Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Here's Why Steve Left
Sep 8, 2021 1:07 PM CDT
Host: Here's Why Steve Left
'I didn't know I needed closure until now,' fan says after heartwarming message
- Steve Burns, original host of
, marked the 25th anniversary of the launch of the beloved Nickelodeon series with a heartwarming message for fans—and an explanation for his abrupt departure in 2002. In a video posted on the Nick Jr. Twitter account, Burns, wearing the outfit he...
Jun 23, 2021 7:00 PM CDT
Actor Could Get Prison After Guilty Pleas
Drake Bell admits to attempted child endangerment charge
- A Nickelodeon star charged with child endangerment has reached a plea deal. Drake Bell pleaded guilty in a virtual court appearance Wednesday to two charges: attempted child endangerment and disseminating material harmful to juveniles. The
Drake & Josh
actor, 34, was arrested and charged this month in Cleveland,
Tweet May Finally Settle
Jun 14, 2020 2:10 PM CDT
Tweet May Finally Settle SpongeBob's Sexuality
Nickelodeon tweets about the character for Pride month
- Nickelodeon rekindled the question of SpongeBob Squarepants' sexuality Saturday with a tweet celebrating Pride month,
reports. "Celebrating #Pride with the LGBTQ+ community and their allies this month and every month," the tweet reads along with images of Spongebob, Michael Cohen from
and Avatar Korra...
Jun 22, 2019 8:30 AM CDT
Latest Dominican Republic Sickness: a
Melissa Rycroft is recovering at home after falling ill at Nickelodeon resort in Punta Cana
- As troubling stories of mysterious illnesses and deaths in the Dominican Republic continue to mount , a familiar name to many has been caught up in the fray. Melissa Rycroft vacationed with her husband and three young children at Punta Cana's Nickelodeon resort earlier this month, and her rep tells...
Not Surprisingly, a 'Baby Shark'
TV Series Is in the Works
Jun 6, 2019 2:13 PM CDT
Not Surprisingly, a 'Baby Shark' TV Series Is in the Works
Viral preschool hit is apparently not going anywhere
- Just when you thought we'd reached Peak Baby Shark, Nickelodeon has come up with yet another way to make sure you're never able to get the song out of your head. The network is developing an animated series based on the tune, though there's no word yet...
Nickelodeon Producer 'Sorry'
for Sexual Harassment
Oct 24, 2017 12:02 AM CDT
Nickelodeon Producer 'Sorry' for Sexual Harassment
Chris Savino has been accused by 12 women
- A fired Nickelodeon producer facing allegations of sexual harassment is expressing regret over his behavior, the AP reports. Chris Savino, creator of the animated series
The Loud House
, posted the apology on his Facebook page. Savino wrote Monday that he's "deeply sorry" and ashamed that his words and...
Amazon Scores Big
Win Over Netflix
Jun 4, 2013 11:02 AM CDT
Amazon Scores Big Win Over Netflix
Viacom brings content to online retailer
- Last month, with the two companies at odds over renewal terms, Viacom's licensing deal with Netflix ended. Now, Viacom is bringing its shows, from the likes of Nickelodeon, MTV, and Comedy Central, over to Amazon in a multiyear streaming deal , the
Wall Street Journal
reports. (You can see them...
Critics Say Kids' Websites
Gather Data Illegally
Aug 22, 2012 4:47 PM CDT
Critics Say Kids' Websites Gather Data Illegally
McDonald's, Nickelodeon, and Cartoon Network among those named
- Are McDonald's, Nickelodeon, Subway, and other major companies illegally collecting data from children online? A group of 20 public interest groups believes so, and it has filed complaints with the Federal Trade Commission to halt the behavior, reports the
New York Times
. The complaints assert that six popular websites,...
Jul 20, 2012 8:52 AM CDT
Phew! Stewart, SpongeBob Return to DirecTV
Viacom settles dispute with provider
- DirectTV subscribers who want their MTV,
, or comedian Jon Stewart are getting their wish. Viacom and the satellite TV service provider said today that they have settled a dispute that had cut off access to 17 Viacom channels for DirectTV subscribers. Terms of the deal were not disclosed....
May 3, 2012 4:35 PM CDT
Ratings Sinking Fast
Which is bad news for Nickelodeon, Viacom
is 13 years old—and it may finally have dried out. The show's ratings plummeted 29% in the first quarter among kids ages 2 to 11, compared to the year before. That's bad news for Nickelodeon as a whole: The show made up 31% of Nick'...
Sep 12, 2011 8:37 AM CDT
SpongeBob Hurts Kids' Brains
Show weakens their ability to focus, research suggests
- He lives in a pineapple under the sea, and apparently he poses a threat to your kid’s attention span. Researchers showed one group of children a nine-minute
segment; another group watched a clip of the same length of an educational PBS show called
; a third spent...
Michelle Prods Hollywood
to Show Military Families
Jun 14, 2011 10:34 AM CDT
Michelle Prods Hollywood to Show Military Families
Michelle Obama talks Joining Forces, tapes 'iCarly'
- Michelle Obama wants to see more stories of military families on TV and in movies, so she came to Hollywood to do something about it. The first lady met with members of the writers, producers, directors, and actors unions at the Writers Guild Theater to discuss Joining Forces, an initiative...
Jun 8, 2011 9:32 AM CDT
Guest Star: Michelle Obama
First Lady to be featured in episode promoting support for military families
- Michelle Obama is going to be on one of Nickelodeon's most popular shows. The first lady is set to appear on an upcoming episode of the comedy
to promote Joining Forces, an initiative aimed at increasing awareness and support for military families, the network's president said today....
Dora the Explorer
Oct 8, 2010 9:00 AM CDT
Dora the Explorer Sues Nickelodeon
Caitlin Sanchez says she was cheated out of millions
- Did Nickelodeon cheat Dora the Explorer? Caitlin Sanchez, the 14-year-old who voiced the Nickelodeon cartoon character, says it did. She's suing the network for exploiting her by way of a “bizarre, impenetrable, unconscionable” contract and for failing to adequately compensate her to the tune of millions, the
Please God, Let This
Jul 1, 2010 9:14 AM CDT
Please God, Let This Be the
Reviews epically bad for M. Night Shyamalan's would-be epic
- If you believe the critics, the
isn't just bad, it's epically bad. At this writing, the movie's hovering at
on Rotten Tomatoes . Ready for some vicious quotes? I knew you were:
The Last Airbender
is an agonizing experience in every category I can think of and
Jun 20, 2010 2:25 PM CDT
Amanda Bynes Retires From Acting
24-year-old tweets big news
- Onetime child star Amanda Bynes, who gained fame on Nickelodeon, has retired from acting. "I don't love acting anymore so I've stopped doing it," the 24-year-old announced at 3am yesterday—on Twitter, of course. "If I don't love something anymore I stop doing it." If she's...
Miley Cyrus Win
Kids' Choice Awards
Mar 28, 2010 5:30 AM CDT
Taylor Lautner, Miley Cyrus Win Kids' Choice Awards
Jay-Z, Taylor Swift among other winners at Nickelodeon award show
- Team Jacob triumphed at the Kids' Choice Awards, as
star Taylor Lautner picked up two orange, blimp-shaped trophies at last night's 23rd shenanigan-packed Nickelodeon spectacle. Lautner snared the favorite actor honor for his
role as hunky werewolf Jacob Black as well as the inaugural cutest couple award...
'Papa Joe' Simpson
Scores Sitcom Deal
watch out, jessica and ashlee
Feb 5, 2010 1:30 PM CST
'Papa Joe' Simpson Scores Sitcom Deal
Jessica Simpson's dad will star in Nickelodeon show
- Joe Simpson, father of Jessica and Ashlee, will star in a Nickelodeon comedy loosely based on his experience raising his singer/actress daughters. Joe, who is a psychologist in addition to being his daughters’ manager and a TV producer, and will portray a Texas psychologist raising two daughters. The twist? One...
SpongeBob at 10: Still Fun,
Popular, and Inscrutable
Jul 11, 2009 3:18 PM CDT
SpongeBob at 10: Still Fun, Popular, and Inscrutable
- SpongeBob SquarePants is 10 years old, and the “happy nonsense” of the show is “as popular as ever,” Alessandra Stanley writes in the
. What’s more, the wacky, uncynical cartoon has managed to do it “without having disclosed any higher meaning to Bikini...
Relax, Parents: Tween Dora Still 'Wholesome'
Mar 17, 2009 2:52 PM CDT
Relax, Parents: Tween Dora Still 'Wholesome'
New doll of beloved character had sparked short-skirt concerns
- Dora the Explorer is getting a tween update in a new doll, which trades her baby fat for a more girly, urban look,
reports. After concerns were sparked by a silhouette preview of the doll sporting a very short dress, parents can breathe a sigh of relief: the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
5 Murders Since July May Be Work of Serial Killer
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
High School Football Team Cancels Entire Season After 'Slave Auction'
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
After Late-Night Fatal Crash, an iPhone Calls for Help
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.