X

Latest Dominican Republic Sickness: a Bachelor Star

Melissa Rycroft is recovering at home after falling ill at Nickelodeon resort in Punta Cana
By Jenn Gidman,  Newser Staff
Posted Jun 22, 2019 8:30 AM CDT
This Aug. 17, 2011, file photo shows former "Bachelor" and "Dancing With the Stars" contestant Melissa Rycroft in Los Angeles.   (AP Photo/Matt Sayles, file)

(Newser) – As troubling stories of mysterious illnesses and deaths in the Dominican Republic continue to mount, a familiar name to many has been caught up in the fray. Melissa Rycroft vacationed with her husband and three young children at Punta Cana's Nickelodeon resort earlier this month, and her rep tells ET Online that on the second day of their stay, the 36-year-old Bachelor and Dancing With the Stars contestant got an upset stomach, though it soon subsided. When Rycroft arrived back home in the US, however, she had "severe cramping" that lasted more than a week, per the rep, and although she's been undergoing tests for infections and other parasites, a diagnosis still apparently hasn't been made.

Per TMZ, sources say Rycroft never left the Nickelodeon resort, and that she was the only one in her family who got sick. Although she reportedly didn't drink from her room's minibar—the FBI has been eyeing resort minibars as a possible cause—and stayed away from the tap water, she did have alcohol from other bars on the property and from the bar cart. Her husband was said to only have had beer. The resort, meanwhile, says this was an isolated incident as far as it can tell and that it's taking "all possible measures to ensure a safe and healthy vacation environment, exceeding preventative measures, and enforcing strict sanitation protocols." (Read more Dominican Republic stories.)

My Take on This Story
Show results  |  
12%
12%
4%
1%
62%
9%