Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Aung San Suu Kyi
Stories 1 - 20 |
Aung San Suu Kyi
Sentenced to 4 Years
Dec 6, 2021 1:07 AM CST
Aung San Suu Kyi Sentenced to 4 Years
In the first of a series of cases against her
- A special court in Myanmar’s capital sentenced the country’s ousted leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, to four years in prison on Monday after finding her guilty of incitement and violating coronavirus restrictions, a legal official said. The sentencing was the first in a series of cases in which...
General: I'm Prime Minister Now
Aug 1, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
General: I'm Prime Minister Now
Myanmar's ruler promises elections in 2 years
- Six months after seizing power from the elected government, Myanmar's military leader on Sunday declared himself prime minister and said he would lead the country under the extended state of emergency until elections are held in about two years. "We must create conditions to hold a free and...
Human Rights Watch: Suu Kyi
Being Tried on 'Bogus' Charges
Jun 14, 2021 4:36 PM CDT
Human Rights Watch: Suu Kyi Being Tried on 'Bogus' Charges
Human Rights Watch says charges are a ploy to keep her from running for election again
- Myanmar’s ousted leader Aung San Suu Kyi went on trial Monday on charges that many observers say are an attempt by the junta that deposed her to eliminate her as a political force, erase the country’s democratic gains, and cement the military’s power. Suu Kyi's...
Soldiers Kill 7-Year-Old in
Her Own Home in Myanmar
Mar 24, 2021 12:41 PM CDT
Soldiers Kill 7-Year-Old in Her Own Home in Myanmar
20 children thought to be among at least 275 people killed since Feb. 1
- More deaths were reported in Myanmar on Tuesday, including that of a 7-year-old girl reportedly shot in her father's arms. Soldiers were raiding homes in Mandalay to look for opponents and weapons when they kicked down the family's door, asking the father whether anyone else was at...
Illegal Walkie-Talkies Behind
Aung San Suu Kyi's Detention
Feb 3, 2021 6:11 AM CST
Illegal Walkie-Talkies Behind Aung San Suu Kyi's Detention
Deposed leader of Myanmar is being remanded in custody until Feb. 15
- On Monday, Myanmar's de facto civilian leader was arrested after her country's military carried out a coup. Now, her party's spokesperson, Kyi Toe, says on his Facebook page that Aung San Suu Kyi will be kept in custody for two weeks, until Feb. 15, over violating import...
People in Myanmar
Make Noise to Protest Coup
Feb 2, 2021 6:36 PM CST
People in Myanmar Make Noise to Protest Coup
'Beating a drum in Myanmar culture is like we are kicking out the devils'
- Scores of people in Myanmar's largest city honked car horns and banged on pots and pans Tuesday in the first known public resistance to the coup led a day earlier by the country's military. What was initially planned to take place for just a few minutes extended to...
Suu Kyi Apparently
Saw This Coup Coming
Feb 1, 2021 1:37 PM CST
Suu Kyi Apparently Saw This Coup Coming
BBC reports she wrote a letter urging followers to protest military takeover in Myanmar
- The world has a coup d'etat on its hands. The military in Myanmar ousted the government of Aung San Suu Kyi on Monday, detaining her and other civilian leaders. Don't expect the situation to change anytime soon: The army declared a state of emergency for one year and...
Carries Out Coup,
Detains Aung San Suu Kyi
Feb 1, 2021 5:01 AM CST
Myanmar Military Carries Out Coup, Detains Aung San Suu Kyi
Military has taken over, transferred power to commander-in-chief of armed forces
- Myanmar's de facto civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi has been detained by the military after the armed forces carried out a coup d'etat, the BBC reports. Suu Kyi's ruling party won enough seats in November's election, just the second since military rule ended in 2011,...
Gives Chinese Leader
Jan 20, 2020 12:10 PM CST
Facebook Translation Gives Chinese Leader Unfortunate Name
Translates 'Xi Jinping' as 'Mr. Shithole'
- Chinese President Xi Jinping recently visited Myanmar , and on the second day of his visit, some awkwardness ensued online. A statement about the visit published on the Facebook page of Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi referred to Xi—but when the page was translated to English, his name came...
Perfect, but No
Dec 11, 2019 9:40 AM CST
Suu Kyi: We Weren't Perfect, but No 'Genocidal Intent'
Myanmar leader describes Rohingya exodus as 'tragic'
- Once touted as a human rights champion, Aung San Suu Kyi defended Myanmar against a claim of genocide on Wednesday, arguing the exodus of 700,000 Muslim Rohingya was an unfortunate consequence of a legitimate response to terrorist violence. Myanmar's security forces launched "counter-insurgency operations" following attacks by...
Nobel Winner in Court,
Accused of Genocide
Dec 10, 2019 10:00 AM CST
Nobel Winner in Court, Accused of Genocide
Aung San Suu Kyi is defending her country, Myanmar, at the Hague
- A genocide hearing got underway at the Hague Tuesday, and it's prompting news outlets such as the BBC ,
, and the
to use the same phrase: "fall from grace." The reference is to Aung San Suu Kyi, who once won the Nobel Peace Prize and...
for a Genocide
Case. A Big Name
Leads the Way
Nov 21, 2019 7:59 AM CST
Myanmar Readies for a Genocide Case. A Big Name Leads the Way
Country leader Aung San Suu Kyi will head legal team in Rohingya case
- Myanmar said Wednesday its leader Aung San Suu Kyi will head the legal team contesting a genocide case filed against it in the International Court of Justice over the crackdown on Rohingya Muslims two years ago that set off their exodus to Bangladesh. Myanmar’s military has been accused of...
Pence Rebukes Suu Kyi
Over 'Deeply Troubling' Issues
Nov 14, 2018 7:41 AM CST
Pence Rebukes Suu Kyi Over 'Deeply Troubling' Issues
VP takes Myanmar leader to task for persecution of Rohingya, arrest of 2 Reuters journalists
- Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi rebuffed criticism from Vice President Mike Pence and other leaders Wednesday over her government's treatment of its ethnic Rohingya Muslims. In a meeting in Singapore, Pence told Suu Kyi he was anxious to hear about progress in resolving the crisis, which stems from...
Its Highest Honor
From Suu Kyi
Nov 13, 2018 12:37 PM CST
Amnesty Yanks Its Highest Honor From Suu Kyi
'We are profoundly dismayed,' group says of Myanmar's civilian leader
- The "Honors and Awards" section of Aung San Suu Kyi's CV is getting slimmer . Amnesty International on Monday announced it has rescinded an award it bestowed upon her in 2009: the Ambassador of Conscience Award, the group's highest honor. At the time, it described Suu Kyi as...
Suu Kyi Is First to Have
Canadian Honor Revoked
Oct 3, 2018 12:11 AM CDT
Suu Kyi Is First to Have Canadian Honor Revoked
Myanmar leader loses honorary citizenship
- Canada's Parliament formally stripped Aung San Suu Kyi of her honorary Canadian citizenship on Tuesday for complicity in the atrocities committed against Myanmar's Rohingya people. The Senate voted unanimously to strip Suu Kyi, Myanmar's civilian leader, of the symbolic honor bestowed on her in 2007. The upper...
UN Investigators Deliver
Gravest Accusation Possible
Aug 27, 2018 7:23 AM CDT
UN Investigators Deliver Gravest Accusation Possible
Panel says Myanmar's military leaders should be prosecuted for genocide
- The word genocide has been used by critics to describe the Myanmar military's brutal crackdown on Rohingya Muslims, but a team of UN investigators has just brought the allegation to a whole new level. The three-member team says the actions of the nation's army meet the strict legal...
Takes Stand Against
Aung San Suu Kyi
Mar 7, 2018 10:30 AM CST
Holocaust Museum Takes Stand Against Aung San Suu Kyi
In 'strong rebuke,' it rescinds Elie Wiesel Award
- The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum gives out its prestigious Elie Wiesel Award to just one person a year, selecting "an internationally prominent individual whose actions have advanced the Museum's vision of a world where people confront hatred, prevent genocide, and promote human dignity." Now, the second...
3 Female Nobel Winners Look
Into Plight Blamed on a 4th
Feb 24, 2018 9:31 AM CST
3 Female Nobel Winners Look Into Plight Blamed on a 4th
The peace laureates will visit Rohingya Muslim women displaced by Aung San Suu Kyi's soldiers
- Three female Nobel Peace laureates began a weeklong trip to Bangladesh on Saturday to meet Rohingya Muslim women who were tortured and raped by soldiers in Myanmar before fleeing the country. During their visit, Iran's Shirin Ebadi, Yemen's Tawakkol Karman, and Northern Ireland's Mairead Maguire will assess...
US Diplomat: If Suu Kyi Was
Closer, 'She Might Have Hit Me'
Jan 25, 2018 8:11 AM CST
US Diplomat: If Suu Kyi Was Closer, 'She Might Have Hit Me'
Bill Richardson resigns from advisory panel after argument with Myanmar leader
- Bill Richardson's resume is a long one: He's the former New Mexico governor, US ambassador to the UN, energy secretary under Bill Clinton, and member of the Advisory Board on Rakhine State. That last role is no longer a current one, and that fact is making waves. Richardson...
Stripped of Honor
Oct 4, 2017 4:47 PM CDT
Myanmar Leader Stripped of Honor Amid Ethnic Cleansing Claims
De facto leader of Myanmar criticized for downplaying the issue
- Oxford recognized Aung San Suu Kyi for her struggle to bring democracy to Myanmar when the city gave her the honorary Freedom of Oxford title in 1997. On Monday night, city councilors decided to withdraw the honor, CNN reports. Suu Kyi, the longtime activist turned de facto leader of Myanmar,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Climber Found Box of Gems on Mont Blanc in 2013. Now, a Windfall
CEO's 'Cold' Zoom Call: 'I Come to You With Not Great News'
Black Couple 'Whitewashed' Home, Saw Appraisal Jump
Guy Who Helped Shooting Suspect's Parents Identifies Self
Restaurant Apologizes for Asking Cops to Leave
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.