Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
New Gray Wolf Pack
Found in California
Aug 12, 2023 3:25 PM CDT
New Gray Wolf Pack Found in California
State hasn't spotted a pack so far south in more than a century
- A previously unknown pack of gray wolves has been spotted in California, wildlife officials announced Friday. The pack was identified in the southern Sierra Nevada Mountains, about 200 miles from the closest known pack and the farthest south a pack of wolves has been detected in the state in more...
of Yellowstone Wolves Killed
Jan 7, 2022 2:00 AM CST
'Extraordinary Number' of Yellowstone Wolves Killed
20 roamed from the park in recent months and were shot
- Twenty of Yellowstone National Park's renowned gray wolves roamed from the park and were shot by hunters in recent months—the most killed by hunting in a single season since the predators were reintroduced to the region more than 25 years ago, according to park officials. Fifteen wolves were...
Trailblazing Wolf Found Dead
an Hour North of Los Angeles
Nov 25, 2021 8:20 AM CST
Trailblazing Wolf Found Dead an Hour North of Los Angeles
OR93 was apparently killed by vehicle
- A gray wolf that made history via its epic journey to southern California has met a sad but all too predictable end. The California Department of Fish and Wildlife says the body of OR93, a male wolf born in northern Oregon in 2019, was found earlier this month by a...
Protections Are Eased, and
Wolf Population Takes a Hit
Jul 6, 2021 1:13 PM CDT
Protections Are Eased, and Wolf Population Takes a Hit
Hunters killed about a third of gray wolves in Wisconsin
- As many as one-third of Wisconsin's gray wolves likely died at the hands of humans in the months after the federal government announced it was ending legal protections, according to a new study. Poaching and a February hunt that far exceeded kill quotas were largely responsible for the drop-off,...
'Incredible' Finds on Wolf Pup
That Died 57K Years Ago
Dec 22, 2020 10:45 AM CST
'Incredible' Finds on Wolf Pup That Died 57K Years Ago
How this mummified Ice Age pup died, her last meal, and more
- We now know a lot more about the 57,000-year-old wolf pup who still looks cute enough to pet . The mummified gray wolf discovered in Canada's Yukon territory in 2016 is the subject of a new study, revealing the female pup's internal organs are as well-preserved as her...
Count Finds Endangered
Predator Bouncing Back
Mar 19, 2020 6:15 PM CDT
Count Finds Endangered Predator Bouncing Back
Number of wolves in the wild is the highest since federal effort began
- A voice interrupted the crackle of the radio at base camp: "Starting pursuit." The rest of the team on the ground at Gila National Forest in New Mexico was eager to hear those words after the low-flying helicopter crew had been working all morning to get close to...
Journey Ends in Death
Feb 7, 2020 10:34 AM CST
Wolf's 8,700-Mile Journey Ends in Death
OR-54 was found dead on Wednesday
- The endangered female gray wolf known as OR-54 is dead, and with it her 8,700-mile fruitless journey for a mate. The
reports Oregon wildlife biologists got a GPS-tracking collar on her in October 2017, and her "incredible journey" has been closely watched since. She entered California...
Wolves Are Airdropped Onto
Island to Counter Moose Boom
Mar 7, 2019 6:52 PM CST
Wolves Are Airdropped Onto Island to Counter Moose Boom
As ice bridges melt, migration happens by helicopter
- Four Canadian wolves now find themselves in a strange habitat, an island in Lake Superior, after being airdropped there by the US National Park Service. Their mission is to whittle down the moose population in Michigan's Isle Royale National Park, the
reports, and help grow the wolf population....
They Pulled a Dog From
Icy River. It Wasn't a Dog
Feb 24, 2019 10:24 AM CST
They Pulled a Dog From Icy River. It Wasn't a Dog
Construction workers said the wolf was 'calm. Slept on my legs'
- Estonian construction workers got the shock of their lives when they found out the animal they saved from an icy river was not a dog but a wolf. Rando Kartsepp, Robin Sillamae, and Erki Vali told the
newspaper they were working at the Sindi dam on the frozen Parnu...
Mystery Animal Wasn't
Such a Mystery
Jun 19, 2018 1:32 PM CDT
Mystery Animal Wasn't Such a Mystery
Creature shot by rancher in Montana turns out to be a gray wolf
- The mystery is over: Wildlife officials have confirmed that an unusual-looking animal shot in central Montana was merely a gray wolf. Montana Fish, Wildlife, and Parks officials initially weren't certain what the creature was when a rancher shot it in May, noting that its legs, front claws, and canine...
'Incredible': California Has
2nd Pack of Gray Wolves
Jul 6, 2017 11:27 AM CDT
'Incredible': California Has 2nd Pack of Gray Wolves
A century after being wiped out of the state, the wolves are rebounding
- "This is a pretty incredible conservation moment," a rep for the Center for Biological Diversity tells the
San Francisco Chronicle
following news from California: A second pack of gray wolves has been spotted in the state. State officials have known for about a year that a pair of...
3 States Could Resume
Hunting Wolves This Fall
May 8, 2017 1:01 AM CDT
3 States Could Resume Hunting Wolves This Fall
Lawmakers from Great Lakes states want protections lifted
- Gray wolves in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan could again find themselves in hunters' crosshairs—possibly as soon as this fall if federal protections are removed for the predators. A ruling is expected soon from an appeals court that recently lifted protections for wolves in Wyoming. In Congress, wolf-hunting supporters aren'...
North America Only Has
One Wolf Species Left
Jul 28, 2016 7:41 AM CDT
North America Only Has One Wolf Species Left
It's the gray wolf; all others are hybrids: study
- The US government recognizes three wolf species in North America: the red wolf, eastern wolf, and gray wolf. Two, it turns out, aren't true wolf at all. In a new genetic study , scientists at UCLA say the gray wolf is the last wolf species on the continent and all...
California 'Amazed' to
Find Wolf Pack in State
Aug 21, 2015 11:28 AM CDT
California 'Amazed' to Find Wolf Pack in State
Wolves are returning home after being hunted nearly to extinction
- It's the summer of the wolf pack in California, and no we're not talking about another
sequel. A family of gray wolves—two adults and five pups—were yesterday confirmed to be living in the state. The last time the state hosted a pack was the early...
Study: 'Golden Wolf' Has
Been Hiding in Plain Sight
Jul 31, 2015 12:10 AM CDT
Study: 'Golden Wolf' Has Been Hiding in Plain Sight
We just thought it was the African golden jackal
- Africa, home to the Ethiopian wolf and the gray wolf, can now lay claim to the African golden wolf—the first new species of canid (which also encompasses jackals, foxes, and coyotes) to be discovered in 150 years, reports
. The new species has long been misunderstood to be...
Utah Hunter Kills Famed
'Grand Canyon' Gray Wolf
Feb 12, 2015 6:03 AM CST
Utah Hunter Kills Famed 'Grand Canyon' Gray Wolf
Hunter said he thought endangered gray wolf was a coyote
- Hundred of miles from its Wyoming home, "914F" wandered to the rocky North Rim of the Grand Canyon last fall—the first gray wolf spotted there in 70 years, the
notes—before heading into Utah, likely searching for food or a mate. But in December, the wolf'...
Idaho Offers Prizes to
Jan 2, 2015 1:43 AM CST
Idaho Offers Prizes to Coyote-Killing Kids
Predator-killing contest began at sunrise today
- A controversial contest to kill as many wolves and coyotes as possible began at sunrise today—with $1,000 prizes for the overall winners and rifles for winners in the 10-13 and 14-17 age categories. The hunting derby is going ahead on Forest Service and private land over the next...
Rare Gray Wolf
Dec 30, 2014 2:44 PM CST
Rare Gray Wolf in Utah Shot by Mistake
Hunter says he thought it was a coyote
- A hunter in Utah says he got a startling surprise this weekend after killing a coyote: The coyote turned out to be a gray wolf, a rarity in those parts. The hunter notified state wildlife authorities, who confirmed that he had indeed shot a 3-year-old female wolf near the city...
Nov 2, 2014 10:07 AM CST
70-Year First? Gray Wolf Spotted in Grand Canyon
Conservationists trying to confirm multiple sightings
- There's a new visitor roaming the Grand Canyon National Park's North Rim, and it's not exactly the fanny-pack-wearing/Nikon-toting variety: As
reports, wildlife officials are scrambling to confirm multiple sightings of a "wolf-like animal" that's believed to be a gray wolf—if it is,...
May Be Over
May 14, 2014 11:09 AM CDT
Wandering Wolf's Epic Quest May Be Over
OR7 appears to have found his mate, and might be a dad
- It may have taken three years, two states, and something of a movie deal, but the wandering gray wolf known as OR7 appears to have found his girl. OR7 first attracted attention in 2011 when he abandoned his pack in northeastern Oregon and trekked to California in search of—what...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.