Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Racist's Bullet Didn't
Scare This Civil Rights Icon
Mar 2, 2021 10:04 AM CST
Racist's Bullet Didn't Scare This Civil Rights Icon
Vernon Jordan, former adviser to Bill Clinton, dies at 85
- Vernon Jordan, who rose from humble beginnings in the segregated South to become a champion of civil rights before reinventing himself as a Washington insider and corporate influencer, has died at 85. In a Tuesday statement to CBS News, Jordan's daughter, Vickee Jordan Adams, said he died Monday night...
Trump Is Now Facing a Lawsuit
Over the Capitol Attack
Feb 16, 2021 10:05 AM CST
Trump Is Now Facing a Lawsuit Over the Capitol Attack
Rep. Bennie Thompson and NAACP's suit also names Rudy Giuliani, white supremacist groups
- He was acquitted in his impeachment trial, but Donald Trump now faces threats from the courts in regard to the Capitol riot. On Tuesday, the first such threat from a member of Congress emerged in the form of a lawsuit by Democratic Rep. Bennie Thompson of Mississippi, reports Politico . The...
The Tone Changes in Portland
Aug 2, 2020 3:10 PM CDT
The Tone Changes in Portland
Demonstrations are mostly peaceful, but police make two arrests
- Portland protests heated up again Saturday night after a relatively peaceful stint following the departure of federal officers earlier in the week,
reports. In fact, Portland police declared an unlawful assembly in southeast Portland after some protesters allegedly aimed lasers at officers and tossed things at them. Two...
of White Guys
Jun 2, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Fallon Talks 'Biggest Crime' of White Guys
'Tonight Show' host vows to end the silence on racism
- Jimmy Fallon promised a "different kind of show" in returning to the
after a weeklong hiatus on Monday—and he delivered. Days after tweeting an apology for a 2000
Saturday Night Live
sketch in which he impersonated Chris Rock in blackface, Fallon opened with a somber monologue...
'They Said No
Mar 31, 2019 2:14 PM CDT
Chris Rock: 'They Said No Jussie Smollett Jokes.' Forget About That
The comedian cracks everyone up at the NAACP Image Awards
- Jussie Smollett didn't show up Saturday for the NAACP Image Awards in Hollywood, but Chris Rock did—and he didn't hold back,
reports. "They said 'No Jussie Smollett jokes,'" said Rock after he came onstage to present outstanding comedy series. "What...
Host Hopes Jussie Smollett
Wins NAACP Image Award
Mar 29, 2019 4:37 AM CDT
Host Hopes Jussie Smollett Wins NAACP Image Award
'I hope he wins because I’d be interested to hear his speech'
- Jussie Smollett is nominated to win an award this weekend—and it's not for "Most Brazen Hoax." Instead, the
star has been nominated for an NAACP Image Award, and host Anthony Anderson says he hopes Smollett will win at Saturday's ceremony in Hollywood. "I...
Black Woman Receives N-Word
as Temporary Passcode
Aug 2, 2018 6:00 PM CDT
Black Woman Receives N-Word as Temporary Passcode
Erica Conway wants the NAACP to meet with the local utility provider
- A Washington woman was horrified when a recent attempt to reset a password returned a racial slur as the temporary new code in an email. "It was capital N---a," Erica Conway told KIRO . Conway, a board member with the Seattle NAACP chapter, said she subsequently called Puget Sound...
Be 'Unsafe' for
Oct 25, 2017 10:15 AM CDT
NAACP: Flying American May Be 'Unsafe' for Black People
Group issues national advisory for travelers
- In a highly unusual move, the NAACP has issued a national advisory warning travelers, particularly African-Americans, that they may face "disrespectful, discriminatory, or unsafe conditions" on American Airlines flights. In what it labels examples of "possible racial bias," the advisory issued Tuesday describes a black man forced...
Supporters to NFL:
Aug 24, 2017 5:03 AM CDT
Supporters to NFL: Sign Kaepernick Before Season
NAACP says player is being blackballed because of kneeling for national anthem
- Supporters of former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick are demanding he be signed by a team before the National Football League season starts next month. ESPN reports that thousands gathered outside the NFL's New York City headquarters on Wednesday to show their support for the free agent, who...
For First Time, NAACP Advises
Against Travel to a State
Aug 2, 2017 12:24 PM CDT
For First Time, NAACP Advises Against Travel to a State
Beware of civil rights violations in Missouri, organization warns
- The NAACP has issued a travel advisory for a US state, a first in the civil rights group's history. The Missouri NAACP first circulated the advisory against travel to the state in June, and the national organization has now voted to adopt it, McClatchy reports. The advisory comes after...
Ben Carson: Slaves Were
Mar 7, 2017 2:01 AM CST
Ben Carson: Slaves Were 'Involuntary Immigrants'
- Newly confirmed Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson managed to cause controversy in his very first speech to HUD employees by describing slaves as "immigrants." His remarks on slavery came after he discussed photos of impoverished immigrants arriving at Ellis Island, the
New York Times
US Dept. of Education Is Having
a Terrible Day on Twitter
Feb 12, 2017 12:32 PM CST
US Dept. of Education Is Having a Terrible Day on Twitter
Tweets a typo, apologizes with a typo
- The United States Department of Education is getting graded rather harshly after a Sunday morning tweet—"Education must not simply teach work - it must teach life."—that it attributed to one WEB "DeBois." Slight problem being that the NAACP co-founder it was trying to...
NAACP President Arrested
at Jeff Sessions' Office
Jan 4, 2017 12:34 AM CST
NAACP President Arrested at Jeff Sessions' Office
Dozens of activists staged all-day sit-in
- Cornell William Brooks, national president of the NAACP, was among six people arrested Tuesday evening after an all-day sit-in at the Alabama offices of Sen. Jeff Sessions, Donald Trump's nominee for attorney general. Around two dozen civil rights activists occupied the Republican's Mobile offices at around 11am, denouncing...
Controversial NAACP Leader
Invited to Speak at MLK Fest
Oct 6, 2016 4:32 PM CDT
Controversial NAACP Leader Invited to Speak at MLK Fest
Cary, NC, has asked Rachel Dolezal to participate
- Cary, North Carolina, is courting controversy with its speaker choice for the annual MLK Dreamfest Celebration in January, reports the New Observer . The city has invited former NAACP leader Rachel Dolezal, who triggered a national conversation about race and identity last year when it was revealed that she had presented...
on Black Teen's
Suicide, Not Hate Crime
Jun 20, 2016 12:01 PM CDT
FBI Conclusion on Black Teen's Hanging Death: Suicide, Not Hate Crime
One pathologist had suggested it was physically impossible for teen to hang himself
- When 17-year-old Lennon Lacy's body was found hanging from a belt on a swing set in a predominantly white trailer park on Aug. 29, 2014, the morning before he was set to debut as a junior linebacker on his football team in the tiny town of Bladenboro, NC, local...
Nov 2, 2015 7:05 PM CST
Rachel Dolezal Comes Clean About Racial Background
Former NAACP leader appears on 'The Real'
- Rachel Dolezal—the former NAACP leader in Spokane, Washington, who was outed as white in June —admitted today what the world pretty much knew: she was born white. "I acknowledge that I was biologically born white to white parents, but I identify as black," she said on...
Ole Miss Student Senate Votes to Nix State Flag
Oct 21, 2015 1:53 PM CDT
Ole Miss Student Senate Votes to Nix State Flag
'We are forever tied to the horrors of our past': student senator
- A lengthy student-body Senate meeting at the University of Mississippi Tuesday night resulted in a resolution to remove the state flag, which features the Confederate battle flag, from school grounds, the
reports. The measure was passed 33-15 and was penned by ASB Sen. Allen Coon in conjunction with several...
NAACP Angered by
Alaska 'Slave Auction'
Oct 20, 2015 3:31 AM CDT
NAACP Angered by Alaska 'Slave Auction'
It will now be called the Alaska Day Auction
- Organizers of an annual Alaska charity event said Monday they'll stop calling it a "slavery auction" after the NAACP complained. The event in the town of Sitka involves people bidding in an auction on volunteers' time, with the winning bidders putting the volunteers to work doing odd jobs,...
Dead at 75
Aug 16, 2015 6:05 AM CDT
Civil Rights 'Visionary' Julian Bond Dead at 75
Longtime NAACP chairman had suffered brief illness
- Julian Bond, a civil rights activist and longtime board chairman of the NAACP, died last night, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center. He was 75. Bond died in Fort Walton Beach, Fla., after a brief illness, the SPLC said in a statement released this morning. The Nashville, Tenn. native...
SC Can Now Host
Jul 12, 2015 11:13 AM CDT
Flag Removed, SC Can Now Host March Madness
NAACP, NCAA rescind their boycotts on Palmetto State
- South Carolina's removal of the Confederate flag down from its capitol on Friday had a couple of unanticipated ripple effects, reports MSNBC : First, the NAACP ended its 15-year-old boycott of the Palmetto State; president Cornell William Brooks had praised the state's move as a denouncement of "an...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Paramedic Tried to Save Crash Victim, Later Learned It Was Her Girl
Shooter's 'Death Note' Calls Out Walmart Workers
Man Solves 15-Year-Old Disneyland Riddle
Missing Cruise Passenger Turns Up Alive in Gulf Next Day
King's Secret Code Is Broken 500 Years Later
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.