Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
New York Stock Exchange
Stories 1 - 20 |
Dow Slips Into the Red
Mar 3, 2022 3:07 PM CST
Dow Slips Into the Red
Index had been positive most of the day
- The markets dropped into negative territory late in the trading day after being up most of the session prior to that, reports CNBC . In the end, the Dow fell 96 points to 33,794, the S&P fell 23 points to 4,363, and the Nasdaq fell 214 points to...
NYSE Reverses Course on
China Decision in 'Bizarre' Move
Jan 5, 2021 1:05 AM CST
NYSE Reverses Course on China Decision in 'Bizarre' Move
Withdraws plans to delist 3 Chinese phone carriers
- The New York Stock Exchange has withdrawn plans to remove shares of three Chinese state-owned phone carriers under an order by President Trump that Beijing warned might lead to retaliation. The exchange cited “further consultation” with regulators but its announcement late Monday gave no other details, the AP reports....
Stocks Surge as NYSE
May 26, 2020 4:02 PM CDT
Stocks Surge as NYSE Partially Reopens
Dow, S&P hit highest levels since March
- Stocks closed higher on Wall Street Tuesday, driving the S&P 500 and Dow Jones Industrial Average to their highest levels in nearly three months as optimism over the reopening of the economy overshadowed lingering worries about the pandemic. The S&P 500 rose 1.2%, for a time climbing...
Traders Return to Wall Street,
With a Catch
May 26, 2020 6:48 AM CDT
Traders Return to Wall Street, With a Catch
Those working at the New York Stock Exchange must sign a liability waiver over COVID
- A little bit of normalcy returns to New York City on Tuesday morning as traders return to the floor of the New York Stock Exchange. Sort of. About a quarter of the normal traders will return to the floor, with the rest continuing to work from home, reports Reuters . The...
New York Stock Exchange
Closing Trading Floor
Mar 18, 2020 4:44 PM CDT
New York Stock Exchange Closing Trading Floor
Trading will go all-electronic starting Monday
- Stocks are closing sharply lower as fears of a prolonged coronavirus-induced recession take hold. The Dow industrials lost 1,338 points, or 6.3%, ending the day below the 20K mark at 19,898 . After a brutal few weeks, the Dow has now lost nearly all of its gains since...
On Historic Day, Markets
Have So-So Performance
May 25, 2018 3:23 PM CDT
On Historic Day, Markets Have So-So Performance
Dow falls 58 as NYSE gets first female president
- Energy companies and oil prices took their worst losses in months following reports that OPEC countries plan to produce more oil soon. The drops Friday left major US market indexes mostly lower at the end of an indecisive week. The Dow Jones industrial average lost 58 points, or 0.2%,...
Former Summer Intern
Makes Stock Exchange History
May 22, 2018 8:05 AM CDT
Former Summer Intern Makes Stock Exchange History
Stacey Cunningham will be first woman to lead the NYSE in its 226-year history
- The New York Stock Exchange for the first time in its 226-year history will be led by a woman, as Stacey Cunningham will become the 67th president of the Big Board, per the AP . That means that two of the world's most well-known exchanges will be led by women....
Stocks Swoon Again;
Dow Sinks 400
Mar 23, 2018 3:28 PM CDT
Stocks Swoon Again; Dow Sinks 400
Traders worried about trade war between US, China
- Stocks sank again Friday, giving Wall Street its worst week in two years, as fear gripped investors that China and the US were headed for a trade war, the AP reports. The Dow Jones industrial average plunged more than 400 points, bringing its weekly decline to 1,400. Technology companies...
Stocks End Sluggish
Week With Small Gains
Mar 16, 2018 3:29 PM CDT
Stocks End Sluggish Week With Small Gains
Energy, industrial companies rose Friday
- The stock market eked out a small gain Friday but still ended the week lower after several days of losses, the AP reports. Energy companies rose along with the price of crude oil. ConocoPhillips gained 1.7%. Banks and industrial companies also ended higher. PNC Financial rose 1.4% and...
Strong Hiring Sends
Stocks, Yields Up
Mar 9, 2018 3:44 PM CST
Strong Hiring Sends Stocks, Yields Up
Nasdaq hits another record high
- Stocks and bond yields rose sharply Friday on Wall Street after the government reported a big increase in hiring last month, the AP reports. Investors were relieved to see that wage growth slowed. A jump in wages a month ago raised worries about inflation. Technology companies wiped out the last...
Late Rally Erases
Early Stock Slide
Mar 2, 2018 3:23 PM CST
Late Rally Erases Early Stock Slide
Investors remain focused on Trump's threat of tariffs
- A late burst of buying Friday erased a sharp drop stocks suffered early in the day, the AP reports. Bond yields and the price of gold rose, both signs that investors expect inflation might tick up. Investors remain focused on President Trump's threat to impose tariffs on steel and...
Plans for Steel, Aluminum
Tariffs Sink US Stocks
Mar 1, 2018 3:20 PM CST
Plans for Steel, Aluminum Tariffs Sink US Stocks
Trump announced tariffs Thursday
- Stocks fell sharply Thursday as investors worried that President Trump's planned tariffs on steel and aluminum will lead to retaliation from other countries, the AP reports. Trump told industry executives he would impose the tariffs next week. The head of the European Commission said the region would respond in...
Stocks End Choppy
Week Slightly Higher
Feb 23, 2018 3:16 PM CST
Stocks End Choppy Week Slightly Higher
Tech, banks led gains Friday
- Stocks are ending the week slightly higher after a two-day rally wiped out losses from earlier in the week, the AP reports. The gains Friday were led by technology and banks. Hewlett Packard Enterprise soared 10.5% and former corporate sibling HP rose 3.5% after both reported solid results....
Stocks End Mostly
Higher on Wall Street
Feb 22, 2018 3:34 PM CST
Stocks End Mostly Higher on Wall Street
Industrial stocks led the way
- Stocks closed mostly higher Thursday on Wall Street after much of a midday rally faded away by the closing bell, the AP reports. Industrial stocks contributed the most to the market's gains. United Technologies rose 3.3% a day after its CEO said the company may split up. Energy...
Stocks Rise for
6th Straight Day
Feb 16, 2018 3:19 PM CST
Stocks Rise for 6th Straight Day
More than half the losses from earlier this month have been wiped out
- Stocks ended an up-and-down day mostly higher Friday, capping a week of strong gains that wiped out more than half of the losses suffered in a series of wild swings in early February, the AP reports. The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose for the sixth day in a...
Tech Leads Stocks
to 5th Straight Gain
Feb 15, 2018 3:25 PM CST
Tech Leads Stocks to 5th Straight Gain
No thanks to energy companies
- A surge in marquee technology companies pushed stocks higher again Thursday on Wall Street, giving the market its fifth gain in a row, the AP reports. The Dow Jones industrial average rose more than 300 points. Big increases from Apple, Microsoft, and Cisco drove the tech sector higher, helping to...
Market Shakes Inflation
Worries, Ends Up
Feb 14, 2018 3:17 PM CST
Market Shakes Inflation Worries, Ends Up
Banks had a good day
- Stocks rose for the fourth day in a row Wednesday on Wall Street after shaking off an early stumble following another sign that inflation was picking up slightly, the AP reports. The market started slightly lower but turned higher within the first hour of trading and kept going. The Dow...
Stocks Swing Back to
Gains, Dow up 330
Feb 9, 2018 3:24 PM CST
Stocks Swing Back to Gains, Dow up 330
But Dow and S&P 500 both end week down over 5% overall
- Stocks staged a late rally Friday, ending a wild week marked by dramatic point swings on a positive note, the AP reports. The Dow Jones industrial average gained 330 points, or 1.4%, to 24,190. Earlier in the day it had dropped by 500. The S&P 500 gained...
Dow Sees 2nd-Worst
Point Decline in Its History
Feb 8, 2018 3:47 PM CST
Dow Sees 2nd-Worst Point Decline in Its History
But some experts say not to worry
- The Dow Jones industrial average plunged more than 1,000 points on Thursday as a weeklong market swoon continued, the AP reports. Worries about inflation set the market rout in motion last Friday, and many market watchers have been predicting a pullback after the market's relentless march higher...
Stocks End Lower
After Wobbly Day
Feb 7, 2018 3:33 PM CST
Stocks End Lower After Wobbly Day
Tech companies hit by some of the biggest losses
- Stocks are ending a wobbly Wednesday lower, but with far less volatility than the market has seen over the previous three days, the AP reports. Technology companies posted some of the biggest losses. Apple gave up 2.1% and Facebook lost 2.8%. Energy companies also fell. Exxon Mobil gave...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
What We Know About the Buffalo Mass Shooting
This Nude Is Now Most Expensive Photo Ever
'Holy Cow. Plants Actually Grow in Lunar Stuff'
Thomas: Justices Don't Trust Each Other Anymore
Women Fell Hard for Him. Many Say It Cost Them
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.