Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
At Least 2 of the 3
Apr 21, 2022 12:09 AM CDT
At Least 2 of the 3 Aircraft Carrier Sailor Deaths Were Suicides
3rd sailor's cause of death has not yet been confirmed
Suicide is to blame in the deaths of at least two of the three sailors from the dry-docked USS George Washington aircraft carrier who died within a week of one another. Retail Services Specialist 3rd Class Mika’il Rayshawn Sharp, 23, who died off-base in Portsmouth on April 9,...
Crews Try to Save
Apr 14, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
Crews Try to Save The Sullivans
World War II destroyer, named for 5 brothers, is taking on water
- A decommissioned World War II-era destroyer docked near downtown Buffalo was taking on water and listing perilously on Thursday. Crews were working to keep the USS The Sullivans from sinking at its berth at the Buffalo and Erie County Naval & Military Park, where it had been open for tours....
US Navy Makes a
Move in the Red Sea
Apr 13, 2022 1:10 PM CDT
US Navy Makes a Move in the Red Sea
Says new task force will patrol the body of water
- The US Navy said Wednesday it will begin a new task force with allied countries to patrol the Red Sea after a series of attacks attributed to Yemen's Houthi rebels in a waterway that's essential to global trade. The AP reports Vice Adm. Brad Cooper, who oversees the...
US Rep's Take on Navy's Plan:
Taxpayers Owed an Apology
Apr 8, 2022 7:40 AM CDT
US Rep's Take on Navy's Plan: Taxpayers Owed an Apology
Navy intends to decommission some of its newest warships
- The Navy that once wanted smaller, speedy warships to chase down pirates has made a speedy pivot to Russia and China—and many of those recently built ships could be retired. The US Navy wants to decommission nine ships in the Freedom-class of littoral combat ships—warships that cost about...
Honor for Ginsburg
Apr 1, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
Navy Announces Honor for Ginsburg
Secretary credits late justice for women serving in Navy's ranks now
- Recognizing that it's among the beneficiaries of Ruth Bader Ginsburg's work to secure gender equality, the Navy has announced a ship will be named for the late Supreme Court justice. "She is instrumental to why we now have women of all backgrounds, experiences and talents serving within...
in Loss of Navy Ship
Feb 25, 2022 2:00 PM CST
Court-Martial Ordered in Loss of Navy Ship
Bonhomme Richard burned for 5 days in San Diego Harbor
- A sailor accused of starting the fire that destroyed the USS Bonhomme Richard will face a court-martial for arson, according to charges filed Friday. Ryan Mays faces two counts in military court for the July 2020 blaze that injured dozens of personnel aboard the amphibious assault ship as the fire...
Navy Seal Candidate Dies
During Grueling 'Hell Week'
Feb 7, 2022 4:00 AM CST
Navy Seal Candidate Dies During Grueling 'Hell Week'
Seaman who died Friday has been identified
The Navy SEAL candidate who died Friday after "Hell Week" has been identified as a New Jersey 24-year-old. Seaman Kyle Mullen had been a standout basketball and football player at Manalapan High School who then played football for Yale and Monmouth universities, the
New Jersey Star-Ledger
Navy Scrambles to Retrieve
Jet From Bottom of Sea
Jan 26, 2022 12:24 PM CST
Navy Scrambles to Retrieve Jet From Bottom of Sea
Analysts say China might to try claim F35 fighter in South China Sea
: The Navy is scrambling to retrieve an F35 fighter jet that ended up at the bottom of the South China Sea after crash-landing on the deck of the USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier Monday. It's not clear exactly where the crash happened, but CNN describes the sea as...
Longer Boot Camp to Address
Character, Suicide Issues
Jan 7, 2022 5:10 PM CST
Longer Boot Camp to Address Character, Suicide Issues
Navy training will cover more areas, including extremism
- The Navy is adding two weeks to boot camp this year in a major overhaul aimed at improving recruits' war fighting and emergency skills while also focusing on suicide prevention and character issues such as sexual assault, hazing, and extremism in the ranks. Navy officials said Friday that expanding boot...
Prosecutors Suggest Motive
After Fire on Navy Ship
Dec 14, 2021 8:33 AM CST
Prosecutors Suggest Motive After Fire on Navy Ship
Sailor Ryan Sawyer Mays was allegedly 'disgruntled' because his SEAL training fell through
Prosecutors say a Navy sailor set fire to his ship last year because he was "disgruntled" after dropping out of training to become a Navy SEAL, reports the AP . Seaman Apprentice Ryan Sawyer Mays is accused of starting a fire that led to the destruction of the USS...
She Gave the OK for Steel Used
in Navy Subs. Now, a Guilty Plea
Nov 9, 2021 7:37 AM CST
She Gave the OK for Steel Used in Navy Subs. Now, a Guilty Plea
Retired metallurgist Elaine Thomas, 67, admits she falsified foundry's test reports on steel strength
- For about four decades, Elaine Thomas worked as a metallurgist for a steel foundry in Washington state, churning out steel castings used by Navy contractors to make submarine hulls. And for about 30 of those years, prosecutors now say, Thomas falsified results from tests designed to test the steel's...
Navy: Our Nuclear Sub
Hit Underwater Mountain
Nov 2, 2021 12:11 PM CDT
Navy: Our Nuclear Sub Hit Underwater Mountain
USS Connecticut was in the South China Sea at the time
The mystery over an accident involving a US submarine in the South China Sea has been solved: The USS Connecticut smashed into an underwater mountain that wasn't on the charts, reports CBS News . Eleven sailors were injured in the collision last month, and the sub had to sail...
Navy Engineer, Wife Arrested,
Face Espionage Charges
Oct 10, 2021 4:03 PM CDT
Navy Engineer, Wife Arrested, Face Espionage Charges
DOJ says he hid data in a peanut butter sandwich
- A Navy nuclear engineer and his wife are facing charges of trying to sell secrets to a foreign government. Jonathan Toebbe and his wife, Diana, are accused of agreeing to exchange data for thousands of dollars in cryptocurrency, the
reports. The couple, who live in Annapolis, MD, were...
US Navy Helicopter
Crashes Off of San Diego
Sep 1, 2021 12:02 AM CDT
US Navy Helicopter Crashes Off of San Diego
One crew member had been rescued by Tuesday night, 5 were missing
- A US Navy helicopter crashed Tuesday in the ocean off Southern California during a routine flight from an aircraft carrier, military officials said. A search and rescue operation was launched after the MH-60S helicopter crashed around 4:30pm about 60 nautical miles off San Diego, the Navy's US Pacific...
In Deadliest US Sub Tragedy,
'No Cover-Up' Is Found
Aug 2, 2021 9:02 AM CDT
In Deadliest US Sub Tragedy, 'No Cover-Up' Is Found
Retired Navy skipper sued for release of documents
- The release of about 3,000 pages of documents delving into the deadliest submarine disaster in US history has not yielded any sinister effort to hide the truth, a retired Navy skipper says. Instead, documents show the Navy’s policies and procedures failed to keep pace with fast-moving technological advances...
This Is a Big First
for a Woman in the Navy
Jul 16, 2021 6:55 AM CDT
This Is a Big First for a Woman in the Navy
First woman ever completes training course to join elite Naval Special Warfare team
- For the first time, a female sailor has successfully completed the grueling 37-week training course to become a Naval Special Warfare combatant-craft crewman—the boat operators who transport Navy SEALs and conduct their own classified missions at sea. Navy officials said they would not identify the woman or provide more...
New Aircraft Carrier Tested
With Massive Explosions
Jun 21, 2021 2:41 PM CDT
New Aircraft Carrier Tested With Massive Explosions
Navy set off blasts that registered 3.9 on the Richter scale
- Floridians wondering what that big boom was, the one that felt like an earthquake, got answers Sunday. The US Navy set off a 40,000 pound explosive, creating an explosion that measured 3.9 on the Richter scale, the
reports. And not as an early Fourth of July...
Navy Says Drone
Made Aviation History
Jun 8, 2021 7:52 PM CDT
Navy Says Drone Made Aviation History
It refueled fighter jet in midair
- The Navy says aviation history was made in a test flight over the Midwest when an unmanned aircraft refueled another aircraft for the first time. The Navy tweeted video of the Friday flight, in which a Boeing MQ-25 Stingray drone refueled a Navy F/A-18 Super Hornet fighter jet in midair....
Cops: Navy Medic
Shot 2, Fled to Base
Apr 6, 2021 2:00 PM CDT
Cops: Navy Medic Shot 2, Fled to Base
Gunman was shot dead at Fort Detrick
- A Navy medic shot and critically wounded two people at a Maryland business park Tuesday, then fled to a nearby Army base where he was shot and killed, police and US Navy officials said. The man entered a business at the Riverside Tech Park, causing people inside to flee, but...
A US Sub Was Lost in 1963.
Now We Know Why
Mar 21, 2021 7:40 AM CDT
A US Sub Was Lost in 1963. Now We Know Why
Declassified documents related to 1963 sinking of USS Thresher are released
- From the 1970s on, the US Navy hasn't lost a single submarine. But in April 1963 it suffered its deadliest submarine disaster when the nuclear-powered USS Thresher sank off Cape Cod, killing all 129 people on board. The details of what led to that fate had been kept under...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Sexual Link Investigated in Monkeypox Outbreak
Zelensky Suggests New Talks, on One Condition
Trump Jr. Killed a Bear, and His Guide May Go to Prison
Jif Recalls Peanut Butter
For Tiger Woods, a First He Didn't Want to Achieve
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.