Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Hits Star Trainer
Jun 2, 2021 6:05 PM CDT
Churchill Downs Hits Star Trainer With 2-Year Suspension
Bob Baffert will be barred from company tracks after second Medina Spirit drug test confirmed first
- After a second test on his Kentucky Derby winner came back positive for a banned steroid, Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert has been suspended by Churchill Downs. The punishment will last till the end of the 2023 spring meet, the
reports. "Substance violations that jeopardize the...
Derby Winner Medina Spirit
Fails 2nd Drug Test
Jun 2, 2021 10:06 AM CDT
Derby Winner Medina Spirit Fails 2nd Drug Test
Betamethasone was found at prohibited level
- Medina Spirit could go down in history as the second horse to be disqualified from the Kentucky Derby for a failed drug test. Two, in this case. A second sample tested at the request of trainer Bob Baffert has come back positive, says Clark Brewster, a lawyer for Medina Spirit...
'Cancel Culture' Is Off the Hook
in Derby Winner's Drug Test
May 11, 2021 4:37 PM CDT
'Cancel Culture' Is Off the Hook in Derby Winner's Drug Test
Trainer Bob Baffert says ointment used on Medina Spirit contained steroid
- A day after he blamed "cancel culture" for the Kentucky Derby winner he trained flunking a postrace drug test , Bob Baffert has acknowledged that there is a likelier suspect: an ointment that contains the drug Medina Spirit tested positive for. In a statement Tuesday, Baffert said his veterinarian had...
May 11, 2021 4:00 AM CDT
Trump Offers Statement on Kentucky Derby Doping Scandal
As horse trainer blames 'cancel culture'
- Bob Baffert blames "cancel culture" for the controversy surrounding the Kentucky Derby win of a horse he trained, Medina Spirit, which flunked a drug test after the race . "We live in a different world now," the trainer told Fox News on Monday. "This America is different....
Kentucky Derby Winner
Flunks Postrace Drug Test
May 9, 2021 1:15 PM CDT
Kentucky Derby Winner Flunks Postrace Drug Test
Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert: 'We didn't do it'
- Medina Spirit, the winner of last weekend's Kentucky Derby, has flunked a postrace drug test. The test sample was found to include 21 picograms, twice the legal threshold, of the steroid betamethasone. "I was totally shocked when I heard this news," Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert...
12-1 Horse Leads From Start
to Finish in Kentucky Derby
May 1, 2021 6:38 PM CDT
12-1 Horse Leads From Start to Finish in Kentucky Derby
Medina Spirit's win is 7th derby victory for trainer Bob Baffert, 4th for jockey John Velazquez
- Medina Spirit has won the 147th Kentucky Derby by a half-length over Mandaloun, giving Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert a record seventh victory in the premier race for 3-year-olds, per the AP . The bay colt led the $3 million race from start to finish after going off at 12-1...
Derby Won't Bar
Apr 30, 2021 2:44 PM CDT
Derby Won't Bar Sheikh Over His Daughter's Disappearance
Dubai's ruler is accused of kidnapping his daughter after she tried to flee
- No action will be taken against the owner of the favorite in Saturday's Kentucky Derby, despite a complaint filed against him concerning his daughter's disappearance . Human rights lawyers and students from the University of Louisville had asked the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission to suspend Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid...
Jacob Blake: 'You Can Change
Your Lives Out There'
Sep 6, 2020 7:05 AM CDT
Jacob Blake: 'You Can Change Your Lives Out There'
Kenosha man releases first words from hospital bed as protests rage on elsewhere
- Jacob Blake released a message from his hospital bed in which he beseeched viewers to take to heart that "Your life and not only just your life, your legs—something that you need to move around, to move forward in life—can be taken like this, man," said...
Derby Upset Means No
Triple Crown Winner
Sep 5, 2020 6:39 PM CDT
Derby Upset Means No Triple Crown Winner
Authentic beat Tiz the Law, who won the Belmont earlier
- There will be no Triple Crown winner in the weird world of 2020 sports. Authentic won the Kentucky Derby on Saturday, edging out the heavy favorite, Tiz the Law, reports ESPN . This year, the derby actually came
the Belmont Stakes, which was won by Tiz the Law in June....
to Be Weird'
Sep 4, 2020 5:35 PM CDT
Kentucky Derby: 'It's Going to Be Weird'
The crowd, and many of the traditions, will be missing this year
- Forget the mint juleps in souvenir glasses, men in seersucker suits, and women wearing hats exploding in a floral frenzy. The Kentucky Derby still has horses—Tiz the Law is the biggest favorite in 31 years—but just about everything else makes the 146th edition unlike any other. "It'...
Kentucky Derby Organizers
Do a 180 on Spectators
Aug 22, 2020 6:30 AM CDT
Kentucky Derby Organizers Do a 180 on Spectators
Decision to allow fans to attend this year's event in September is reversed
- Organizers tried to figure out a way to keep the Kentucky Derby horse race safe for fans this year amid the coronavirus pandemic, but those efforts have apparently come to naught. Per WLKY , Churchill Downs announced Friday it wouldn't be allowing spectators after all at the Sept. 5 event...
The Run for the Roses Is Off
Mar 17, 2020 12:03 AM CDT
The Run for the Roses Is Off
Coronavirus outbreak expected to delay Kentucky Derby until September
- This year will be the first since 1945 that the Kentucky Derby hasn't taken place on the first Saturday in May. Officials confirmed Monday that to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, the race will be postponed for the first time since World War II, when restrictions on horse...
Now It's the Jockey's
Turn to Get Punished
May 13, 2019 1:07 PM CDT
Now It's the Jockey's Turn to Get Punished
Kentucky horse officials suspend him for 15 race days
- The jockey who rode Maximum Security into infamy at the Kentucky Derby has now been suspended, the
reports. The Kentucky Horse Racing Commission on Sunday suspended Luis Saez for 15 race days, citing "failure to controI his mount" or "maintain a straight course thereby causing interference with...
Jockey's Lawyers Say
May 10, 2019 5:25 PM CDT
Video Clears Disqualified Winner, Jockey's Lawyers Say
Racing commission watches film with riders
- Video evidence shows jockey Luis Saez wasn't to blame for Maximum Security's disqualification in the Kentucky Derby, the jockey's lawyers say. They turned the video over to the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission on Friday, the
reports. In fact, an attorney for Saez says it shows...
One More Bit of Bad News
for Horse Racing Fans
May 7, 2019 12:38 PM CDT
One More Bit of Bad News for Horse Racing Fans
No chance of Triple Crown: Derby winner Country House won't run in Preakness
- The odds of a Triple Crown winner sank considerably when Maximum Security was disqualified at the Kentucky Derby. Now, they've disappeared entirely. Derby winner Country House—named the winner after the disqualification—will not run in the Preakness, reports the Daily Racing Form . It quotes trainer Bill Mott as...
Owner of Disqualified Horse
Plans to Appeal
May 6, 2019 1:06 PM CDT
Owner of Disqualified Horse Plans to Appeal
And Maximum Security won't race at the Preakness, either
- The owner of the horse who was disqualified after finishing first in the Kentucky Derby thinks he got robbed—and he plans to appeal the decision with the state racing commission. "We were stunned, shocked, and in total disbelief," Gary West, owner of Maximum Security, tells NBC News...
Trump Calls Derby Decision
May 5, 2019 10:25 AM CDT
Trump Calls Derby Decision 'Political Correctness'
Best horse didn't win, president's tweet says
- "The best horse did NOT win the Kentucky Derby," President Trump tweeted Sunday in criticizing the decision to disqualify the apparent winner, the
reports. Country House was declared the official winner after Maximum Security was disqualified for impeding other horses. "It was a rough and...
Bettors Take $9M Bath
After Kentucky Derby Mess
May 5, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
Bettors Take $9M Bath After Kentucky Derby Mess
$10 refunds to ease losses on Maximum Security
- The Kentucky Derby's decision to name a horse that didn't cross the finish line first the winner hit bettors hard, ESPN reports. Maximum Security finished ahead of the field but was disqualified for interfering with other horses Saturday, which made 65-1 long-shot Country House the official winner. The...
This Has Never Happened
in the Kentucky Derby
May 4, 2019 6:28 PM CDT
This Has Never Happened in the Kentucky Derby
First-place finisher is disqualified, giving victory to Country House
- For the first time in Kentucky Derby history, the horse that crossed the finish line first was disqualified, reports NBC News . As a result, a 65-1 long shot named Country House is the winner. Maximum Security led the entire race and finished first, more than a length ahead of Country...
Kentucky Derby Favorite
Just Dropped Out
May 2, 2019 5:55 AM CDT
Kentucky Derby Favorite Just Dropped Out
Omaha Beach is scratched because of a breathing problem
- Suddenly, the Kentucky Derby is wide open. Favorite Omaha Beach was scratched because of a breathing problem Wednesday night, leaving a pair of Hall of Famers—trainer Richard Mandella and jockey Mike Smith—on the sideline. Churchill Downs oddsmaker Mike Battaglia revised the morning line to make Game Winner the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Offer From Germany Leaves Mayor in Ukraine 'Speechless'
After 24-Hour Treatment, Frogs Started Regrowing Lost Limbs
Mayor's Brother Sees Salary Cut From $210K to $1
Buffalo Bills Have Fans Arrested Over Their Vaccine Cards
Retrieval of Sunken F35 Is 'Vitally Important' for US
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.