Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
With This Rocket
Hopes for a
Sep 7, 2023 7:53 AM CDT
With This Rocket Launch, Japan Hopes for a 'Qualitative Shift'
SLIM lunar lander is set to reach moon in February, hopefully within just hundreds of feet of its target
- Last month, India became the fourth nation to achieve a moon landing . Japan wants to be No. 5, and this week it launched a $100 million mission that it hopes will help it achieve that goal. The Japanese Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) said its H-IIA rocket took off Thursday morning...
Historic Walk Accomplished,
India's Moon Rover Takes a Nap
Sep 3, 2023 8:03 AM CDT
Historic Walk Accomplished, India's Moon Rover Takes a Nap
It's scheduled to wake up again on September 22
- India's moon rover has completed its walk on the lunar surface and been put into sleep mode less than two weeks after its historic landing near the lunar south pole, India's space mission said. "The rover completes its assignments. It is now safely parked and set into sleep mode,...
India Achieves a Moon Landing
That's Historic on 2 Fronts
Aug 23, 2023 8:17 AM CDT
India Achieves a Moon Landing That's Historic on 2 Fronts
It landed a spacecraft near the moon's south pole
- India on Wednesday landed a spacecraft near the moon's south pole, an uncharted territory that scientists believe could hold vital reserves of frozen water and precious elements. A lander with a rover inside touched down on the lunar surface at 6:04pm local time, sparking cheers and applause among...
47 Years Later,
Back to the Moon
Aug 11, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
47 Years Later, Russia Heads Back to the Moon
India hopes to land around the same time in search for water ice
- Russia's first moon mission in almost five decades started off with what the AP calls a "flawless" launch Friday of a rocket carrying a lunar landing craft. The launch from Russia's Vostochny Cosmodrome spaceport in the country's Far East is Russia's first since it was...
Again to Nail
Jul 14, 2023 8:15 AM CDT
India Tries Again to Nail Moon Landing
After failed 2019 mission, country launches Chandrayaan-3 with a rover and lander
- An Indian spacecraft blazed its way to the far side of the moon Friday in a follow-up mission to its failed effort nearly four years ago to land a rover softly on the lunar surface, the country's space agency said. Chandrayaan-3, the word for "moon craft" in Sanskrit,...
Will Be a Big First
Apr 25, 2023 10:39 AM CDT
'White Rabbit' Moon Landing Will Be a Big First
Hakuto lander from Japan firm ispace will be first spacecraft from private company to land on moon
- A Japanese company is about to attempt what no other private business has done: land on the moon. Tokyo's ispace company put its own spacecraft into orbit around the moon a month ago. On Tuesday, flight controllers will direct the craft, named Hakuto (Japanese for "white rabbit")...
There's a Space Race On,
and China Could Win It
Jan 2, 2023 3:31 PM CST
There's a Space Race On, and China Could Win It
'We better watch out,' says NASA Administrator Bill Nelson
- "It is a fact: We're in a space race," NASA Administrator Bill Nelson told Politico in a recent interview. And it's not just about politics and bragging rights—there are both national security and practical implications, according to many US officials. "We better watch out...
China Slams America's
'Dirty Record' in Space
Jul 5, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
China Slams America's 'Dirty Record' in Space
Officials reject NASA chief's accusation that China is trying to take over the moon
- China has angrily fired back at NASA Administrator Bill Nelson's criticism of its space program, denying that it is planning to take over the moon. In an interview with Germany's
newspaper published Saturday, Nelson said, "We must be very concerned about China landing on the moon...
NASA: Bezos Lawsuit Has
Delayed Return to the Moon
Nov 10, 2021 4:07 PM CST
NASA: Bezos Lawsuit Has Delayed Return to the Moon
Astronauts won't get there until 2025 at the earliest
- NASA says its return to the moon has been pushed back from 2024 until 2025 at the earliest—and a lawsuit from Jeff Bezos' space company is one of the main causes for the delay. "We've lost nearly seven months in litigation, and that likely has pushed the...
NASA Orders Way
May 26, 2021 4:38 PM CDT
NASA Orders Way Off-Road Vehicles
GM-Lockheed collaboration to design rugged, faster electric rovers
- General Motors is teaming up with Lockheed Martin to produce the ultimate off-road, self-driving, electric vehicles—for the moon. The project announced Wednesday is still in the early stages and has yet to score any NASA money, the AP reports. But the goal is to design light yet rugged vehicles...
Apr 21, 2021 7:15 PM CDT
Nominee Endorses Lunar Bipartisanship
Biden's NASA choice supports Trump's plan for moon landing in 2024
- President Biden's nominee for NASA administrator wants to send astronauts to the moon again as soon as possible—just as the Trump administration planned. The program goes beyond politics, former Sen. Bill Nelson said Wednesday in his confirmation hearing, and "has to be continued, regardless of who’s...
NASA Says Moon Mission
'Starting to Feel Very Real'
May 1, 2020 6:36 AM CDT
NASA Says Moon Mission 'Starting to Feel Very Real'
3 firms have contracts to design landers
- NASA had good news for Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk but bad news for Boeing Thursday. Bezos' Blue Origin company and Musk's SpaceX have been selected, along with Alabama-based Dynetics, to develop spacecraft that can land people on the moon, the BBC reports. Under contracts totaling just under $1...
India Finds Its Lander on Moon
Sep 8, 2019 10:50 AM CDT
India Finds Its Lander on Moon
Vikram still isn't sending a signal
- India's orbiter has found the missing Vikram lander on the moon's surface, but controllers have been unable to reestablish contact. The unmanned lander showed up on Chandrayaan-2's cameras Sunday, the
Times of India
reports; Vikram had gone silent as it attempted to land. The orbiter recorded a...
at Moon Landing
'Was Worth It'
Sep 7, 2019 12:45 PM CDT
India's Leader Says Attempt at Moon Landing 'Was Worth It'
Controllers lost contact with lunar lander
- "We came very close," Prime Minister Narendra Modi told India in an address Saturday after its attempt to safely put a spacecraft on the moon appears to have failed just before landing. "As important as the final result is the journey and the effort," Space.com...
India Waits as Communication
With Moon Lander Ends
Sep 6, 2019 5:03 PM CDT
India Waits as Communication With Moon Lander Ends
Unmanned Chandrayaan-2 would make nation the fourth to reach moon's surface
- India's space agency says it has lost communication with its unmanned spacecraft that was set to touch down Saturday on the moon's south pole. "Communications from lander to ground station was lost," said K Sivan, chairman of the Indian Space Research Organisation. "The data is...
Tardigrades May Have Survived
Crash Landing on Moon
Aug 7, 2019 5:03 AM CDT
Tardigrades May Have Survived Crash Landing on Moon
Microscopic creatures can live most anywhere
- When humans return to the moon, they may find other living creatures waiting for them. The cargo on an Israeli private lunar lander, Beresheet, that crashed onto the moon's surface in April included a box full of a few thousand dehydrated tardigrades. The microscopic creatures, considered one of the...
His $217 Auction Find
Sells for $1.8M
Jul 23, 2019 12:23 PM CDT
His $217 Auction Find Sells for $1.8M
Gary George says farewell to original moon landing tapes
- Gary George was an intern at NASA's Johnson Space Center when he bought 1,150 reels of magnetic tape belonging to the agency at a government surplus auction in 1976. The $217.77 purchase certainly paid off. Included were three tapes representing the "earliest, sharpest, and most accurate...
NASA to Open
Moon Rock Samples
Sealed 50 Years
Jun 27, 2019 2:43 AM CDT
NASA to Open Moon Rock Samples Sealed 50 Years
Geologists will use new technology on Apollo samples
- Inside a locked vault at Johnson Space Center is treasure few have seen and fewer have touched. The restricted lab is home to hundreds of pounds of moon rocks collected by Apollo astronauts close to a half-century ago. And for the first time in decades, NASA is about to open...
Mission Gets Most
May 14, 2019 10:15 AM CDT
NASA's Moon Mission Gets Most Appropriate Name
Greek moon goddess Artemis gets her due
- NASA's next mission to the moon is appropriately named, considering efforts to include the first female lunar walk . The mission is dubbed Artemis, after the Greek goddess of the moon and twin sister of the god Apollo, whose namesake mission propelled 12 US astronauts to the moon from 1969...
Jeff Bezos Unveils
New Lunar Lander
May 10, 2019 3:15 AM CDT
Jeff Bezos Unveils New Lunar Lander
'It’s time to go back to the moon, this time to stay'
- "This vehicle is going to the moon," the world's richest man declared Monday, unveiling his Blue Origin spacecraft company's Blue Moon lunar lander. Jeff Bezos told space industry execs at a Washington, DC, press conference Thursday that he believes the Trump administration's goal of getting...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.