Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
US to Give Ukraine Tanks
It Argued Were Too Complex
Jan 25, 2023 11:47 AM CST
US to Give Ukraine Tanks It Argued Were Too Complex
31 Abrams tanks will be sent, but likely not for many months
- As expected, President Biden on Wednesday announced that the US is following Germany's lead and will supply Ukraine with tanks. Some 31 Abrams tanks, which the president described as equivalent to one Ukrainian battalion, will be sent. Standout points:
BBC Washington correspondent Gary O'Donoghue writes that the US
Ukraine Begged for Tanks.
It's Finally Getting Them
Jan 25, 2023 6:33 AM CST
Ukraine Begged for Tanks. It's Finally Getting Them
Germany says it will send its Leopard 2 heavy tanks; US expected to send its M1 Abrams tanks
- Earlier this month, NATO allies, including the US, agreed to send combat vehicles to Ukraine to assist it in its fight against Russia. Now, Western nations are taking things up a level, at Ukraine's request, promising to ship heavier weaponry, including tanks, to the war-torn country. On Wednesday, Germany...
US Extends Deployment
at the Edge of War
Jan 21, 2023 4:00 PM CST
US Extends Deployment at the Edge of War
Pressure increases on Germany to provide tanks to Ukraine
- About 4,000 US soldiers with the 101st Airborne Division will remain in southeast Romania for at least nine months longer, Pentagon officials said Saturday. The troops are stationed at Mihail Kogalniceanu Air Base, across the Black Sea from Russian forces in Crimea, the
New York Times
Strikes Hit Ukraine Cities
as UK Promises Tanks
Jan 14, 2023 3:15 PM CST
Strikes Hit Ukraine Cities as UK Promises Tanks
Nine people are killed in one city in missile attack
- UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak on Saturday promised to provide tanks and artillery systems to Ukraine, as renewed missile attacks by Moscow targeted multiple Ukrainian cities for the first time in nearly two weeks. Nine people were killed and 64 wounded in the southeastern city of Dnipro, where a Russian...
US, Other Allies Sending
Combat Vehicles to Ukraine
Jan 5, 2023 5:20 PM CST
US, Other Allies Sending Combat Vehicles to Ukraine
New American aid package is nearly $3B
- As the Russian-spurred war in Ukraine enters a new calendar year, Ukraine continues to push back hard, and its president is reupping an ask of Western allies. In a Wednesday night video address, Volodymyr Zelensky pleaded specifically for tanks and heavy weaponry, as officials in the country's east say...
Tanks' Role in
Modern Warfare Is
Jun 19, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Tanks' Role in Modern Warfare Is Being Questioned
Russia has lost hundreds of them to missiles, drones in Ukraine
- One of the most enduring sights from early in Russia's war in Ukraine was wrecked Russian tanks, which were destroyed or captured by the hundreds as Russian forces tried to press toward Kyiv. The "woeful" performance of Russia's tanks, especially the T-72 workhorse of the Russian military,...
There's a Problem
With the Design of
May 1, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
There's a Problem With the Design of Russia's Tanks
The way the ammunition is stored can lead to catastrophic results
- There's a problem with Russia's tanks—one born out of a design decision that was intended to make them better. As
explains in detail, Russia's T-72 series and subsequent tanks trade the traditional four-man set-up for a design that only requires three crewmembers by automating the...
Man Who Kept Nazi-Era Tank
in Basement Finds Out His Fate
Aug 7, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
Man Who Kept Nazi-Era Tank in Basement Finds Out His Fate
It's a fine of $300K, plus a suspended 14-month prison sentence for German senior
- In took 20 soldiers nearly nine hours to extract a Nazi-era military tank from an elderly German man's basement in 2015, just one of the many eyebrow-raising items found in his Heikendorf home. The man was also in possession of an anti-aircraft gun, a torpedo, machine guns and assault...
Big Lawsuit Emerges Over
Fatality in Vintage Tank
Nov 5, 2018 10:05 AM CST
Big Lawsuit Emerges Over Fatality in Vintage Tank
Shell explosion in Oregon killed Steve Preston, young assistant
- Oregon's Steve Preston died in 2015 while doing one of his favorite things: firing old shells from a World War II-era tank on a firing range. His death came when one of those shells misfired, and now his family is seeking almost $13 million in a lawsuit from the...
Man Drives Tank Into
Store, Steals Bottle of Wine
Jan 11, 2018 7:29 PM CST
Man Drives Tank Into Store, Steals Bottle of Wine
Witnesses note he seemed drunk
- On Wednesday morning in a Russian town just south of the Arctic Circle, a tank rumbled through the snowy streets before crashing into a convenience store, the
reports. Reuters notes that witnesses at the scene "did not seem particularly disturbed by the incident." It all started when...
WWII Tank Crushes Man
at Jelly Belly Chief's Home
Aug 25, 2015 8:19 AM CDT
WWII Tank Crushes Man at Jelly Belly Chief's Home
Herman Rowland's son-in-law had permission to drive tank
- A 54-year-old man was killed after being run over by a World War II-era tank over the weekend, but he wasn't on any kind of battlefield. Kevin Wright was attending a family reunion at the Fairfield, Calif., home of Jelly Belly Chairman Herman Rowland Sr. on Saturday when he...
WWII Tank Was Stashed
in 78-Year-Old's Cellar
Jul 6, 2015 7:19 AM CDT
WWII Tank Was Stashed in 78-Year-Old's Cellar
Prosecutors previously found stolen Nazi art in the pensioner's villa
- It took 20 soldiers almost nine hours to remove a World War II "Panther" tank from a pensioner's cellar in a wealthy community in northern Germany—and that's in spite of the fact that the German army sent in modern recovery tanks to help confiscate the vintage...
New Russian Tank
May Work on Its
Own One Day
Jun 12, 2015 11:40 AM CDT
New Russian Tank May Work on Its Own One Day
One designer says the Armata drives and feels like a modern SUV
- Russia's new tank, the Armata, is expected to form the backbone of the nation's armed forces for years to come. Its designers say the new machine may evolve into a fully robotic vehicle that could operate autonomously on the battlefield. Here's a look at some of the...
Confront Ukrainian Troops
Apr 16, 2014 8:51 AM CDT
Pro-Russia Civilians Confront Ukrainian Troops
NATO pledges heightened preparation
- Ukraine continues its descent into chaos and confusion: With tanks and troops entering the Ukrainian town of Kramatorsk , the BBC reports that Ukrainian forces have run right into resistance from pro-Russia civilians. An officer noted that he would never attack his "own people"; another soldier said locals have been...
Shots Fired as
Ukraine Says It Has
Apr 15, 2014 11:25 AM CDT
Shots Fired as Ukraine Says It Has Retaken Airport
Tanks spotted, but so far no action reported
- Ukraine appears to have at last followed through on its threats to use military force against separatists in the east. Heavy gunfire rang out inside Kramatorsk air base today, Sky News reports. Interim Ukrainian President Oleksander Turchinov announced that Ukrainian troops had retaken the base, driving out the pro-Russian militiamen...
for Syria Rebels
Aug 3, 2012 10:14 AM CDT
Britain: We'll Boost Support for Syria Rebels
Regime's arsenal looks shaky
- With Kofi Annan stepping down from his diplomatic post, Britain is trying to pick up the slack in Syria. Foreign Secretary William Hague today promised more "practical but non-lethal support to the opposition," citing "communications" as an example, Reuters reports. "We don't give up on...
May 3, 2012 5:44 PM CDT
Tank Crushes Minnesota House (on Purpose)
It was set for demolition anyway
- A Minnesota house was due to be demolished—so locals figured they might as well plow through it with a tank. The 150-year-old home in Kasota went out with a bang thanks to a company called "Drive a Tank." The firm offers civilians the chance to, well, drive...
Aug 8, 2011 11:07 AM CDT
Saudi King Condemns Syrian Violence
Kuwait, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia withdraw ambassadors
- With tanks continuing an onslaught against Syria’s uprising, Saudi Arabia’s king voiced harsh criticism of the crackdown and withdrew his ambassador to the country. “What is happening in Syria is not acceptable for Saudi Arabia,” King Abdullah said in a televised statement, calling on authorities to...
May 25, 2011 4:03 AM CDT
Cops Seize Tank From Mexican Drug Gang
Home-made tank captured after shootout
- The arms race between rival Mexican drug cartels is showing no signs of slowing down. Police have seized the second "narcotank" in a month from the Zetas cartel, CNN reports. The home-made tank—a Ford truck with steel plating, gun ports, a rotating turret, and a battering ram—was...
NATO Won't Apologize for Bombing Rebel Tanks
Apr 8, 2011 7:17 AM CDT
NATO Won't Apologize for Bombing Rebel Tanks
Four killed in airstrike yesterday
- A NATO airstrike hit a rebel tank convoy yesterday, killing at least four people and, according to one driver in the convoy, damaging or destroying eight tanks. Gen. Abdul Fattah Younes demanded an apology, telling the
New York Times
that his forces gave NATO plenty of advance warning that their...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.