Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
She Left the US to Join
ISIS. Now, a SCOTUS Decision
Jan 13, 2022 7:50 AM CST
She Left the US to Join ISIS. Now, a SCOTUS Decision
Supreme Court won't hear appeal of Hoda Muthana, who went to Syria in 2014, wants to come back
She was born in New Jersey and raised in Alabama, but it looks like Hoda Muthana won't be going back to either anytime soon. On Monday, the US Supreme Court refused, without comment, to hear an appeal from the 27-year-old—who'd left Alabama to join the Islamic...
For 2nd Straight Week,
Mosque Attack Kills Dozens
Oct 15, 2021 8:55 AM CDT
For 2nd Straight Week, Mosque Attack Kills Dozens
Suicide bombers suspected to be from Islamic State target worshipers in Afghanistan
- Suicide bombers assaulted a Shiite mosque in southern Afghanistan that was packed with worshippers attending weekly Friday prayers, killing at least 37 people and wounding more than 70, according to a hospital official and an eyewitness. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack on the Imam Barga...
Dozens Killed in
Suicide Blast at
Oct 8, 2021 9:50 AM CDT
Dozens Killed in Suicide Blast at Afghanistan Mosque
Taliban officials say Shiite minority was targeted
- A blast went off Friday at a mosque packed with Shiite Muslim worshippers in northern Afghanistan, killing or wounding at least 100 people, a Taliban police official said. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the blast, which took place in Kunduz, the capital of Kunduz province, but militants...
France Says It Killed
Regional ISIS Leader
Sep 16, 2021 4:19 AM CDT
France Says It Killed Regional ISIS Leader
Adnan Abu Walid al-Sahrawi was killed weeks ago, French defense officials say
- France killed the leader of Islamic State in the Greater Sahara because the group attacked French aid workers, African civilians, and US troops, French officials said Thursday, calling him "enemy No. 1" in protracted anti-terrorism efforts in the Sahel. French President Emmanuel Macron announced the death of Adnan Abu...
After Paris Terror Suspect's
Outburst, 'You Bastard' Is Heard
Sep 8, 2021 3:14 PM CDT
After Paris Terror Suspect's Outburst, 'You Bastard' Is Heard
'We suffered 130 deaths, you bastard,' somebody said from back of courtroom
- The trial of 20 men accused of involvement in the 2015 Paris terror attacks got underway Wednesday —and it was soon disrupted by an outburst from the main suspect, Saleh Abdeslam. The
reports that Abdeslam, believed to be the only survivor of the group that carried out the...
Group 'More Extreme' Than
the Taliban Struck in Kabul
Aug 27, 2021 8:42 AM CDT
Group 'More Extreme' Than the Taliban Struck in Kabul
Here's what we know about ISIS-K
- The group claiming responsibility for Thursday's bombings near Kabul's airport, which killed 13 US service members and at least 95 Afghans, is the Islamic State Khorasan, or ISIS-K. This is the affiliate of the Islamic State in Afghanistan and Pakistan. What we know:
How it formed:
UNESCO's Plan to Rebuild From
ISIS Doesn't Go Over Well
Jun 28, 2021 8:49 AM CDT
UNESCO's Plan to Rebuild From ISIS Doesn't Go Over Well
Critics of Mosul landmark getting rebuilt after ISIS destruction say plan ignores Iraq's heritage
- A UNESCO competition to rebuild devastated landmarks in one of the world's oldest cities isn't going over well. The UN agency launched its "Revive the Spirit of Mosul" project after the Islamic State occupied the Iraqi city from 2014 to 2017, wreaking havoc on its heritage sites,...
Militant Foes: Boko
Haram's Leader Is Dead
Jun 7, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
Militant Foes: Boko Haram's Leader Is Dead
Abubakar Shekau reportedly died in May 18 suicide
- Big news out of Nigeria about Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau, courtesy of the Islamic State West African Province militant group, which splintered off from Boko Haram five years ago. "God has judged him by sending him to heaven," ISWAP chief Abu Musab al-Barnawi can be heard saying...
Disturbing Allegations in Africa;
Green Berets Enter the Fray
Mar 16, 2021 11:51 AM CDT
Disturbing Allegations in Africa; Green Berets Enter the Fray
Human rights group says insurgents in Mozambique are beheading children
- An insurgency in Mozambique that began in 2017 is escalating in intensity and leading to disturbing new claims from human rights groups. This week, the UK aid group Save the Children accused insurgents allied with the Islamic State of beheading children as young as 11, reports Reuters . The aid agency...
Widow, 13 Others Guilty
Dec 16, 2020 2:11 PM CST
Widow, 13 Others Guilty in
Paris terror trial lasted 3 months
- The fugitive widow of an Islamic State gunman and a man described as his logistician on Wednesday were convicted of terrorism charges in the trial of 14 people linked to the January 2015 attacks in Paris against the satirical
newspaper and a kosher supermarket. The Jan. 7-9, 2015...
Trump: Pull US Troops Out
of This Nation by January
Dec 5, 2020 6:00 AM CST
Trump: Pull US Troops Out of This Nation by January
Somalia joins Afghanistan and Iraq in Trump's end-of-term troop drawdowns
- Last month, US officials announced President Trump would be pulling a significant number of US troops out of Afghanistan and Iraq by January. Now, another country joins the list, in a different part of the world. The Pentagon said Friday that nearly all of the 700 American troops in Somalia...
Boy Was Forced
Trump. Now, 'It's
All Behind Me'
Nov 23, 2020 10:40 AM CST
Boy Was Forced to Threaten Trump. Now, 'It's All Behind Me'
Matthew, now 13, was just 10 when stepfather made him appear in ISIS propaganda video
- In April 2015, an 8-year-old American boy named Matthew was dragged into Syria by his mother, Samantha Sally, and stepfather, Moussa Elhassani, with Elhassani determined to become a sniper for the Islamic State. Five years later, Matthew is 13 and back in the US, and he's now telling the...
Death Toll Climbs in Vienna,
Where '100 Rounds' Rang Out
Nov 3, 2020 6:49 AM CST
Death Toll Climbs in Vienna, Where '100 Rounds' Rang Out
Suspect was ISIS 'sympathizer' with previous terror conviction: officials
- Four victims have been confirmed dead following a terror attack in Vienna in which at least one shooter fired at people enjoying a night out in the city on the eve of a national lockdown. The death toll includes two men and two women, in addition to one shooter. Fifteen...
Suspect in Teacher's
Beheading Was a Teenager
Oct 17, 2020 2:30 PM CDT
Suspect in Teacher's Beheading Was a Teenager
Officials have arrested 9 suspects in the killing of teacher Samuel Paty
- A suspect shot dead by police after the beheading of a history teacher near Paris was an 18-year-old Chechen refugee unknown to intelligence services who posted a grisly claim of responsibility on social media minutes after the attack, officials said Saturday. France’s anti-terrorism prosecutor’s office said authorities investigating...
In Case of the ISIS
'Beatles,' a Milestone
Oct 7, 2020 10:50 AM CDT
In Case of the ISIS 'Beatles,' a Milestone
El Shafee Elsheikh, Alexanda Kotey are indicted, accused of beheadings, torture of Westerners
- The Justice Department unsealed charges Wednesday against two Islamic State militants from Britain, accusing them of carrying out a gruesome campaign of torture, beheadings, and other acts of violence against Western hostages they'd captured in Syria, including four Americans. El Shafee Elsheikh and Alexanda Kotey are two of four...
ISIS 'Beatles' Escape
US Death Penalty
Aug 20, 2020 12:57 AM CDT
ISIS 'Beatles' Escape US Death Penalty
William Barr assures UK they will not be executed if convicted in US
- Two members of the Islamic State four-member cell dubbed the "Beatles" because of their British accents will not face the death penalty in the US. Alexanda Kotey and El Shafee Elsheikh were captured in Syria in 2018 and ultimately transferred to Iraq, where they are currently in US military...
Aug 12, 2020 6:35 PM CDT
US Commander: Islamic State Is Growing Yet Again
Gen. Frank McKenzie sees trouble brewing
- Elements of the Islamic State group are working to rebuild in western Syria, where the US has little visibility or presence, the top US commander for the Middle East warned on Wednesday, the AP reports. In the region west of the Euphrates River where the Syrian regime is in control...
They Hid Under Beds.
One Mom Was Killed
Holding Her Newborn
May 13, 2020 10:50 AM CDT
They Hid Under Beds. One Mom Was Killed Holding Her Newborn
Death toll in pair of attacks Tuesday in Afghanistan climbs to 56
- The death toll in Tuesday's attack on an Afghan hospital's maternity ward has climbed to 24, while deaths from a later attack on a funeral have risen to 32, per the BBC . The terror began around 10am with blasts and gunfire heard at the Dasht-e-Barchi hospital in Kabul....
Navy Chief Stands in 'Open
Defiance' of the President
Nov 23, 2019 2:45 PM CST
Navy Chief Stands in 'Open Defiance' of the President
US Navy Secretary Richard Spencer wants review of Edward Gallagher to continue
- The battle over a tarnished Navy SEAL is heating up in Washington. On Friday, US Navy Secretary Richard Spencer lent his support to a pending Navy panel that will decide the military future of Edward Gallagher—despite President Trump's assertion that Gallagher remain a SEAL, Reuters reports. "I...
Capture of Baghdadi
Wife, With Trump Dig
Nov 6, 2019 10:05 AM CST
Erdogan Announces Capture of Baghdadi Wife, With Trump Dig
Turkey's president appears to reference Trump's post-raid address
- Turkey is heralding another victory against the Islamic State: the capture of one of former ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi's wives. President Recep Tayyip Erdogan made the announcement Wednesday during a speech at Ankara University, adding an apparent dig at President Trump's post-raid address to the nation. Following...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Had an Affair—and a Daughter
Skier May Face Manslaughter Charges After Deadly Collision
Mass Killer Gives Nazi Salute at Parole Hearing
Airlines Have a Dire Warning on 5G Rollout
Pastor Warns Things 'Might Get Nasty.' They Did
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.