Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Cooling Off Pool With Dry Ice
Results in 3 Deaths at Party
Mar 1, 2020 11:00 AM CST
Cooling Off Pool With Dry Ice Results in 3 Deaths at Party
Husband of Russian Instagram influencer is among the victims
- Guests at a birthday party Friday for an Instagram influencer said the sauna was too hot and wanted to jump into the swimming pool to cool off. So dry ice was dumped into the Moscow pool to make the water colder. Immediately after jumping in, the people in the water...
to Use Fake Snow
Dec 30, 2019 5:45 PM CST
Moscow Forced to Use Fake Snow in Holiday Display
Residents used to harsh winters can expect more like this one
- With Russia having its warmest winter on record, an executive decision was made: The government is trucking in artificial snow to Moscow in time for the city's New Year's celebration. The shipments are being added to a holiday display in the city center, the
reports. An Instagram...
Gunman Kills 1, Wounds 5
at Moscow Intelligence HQ
Dec 20, 2019 1:02 AM CST
Gunman Kills 1, Wounds 5 at Moscow Intelligence HQ
Russia says attacker was 'neutralized'
- An unidentified gunman opened fire Thursday outside the Moscow headquarters of Russia's top security agency, killing one officer and wounding five others, officials said. The Federal Security Service, or FSB, said the assailant was acting alone and didn't enter its building. Earlier, it said the assailant had been...
Yes, This Is a Cow
in a VR Headset
Nov 27, 2019 10:00 AM CST
Yes, This Is a Cow in a VR Headset
Russian initiative says VR headsets reduce bovine anxiety, may boost milk production
- We imagine when cows dream, they must dream of lazily idling in sunny green pastures. On one Russian farm, a virtual reality experiment is being conducted in the hopes that such visions can help cows pump out more milk. The
reports that a regional agricultural administration has fitted...
Airport Smuggler Used
a Body Double for a Cat
Nov 13, 2019 12:57 PM CST
Airport Smuggler Used a Body Double for a Cat
And it worked, until cat owner bragged on social media
- A Russian cat owner is out hundreds of thousands of air miles—the price for smuggling his fat feline aboard a flight in an elaborate scheme using a body double. Mikhail Galin might have gotten away with the ruse had he not bragged about it after the fact on Facebook,...
More than 20K Call for
Release of Moscow Protesters
Sep 29, 2019 10:46 AM CDT
More than 20K Call for Release of Moscow Protesters
Arrests were made during July demonstration
- More than 20,000 people rallied in Moscow on Sunday to demand the release of those who were arrested during a wave of opposition demonstrations this summer, the AP reports. Those at the rally in downtown Moscow, which was sanctioned by Russian authorities, chanted "Free them all!" Some...
Putin Critic Hospitalized
After 4 Days in Jail
Jul 29, 2019 2:23 AM CDT
Putin Critic Hospitalized After 4 Days in Jail
Alexei Navalny developed 'severe allergy'
- Vladimir Putin's most prominent critic was taken from his jail cell to a hospital Sunday after what a spokeswoman says was a severe allergic reaction—something he has never experienced before. Alexei Navalny was sentenced to 30 days in jail last week for calling for unauthorized protests against the...
Mass Arrests Stun Moscow
Jul 27, 2019 2:00 PM CDT
Mass Arrests Stun Moscow
Demonstrators face police crackdown
- Russian police cracked down hard Saturday on demonstrators in central Moscow, beating some people and arresting hundreds of others protesting the exclusion of opposition candidates from the ballot for Moscow city council, the AP reports. Police also stormed into a TV station broadcasting the protest. Police wrestled with protesters around...
Poker Star Likely
Jun 13, 2019 11:05 AM CDT
Poker Star Likely Electrocuted in Bath: Reports
Russia's Lilya Novikova was big on the Twitch streaming platform
- A young poker star is dead in Russia, apparently after accidentally electrocuting herself while using a hair dryer in the bathtub. Local media report the body of Lilya Novikova was found by an elderly neighbor in the bathroom of her family's Moscow apartment days before her 27th birthday after...
Fatal Blaze Erupts
in Passenger Plane
May 5, 2019 2:15 PM CDT
Fatal Blaze Erupts in Passenger Plane
At least 40 are dead in plane run by Aeroflot
- At least 40 people died when an Aeroflot airliner burst into flames while making an emergency landing at Moscow's Sheremetyevo airport Sunday evening, officials said. The Sukhoi SSJ100 operated by national airline Aeroflot had 73 passengers and five crew members on board when it touched down and sped down...
Cohen: These Documents Will
Lead You to Trump's Lawyer
Mar 6, 2019 5:45 PM CST
Cohen: These Documents Will Lead You to Trump's Lawyer
The president's former lawyer hands over his false statement to Congress
- Michael Cohen turned over documents to the House intelligence committee on Wednesday that show edits to a false written statement he gave to the panel in 2017 about a Trump real estate project in Moscow, the AP reports. Cohen provided the documents in a closed-door interview with the panel, according...
to New Michael Cohen Plea
Nov 29, 2018 10:55 AM CST
Trump Responds to New Michael Cohen Plea
'He's a weak person,' president says of his former personal attorney
- After Michael Cohen made a surprise appearance in court Thursday to cop a guilty plea, President Trump took some shots at his former personal attorney. "Michael Cohen is lying and he's trying to get a reduced sentence for things that have nothing to do with me," Trump...
Trump Letter to Putin
Gets Special Delivery
Aug 8, 2018 11:05 AM CDT
Trump Letter to Putin Gets Special Delivery
Sen. Rand Paul hands it over to Putin's reps while visiting Russia
- A rep for Vladimir Putin says visiting GOP Sen. Rand Paul has presented a letter from President Trump to the Russian leader, though he added that the letter has not yet been examined by the Kremlin, reports the AP . "We expect that in the nearest time it will come...
Odds of a Trump-Putin
Meeting Just Got Better
Jun 21, 2018 11:20 AM CDT
Odds of a Trump-Putin Meeting Just Got Better
National security adviser John Bolton is headed to Moscow to help prep
- President Trump may have another high-profile summit to attend in the near future. National security adviser John Bolton will travel to Moscow next week to discuss a possible meeting between Trump and Vladimir Putin, reports Politico . A National Security Council spokesperson tweeted that Bolton will first meet with US allies...
Moscow Residents Use Piles
of Snow to Troll Putin
Feb 16, 2018 7:53 AM CST
Moscow Residents Use Piles of Snow to Troll Putin
City workers weren't clearing snow, so residents painted name of opposition leader on the piles
- It's been a particularly brutal winter in Moscow, complete with record-breaking amounts of snow , and municipal workers haven't exactly been on top of removing the piles of white stuff. So city residents had to get creative—and political—in their efforts to clear the streets, per the BBC...
He Says He Was
With Russia. Now,
Feb 9, 2018 11:23 AM CST
He Says He Was Nurturing Relations With Russia. Now, Spy Charges
Frode Berg first Norwegian arrested for espionage in Russia since Russian Revolution
- For 25 years, Norwegian border agent Frode Berg fostered relations with Russia from his post in the town of Kirkenes, just minutes from the border. That is, until the 62-year was arrested in December in Moscow on espionage charges, shocking those who knew him in Kirkenes, as Anton Troianovski explains...
Moscow Digs Out From
Feb 6, 2018 2:54 AM CST
Moscow Digs Out From Record-Breaking Snowfall
Kids were given the first snow day in memory
- The residents of Moscow aren't exactly strangers to snow—but the latest snowstorm was so big that authorities gave schoolchildren the first snow day anyone can remember. The recent snowfall was the heaviest on record, with Saturday's 15 inches breaking a record set in 1957, the BBC reports....
Moscow Saw the Sun a Grand
Total of 6 Minutes Last Month
Jan 18, 2018 8:07 AM CST
Moscow Saw the Sun a Grand Total of 6 Minutes Last Month
Meanwhile, other parts of Russia are in a deep freeze so cold people's eyelashes are freezing
- If Russian winters weren't miserable and dreary, we wouldn't have Tolstoy and Dostoevsky. In fact, the month of December 2000 saw just three hours of sunlight in Moscow, the
New York Times
reports. That benchmark was just shattered, however, with Moscow experiencing its "darkest December" ever, the...
Former Candy Factory Owner
Kills Guard, Injures 3 Others
Dec 29, 2017 12:01 AM CST
Former Candy Factory Owner Kills Guard, Injures 3 Others
Moscow man said plant was 'seized with the use of fake documents'
- The former owner of a Russian candy factory has been ordered to remain in jail while the slaying of a plant security guard is under investigation. Investigators said Ilya Averyanov argued with the factory's new owner and opened fire with a hunting rifle on Wednesday, killing the guard and...
Creator of One of
Sep 19, 2017 5:25 PM CDT
Creator of One of World's Deadliest Weapons Gets Huge Statue
Monument to Mikhail Kalashnikov and his AK-47 unveiled in Moscow
- The AK-47 has been called "the Coca-Cola of small arms." It's said to be responsible for 250,000 deaths every year and believed to have killed more people than all other modern weapons combined. On Tuesday, a 30-foot monument dedicated to its designer, Lt. Gen. Mikhail T....
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
How Parade Shooting Suspect Managed to Buy 5 Guns
Scathing Obit: 'It Will Be Challenging to Miss Lawrence'
Boys 'Shouldn't Have Been Able to Physically Do What They Did'
Amazon Prime Rolls Out a Big 'Thank You' to Customers
Suspected 'Mass Fentanyl Poisoning Event' Kills 9 in Florida
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.