Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
China's Xi to Biden: US
'Playing With Fire' on Taiwan
Nov 16, 2021 6:50 AM CST
China's Xi to Biden: US 'Playing With Fire' on Taiwan
Warning comes in otherwise cordial 3-hour virtual meeting
- President Biden and Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping spoke for more than three hours Monday in a virtual meeting described by both sides afterward as largely cordial. In fact, Xi greeted Biden as his "old friend" at the start, notes the AP . But the BBC highlights at least one area...
It's Been a Historic
Week for China's Xi
Nov 12, 2021 12:34 PM CST
It's Been a Historic Week for China's Xi
Next week, he and President Biden will have a virtual meeting
- China's Xi Jinping and President Biden will have a virtual meeting on Monday, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. Though the two have spoken by phone twice since Biden took office, this will be their most formal discussion. However, US officials are keeping expectations modest and don't plan any...
Slams 3 Nations
Nov 3, 2021 6:29 AM CDT
Before Leaving Glasgow, Biden Slams 3 Nations
President criticizes China's Xi, Russia's Putin for not showing up at COP26, shakes head at Saudis
- On Monday at COP26, President Biden had harsh words for a former US leader. On Tuesday, before heading back to the US, he reserved his criticism for two current world leaders, slamming them for not making an appearance at the United Nations climate summit in Scotland. "Not showing up,...
Oct 21, 2021 11:10 AM CDT
NBA Player Slams China, and Fallout Is Immediate
Celtics games are blacked out after Enes Kanter speaks out on Tibet
- The NBA's already-iffy relations with China are being tested with another controversy over free speech. In this case, Boston Celtics center Enes Kanter called Chinese leader Xi Jinping a "brutal dictator" and voiced his support for Tibet in a tweeted video , reports Reuters . In response, China has blacked...
Queen Caught on Hot Mic
Dissing World Leaders
Oct 15, 2021 9:41 AM CDT
Queen Caught on Hot Mic Dissing World Leaders
Elizabeth was complaining about climate inaction
- Greta Thunberg doesn't think too highly of how world leaders in general are attacking climate change. She might have an ally in the "they're all talk, no action" camp: Queen Elizabeth. Ahead of the UN's COP26 climate change conference being held next month in Glasgow, Scotland,...
Xi Jinping Warns World to
Butt Out of 'Taiwan Question'
Oct 9, 2021 7:44 AM CDT
Xi Jinping Warns World to Butt Out of 'Taiwan Question'
Chinese leader says he hopes to keep things 'peaceful,' but that 'reunification ... must be realized'
- Tensions have been growing of late between China and Taiwan, with an incursion last weekend of Chinese fighter jets into Taiwan's air defense zone, and Taiwan's defense chief stressing the "urgency" of the situation. On Saturday, Chinese President Xi Jinping noted he wants all remain to peaceful...
Taiwan Defense Chief:
China Could Soon Mount
Oct 6, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Taiwan Defense Chief: China Could Soon Mount 'Full-Scale' Invasion
Chiu Kuo-cheng says tensions are worst in 40 years
- After a weekend incursion of Chinese fighter jets into Taiwan's air defense zone, relations between the two states are—well, not great. In fact, Taiwan's defense chief on Wednesday said that military tensions with China are the "most serious" they've been in more than four decades,...
White House Says Biden
Had 'Broad' Discussion With Xi
Sep 10, 2021 5:10 AM CDT
White House Says Biden Had 'Broad' Discussion With Xi
It was their first phone call in 7 months
- President Biden spoke with China's Xi Jinping on Thursday amid growing frustration on the American side that high-level engagement between the two leaders' top advisers has been largely unfruitful in the early going of the Biden presidency. Biden initiated the call with Xi, the second between the two leaders...
Xi Jinping: 'Great Wall of Steel'
Awaits Those Who 'Bully' China
Jul 1, 2021 8:34 AM CDT
Xi Jinping: 'Great Wall of Steel' Awaits Those Who 'Bully' China
That was leader's message to celebrate 100 years of the Chinese Communist Party
- Xi Jinping led a centennial celebration on Thursday to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the ruling Chinese Communist Party, but amid the jubilation in Beijing came a warning. "The Chinese people will never allow foreign forces to bully, oppress, or enslave us," he told a crowd of 70,...
Biden's Guest List for Talks
on Climate Includes Putin, Xi
Mar 26, 2021 5:05 PM CDT
Biden's Guest List for Talks on Climate Includes Putin, Xi
Administration sends out 40 invitations for next month's forum
- President Joe Biden is including Vladimir Putin of Russia and Xi Jinping of China among the invitees to the first big climate talks of his administration, an event the US hopes will help shape, speed up, and deepen global efforts to cut climate-wrecking fossil fuel pollution, administration officials told the...
Highlights From Biden's
First Press Conference
Mar 25, 2021 3:51 PM CDT
Highlights From Biden's First Press Conference
'This makes Jim Crow look like Jim Eagle,' he says of rules to change voting laws
- President Biden conducted his first press conference since assuming office, one in which he doubled the nation's vaccination goal and said he expected to run for re-election in 2024. But Biden faced questions on a host of other issues, including immigration and the filibuster. Highlights:
He disputed the
Biden, Xi Jinping
Feb 11, 2021 12:38 AM CST
Here's What Biden, Xi Jinping Talked About
US, China presidents share their first call
- Joe Biden had his first call as president with Xi Jinping, pressing the Chinese leader about trade and Beijing's crackdown on democracy activists in Hong Kong as well as other human rights concerns. The two leaders spoke Wednesday just hours after Biden announced plans for a Pentagon task force...
Jack Ma Vanished
Jan 20, 2021 7:23 AM CST
Jack Ma Vanished in October, Suddenly Reappears
Chinese billionaire seen at virtual educators conference after being 'missing' for months
- Everyone worried about Jack Ma can breathe (a little) easier. The Chinese billionaire hadn't been seen or heard from—not even via social media—since the end of October, when he gave a scathing speech against Chinese regulators that enraged President Xi Jinping. Now, however, an encouraging update: "...
China's President to Biden:
Here's What We Expect
Nov 25, 2020 9:05 AM CST
China's President to Biden: Here's What We Expect
Xi Jinping expresses hope for 'win-win cooperation'
- Xi Jinping has called it. The Chinese president congratulated US President-elect Joe Biden Wednesday on his election victory and expressed hope for "win-win cooperation" amid conflicts over trade, technology, and security, reports the AP . There was no explanation for the delay—the AP declared Biden as the victor on...
A Week Later, Congrats
From China to Biden
Nov 13, 2020 6:10 AM CST
A Week Later, Congrats From China to Biden
President-elect is still waiting on Russia, North Korea, and Brazil
- President Trump still hasn't conceded to President-elect Joe Biden, but most of the world has accepted Biden will be the new US president—and now China, one of the last nations to do so, has joined in. "We respect the choice of the American people," Foreign Ministry...
Russia, China Remain Wary
of Congratulating Biden
Nov 9, 2020 7:26 AM CST
Russia, China Remain Wary of Congratulating Biden
Kremlin says Putin will wait for official results
- Numerous world leaders have congratulated Joe Biden on becoming president-elect, but two of them have remained notably silent. Russia's Vladimir Putin and China's Xi Jinping appear to be waiting until President Trump's legal challenges are over. "Anticipating your possible question about Putin congratulating the US president-elect,...
Trump to UN: Blame
China for the 'Plague'
Sep 22, 2020 4:38 PM CDT
Trump to UN: Blame China for the 'Plague'
Xi says he doesn't want 'a cold war or a hot one'
- This year's United Nations General Assembly meeting is being held virtually, with leaders delivering pre-recorded messages—and President Trump used his to slam the nation where the pandemic began. "We must hold accountable the nation which unleashed this plague on to the world—China," he said Tuesday,...
Man Who Called Xi a 'Clown'
Gets 18-Year Sentence
Sep 22, 2020 2:04 AM CDT
Man Who Called Xi a 'Clown' Gets 18-Year Sentence
Ren Zhiqiang convicted of corruption, bribery, other charges
- The former chairman of a state-owned real estate company who publicly criticized Chinese President Xi Jinping’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic was sentenced to 18 years in prison on Tuesday on corruption charges, a court announced. Ren Zhiqiang, who became known for speaking up about censorship and other sensitive...
Aug 13, 2020 7:15 PM CDT
Clean Your Plate, China Tells Citizens
Xi tries again with a campaign to cut food waste
- With the pandemic going strong, after flooding ruined farms and tons of produce across the southern part of the nation, China has intensified its efforts against food waste. China must "maintain a sense of crisis about food security," President Xi Jinping said. The "Clean Plate Campaign" is...
The Unredacted Version
of Trump's Request to Xi
Jun 19, 2020 8:11 AM CDT
The Unredacted Version of Trump's Request to Xi
'Make sure I win,' he said, according to 'Vanity Fair'
- One of the big allegations made by John Bolton in his new book is that President Trump tried to get China's Xi Jinping to help him win re-election. According to Bolton, who is known as a prolific note-taker, Trump asked Xi to buy American farm products specifically to boost...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oprah on Beverly Hills Murder: 'World Is Upside Down'
Sheriff: Church Musician Killed His Family, Then Called Cops
In Case of Surgeon With Omicron, Cause for Optimism
Suspect in Christmas Parade Tragedy Talks to Fox News
'The Big Ragoo' Has Died at 69
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.