Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Zoo Officials Fear Worst
for Missing Wallaby Joey
May 10, 2022 4:28 PM CDT
Zoo Officials Fear Worst for Missing Wallaby Joey
The missing joey is barely old enough to be outside its mother's pouch
- Officials at the Detroit Zoo are clinging to the last shreds of hope that they will find a wallaby joey, which vanished from the Australian Outback Adventure habitat sometime between Saturday evening and Sunday morning, according to MLive . The five-month-old joey, named Sprocket, was about the size of a baby...
Not the Loch Ness
Monster in Detroit, but
Something Else Amazing
May 7, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Not the Loch Ness Monster in Detroit, but Something Else Amazing
What may be first river otter seen in 100 years in Detroit River shows water pollution is decreasing
- "As a PhD student in marine ecology, Eric Ste Marie knew what he saw was rare." That sighting in the Detroit River last month, as described by WXYZ , is now making headlines, and it may be the first of its kind in a century. Ste Marie, a 27-year-old...
Cops Show Up at Dawn
at Ambassador Bridge
Feb 12, 2022 10:15 AM CST
Cops Show Up at Dawn at Ambassador Bridge
Trucker protest seemed to dissolve peacefully as police moved in to enforce injunction
- A tense standoff at a US-Canadian border crossing crucial to both countries' economies appeared to be dissolving peacefully Saturday as Canadian police moved in to disperse the nearly weeklong blockade, and demonstrators began leaving without resistance. Many protesters drove away from the Ambassador Bridge spanning the river between Detroit and...
While Cleaning Gun, Mom
Jan 11, 2022 2:11 AM CST
While Cleaning Gun, Mom Shoots 4-Year-Old—Twice
Child was hospitalized in critical condition, mother was arrested
- A Detroit mother told police that someone tried to grab her purse outside their apartment Friday afternoon before opening fire, and that her 4-year-old child was struck twice by bullets. By that night, however, the woman had confessed there was no robbery—police say she was actually trying to clean...
Parents of Oxford Suspect
Caught After Manhunt
Dec 4, 2021 5:30 AM CST
Parents of Oxford Suspect Caught After Manhunt
James and Jennifer Crumbley seemed 'distressed' when found in Detroit commercial building
- The parents of a teen accused of killing four students in a shooting at a Michigan high school were caught early Saturday, several hours after a prosecutor filed involuntary manslaughter charges against them, officials said. James and Jennifer Crumbley were captured in a commercial building in Detroit that housed artwork,...
A Common Housing Scam
Is Plaguing Detroit Residents
Nov 10, 2021 11:26 AM CST
A Common Housing Scam Is Plaguing Detroit Residents
Some 10% of people facing eviction there may have fallen victim to it
- The eviction notice made no sense. June Walker flat out owned her Detroit home—or so she thought. As NBC News and Outlier Media report as part of a four-month investigation, the 65-year-old is part of an increasingly common "fake landlord" scam plaguing the city that's thought to...
Report Goes Viral
Oct 15, 2021 2:07 PM CDT
Journalist's Skateboarding Report Goes Viral
Detroit's Victor Williams gives it a personal touch
- A new skate park in Detroit is offering free lessons, and suddenly a
of people know about it. The reason? WDIV journalist Victor Williams' report from the skate park has gone viral—because he delivered it live while showing off his own skateboarding skills, reports the
Man Who Pleaded With City
for Speed Bump Hit by Truck
Aug 25, 2021 2:38 PM CDT
Man Who Pleaded With City for Speed Bump Hit by Truck
Aaron Dome repeatedly warned Detroit about people speeding near his home
- Aaron Dome repeatedly asked the city to install speed bumps on his street on Detroit's east side. He took videos and reported hundreds of speeding drivers to authorities, but his requests were rejected on grounds including the area's crash history. Last month, he became part of that history...
Michigan Man Rushes Into
Burning House to Save Babies
Jul 31, 2021 12:25 PM CDT
Michigan Man Rushes Into Burning House to Save Babies
Ray Lucas suffered third-degree burns, but the girls will be okay
- A Michigan dad didn’t hesitate to run into a burning house, and that saved his daughters’ lives. Ray Lucas came home from running a quick errand with his partner, Shi’Ann Brown, to find his house on fire and his mother and niece panicking at the front door,
'White Boy Rick' Inspiration
Sues Police for $100M
Jul 21, 2021 3:29 AM CDT
'White Boy Rick' Inspiration Sues Police for $100M
Says he was coerced, as a teen, into becoming informant
- A Detroit-area man whose decades in prison for drug dealing and work as an informant inspired the movie
White Boy Rick
filed a lawsuit Tuesday seeking $100 million, claiming he was coerced into assisting police while just a helpless teenager, the AP reports. Richard Wershe Jr., 52, served roughly 30...
10 Most, Least
Stressed US Cities
Jul 12, 2021 11:45 AM CDT
10 Most, Least Stressed US Cities
Per WalletHub, Cleveland needs a chill pill, while S. Burlington in Vermont is kicking back just fine
- It's been a tough 16 months, and stress levels have been high—though in some cities across the country, that stress has been tougher to contend with than in others. WalletHub wanted to see which places have been dealing with things best (and which not so much), so it...
Detroit Cemetery Exhuming
20 Bodies in Grave Mix-Up
Jun 9, 2021 1:03 AM CDT
Detroit Cemetery Exhuming 20 Bodies in Grave Mix-Up
It's not clear yet how many are buried in the wrong place
- Family members were devastated after discovering that their loved ones' remains may have been buried in the wrong place in a Detroit cemetery. Gethsemane Cemetery started exhuming 20 bodies Monday in a process expected to be completed Wednesday, the
reports. It's not clear how many of those...
$32K Raised To Help Kid
Who Saved Siblings From Dog
May 22, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
$32K Raised To Help Kid Who Saved Siblings From Dog
Deacon Ashmore, 12, was bitten when he jumped in front of the other kids
- Hundreds of people have donated money totaling more than $32,000 to help a young hero. Deacon Ashmore, a 12-year-old sixth grader was badly bitten by a dog in front of his family’s Detroit home Monday. Deacon and his younger siblings were playing outside when two dogs, probably stray...
Host Wins House
May 21, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
Scammed HGTV Host Wins House
Judge finds Nicole Curtis' title was recorded first
- The star of HGTV's
Rehab Addict Rescue
has won a dispute with Detroit over ownership of a blighted home. Nicole Curtis said she spent at least $60,000 to start fixing up the home after buying it from a couple for $17,000. But the Detroit Land Bank Authority...
Ford Finds Great Homes
for $100K Worth of Leather
Mar 25, 2021 2:05 AM CDT
Ford Finds Great Homes for $100K Worth of Leather
It will go to local businesses helping veterans, domestic abuse survivors
- Ford is finding all kinds of forgotten treasures as it prepares to demolish its product development center in Dearborn, Michigan—including leather worth more than $100,000. The company says around 250 cowhides that were to have become seat covers in high-end Ford vehicles will be donated to two small...
Fake Owner Dupes HGTV Host
Mar 24, 2021 12:33 AM CDT
Fake Owner Dupes HGTV Host
Nicole Curtis apparently was scammed, mayor says
- The star of HGTV's
Rehab Addict Rescue
apparently was scammed when she bought a blighted Detroit home from someone who wasn't the owner, the mayor said. The Detroit Land Bank Authority holds the title to the house. Nicole Curtis said she paid $17,000 for the property in...
4 Lottery Winners Splitting
$557M Plan to Pay It Forward
Mar 12, 2021 4:05 PM CST
4 Lottery Winners Splitting $557M Plan to Pay It Forward
Club took the $1.05 billion Mega Millions jackpot
- A four-member suburban Detroit lottery club won a $1.05 billion Mega Millions jackpot and will receive $557 million after taxes, officials said Friday. The winners claimed their prize weeks after the Jan. 22 drawing and chose the immediate lump sum option. After taxes, the $776 million prize was reduced...
Experts Warn on
Mar 5, 2021 12:23 PM CST
After Detroit Spurns Vaccine, Experts Warn on 'Brand Shopping'
Mayor Duggan turned down 6.2K J&J doses, saying he wants Pfizer, Moderna for city
- Johnson and Johnson's newly approved coronavirus vaccine doesn't have to be kept in the same ultra-cold temps as the Pfizer and Moderna versions, and patients need only one shot, as opposed to the double dose required by the other companies. But this week, the city of Detroit declined...
'Scuba Steve' Sentenced
in Drug Smuggling Case
Mar 3, 2021 3:23 PM CST
'Scuba Steve' Sentenced in Drug Smuggling Case
Canadian man was found in river unconscious, tethered to 185 pounds of pot
- A Canadian man who was found unconscious and tethered to 185 pounds of marijuana in the Detroit River was sentenced Wednesday to about six years in a US prison. The capture of Glen Mousseau—nicknamed "Scuba Steve" by authorities—last June capped a strange few weeks in his dealings...
Cities Face Rising
Dec 28, 2020 5:30 PM CST
Cities Face Rising Gun Violence
Several factors could be behind the increase, officials say
- When Andre Avery drives his commercial truck through Detroit, he keeps his pistol close. Avery, 57, grew up in the Motor City and is aware that homicides and shootings are surging, even though before the pandemic they were dropping in Detroit and elsewhere. His gun is legal, and he carries...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
2 Secret Service Employees Sent Home From Biden's Trip
Suspects' Mercedes-Benz Getting Loads of Attention
Carlson Asked Unexpected Person for Favor for His Son
Archbishop to Pelosi: No More Communion for You
Topless Anti-Russia Protester Crashes Cannes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.