Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Graham's Counsel After
Abuse Claim Is Under Scrutiny
Jun 20, 2022 8:51 AM CDT
Graham's Counsel After Abuse Claim Is Under Scrutiny
'Washington Post' reports he encouraged Naghmeh Panahi to reunite with husband
is out with a lengthy story critical about evangelical leader Franklin Graham's advice to a woman accusing her husband of physical abuse. Religion reporter Sarah Pulliam Bailey draws a parallel between this and a controversy from a few years ago , when a Southern Baptist leader tried...
For This Megachurch,
a 'Swift and Stunning Decline'
Mar 30, 2022 1:17 PM CDT
For This Megachurch, a 'Swift and Stunning Decline'
In just a few weeks, more than half of Hillsong's US churches shutter
- Just two weeks ago, Hillsong Church—the popular Sydney-based megachurch that has counted Justin Bieber, Bono, actor Chris Pratt, and the NBA's Kevin Durant among its devotees —had 16 campuses spread across the US from coast to coast. Now, in a plotline that seems lifted from
Dec 1, 2021 2:57 PM CST
Alternative COVID Treatments Fail Daystar Founder
Marcus Lamb dies of coronavirus infection at age 64
- Marcus Lamb, founder of one of the world's largest Christian television networks and a vocal vaccine opponent, has died of COVID-19 at age 64. Lamb's widow, Joni, confirmed during a broadcast on the evangelical TV network that "the love of my life went to be with Jesus"...
Evangelist Rick Warren
to Retire as Saddleback Pastor
Jun 8, 2021 12:17 PM CDT
Evangelist Rick Warren to Retire as Saddleback Pastor
Health issues make preaching six times per Sunday difficult
- Rick Warren, California megachurch founder, author of the bestselling
The Purpose Driven Life
, and one of the most prominent evangelical Christian leaders in the nation, has announced his retirement. Saddleback Church will begin looking for his successor this week, Warren told the congregation Sunday, the
Orange County Register
The 'Other Man': Falwell
Changed After Trump's Win
Aug 25, 2020 9:09 AM CDT
The 'Other Man': Falwell Changed After Trump's Win
Evangelical figure became 'drunk on power,' alleges Giancarlo Granda
- The news about Jerry Falwell Jr. has finally clarified : The evangelical leader tells the
Wall Street Journal
that he is indeed out as president of Liberty University in Virginia. Falwell says he submitted his resignation to the school's board Monday night after conflicting reports about whether he had or...
Trump: Democrats Altered
the Pledge of Allegiance
Aug 22, 2020 11:00 AM CDT
Trump: Democrats Altered the Pledge of Allegiance
But that doesn't quite hold water on closer inspection
- President Trump is accusing the Democrats of taking God out of the Pledge of Allegiance at their national convention—but the AP reports that he's "distorting" what happened. "The Democrats took the word GOD out of the Pledge of Allegiance at the Democrat National Convention," Trump...
Jim Bakker's Wife Reveals Why
He's Taking Break From Show
May 9, 2020 6:30 AM CDT
Jim Bakker's Wife Reveals Why He's Taking Break From Show
Televangelist had a stroke, but is 'okay,' Lori Bakker announced Friday
- More bad news for Jim Bakker, just two months after he was sued for offering a supposed coronavirus cure. On Friday, the 80-year-old televangelist's wife, Lori Bakker, announced he'd had a stroke and would be on hiatus from his Christian program
The Jim Bakker Show
, CNN reports. "...
Trump Keeps Up Attacks
on Evangelical Magazine
Dec 20, 2019 2:00 PM CST
Trump Keeps Up Attacks on Evangelical Magazine
'Christianity Today' hopes it gets more people to read its anti-Trump editorial
- An evangelical magazine's denunciation of President Trump apparently struck a nerve. Trump lashed back at
Friday morning, and he has followed up with another criticism in the afternoon. "I guess the magazine, 'Christianity Today,' is looking for Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders, or those of...
Trump Doesn't Take Kindly to
Dec 20, 2019 7:38 AM CST
Trump Doesn't Take Kindly to
It calls for his removal from office
- The "far-left" evangelicals are out to get Trump. That's from the president himself, who didn't take kindly to an editorial this week by Mark Galli, editor-in-chief of leading evangelical magazine
Christianity Today .
In it, Galli calls Trump a "leader of grossly immoral character" who should be...
Dec 20, 2019 2:20 AM CST
Evangelical Magazine Denounces 'Grossly Immoral' Trump
Christianity Today says he should be removed from office
- In a troubling sign for President Trump, leading evangelical magazine
denounced him as a "leader of grossly immoral character" Thursday and called for him to be removed from office. Impeachment appears to have been the final straw for editor-in-chief Mark Galli, who writes that although the process...
Faith Leaders: 'They're
Trying to Impeach Us'
Nov 2, 2019 11:35 AM CDT
Faith Leaders: 'They're Trying to Impeach Us'
Evangelicals met privately with Trump this week
- Faith leaders aren't just opposed to impeachment—they take it personally. So says one of 25 American evangelicals who met privately with President Trump this week, McClatchy reports. "Many evangelicals like myself believe that this is more than just a political skirmish," says Robert Jeffress, the top...
Pence to 45K
May 11, 2019 3:50 PM CDT
Pence to 45K Evangelical Students: 'Be Ready'
The vice president speaks at Liberty University
- Last time he spoke at Liberty University, Mike Pence urged students to vote for candidate Donald Trump despite the
tape. On Saturday he returned to the renowned Christian school in Lynchburg, Va., with a warning: You will be disrespected. "Some of the loudest voices for tolerance today...
US Pastor Freed in Turkey
Amid Reports of Secret Deal
Oct 12, 2018 11:06 AM CDT
US Pastor Freed in Turkey Amid Reports of Secret Deal
Andrew Brunson bound for US after sentencing for espionage
- An American pastor detained for two years in Turkey on charges of espionage and aiding terrorist groups is heading home. A Turkish court on Friday allowed the release of evangelical pastor Andrew Brunson, who lived for more than 20 years in Turkey before he was jailed in the 2016 crackdown...
Boy Who Didn't Come
Back From Heaven
Sues Own Publisher
Apr 11, 2018 7:33 AM CDT
Boy Who Didn't Come Back From Heaven Sues Own Publisher
Alex Malarkey says he never saw a dime from book, and that late father made up near-death story
- Alex Malarkey calls it "one of the most deceptive books ever," even though it bears his byline and that of his late father. The 20-year-old Ohio man, left paraplegic after a 2004 car crash in which his father, Kevin Malarkey, was driving, co-penned with his dad
'Nashville Statement' on Gays,
Transgenders Earns Mayor's Ire
Aug 30, 2017 10:10 AM CDT
'Nashville Statement' on Gays, Transgenders Earns Mayor's Ire
And the ire of many others after evangelicals issue their 'Christian manifesto'
- The mayor of Nashville has lashed out after a group of evangelical leaders put out a "Christian manifesto" named after her city to offer church guidance on sexuality issues. Per the
, the so-called "Nashville Statement," a 14-point cheat sheet from the Council on Biblical Manhood...
Sect Members to Be Tried for
Trying to Expel 'Gay Demons'
in case you missed it
Jun 3, 2017 12:59 PM CDT
Sect Members to Be Tried for Trying to Expel 'Gay Demons'
Matthew Fenner says he was beaten for hours to expel his 'homosexual demons'
- Trial may be imminent for members of a sect who've been accused of trying to beat "homosexual demons" out of a now-former member. Matthew Fenner says that he joined Word of Faith Fellowship in Spindale, NC, with his mother and brother in 2010, but that he fled on...
Are the Same
Feb 7, 2016 5:13 PM CST
Professor Who Said Christian, Muslim God Are the Same Leaves Job
Larycia Hawkins was facing possible termination at hearing
- A US professor who was suspended after wearing a headscarf —and saying Muslims and Christians "worship the same God"—is out of a job. Larycia Hawkins, a tenured associate political science professor at Wheaton College in Illinois, parted ways with the evangelical Christian college on Saturday night,...
Ted Cruz Now
Has a 'National
Nov 20, 2015 12:45 PM CST
Ted Cruz Now Has a 'National Prayer Team'
'Our nation is in desperate need of God’s favor'
- Ted Cruz is making a major play for the most powerful constituent there is: God. On Thursday, the Cruz campaign announced the formation of a "national prayer team" that will get weekly emails with prayer requests from the candidate and his wife, as well as an invitation to a...
'I'm One of You'
Sep 20, 2015 3:20 PM CDT
Donald Trump to Evangelicals: 'I'm One of You'
The Donald makes promises to evangelical crowd
- With his poll numbers lagging a bit , Donald Trump assured evangelicals last night that he and the Lord have found each other. His revelation came at the Iowa Faith and Freedom Coalition Dinner, Politico reports. "I'm one of you," says Trump. "Just remember that. I brought...
New Facebook Competitor
Wants to Be 'Morally Better'
Jul 6, 2015 9:55 AM CDT
New Facebook Competitor Wants to Be 'Morally Better'
Facegloria hopes to attract Evangelicals across the world
- There are no bikini beach photos or swear words on Brazil's new social network—and no "likes," either, but rather "amens"—and that's apparently how Facegloria's roughly 100,000 users want it. While Facebook bans nudity, hate speech, graphic violence, and other questionable...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
5 Murders Since July May Be Work of Serial Killer
High School Football Team Cancels Entire Season After 'Slave Auction'
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
It Was Worse Than the Titanic. You Likely Haven't Heard of It
Pro-Russia Parties Trounced
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.