Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Lawyer Accused of Bringing
More Than Papers to Jail
Nov 22, 2023 10:40 AM CST
Lawyer Accused of Bringing More Than Papers to Jail
Ronald Lewis, 77, is accused of smuggling drug-laced documents to inmates in Texas facility
- A good attorney will have your back as you navigate all the legalities of your case. An even better attorney knows that "having your back" doesn't translate to sneaking narcotics into the facility where you're incarcerated. That's exactly what lawyer Ronald Henry Lewis is accused of...
You Can Soon Practice Law
Here Without Taking Bar Exam
Nov 19, 2023 9:40 AM CST
You Can Soon Practice Law Here Without Taking Bar Exam
In 2024, Oregon will offer an apprenticeship alternative to law school students
- If you're a law school student who breaks out in a cold sweat at the thought of taking the bar exam, good news if you live in the Beaver State: A "more inclusive" way to becoming an attorney is here, according to the head of the Oregon Board...
Bad News for Former Trump
Lawyer John Eastman
Nov 3, 2023 6:27 AM CDT
Bad News for Former Trump Lawyer John Eastman
Calif. judge finds the alleged author of the Jan. 6 memo preliminarily culpable of misconduct
- Multiple defendants have already made guilty pleas regarding the Georgia case that alleges former President Trump tried to overturn the 2020 election. There are quite a few stragglers who haven't yet been offered plea deals, including ex-Trump attorney John Eastman, who now finds himself getting some not-great news in...
Another Trump Attorney
Pleads Guilty in Georgia
Oct 24, 2023 9:16 AM CDT
Another Trump Attorney Pleads Guilty in Georgia
Jenna Ellis reaches a deal with prosecutors over 2020 election
- Jenna Ellis, an attorney and prominent conservative media figure, reached a deal with prosecutors Tuesday and pleaded guilty to reduced charges over efforts to overturn Donald Trump's 2020 election loss in Georgia, per the AP . Ellis, the fourth defendant in the case to enter into a plea deal, was...
the Plea Deal.
Oct 20, 2023 7:54 AM CDT
Powell Took the Plea Deal. Looks Like He Didn't
Sources: Kenneth Chesebro, co-defendant in Georgia election interference case, rebuffed offer
- Attorney Sidney Powell accepted a plea deal from Georgia prosecutors on Thursday over efforts to overturn the 2020 election in favor of former President Trump. Powell was supposed to stand trial with another co-defendant, attorney Kenneth Chesebro, but he'll apparently be going it solo now: A source tells NBC...
Sidney Powell Takes a Plea,
Must Apologize to Georgians
Oct 19, 2023 9:51 AM CDT
Sidney Powell Takes a Plea, Must Apologize to Georgians
She gets 6 years of probation, must testify in the election interference case
- Lawyer Sidney Powell pleaded guilty to reduced charges Thursday over efforts to overturn former President Donald Trump's loss in the 2020 election in Georgia, becoming the second defendant in the sprawling case to reach a deal with prosecutors. Powell, who was charged alongside Trump and 17 others with violating...
on Lawyer's Use of AI
Oct 17, 2023 10:25 AM CDT
Fugees Rapper Blames Conviction on Lawyer's Use of AI
Prakazrel 'Pras' Michel says David Kenner hid personal stake in 'experimental' AI program
- Prakazrel "Pras" Michel wants his April corruption conviction thrown out, partly because his high-profile defense attorney allegedly relied on artificial intelligence to deliver his final arguments. Accused of conspiring with Malaysian businessman Jho Low to funnel money to political campaigns through straw donors and attempting to influence the Trump...
A Lawyer Went to the Bathroom
at Work. He Never Came Back
in case you missed it
Apr 1, 2023 4:05 PM CDT
A Lawyer Went to the Bathroom at Work. He Never Came Back
No body has been found, but Florida plastic surgeon Tomasz Kosowski is charged with murder
- The last time Florida attorney Steven Cozzi was seen was last Tuesday, at his office in Largo. Now, a local plastic surgeon is facing first-degree murder charges in Cozzi's death, though the lawyer's body still hasn't been located, reports FOX 13 . Police say that after executing a...
Judge: Trump's Attorney-Client
Privilege May Be 'Pierced'
Mar 22, 2023 6:31 AM CDT
Judge: Trump's Attorney-Client Privilege May Be 'Pierced'
Sources say special counsel Jack Smith claimed Trump misled his lawyers over classified docs
- Friday was federal Judge Beryl Howell's last day as chief judge on DC's US District Court, but before she stepped down, she entered a sealed filing with developments on the case involving classified documents seized from former President Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate last August. Within that filing, sources...
Lawyer Who Flipped Bird in
Parkland Court Investigated
Nov 4, 2022 1:33 PM CDT
Lawyer Who Flipped Bird in Parkland Court Investigated
Florida Bar confirms probe involving Tamara Curtis, assistant public defender for shooter
- One of the assistant public defenders for the Parkland school shooter is now the subject of a probe herself. Per NBC Miami , the Florida Bar confirmed Thursday that Tamara Curtis is being investigated, though it's remaining tight-lipped on what the investigation entails. Local 10 reports that Curtis wasn't...
An Elite Lottery Lawyer
Needs a Lawyer Himself
Jul 16, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
An Elite Lottery Lawyer Needs a Lawyer Himself
Bloomberg profiles Jay Kurland, awaiting trial on wire fraud, money laundering charges
- Being filthy rich isn’t always easy, especially when the riches come in the form of a major lottery jackpot. Fortunately for those rare few who beat the mathematically implausible odds , there are “lottery lawyers” like Jay Kurland to guide them through the particulars of remaining anonymous, setting up...
Man in Prison for 31 Years
Finds Savior in Novice Attorney
Jun 27, 2022 8:42 AM CDT
Man in Prison for 31 Years Finds Savior in Novice Attorney
Natlie Figgers, out of law school just 2 years, helps free wrongly convicted Thomas Raynard James
- It started with a murder in Miami, a crime that sent Thomas Raynard James to prison for more than three decades. In April, however, a judge vacated James' conviction and set him free, thanks to the efforts of an attorney just two years out of law school who was determined...
Defense Lawyer's Remark on
Arbery's Toenails Spurs Outrage
Nov 23, 2021 6:47 AM CST
Defense Lawyer's Remark on Arbery's Toenails Spurs Outrage
'Beyond rude,' is how Arbery's mother characterized Laura Hogue's comment
- The trial over the shooting death of 25-year-old Ahmaud Arbery continues, and on Monday, one of the defense attorneys found herself taking heat for a comment she made about Arbery's appearance. Per 11Alive , Laura Hogue, who's representing Gregory McMichael, stood up during closing arguments and insisted that what...
Before His Death, Lawyer
Admits to Whopping Court Lie
in case you missed it
Aug 15, 2021 3:00 PM CDT
Before His Death, Lawyer Admits to Whopping Court Lie
2 men were exonerated in abduction of Seagram heir, but it appears they shouldn't have been
- It was a sensational case, and it appeared to be a slam dunk for prosecutors. Back in 1975, two men in Brooklyn were arrested and charged with kidnapping 21-year-old Samuel Bronfman, an heir to the Seagram Company fortune. The two suspects, Irish immigrants named Mel Lynch and Dominic Byrne, confessed,...
In Spears' Bid to Dump
Conservatorship, a New Name
Jul 12, 2021 7:22 AM CDT
In Spears' Bid to Dump Conservatorship, a New Name
Ex-federal prosecutor Mathew Rosengart is said to be gearing up to represent the singer
- Britney Spears' court-appointed attorney wants out of his job , but the singer already seems to have new counsel lined up. A source tells the
New York Times
that prominent celebrity lawyer Mathew S. Rosengart looks to be Spears' choice to represent her as she fights to cut dad Jamie Spears'...
Weeks Before Trial,
R. Kelly's Lawyers Want Out
Jun 8, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
Weeks Before Trial, R. Kelly's Lawyers Want Out
Remaining attorneys say singer actually fired them
- R. Kelly is to face trial in federal court in New York this August for allegedly abusing various women and girls over 25 years. But whether the trial will go ahead is now unclear, with a report suggesting the singer has fired his two lead attorneys. In a statement to...
Lawyer Who Scammed Major
Drug Dealers Hears His Fate
May 6, 2021 8:43 AM CDT
Lawyer Who Scammed Major Drug Dealers Hears His Fate
Attorney James Morris Balagia sentenced to 15-plus years in prison for defrauding drug traffickers
- A Texas attorney who specialized in representing clients facing charges of drug possession and driving while intoxicated is now seeing the culmination of his own legal troubles. The
New York Times
reports that on Monday, James Morris Balagia, known as the "DWI Dude," was sentenced to more than...
Jamie Spears' Lawyer:
He 'Rescued' Britney
Feb 26, 2021 8:54 AM CST
Jamie Spears' Lawyer: He 'Rescued' Britney
Attorney appears on 'GMA' to push back on narrative of Jamie as a 'villain' in conservatorship
- Britney Spears wrested the tiniest bit of control away from her dad, Jamie Spears, at a court hearing earlier this month on her conservatorship, with a judge ruling that the singer's father must share conservator duties with Bessemer Trust. Combined with a recent documentary about the 39-year-old pop star...
Vandals Go After Home of
Trump Impeachment Lawyer
Feb 15, 2021 7:57 AM CST
Vandals Go After Home of Trump Impeachment Lawyer
Driveway of Michael van der Veen's Philly residence spray-painted with the word 'TRAITOR'
- Former President Trump's impeachment trial is over , but not for one of his defense attorneys, who says he's been the target of harassment, intimidation, and vandalism since taking on Trump as a client. "My home was attacked," van der Veen said Saturday, per a pool report...
Attorney Suspended After
Posting Murderous Advice
Jan 25, 2021 1:21 PM CST
Attorney Suspended After Posting Murderous Advice
Nashville's Winston Sitton posted instructions on getting away with killing, denies it was sincere
- A Nashville attorney is temporarily no longer practicing law after he offered some legal advice to a woman on Facebook. The problem is that the advice centered on how to kill somebody and get away with it, reports ABC News . The unusual case goes back to 2017, when attorney Winston...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Doritos Has Solved the Issue of Crunching
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.