Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
A Buggy Was Rear-Ended.
8 Children Were Orphaned
Oct 21, 2021 1:52 AM CDT
A Buggy Was Rear-Ended. 8 Children Were Orphaned
The Esh family was close to their Virginia home when they were hit
- Eight children were injured—and left orphaned—on Sunday night when their family's horse-drawn buggy was rear-ended in central Virginia. The Amish family's buggy, which did have working lights and the required reflective "slow-moving vehicle" placard, was hit by a Toyota Tundra that initially left the scene...
Amish Group Wins Septic Tank
Case Before Supreme Court
Jul 2, 2021 4:10 PM CDT
Amish Group Wins Septic Tank Case Before Supreme Court
Minnesota county tried to force families from homes unless systems were installed
- The US Supreme Court sided Friday with members of an Amish group in Minnesota who are fighting efforts by authorities to compel them to install septic systems, sending their appeal back to a state court for reconsideration in light of the high court's recent ruling in a religious freedom...
Remains Found in
Search for Linda Stoltzfoos
Apr 22, 2021 12:42 AM CDT
Remains Found in Search for Linda Stoltzfoos
Amish teen was allegedly abducted by Justo Smoker last June
- Remains have been found in the search for Linda Stoltzfoos, the Amish 18-year-old who went missing while walking home from church last June . The coroner's office still needs to identify the remains, which were found in a rural area of Pennsylvania, as well as determine the cause and manner...
At Funeral for 4 Children,
Family Gets Grim News
May 4, 2020 5:50 PM CDT
At Funeral for 4 Children, Family Gets Grim News
'The fifth child was reunited with the other four'
- As the Hochstetler family held a funeral service Saturday for four children who died in a buggy accident three days earlier, Kentucky officials entered with grim news: The body of a fifth child had been found. "It was difficult for everybody, but there was also a sigh of relief...
4 Children Dead as Buggy
Overturns in Flood Waters
Apr 30, 2020 11:42 AM CDT
4 Children Dead as Buggy Overturns in Flood Waters
Another Amish child missing after Wednesday accident in Kentucky
- Four Amish children have been found dead and another remains missing after a horse and buggy overturned in flood waters in Kentucky on Wednesday. The carriage overturned shortly before 5pm as the children and their mother were attempting to cross a low-water bridge over a flooded stream in Bath County,...
Investigation Calls Sex Abuse
'Open Secret' Among Amish
Jan 21, 2020 5:30 PM CST
Investigation Calls Sex Abuse 'Open Secret' Among Amish
But women are beginning to come forward
- It is not the typical image that comes to mind in regard to bucolic Amish communities. But a story by Type Investigations and
reports that sexual abuse, including incest, is an "open secret spanning generations" among the Amish. The investigation cites a slew of factors that lead to...
Country Doctor's Tiny Practice
Sees Extremely Rare Illnesses
in case you missed it
Oct 26, 2019 5:20 PM CDT
Country Doctor's Tiny Practice Sees Extremely Rare Illnesses
James DeLine serves a tiny community in Wisconsin, becomes genetic expert
- James DeLine is the country doctor in the Wisconsin village of La Farge, which has a population of 750. The 65-year-old makes house calls with his medical bag and knows everybody by name, along with their medical histories. But the image of the quaint country doctor gets thrown for a...
in Missouri Crash
Jul 12, 2019 1:05 AM CDT
Mennonite Carriage 'Literally Destroyed' in Missouri Crash
Boy killed, 4 seriously injured
- A pickup truck slammed into a horse-drawn carriage in Missouri on Thursday, killing an 8-year-old Mennonite boy and seriously injuring four members of his family, including two other children, authorities say. The crash happened at around 6:45am in a remote area of St. Francois County, about 80 miles southwest...
Driver Charged in Wreck
That Killed 3 Amish Children
Jun 9, 2019 6:09 AM CDT
Driver Charged in Wreck That Killed 3 Amish Children
Mich. police say Tyler Frye was intoxicated when he plowed into back of buggy in Michigan
- A man is now charged in the deaths of three Amish children after Michigan police say he drove his truck into the back of their buggy , reports CNN . The driver, identified as Tyler Frye, has been charged on three counts of operating under the influence causing death, two counts of...
Pickup Hits Amish
Carriage, Killing 2
Jun 8, 2019 2:30 PM CDT
Pickup Hits Amish Carriage, Killing 2
Two other children were hospitalized
- Authorities say a pickup truck rear-ended an Amish horse-drawn carriage in southern Michigan, killing two children and seriously injuring two others and a woman who were in the carriage, the AP reports. The state police say the two adults and five children who were in the carriage were ejected when...
Horse Manure Figures in
Fight Over Religious Freedom
Jan 29, 2017 9:33 AM CST
Horse Manure Figures in Fight Over Religious Freedom
Two Amish men in rural Kentucky say a law requiring horse diapers is unfair
- An unusual clash about religious freedom is playing out in the small city of Auburn, Kentucky: It's all about horse diapers, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. Two local Amish men have filed a lawsuit against the city, its mayor, and its police chief, accusing them of violating their ability...
Cops Raid Amish Party,
Arrest 75 Teens
Sep 7, 2016 6:03 AM CDT
Cops Raid Amish Party, Arrest 75 Teens
Undercover officer spotted underage drinking
- Cops in Holmes County, Ohio, took the rum out of a lot of Rumspringas over the weekend with a huge raid on a party packed with Amish teens. Police say around 75 people were arrested for underage drinking after the raid on a field party Saturday night, the
Here's Why Amish
Kids Don't Get
Asthma as Often
Aug 4, 2016 6:39 PM CDT
Here's Why Amish Kids Don't Get Asthma as Often
They can probably thank the cows
- You're probably less likely to see an Amish kid carrying around an inhaler, because they don't seem to get asthma as often as other kids—and researchers think it's due to the cows, Live Science reports. In a study published in the
New England Journal of Medicine
Amish Man Runs
Nov 21, 2015 3:01 PM CST
Amish Man Runs Marathon Wearing Traditional Clothes
And he did pretty great to boot, English
- An Amish man turned heads as he whizzed by fellow runners at a recent marathon—not because of his speed but because of his unusual racing attire. Leroy Stolzfus, 22, finished the 26.2-mile Harrisburg Marathon on Nov. 8 in just over three hours and five minutes, all while wearing...
Battle Is Over
Oct 9, 2015 10:52 AM CDT
Amish Girl's Forced Chemo Battle Is Over
Judge ends oversight in the case
- A judge formally ended the court-ordered guardianship of an Amish girl who resisted a hospital's attempts to force her to resume chemotherapy, bringing a close to the fight that raised questions about the rights of parents in making medical decisions for their children. The judge's decision, announced Friday,...
Man Posing for Photos
Along Lake Michigan Drowns
Sep 21, 2015 7:22 AM CDT
Man Posing for Photos Along Lake Michigan Drowns
Earl Helmuth, an Amish man, did not know how to swim
- On Saturday night a 24-year-old Indiana man posed for photos alongside the woman he was due to marry; it was the last thing the two would do together. Earl Helmuth was swept off a lighthouse pier in Michigan City, Ind., by a wave thought to be at least 7 feet...
Amish Plan 'Garage Raising'
for Couple Who Returned Girls
Aug 27, 2014 12:07 AM CDT
Amish Plan 'Garage Raising' for Couple Who Returned Girls
Grateful family 'won't take no for an answer'
- Jeffrey and Pamela Stinson don't need a barn, so the Amish community plans to hold a "garage raising" for the upstate New York couple who returned two young girls who had been kidnapped and sexually abused . The couple tell the
Watertown Daily Times
via the AP that the...
Cops: Couple Lured
Amish Girls With Puppy
Aug 22, 2014 1:38 AM CDT
Cops: Couple Lured Amish Girls With Puppy
Vaisey, Howells 'planned to make girls their slaves'
- The upstate New York couple accused of kidnapping and sexually abusing two Amish sisters planned to make the girls their slaves, police say. At a hearing yesterday, a police officer testified that Nicole Vaisey and Stephen Howells were on what they called a "shopping trip" when they seized the...
Captors Sexually Abused Amish Girls: DA
Aug 17, 2014 9:30 AM CDT
Captors Sexually Abused Amish Girls: DA
Nicole Vaisey's lawyer claims she was in abusive relationship
- The two Amish girls kidnapped from a roadside farmstand in Upstate New York were sexually abused by their captors, St. Lawrence County DA Mary Rain confirms to the Syracuse
. Stephen Howells, 39, and 25-year-old girlfriend Nicole Vaisey have each been charged with two counts of kidnapping; it's unclear...
Couple Charged With Kidnapping 2 Amish Sisters
Aug 16, 2014 11:45 AM CDT
Couple Charged With Kidnapping 2 Amish Sisters
Police suspect they were planning to go after more victims
- Police say they've caught the abductors of two young Amish sisters in northern New York, reports AP . Stephen Howells, 39, and girlfriend Nicole Vaisey, 25, are charged with kidnapping, and St. Lawrence County Sheriff Kevin Wells said today there was a "definite potential" that the couple would have...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
Black Guest Badgered by Staff Member at Palace Event
She Was Behind Some of Fleetwood Mac's Biggest Hits
Cruise Passenger Found in Gulf Was Seconds From Death
The House Elects a New Generation of Leaders
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.