Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Badly Wounded' Xi Delivers
New Year Message
Jan 2, 2023 6:18 PM CST
'Badly Wounded' Xi Delivers New Year Message
He defends abrupt change in COVID policy
- In the weeks after China abruptly dropped its "zero-COVID" restrictions, Xi Jinping didn't publicly comment on the pandemic as a wave of infections swept the country, but he acknowledged in his New Year's Eve speech that the last three years had taken a heavy toll. "It...
Putin 'Clearly Doesn't
Know What to Do'
Dec 30, 2022 2:35 PM CST
Putin 'Clearly Doesn't Know What to Do'
Russian leader losing support among his nation's elite, according to 'Washington Post' analysis
- Vladimir Putin and Xi Jinping had a closely watched video call on Friday, one in which Putin invited the Chinese leader to Moscow in the spring. Xi didn't explicitly accept, reports the
. But he did talk about ramping up "strategic cooperation with Russia," even as he...
China's Xi Is Battling a
Potent Weapon: Mockery
Dec 1, 2022 1:04 PM CST
China's Xi Is Battling a Potent Weapon: Mockery
Nicholas Kristof weighs in on the China protests
- Nicholas Kristof was the
New York Times
bureau chief in Beijing when the Tiananmen Square protests erupted in 1989, but he's not pretending to know how China's current unrest will end. His advice? "Run from anyone who predicts confidently where China is headed," he writes in...
In China, the 'Unthinkable':
Protesters Call Out Xi
Nov 27, 2022 9:40 AM CST
In China, the 'Unthinkable': Protesters Call Out Xi
Anger over COVID lockdowns is boiling over
- Anger over China's draconian COVID lockdown policies has led to what the BBC describes as heretofore "unthinkable" scenes across the country: Protesters openly calling for the resignation of President Xi Jinping. Demonstrators in Shanghai in particular turned out en masse, but protests also were reported at universities in...
Xi Publicly Rebukes
Trudeau at G20 Summit
Nov 17, 2022 9:25 AM CST
Xi Publicly Rebukes Trudeau at G20 Summit
Chinese leader accused Canadian PM of inappropriately leaking details of conversation
- An exchange between Xi Jinping and Justin Trudeau at the G20 summit in Indonesia has caused a stir, with Canadian analysts saying the Chinese leader was being "threatening" and Chinese officials accusing Canadians of being "condescending." Xi approached Trudeau Wednesday and accused him of leaking details of...
Question to Biden
Nov 15, 2022 12:39 AM CST
White House Reporter Grabbed, Pushed After Question to Biden
She wanted to know if he'd raise human rights issues with Xi Jinping
- A White House pool reporter was knocked off balance Monday by a man who grabbed her backpack after she asked President Biden a question in advance of his meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping at the G20 summit in Indonesia. As press was being ushered out of the room, Molly...
Biden: 'There Need Not
Be a New Cold War'
Nov 14, 2022 10:35 AM CST
Biden: 'There Need Not Be a New Cold War'
President meets with China's Xi Jinping
- President Biden had his first face-to-face meeting as president with China's Xi Jinping on Monday, and he sounded an optimistic tone afterward. "I absolutely believe there need not be a new Cold War," he said after the sit-down in Bali, Indonesia, per the AP . "I'...
Nov 14, 2022 6:23 AM CST
At World Summit, a Notable Handshake
Biden meets face to face with China's Xi Jinping in Indonesia
- President Biden and Chinese President Xi Jinping opened their first in-person meeting Monday since the US president took office nearly two years ago, aiming to "manage" differences between the superpowers as they compete for global influence amid increasing economic and security tensions. Xi and Biden greeted each other with...
Biden, Xi to Meet Amid
Rising Tensions Over Taiwan
Nov 10, 2022 12:44 PM CST
Biden, Xi to Meet Amid Rising Tensions Over Taiwan
Pair will have first face-to-face meeting as world leaders
- President Biden will meet Monday with Chinese President Xi Jinping on the sidelines of next week’s Group of 20 Summit in Bali, Indonesia, a face-to-face meeting that comes amid increasingly strained US-China relations. It will be the first in-person meeting between the leaders of the world’s two biggest...
New Team Solidifies Xi's Grip
Oct 23, 2022 2:45 PM CDT
New Team Solidifies Xi's Grip
Loyalty appears to be a main requirement for deputies, which analysts say brings risks
- Xi Jinping was reelected to a third term as leader of the Chinese Communist Party, but it was the appointments he announced Sunday that made clear the scope of his victory. The general secretary walked onstage in the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, the BBC reports, followed by...
Led Out of Party Congress
Oct 22, 2022 1:40 PM CDT
Xi's Predecessor Led Out of Party Congress
Chinese officials give no reason for removal of former president
- A former president of China was removed from the Great Hall of the People in Beijing on Saturday, appearing to resist as his successor, Xi Jinping, watched. Hu Jintao, 79, was sitting next to Xi during the closing ceremony of the Communist Party Congress, Reuters reports, when two stewards approached...
China's Xi: 'The Next
Five Years Will Be Crucial'
Oct 16, 2022 6:10 AM CDT
China's Xi: 'The Next Five Years Will Be Crucial'
Chinese leader opens session in which he is expected to award himself another term
- Chinese leader Xi Jinping on Sunday called for faster military development and announced no change in policies that have strained relations with Washington and tightened the ruling Communist Party's control over society and the economy. China’s most influential figure in decades spoke as the party opened a congress...
China Scrubs Internet
of Hashtag 'I Saw It'
Oct 14, 2022 9:07 AM CDT
China Scrubs Internet of Hashtag 'I Saw It' After Protest
Protester called for overthrow of regime, end to 'zero COVID' policies
- Beijing residents saw an incredibly rare sight on a bridge over a busy intersection Thursday—an anti-Xi Jinping protest, with banners calling for the overthrow of the Chinese leader and an end to the country's harsh "zero COVID" policies. A lone protester, who was quickly surrounded by police...
Sep 16, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
Putin Says Russia Will Fight On
'We aren't in a rush' in Ukraine, Russian president says
- Russian President Vladimir Putin vowed Friday to press his attack on Ukraine despite Ukraine's latest counteroffensive and warned that Moscow could ramp up its strikes on the country's vital infrastructure if facilities in Russia are targeted. Speaking to reporters Friday after attending a summit of the Shanghai Cooperation...
Xi Meeting Comes at
a Bad Time for Putin
Sep 15, 2022 8:25 AM CDT
Xi Meeting Comes at a Bad Time for Putin
Analysts say setbacks for Russia in Ukraine war are making China nervous
- China's President Xi Jinping has left China for the first time since before the pandemic for a trip that included a meeting with his Russian counterpart—and analysts say the timing is very unfortunate for Vladimir Putin. Russian forces have been retreating in Ukraine and "even the prospect...
China Suggests US
Is 'Playing With Fire'
Jul 28, 2022 3:12 PM CDT
China Suggests US Is 'Playing With Fire'
Biden and Xi Jinping talk by phone
- President Biden and Chinese President Xi Jinping talked for more than two hours on the phone Thursday against a backdrop of increasing tension between their nations over several issues. The US said the idea of the call was to calm the hostility more than to achieve anything specific, the
Xi Celebrates Hong Kong's
'Return to the Motherland'
Jul 1, 2022 11:08 AM CDT
Xi Celebrates Hong Kong's 'Return to the Motherland'
Chinese leader defends crackdown as territory marks 25th anniversary of handover
- China’s leader Xi Jinping marked the 25th anniversary of Hong Kong’s return in a speech Friday emphasizing Beijing’s comprehensive control over the once-British colony under his vision of the "one country, two systems" framework. He also sought to counter criticism that the political and civic freedoms...
Biden, Xi Try to Budge
Each Other for 2 Hours
Mar 18, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
Biden, Xi Try to Budge Each Other for 2 Hours
Chinese leader stays noncommittal but says they should work for peace
- President Biden took his effort to dissuade China from helping Russia with its invasion of Ukraine to the top on Friday, holding a video meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping for nearly two hours. Biden detailed the "implications and consequences" of providing military or economic support to Russia, the...
Intelligence: China Told Russia
to Wait Until After Olympics
Mar 2, 2022 4:29 PM CST
Intelligence: China Told Russia to Wait Until After Olympics
Putin sent troops into eastern Ukraine the day after the Games ended
- The closing ceremony of the Beijing Olympics was Feb. 20. On Feb. 21, Russian President Vladimir Putin deployed troops into eastern Ukraine after giving a speech attempting to justify the move. Three days later, the Russian invasion began in full. There's a possible explanation for why Russia, which had...
Ties With China
Feb 4, 2022 4:13 AM CST
Putin Praises 'Unprecedented' Ties With China
He hails 'dignified relations' hours before Olympics begin
- Russian President Vladimir Putin on Friday praised "unprecedented" close relations with China, as he met with his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping in Beijing hours ahead of the Winter Olympics opening ceremony. The two leaders are looking to project themselves as a counterweight to the US and its allies, as...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Arrest Made in Ambush Murder of Microsoft Exec
After Boy, 6, Shoots Teacher, Superintendent Shown the Door
DA Says Mother Will Be Charged With Killing 2 Kids
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.