Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest reports on civil lawsuit cases in the news on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Bad News Part II
for Trump on Legal Front
Dec 2, 2023 7:00 AM CST
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
After decision on claims of presidential immunity in civil case, judge in DC criminal case rules similarly
- An appeals court on Friday rejected former President Donald Trump's request to dismiss a set of civil lawsuits against him due to what he claimed was presidential immunity on things he did and said after the 2020 election. Later that day, Judge Tanya Chutkan similarly rebuffed Trump's claims...
Vermont Shells Out $16.5M
in Massive Fraud Case
Jul 7, 2023 2:14 PM CDT
Vermont Shells Out $16.5M in Massive Fraud Case
Settlement to foreign investors at Jay Peak ski resort will be paid out over three years
- The state of Vermont has agreed to pay $16.5 million to settle all pending and potential lawsuits from foreign investors in development projects at the Jay Peak resort, the ski area that was shaken by a massive fraud case involving its former owner and president, officials said this week....
Kenyan Facebook Content
Moderators: Job Is 'Torture'
Jun 29, 2023 6:20 PM CDT
Kenyan Facebook Content Moderators: Job Is 'Torture'
Lawsuit against the social media giant could have global effects
- On the verge of tears, Nathan Nkunzimana recalled watching a video of a child being molested and another of a woman being killed. His job as a content moderator for a Facebook contractor required him to look at horrors. Some overwhelmed colleagues would scream or cry, he said. Now, the...
Ex-NFL Punter: Evidence
Shows I Wasn't at Alleged Rape
May 12, 2023 9:53 AM CDT
Ex-NFL Punter: Evidence Shows I Wasn't at Alleged Rape
Alleged victim reviewed the video, says 'I don't think it exonerates anybody'
- A 101-minute long recording reveals NFL-drafted punter Matt Araiza was not present for the alleged gang rape of a teenager by members of the San Diego State football team. Araiza, who was previously let go by the Buffalo Bills, has sent the recording to NFL teams in an effort to...
Greenpeace Hit With Suit
by Major Oil Firm
May 5, 2023 12:54 PM CDT
Greenpeace Hit With Suit by Major Oil Firm
TotalEnergies slams environmental group for report that says its 2019 emissions were higher than claimed
- In November, Greenpeace France put out a damning report that found oil giant TotalEnergies had carbon emissions in 2019 that were nearly four times what the company claimed. Now, Total is suing the environmental group, accusing Greenpeace's report of "false and misleading information," per Reuters . In the...
Paltrow: I Initially
Crash Was a
Mar 25, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Paltrow: I Initially Thought Ski Crash Was a Sex Assault
Star took the stand Friday to testify about 2016 accident on slopes of Park City, Utah
- Gwyneth Paltrow's ski crash trial continued Friday, with the star herself taking the stand to testify about the incident that took place in Park City, Utah, in February 2016. The 50-year-old actor and Goop CEO testified she initially thought retired optometrist Terry Sanderson, 76, slammed directly into her back...
Ex-NFL Punter Won't Be
Charged in Alleged Gang Rape
Dec 8, 2022 12:46 AM CST
Ex-NFL Punter Won't Be Charged in Alleged Gang Rape
But Matt Araiza is still named in accuser's civil lawsuit
- A former Buffalo Bills punter won't be criminally charged in connection with the alleged gang rape of a 17-year-old girl at an off-campus party near San Diego State University when Matt Araiza was a student and football player there last year. None of his former SDSU teammates who are...
Hundreds of Suits Blame
Injuries on Impaired Surgeon
Jul 30, 2022 12:30 PM CDT
Hundreds of Suits Blame Injuries on Impaired Surgeon
Patients say Florida hospital ignored their complaints
- Lucinda Bonk went into surgery in September 2018 optimistic about receiving a new hip. But the procedure took longer than expected; Dr. Richard David Heekin had somehow severely fractured Bonk's thigh bone during the operation, a lawsuit says. He tried to repair it while in surgery, but the 70-year-old...
Sesame Place Sued
for Another Alleged
Instance of Racism
Jul 28, 2022 12:46 AM CDT
Sesame Place Sued for Another Alleged Instance of Racism
Father says his daughter, who is Black, was ignored by performers
- Less than two weeks after a video of alleged racism at Sesame Place went viral, the theme park is being sued for alleged racial discrimination over a separate incident. Quinton Burns of Maryland says he took his 5-year-old daughter to the Philadelphia-area amusement park on June 18, and during a...
In a First, Gun Maker Is
Held Liable for Mass Shooting
Feb 15, 2022 12:36 PM CST
In a First, Gun Maker Is Held Liable for Mass Shooting
Sandy Hook relatives and a survivor reach $73M settlement with Remington
(This summary has been updated throughout with new details.)
The families of nine victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting have agreed to a $73 million settlement of a lawsuit against the maker of the rifle used to kill 20 first graders and six educators in 2012, per...
Tentative Deal Has $83M
for Economic Losses
in Condo Collapse
Feb 11, 2022 4:40 PM CST
Tentative Deal Has $83M for Economic Losses in Condo Collapse
Payments to victims' families would go beyond that
- A tentative deal announced Friday would pay $83 million to people who suffered economic losses such as condominium units and personal property in the collapse of a Florida building that killed 98 people. The emerging agreement, yet to be formally reduced to writing, would set aside whatever amount above the...
Deception or an Oversight?
2 Fans Sue Over Movie Trailer
Jan 23, 2022 7:45 AM CST
Deception or an Oversight? 2 Fans Sue Over Movie Trailer
Ana de Armas appeared in 'Yesterday' trailer, but not the final cut
- Two fans are so enamored with actress Ana de Armas that they sued Universal Pictures for cutting her out of the 2019 film
but keeping her in the trailer,
reports. The loyal fans rented
for $3.99 each on Amazon Prime and were livid that de Armas...
Lawsuit: Work Next Door
Caused Florida Condo to Fall
Nov 17, 2021 5:16 PM CST
Lawsuit: Work Next Door Caused Florida Condo to Fall
Defendant says the problems were all at Champlain Towers South
- Construction of a luxury building next door triggered the collapse of a fragile Florida condominium that killed 98 people, a new lawsuit argues. The suit, filed on behalf of Champlain Towers South victims and family members, contends that work on the adjacent Eighty Seven Park tower damaged and destabilized a...
Lawyer: Rapper Didn't
Know There Was a Crisis
Nov 12, 2021 2:55 PM CST
Lawyer: Rapper Didn't Know There Was a Crisis
Spokesperson says Travis Scott didn't have the authority to stop the show anyway
- Travis Scott was busy onstage last weekend and had no idea he was performing at a mass casualty event , his lawyer said Friday. "He's up there trying to perform," Ed McPherson said. "He does not have any ability to know what's going on down below....
Gaffer on the Moment
That Will 'Haunt Him Forever'
Nov 11, 2021 8:17 AM CST
Gaffer on the Moment That Will 'Haunt Him Forever'
Serge Svetnoy files negligence suit naming producers, assistant director, armorer
- The chief electrician on the set of
didn't name names when he spoke out about a lack of professionalism that set the stage for the accidental shooting death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on Oct. 21. But he's naming names now. On Wednesday gaffer Serge Svetnoy, 63, became...
Supreme Court Twice Backs
Qualified Immunity for Police
Oct 18, 2021 4:10 PM CDT
Supreme Court Twice Backs Qualified Immunity for Police
Justices block 2 excessive force lawsuits against officers
- In two rulings Monday, the Supreme Court endorsed protections from lawsuits for police officers. Lower courts had allowed the excessive force suits to proceed, the Hill reports, one in Oklahoma and one in California. The justices overturned those decisions in summary rulings, without mention of any dissents. "All but...
Favre Must Pay
30 Days in Illegal
Oct 13, 2021 12:32 PM CDT
Favre Must Pay $825K Within 30 Days in Illegal Welfare Case
Miss. state auditor says ex-NFL star faces a lawsuit if he doesn't return TANF funds
It's pay-up time for Brett Favre, unless he wants to face a civil lawsuit. That was the warning Tuesday from Mississippi State Auditor Shad White, who said in a statement that the former NFL star still owes $828,000 in illegal welfare funds and interest, per the
Martin Gugino, Shoved to
Ground by Cops, Files Suit
Feb 23, 2021 12:00 PM CST
Martin Gugino, Shoved to Ground by Cops, Files Suit
75-year-old protester who fractured his skull during confrontation is suing Buffalo, 3 officers
- Last week, criminal charges were dropped against two police officers who were caught on video pushing 75-year-old protester Martin Gugino to the ground during a June 4 protest in Buffalo, NY, against police brutality and racism. Gugino, who fractured his skull and suffered a concussion as a result of the...
to Court and
Jan 4, 2020 11:00 AM CST
Women Take Porn Company to Court and Win, Bigtime
GirlsDoPorn now owes them about $13 million
- Nearly two dozen women who say they were coerced and tricked into shooting porn videos have won their case in court, Ars Technica reports. On Thursday, a California judge ordered the popular porn site GirlsDoPorn to give $13 million to 22 female plaintiffs—but whether they'll ever see a...
Just Got Worse
Sep 11, 2019 6:31 AM CDT
Patriots Receiver's Stormy Month Just Got Worse
Antonio Brown accused of rape just days after leaving Raiders due to another controversy
- Antonio Brown has had a tumultuous month. After a reported verbal to-do at a practice in early September with the Oakland Raiders, Brown asked to be released and then signed with the New England Patriots. Now, a new problem for the 31-year-old wide receiver: a civil lawsuit filed Tuesday in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.