022 9:59 AM CDT
Settlement Clears Way for Filming of
Halyna Hutchins' family, Alec Baldwin settle for undisclosed amount
- The family of Halyna Hutchins has settled with Alec Baldwin and Rust Movie Productions for an undisclosed amount in the wake of the cinematographer's 2021 death on the set of
—paving the way for the movie to be completed. Hutchins' family sued Baldwin and the movie's producers...
It's a Draw in Suit
Over 'Sexist' Remark
Sep 7, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
It's a Draw in Suit Over 'Sexist' Remark in
Netflix, Nona Gaprindashvili agree to settle defamation claim
- Netflix had the chance to publicly apologize to Nona Gaprindashvili. It didn't, and as a result faced a $5 million defamation lawsuit from the Georgian chess master, which it has now agreed to settle. Financial details weren't disclosed, per Deadline , though a lawyer for 81-year-old Gaprindashvili says Gaprindashvili'...
Cambridge Analytica Deal
Averts Zuckerberg Deposition
Aug 27, 2022 2:25 PM CDT
Cambridge Analytica Deal Averts Zuckerberg Deposition
Facebook reaches tentative agreement on privacy lawsuit
- Facebook has agreed to settle a lawsuit over enabling Cambridge Analytica to access the private data of millions of users, a deal that will let Mark Zuckerberg avoid answering up to six hours' worth of questions for a deposition. A court filing entered late Friday asks for 60 days for...
Judge Finds 457 Claims
in Condo Collapse to Be Bogus
Aug 24, 2022 6:40 PM CDT
Judge Finds 457 Claims in Condo Collapse to Be Bogus
Most filings sought about $50K of the $1.1B fund
- Hundreds of bogus claims that sought a share of the $1.1 billion settlement in the deadly collapse of a Florida condominium building were ruled fraudulent and invalid by a judge Wednesday. More than 450 presumably false claims, most seeking about $50,000, were filed in the court settlement arising...
3-Year-Old's Death Triggers
Big Changes at Splash Pads
Apr 1, 2022 8:06 AM CDT
3-Year-Old's Death Triggers Big Changes at Splash Pads
As part of settlement, Arlington, Texas to make updates to splash-pad technology
- The parents of a 3-year-old boy who died of a brain-eating amoeba contracted at a splash pad in Arlington, Texas, have settled with the city. Tariq Williams and Kayla Mitchell, who initially sought at least $1 million in a wrongful death lawsuit, will receive $250,000, which their lawyer said...
OxyContin Settlement Includes
a Statement of 'Regret'
Mar 3, 2022 3:37 PM CST
OxyContin Settlement Includes a Statement of 'Regret'
Sacklers stop short of an unequivocal apology in opioid deal
- Purdue Pharma reached a nationwide settlement Thursday over its role in the opioid crisis, with the Sackler family members who own the company boosting their cash contribution to as much as $6 billion in a deal intended to staunch a flood of lawsuits facing the maker of OxyContin. The deal...
Andrew Settles With Accuser,
Slams Epstein in Court Filing
Feb 15, 2022 1:20 PM CST
Andrew Settles With Accuser, Slams Epstein in Court Filing
But the prince admits no wrongdoing in case involving Virginia Giuffre
(This file has been updated throughout with new details.)
It looks like Prince Andrew won't be going to trial . The prince's lawyer said Tuesday that a settlement has been reached with Virginia Giuffre, the woman who accused Andrew of sexually assaulting her decades ago when she was...
In a First, Gun Maker Is
Held Liable for Mass Shooting
Feb 15, 2022 12:36 PM CST
In a First, Gun Maker Is Held Liable for Mass Shooting
Sandy Hook relatives and a survivor reach $73M settlement with Remington
(This summary has been updated throughout with new details.)
The families of nine victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting have agreed to a $73 million settlement of a lawsuit against the maker of the rifle used to kill 20 first graders and six educators in 2012, per...
Tentative Deal Has $83M
for Economic Losses
in Condo Collapse
Feb 11, 2022 4:40 PM CST
Tentative Deal Has $83M for Economic Losses in Condo Collapse
Payments to victims' families would go beyond that
- A tentative deal announced Friday would pay $83 million to people who suffered economic losses such as condominium units and personal property in the collapse of a Florida building that killed 98 people. The emerging agreement, yet to be formally reduced to writing, would set aside whatever amount above the...
of Abuse to Cost
Jan 19, 2022 11:32 AM CST
Doctor's Decades of Abuse to Cost University of Michigan $490M
Settlement reached over sex assaults at hands of Dr. Robert Anderson
- The University of Michigan has agreed to a $490 million settlement with more than 1,000 people, mostly men, who say they were sexually assaulted by Dr. Robert Anderson during his nearly four-decade career as a sports doctor at the school. The university on Wednesday said 1,050 people will...
Report: Settlement in
Elijah McClain Suit Is
Aurora PD's Biggest Ever
Nov 18, 2021 9:50 AM CST
Report: Settlement in Elijah McClain Suit Is Aurora PD's Biggest Ever
Insiders say Colo. city will pay $15M to family of Black man who died after he was restrained
- A settlement between the city of Aurora, Colo., and the family of Elijah McClain is one of the biggest of its kind on record, insiders say. Sources tell CBS Denver that the city has agreed to pay $15 million to the family of the 23-year-old Black man, who died in...
$600M Flint Settlement
Nov 10, 2021 7:10 PM CST
Judge Approves $600M Flint Settlement
Thousands will be eligible for payments over contaminated water
: Calling it "a remarkable achievement," a judge in Michigan has approved a $626.5 million settlement for thousands of people in Flint whose water was contaminated with lead. US District Judge Judith Levy said Wednesday that the package "is consistent for every qualifying participant, regardless...
Oct 28, 2021 4:01 PM CDT
Woman Fired After Oxygen Request Wins Settlement
Jean S. Perry was terminated after she inquired about bringing tank to work to help her breathe
- A woman who was fired after asking to bring an oxygen tank to work to help her breathe will get $25,000 in a federal settlement. TriMark Foodcraft also agreed to train its staff on what qualifies as a reasonable accommodation under the Americans With Disabilities Act as part of...
In Sperm Donor
Jul 31, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
In Sperm Donor 'Case Without Precedent,' a $10.7M Deal
Fertility doc accused of impregnating women with his own sperm agrees to settlement
- A Canadian fertility doctor who lost his medical license in 2019 after being accused of impregnating multiple women with the wrong sperm—sometimes his own—has now agreed to fork over millions in a "groundbreaking" settlement. The
reports that the $10.7 million offer from Norman Barwin...
Gunmaker Has a Number
for Sandy Hook Families
Jul 29, 2021 8:40 AM CDT
Gunmaker Has a Number for Sandy Hook Families
Gunmaker offers $33M in lawsuit, though it's far less than what families of shooting victims sought
- Remington has made an offer to the nine Sandy Hook families that are suing it. The settlement number the gunmaker has come up with, presented in Tuesday court documents: $33 million, subject to approval by the Alabama judge overseeing its bankruptcy case, per CNN . That means each family would receive...
Home Gets a Reprieve
Jun 28, 2021 8:17 AM CDT
Home Gets a Reprieve
Owner Florence Fang gets to keep her Stone Age-style decor, plus $125K to cover legal costs
- Florence Fang calls her house "the past and the future combined together in harmony." The town of Hillsborough, Calif., calls it a "highly visible eyesore." But it's an eyesore that's going to stay, per a settlement the two parties have reached over the residence...
How MoviePass Tried to Keep
Users From Seeing Movies
Jun 9, 2021 7:33 AM CDT
How MoviePass Tried to Keep Users From Seeing Movies
FTC outlines deceptive practices after offer of unlimited movies
- MoviePass promised unlimited movie tickets for $9.95 a month, but the result was altogether different. Executives made it very difficult for people to actually use the service, forcing password resets, installing surprise limits on accounts, and exposing personal data, according to the FTC . "MoviePass and its executives went...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Musk Kicks Kanye West Off Twitter
Freak Wave Slams Cruise Ship, Claims Life of Passenger
NYC Job Will Pay Up to $170K, but It's a 'Daunting' One
Warnock Leads, Obama Mocks, but Walker Stays Close
Cops: Woman Shut Off Roomie's Ventilator Because Sound Bothered Her
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.