Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Israel-Hamas Truce Extended
With Just Minutes to Spare
Nov 30, 2023 12:00 AM CST
Israel-Hamas Truce Extended With Just Minutes to Spare
Deal had been set to expire as negotiations got difficult
- Israel and Hamas on Thursday agreed to extend a temporary truce by another day minutes before it was set to expire, said Qatar, which has been mediating between the two sides. Negotiations on extending it came down to the wire, with last-minute disagreements over the hostages to be freed by...
As More Hostages
Are Freed, Israel
Nov 29, 2023 6:52 AM CST
As More Hostages Are Freed, Israel Sees 'Competing Demands'
Whether nation will further extend temporary pause in Gaza fighting or resume the war is a question
- Israel said a dozen more hostages—10 Israelis and two Thai nationals—were released Tuesday by Hamas, on the fifth day of a pause in fighting that's set to expire early Thursday. A tweet from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office noted that the families of this newest set...
Goes on 2-Day
Nov 29, 2023 2:30 AM CST
Cynthia Nixon Goes on 2-Day Hunger Strike
Actor is calling for Gaza ceasefire
- Cynthia Nixon joined a hunger strike calling for a permanent ceasefire in Gaza, though the actress only participated for two days. She joined a group of left-wing activists and lawmakers outside the White House on Monday for what is planned to be a five-day strike, per the
Israel, Hamas Agree
to Extend Ceasefire
Nov 27, 2023 11:04 AM CST
Israel, Hamas Agree to Extend Ceasefire
Truce will hold 2 more days after Monday
- Israel and Hamas agreed to extend their ceasefire for two more days past Monday, the Qatari government said, bringing the prospect of a longer halt to their deadliest and most destructive war and further exchanges of militant-held hostages for Palestinians imprisoned by Israel. The announcement, made by Qatari Foreign Ministry...
Israel to Palestinians: Don't
Return North During Ceasefire
Nov 24, 2023 5:17 AM CST
Israel to Palestinians: Don't Return North During Ceasefire
Hostage release is set for Friday afternoon
- A four-day ceasefire between Israel and Hamas began Friday, allowing sorely needed aid to start flowing into Gaza and setting the stage for the release of dozens of hostages held by militants and Palestinians imprisoned by Israel. There were no reports of fighting in the hours after the truce began,...
Ceasefire Start Time
Nov 23, 2023 10:46 AM CST
Hamas Confirms Ceasefire Start Time
It will begin at 7am local time Friday before 13 hostages are exchanged for 39 prisoners
- We have a date and time: The ceasefire between Israel and Hamas will begin at 7am local time Friday (12am EST), allowing humanitarian relief to enter Gaza as hostages taken by Hamas are exchanged for Palestinian prisoners held in Israel, according to a rep from Qatar's Foreign Ministry, which...
Hostage Deal Will See
Release of 3 Americans
Nov 22, 2023 7:45 AM CST
Hostage Deal Will See Release of 3 Americans
Israel, Hamas agree to 4-day pause in fighting, which could be extended
- Both Israel and Hamas have agreed to a humanitarian ceasefire that will see the release of at least 50 hostages taken by Hamas in the Oct. 7 attack that triggered the deadliest conflict in history between the two enemies. It's believed hostages will be released in groups of 10...
Israel: Hostage Deal
Is in the Works
Nov 21, 2023 10:45 AM CST
Israel: Hostage Deal Is in the Works
Cabinet meeting on Tuesday as mediators work on deal that would include temporary ceasefire
- Israel's Cabinet was to convene Tuesday to consider a deal for the release of some of the hostages held by Hamas, as troops battled militants in an urban refugee camp in north Gaza and around hospitals overcrowded with patients and sheltering families. Details of any deal, worked out through...
House Dems Whisked Out of
DNC HQ Amid Ceasefire Protest
Nov 16, 2023 7:24 AM CST
House Dems Whisked Out of DNC HQ Amid Ceasefire Protest
USCP says 6 officers were injured by 'violent' protesters; protesters say police attacked them
- A protest Wednesday outside DC's Democratic National Committee headquarters in favor of a ceasefire in the Israel-Hamas war led to an evacuation of House Democrats sheltered there, as well as violent clashes between demonstrators and law enforcement. US Capitol Police and DC's Metropolitan Police were on the scene...
Nov 15, 2023 8:35 AM CST
National Book Awards Disrupted by Defecting Sponsors
At least 2 won't attend Wednesday's NYC ceremony, amid rumors authors will call for Gaza ceasefire
- The National Book Awards already made headlines earlier this year, when it dropped Drew Barrymore from hosting its annual ceremony due to her resuming her talk show amid the Hollywood strikes. Now, with the event set to take place Wednesday in New York, there's more disruption, this time tied...
Gaza Will Be
Nov 7, 2023 12:30 AM CST
Netanyahu: Gaza Will Be Israel's Indefinite 'Responsibility'
Though it's not entirely clear what that means
- Asked who should govern Gaza when the fighting between Israel and Hamas ends, Benjamin Netanyahu said in an ABC News interview Monday, "Those who don't want to continue the way of Hamas." What does that mean? He explained: "I think Israel will, for an indefinite period,...
Biden Calls for 'Pause'
in Israel-Hamas War
Nov 2, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
Biden Calls for 'Pause' in Israel-Hamas War
After protester at his speech calls for a ceasefire
- President Biden said he thought there should be a humanitarian "pause" in the Israel-Hamas war, after his campaign speech Wednesday evening was interrupted by a protester calling for a ceasefire. "I think we need a pause," Biden said in response to the woman, who said she is...
A Day Into Military Assault,
Victory Is Declared
Sep 20, 2023 10:05 AM CDT
A Day Into Military Assault, Victory Is Declared
Ethnic Armenians in Nagorno-Karabakh agree to ceasefire after Azerbaijan's major gains: report
- One day into its military assault on the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh, Azerbaijan has declared victory. The region's ethnic Armenian leadership agreed to a ceasefire early Wednesday after Azerbaijani forces "made major advances" in the region whose estimated 100,000 Armenian residents have long maintained autonomy from Azerbaijan,...
Islamic Jihad, Israel
Agree to Cease-Fire
May 13, 2023 3:15 PM CDT
Islamic Jihad, Israel Agree to Cease-Fire
Egypt brokered the deal
- Israel and the Islamic Jihad militant group in the Gaza Strip agreed to an Egyptian-brokered cease-fire late Saturday, ending five days of intense fighting that left 33 Palestinians, including at least 13 civilians dead. Two people in Israel were killed by rocket fire. The cease-fire took effect just after 10pm,...
Putin's Ceasefire Has Begun.
No One Seems to Be Listening
Jan 6, 2023 1:34 PM CST
Putin's Ceasefire Has Begun. No One Seems to Be Listening
Artillery fire continues, apparently from both sides, after Putin's holiday mandate went into effect Friday
- Usually for a truce to work, even a temporary one, both sides have to be in agreement. Russian President Vladimir Putin is finding that out as a 36-hour ceasefire in the Ukraine war he called didn't get off to a great start on Friday, right as it began. The...
Putin Orders 36-Hour
Ceasefire in Ukraine
Jan 5, 2023 10:07 AM CST
Putin Orders 36-Hour Ceasefire in Ukraine
His forces will halt fighting to observe Russian Orthodox Christmas holiday
- Russian President Vladimir Putin on Thursday ordered Moscow's armed forces to hold a 36-hour ceasefire in Ukraine this weekend for the Russian Orthodox Christmas holiday, the Kremlin said. The order follows a proposal by the head of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill, and will start at noon on...
After Days of
Violence in Gaza
Aug 8, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Ceasefire Between Israel, Palestinians After Days of Violence in Gaza
After 3 days of the worst fighting since last year
- A ceasefire between Israel and Palestinian militants took effect late Sunday in a bid to end nearly three days of violence that killed dozens of Palestinians and disrupted the lives of hundreds of thousands of Israelis, the AP reports. The flare-up was the worst fighting between Israel and Gaza militant...
Ukraine Officials Say
It's Breached That
Mar 5, 2022 5:30 AM CST
Russia Agreed to Ceasefire. Ukraine Officials Say It's Breached That
Zelensky's office says evacuations halted after Mariupol continues to remain under fire
- The Ukrainian president's office says civilian evacuations have halted in an area of the country where Russian defense officials had announced a ceasefire. Kyrylo Tymoshenko, the deputy head of President Volodymyr Zelensky's office, said the evacuation effort was stopped because the city of Mariupol remained under fire on...
Russia Agrees to
Mar 3, 2022 4:07 PM CST
Russia Agrees to Refugee Corridors
'What are you afraid of?' Zelensky asks in pushing Putin for direct meeting
- There was little movement in the Ukraine-Russia peace talks Thursday, but there was a change that could help those trying to escape the fighting flee safely. Negotiators agreed to set up humanitarian corridors for war refugees, Axios reports. Mykhailo Podolyak, a member of the Ukrainian delegation, said his team went...
May 20, 2021 3:07 PM CDT
Israel's Netanyahu Announces Cease-Fire
Hamas calls the development a victory
- Israel on Thursday announced a cease-fire in the bruising 11-day war against Hamas militants that caused widespread destruction in the Gaza Strip and brought life in much of Israel to a standstill, per the AP . Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office announced the cease-fire after a late-night meeting of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Ecologists Want People to 'Adopt' These 'Water Monsters'
Police Raid Moscow Gay Bars After Anti-LGBTQ+ Ruling
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.