Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
New York City Nurses
Return to Work
Jan 12, 2023 3:42 PM CST
New York City Nurses Return to Work
Three-day strike end at two hospitals
- Thousands of nurses at two New York City hospitals ended a three-day strike Thursday after reaching a tentative contract agreement that union officials said will relieve chronic short staffing and boost pay by 19% over three years. Nurses began returning to work Thursday morning at Mount Sinai Hospital and Montefiore...
Strike Hits Starbucks on
One of Its Busiest Days
Nov 17, 2022 8:22 AM CST
Strike Hits Starbucks on One of Its Busiest Days
More than 2K employees at 112 stores call for higher pay, good-faith bargaining
- More than 2,000 Starbucks workers at 112 US stores say they're going on strike Thursday in what would be the largest labor action since a campaign to unionize the company's stores began late last year. The walkouts are scheduled to coincide with Starbucks' annual Red Cup Day,...
Have Had It
Sep 13, 2022 8:23 AM CDT
15K Nurses in Minnesota Have Had It
They hope 3-day strike will give them the upper hand in contract negotiations
- Some 15,000 nurses in Minnesota have walked off the job in what the
calls "the largest strike of private-sector nurses in US history," with some of 15 affected hospitals preparing for delays despite efforts to recruit traveling nurses. The three-day strike, which began Monday, comes...
New Deal With Union
Dec 16, 2021 6:25 PM CST
Kellogg Reaches New Deal With Union
Proposed contract has hourly raises for all workers
: After overwhelmingly voting down the last tentative agreement with Kellogg, striking union members will decide Sunday on a new proposal. This deal provides cost-of-living adjustments and a raise for all employees of $1.10 per hour, the AP reports. The rejected contract included 3% raises, with only some employees...
Redditors Clog Kellogg's Job
Portal, in Solidarity With Strike
Dec 11, 2021 8:00 AM CST
Redditors Clog Kellogg's Job Portal, in Solidarity With Strike
Company has said it plans to replace striking workers with new applicants
Kellogg's plan to replace striking workers with new applicants just got more complicated. People on Reddit and TikTok sympathetic to the striking workers are spamming the company's job-application portal, reports the Hill . "It's time to clog their toilet of an application pipeline," reads a...
Deere, UAW Have
Tentative Deal to End Strike
Oct 30, 2021 3:10 PM CDT
Deere, UAW Have Tentative Deal to End Strike
Workers will stay off the job until agreement is ratified
: Deere & Co. and the United Auto Workers reached a tentative labor deal Saturday that would end the union's strike. Workers will stay out, however, while they consider the terms and vote on the six-year agreement, the AP reports. An earlier tentative deal was rejected by UAW members...
Workers at All Kellogg's
US Cereal Plants Are on Strike
Oct 5, 2021 5:40 PM CDT
Workers at All Kellogg's US Cereal Plants Are on Strike
Union says company has threatened to send jobs to Mexico
- Work at all of the Kellogg Company's US cereal plants came to a halt Tuesday as roughly 1,400 workers went on strike, but it wasn't immediately clear how much the supply of Frosted Flakes or any of the company's other iconic brands would be disrupted. The...
After 20-Day Strike, Frito-Lay
Is Ending 'Suicide Shifts'
Jul 27, 2021 2:52 PM CDT
After 20-Day Strike, Frito-Lay Is Ending 'Suicide Shifts'
Workers at Kansas plant will get one guaranteed day off per week
- When the chips were down, Frito-Lay decided to meet a key demand of striking workers and guarantee them one day off a week. The company and the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers, and Grain Millers union reached an agreement over the weekend to end a 20-day strike at a Topeka, Kansas,...
Workers: Frito-Lay Makes Us
Work 12-Hour Days, Every Day
Jul 21, 2021 7:27 AM CDT
Workers: Frito-Lay Makes Us Work 12-Hour Days, Every Day
Some employees at Topeka plant claim they haven't had a single day off in 5 months
- The worker shortages caused by the pandemic are being felt nationwide, and a Frito-Lay plant in Topeka, Kansas, is no exception. CBS News reports that a strike there is now at day 16, with a local union saying many workers are putting in 84-hour weeks. That's 12 hours a...
Workers at Amazon,
Other Firms Plan
Apr 30, 2020 3:23 AM CDT
Workers at Amazon, Other Firms Plan 'General Strike'
They say they're going to walk off the job Friday
- Workers who say major companies like Amazon aren't doing enough to protect them during the pandemic are planning a strike Friday—and they would like shoppers to show their support by staying away. Organizers say a walkout planned for May 1, International Workers' Day, will also involve workers from...
Now Walking Out:
Grocery, Delivery Workers
Mar 31, 2020 6:50 AM CDT
Now Walking Out: Grocery, Delivery Workers
Workers at Instacart, Amazon, Whole Foods want hazard pay, protective gear, sick time
- Grocery and delivery workers are doing some of the most potentially dangerous jobs in America during the coronavirus outbreak and they are demanding better pay and protection. Amazon workers at a New York City warehouse walked off the job Monday and Instacart workers held strikes nationwide, reports the
Tentative Deal Reached
to End Auto Worker Strike
Oct 16, 2019 1:24 PM CDT
Tentative Deal Reached to End Auto Worker Strike
GM, UAW reach tentative deal
- Bargainers for General Motors and the United Auto Workers reached a tentative contract deal on Wednesday that could end a monthlong strike that brought the company's US factories to a standstill. The deal, which the union says offers "major gains" for workers, was hammered out after months of...
Thanksgiving Miracle: O'Hare
Nov 21, 2016 1:28 PM CST
Thanksgiving Miracle: O'Hare Workers Striking
Workers want to build public support for their cause, so will avoid holiday travel period
- The hundreds of Chicago O'Hare International Airport workers planning a work stoppage want the public on their side—so they'll wait until Tuesday, Nov. 29, to strike, CNN reports. The janitors, baggage handlers, cabin cleaners, and wheelchair attendants are striking to draw attention to their desire to be...
US Oil Workers Launch Biggest Strike Since 1980
Feb 2, 2015 7:00 AM CST
US Oil Workers Launch Biggest Strike Since 1980
USW strike could hit 64% of US capacity
- Oil workers across America started walking off the job at midnight yesterday in their first nationwide strike since Jimmy Carter was president. United Steelworkers union members are striking at nine refineries, accounting for more than 10% of US capacity, after rejecting five proposals for a new three-year contract, the BBC...
Plot New Strike,
Sep 2, 2014 6:49 AM CDT
Fast-Food Workers Plot New Strike, Civil Disobedience
Many ready 'to do whatever it takes' for $15-an-hour wage
- As fast-food workers battle for a $15-an-hour wage, they're getting ready to strike this week—and get arrested if they have to. McDonald's, Burger King, and Wendy's employees are among those planning a protest on Thursday, the
reports, and the effort will include broad civil...
Police Fire AK-47s at
Jan 3, 2014 9:42 AM CST
Police Fire AK-47s at Cambodian Protesters
3 killed as garment workers demand double the current minimum wage
- At least three people were killed today when police in Cambodia opened fire to break up a protest by striking garment workers demanding a doubling of the minimum wage, police and human rights workers said. Police said the three were killed and two others were wounded in a southern suburb...
McDonald's to Workers:
Don't Forget to Tip Pool Boy
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Dec 8, 2013 6:30 PM CST
McDonald's to Workers: Don't Forget to Tip Pool Boy
As workers rally, tipping etiquette puts McDonald's in the fryer
- Bad move, McDonald's? As fast food workers walked off the job in 100 cities this week amid demands for higher pay, the fast food giant thought it was a good idea to dish out some holiday tip suggestions to its employees—like how much to tip your massage therapist...
Fast Food Strikes Return
as Wage Debate Looms
Dec 5, 2013 7:53 AM CST
Fast Food Strikes Return as Wage Debate Looms
Obama speaks up in favor of minimum wage hike
- Fast food workers in 100 cities will walk off the job today, and protesters will show up in 100 more to call for drastically higher wages for the nation's lowest-paid workers. The movement started with a small strike in New York City last year, and has ballooned since, with...
Hit 58 Cities Today
Aug 29, 2013 7:53 AM CDT
Fast-Food Strikes Hit 58 Cities Today
As Walmart, warehouse, and car wash employees join in
- You might want to pack a lunch today. This summer's series of fast-food walkouts continues in a big way, as workers in at least 58 cities across the country go on strike. Organizers are calling it the largest such strike to date. The workers plan to picket the likes...
for 2nd Time
Aug 1, 2013 1:08 PM CDT
Fast-Food Workers Strike for 2nd Time in Week
The one-day walkouts continue today
- The one-day fast-food strikes that hit McDonald's, Burger King, and the like on Monday are showing no signs of stopping. With more underway today in Milwaukee, the
New York Times
is comparing the national campaign—aimed at mobilizing workers from hundreds of restaurants—to Occupy Wall Street. Some strikers...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Forecasters Warn of Generational Cold
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
New Jersey Lawmaker Murdered Near Her Home
China: Let's Stay Calm About This Alleged Spy Balloon
Police: Actually, No Evidence We Headed Off Mass Shooting
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.