Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Congress Has Monumental
Tasks This Week
Sep 27, 2021 2:31 PM CDT
Congress Has Monumental Tasks This Week
A potentially disastrous shutdown, plus the fate of Biden's domestic agenda is at stake
- President Biden has relatively little on on his calendar this week, for good reason. The fate of his White House agenda pretty much hangs in the balance in Congress, and he might be needed to woo lawmakers, perhaps even with a trip to Capitol Hill himself, reports CNN . Three massive—...
Parties Cut Spending Deal
Adding $400B to Deficit
Dec 19, 2019 5:55 PM CST
Parties Cut Spending Deal Adding $400B to Deficit
Trump will sign $1.4T package, aides say, averting shutdown
- Congress gave final approval to a $1.4 trillion government spending package Thursday on its way out the door for the holidays, avoiding a potential government shutdown this weekend. Aides said President Trump will sign the two bills by the midnight Friday deadline, Politico reports. In funding the government through...
Negotiators Strike Deal on
Border to Avoid Shutdown
Feb 12, 2019 6:21 AM CST
Negotiators Strike Deal on Border to Avoid Shutdown
Measure has $1.4B for fences, not $5.7B for president's proposed wall
- Congressional negotiators announced an agreement late Monday to prevent a government shutdown and finance construction of new barriers along the US-Mexico border, the AP reports. Negotiators tentatively agreed to far less money for President Trump's border wall than the White House's $5.7 billion wish list, settling for...
to Force Shutdown
Dec 17, 2018 5:02 AM CST
Trump Administration 'Absolutely' Prepared to Force Shutdown
Schumer says Trump won't 'get the wall in any form'
- Pushing the government to the brink of a partial shutdown, the White House is insisting that Congress provide $5 billion to build a wall along the US-Mexico border despite lawmaker resistance from both parties, the AP reports. Without a resolution, parts of the federal government will shut down at midnight...
Pelosi Takes Hard Line
on Paying for Border Wall
Dec 7, 2018 1:00 AM CST
Pelosi Takes Hard Line on Paying for Border Wall
Trump warns about 'Boarder Security'
- House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi on Thursday rejected the idea of paying for President Trump's border wall in exchange for helping hundreds of thousands of young immigrants avoid deportation. Funding for the wall—a top Trump priority—and legal protections for so-called Dreamers, a key Democratic goal, should not...
Air Force Confirms It Paid
$30K for 3 Toilet Seat Covers
Jul 16, 2018 9:34 AM CDT
Air Force Confirms It Paid $30K for 3 Toilet Seat Covers
Going forward, the price will drop to $300
- How much can a toilet-seat cover cost? If you're the Air Force, $10,000. The
reports on that eye-popping amount and the technological advances that have now dropped the price-point to an easier-to-swallow level. Three covers, "required to protect the aircraft from corrosion damage in the...
$43K Phone Booth
Broke the Law
Apr 16, 2018 1:54 PM CDT
Scott Pruitt's $43K Phone Booth Broke the Law
Because the EPA didn't notify Congress, a government watchdog finds
- It may be a fresh week for Scott Pruitt , but it's not one void of uncomfortable headlines. ABC News reports a government watchdog has determined the EPA "violated section 710” of the Financial Services and General Government Appropriations Act when it spent $43,000 on a "secure"...
What Almost Derailed
$1.3T Budget Bill:
Name of a Forest
Mar 23, 2018 12:42 AM CDT
What Almost Derailed $1.3T Budget Bill: Name of a Forest
Senate conservatives caused late-night drama
- Congress gave final approval early Friday to a giant $1.3 trillion spending bill that ends the budget battles for now, but only after late obstacles skirted close to another shutdown as conservatives objected to big outlays on Democratic priorities at a time when Republicans control the House, Senate, and...
'Dreamers' Left Behind
in $1.3T Budget Bill
Mar 22, 2018 12:38 AM CDT
'Dreamers' Left Behind in $1.3T Budget Bill
'No bill of this size is perfect,' Ryan says
- Congressional leaders finalized a sweeping $1.3 trillion budget bill Wednesday that substantially boosts military and domestic spending but leaves behind young immigrant "Dreamers," deprives President Trump some of his border wall money, and takes only incremental steps to address gun violence. With an end-of-the-week deadline to fund...
GOP Senator Blames
Trump Aide for Impasse
Jan 22, 2018 6:21 AM CST
GOP Senator Blames Trump Aide for Impasse
Government shutdown stretches into Monday
- A deal to end the government shutdown before the beginning of the workweek failed Sunday night, meaning the first shutdown since 2013 will stretch into Monday—and possibly much longer. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell announced Sunday night that a vote on a deal to fund the government through Feb....
Here's What Americans Paid for
Trump Kids' Security on Ski Trip
Sep 30, 2017 1:51 PM CDT
Here's What Americans Paid for Trump Kids' Security on Ski Trip
- $329,561. That's how much it cost taxpayers to provide security for Ivanka Trump, Jared Kushner, Eric Trump, and their families when they took a ski trip to Aspen last March, reports CBS News , which got the records through a Freedom of Information Act request. The Department of Homeland...
Too Busy to Fly
Sep 21, 2017 10:20 AM CDT
HHS Head Too Busy to Fly Commercial, Says Rep
Democrats are calling for an investigation
- Government officials "check every possible source for travel needs, including commercial, but commercial travel is not always feasible" for Tom Price, who has "an incredibly demanding schedule." That's how a spokesperson defended the Health and Human Services secretary Wednesday after a Politico report claimed Price used...
Trump's HHS Head May Have a
Private Jet Problem: Politico
Sep 20, 2017 2:00 PM CDT
Trump's HHS Head May Have a Private Jet Problem: Politico
Tom Price's 5 recent flights on official business cost an estimated $60K
- Between Sept. 13 and Sept. 15, Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price took five private jet flights for official business, which cost tens of thousands of dollars more than commercial flights would have—a "sharp departure" from the practices of his predecessors, per Politico , and also an odd...
Steve Ballmer's Secret $10M
Site on Gov't Spending Debuts
Apr 18, 2017 11:54 AM CDT
Steve Ballmer's Secret $10M Site on Gov't Spending Debuts
Ex-Microsoft CEO has been compiling monster database for 3 years
- Ask Steve Ballmer about the project he's been quietly working on since he retired as CEO of Microsoft , and he starts gushing with the "excitement of a child showing off a new toy," per the
New York Times
. That three-year project is USAFacts.org , a "first...
Congress Does Its Job, Dodges
Shutdown in Last-Minute Deal
Sep 29, 2016 4:43 AM CDT
Congress Does Its Job, Dodges Shutdown in Last-Minute Deal
There's money for Zika, Flint
- Acutely partisan and all but dysfunctional, Congress has completed its most elementary task after an intense weekslong struggle, finalizing a deal to fund the government just days ahead of a shutdown deadline, the AP reports. The legislation extends existing spending levels a mere 10 weeks, past Election Day, while finally...
Congress Reaches Deal
to Avoid 2016 Shutdown
Dec 16, 2015 5:03 AM CST
Congress Reaches Deal to Avoid 2016 Shutdown
Package includes sweeteners for both sides
- Congressional leaders have reached a deal that will let them go home for the holidays and avoid spending most of 2016 squabbling about government shutdowns. House Speaker Paul Ryan told GOP lawmakers on Tuesday night that a $1.1 trillion omnibus funding bill that will keep the government running until...
Senate OKs Deal
to End Budget Fights
Oct 30, 2015 2:15 AM CDT
Senate OKs Deal to End Budget Fights
2-year deal is on its way to Obama's desk
- Early on Friday, Congress sent President Obama an ambitious budget and debt measure that averts a catastrophic national default and sets spending priorities for the next two years. The Senate voted 64-35 to approve the bill just after 3am EDT, with Democrats and Republican defense hawks uniting to overcome opposition...
House GOP Leaders
Reach 2-Year Budget Deal
Oct 27, 2015 6:03 AM CDT
House GOP Leaders Reach 2-Year Budget Deal
Boehner's last deal will make it a lot easier for Ryan
- House GOP leaders struck a budget deal made with the White House just before midnight Monday aimed at averting a government shutdown and forestalling a debt crisis. Speaker John Boehner is making one final appeal to restive Republicans: Pass the hard-won agreement with President Obama before Rep. Paul Ryan assumes...
Congress Playing With Fire
on Infrastructure Spending
May 20, 2015 1:20 PM CDT
Congress Playing With Fire on Infrastructure Spending
Atlantic writer: We need a long-term fix, not 60-day stopgaps
- One thing both parties agree on is that the way we fund projects to repair roads, rails, and bridges is a joke, writes Russell Berman at the
. Witness the House vote earlier this week to keep the Highway Trust Fund alive—for only another two months. Without the fund,...
NASA Wasted $349M
on 'Ghost Tower'
in case you missed it
Dec 20, 2014 11:00 AM CST
NASA Wasted $349M on 'Ghost Tower'
Unused project to cost $700K per year to keep up
- Four years ago, NASA knew it wouldn't likely use a giant tower originally intended to test rockets—because the testing program was canceled. Yet the agency kept building the A-3 test stand and finally finished the $349 million project in June. And the costs keep coming, with the Mississippi...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Had an Affair—and a Daughter
Pastor Warns Things 'Might Get Nasty.' They Did
Giant Swing in Polls Doesn't Bode Well for Democrats
Focus Returns to a Maskless Justice Gorsuch
After Assault, Nurse Dies in Same Hospital She Served
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.