Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Arrest Made in Killing of
Detroit Synagogue Leader
Nov 8, 2023 2:50 PM CST
Arrest Made in Killing of Detroit Synagogue Leader
Police have not disclosed name of Samantha Woll's alleged killer
- Police in Detroit say an arrest has been made in last month's killing of synagogue leader Samantha Woll. Police say the 40-year-old was stabbed in her home in an attack they do not believe was connected to antisemitism, the
reports. Police have not released the suspect's...
Strike a 'Victory
Oct 31, 2023 8:39 AM CDT
Strike a 'Victory for Autoworkers,' Not Necessarily for Consumers
Car prices could jump more than $1K to pay for new labor costs, one auto expert says
- General Motors, the final holdout in the United Auto Workers strike, finally caved this week, reaching a tentative agreement with workers that would bring to an end six weeks of strikes that targeted GM, Ford, and Stellantis—the so-called Big Three of Detroit. Details for all of the automakers' agreements...
This Is the Most
Dangerous City to Drive In
Oct 24, 2023 5:43 PM CDT
This Is the Most Dangerous City to Drive In
Detroit is the most risky, while New York is safest, per SellMax
- There's a risk anytime you get behind the wheel, but driving in some places is more dangerous than others. Using stats from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, SellMax looked at cities across the US, grouping fatality data based on speeding, DUIs, and other variables. The car-selling site found...
Is Murdered in Detroit
Oct 23, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
Synagogue Leader Is Murdered in Detroit
Police have no motive yet in the fatal stabbing of Samantha Woll
- Detroit's police chief said Sunday that so far, there's no evidence antisemitism was the motive in the murder of synagogue leader Samantha Woll, NBC News reports. The investigation, with which the FBI and state police are assisting, continues. "I again ask the community to remain patient while...
Predator Vigilante Fatally
Shot in Restaurant
Oct 2, 2023 2:52 PM CDT
Predator Vigilante Fatally Shot in Restaurant
Robert Wayne Lee of Pontiac, Michigan,, aka Boopac Shakur, sought to expose sexual predators
- A 40-year-old Detroit-area man who posed as a 15-year-old girl on social media to identify alleged sexual predators has been fatally shot during an argument in a restaurant. Police arrested two males, ages 17 and 18, in Friday night's slaying of Robert Wayne Lee of Pontiac, the Oakland County...
Warning to UAW:
Don't Kill 'the Goose
That Lays the Golden Egg'
Sep 21, 2023 10:35 AM CDT
Warning to UAW: Don't Kill 'the Goose That Lays the Golden Egg'
In 'NYT' op-ed, Steven Rattner worries about strike's 'implications for our economy,' and for Biden
- The United Auto Workers union is threatening to expand its targeted strike against Detroit's Big Three automakers if major advances aren't seen in contract negotiations by Friday. But at least one person thinks that the UAW is "overplaying its hand" in taking on Ford, General Motors, and...
UAW Contract Deadline Nears:
'Nobody's Coming to Save Us'
Sep 14, 2023 7:53 AM CDT
UAW Contract Deadline Nears: 'Nobody's Coming to Save Us'
United Auto Workers leader Shawn Fain says likely strike will be 'limited and targeted'
- The head of the United Auto Workers union said Wednesday that a strike against Detroit's Big Three automakers is imminent, with negotiations ahead of Thursday's 11:59pm contract deadline not making the headway needed to fend off a work stoppage at Ford, General Motors, and Stellantis, per the...
On Labor Day,
a Major Strike Looms
Sep 4, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
On Labor Day, a Major Strike Looms
'More combative' United Auto Workers union makes demands ahead of contract expiration on Sept. 14
- A 46% pay raise. A 32-hour workweek with 40 hours of pay. A restoration of traditional pensions. The demands that a more combative United Auto Workers union has pressed on General Motors, Stellantis, and Ford—demands that even the UAW's own president calls "audacious"— are edging it...
Aug 10, 2023 5:10 PM CDT
Pregnant Woman's Arrest Spurs a Change
Detroit police can't rely solely on facial recognition system, chief says
- Detroit's police chief said he's setting new policies on the use of facial-recognition technology after a woman who was eight months pregnant said she was wrongly charged with robbery and carjacking in a case that was ultimately dismissed by prosecutors. The technology, which was used on images taken...
Facial Recognition Fails:
Aug 7, 2023 10:05 AM CDT
Facial Recognition Fails: Pregnant Woman Wrongly Arrested
Porcha Woodruff sues city of Detroit, says facial-recognition technology led to that false arrest
- When a very pregnant Porcha Woodruff was approached by cops earlier this year and told she was being arrested, the 32-year-old aesthetician and nursing school student from Detroit initially thought they were kidding. It was no joke, however, and now she's suing the city, alleging a false arrest based...
This Is the Most
Stressed City in America
Jul 11, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
This Is the Most Stressed City in America
Cleveland tops WalletHub's list, while Vermont's South Burlington chillaxes in last place
- Between work, family issues, money, and life's other usual trials and tribulations, trying to tamp down on stress can seem a fruitless task. There may be some areas of the country, however, where you can surround yourself with a calmer, more carefree populace. WalletHub examined the 182 largest US...
6-Year-Old Finds Gun in
Home, Shoots Baby Brother
Jun 10, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
6-Year-Old Finds Gun in Home, Shoots Baby Brother
Cops say Detroit infant will survive after latest incident involving kids stumbling on firearms
- "Here we are again." That was the frustrated statement given Wednesday night by Detroit Assistant Police Chief Charles Fitzgerald, after a 6-year-old boy found a gun inside his house and shot his baby brother, twice—in what Fitzgerald noted has become a "too common occurrence," per...
Clerk Who Locked
Door to Face Trial in
Gas Station Shooting
Jun 6, 2023 6:12 PM CDT
Clerk Who Locked Door to Face Trial in Gas Station Shooting
3 people locked in with gunman were shot
- A judge on Tuesday ordered a Detroit gas station clerk to stand trial for involuntary manslaughter, saying his decision to lock the door and then taunt an angry customer contributed to the fatal shooting of a bystander. Aiyash, 22, was working behind protective glass on May 6 when a customer'...
Short on Cash?
Buy a Home Here
May 23, 2023 1:40 PM CDT
Short on Cash? Buy a Home Here
Head to Montgomery, Alabama, for the most affordable abodes; avoid Santa Barbara, California
- With soaring home prices and interest rates, it may not seem like the best time to plunk down a down payment on a new home. Some US cities, however, make that goal more attainable than others, and WalletHub sifted through the data to suss out the top contenders. The site...
School to Reopen
After Students Fall
Ill, 6-Year-Old Dies
May 6, 2023 2:20 PM CDT
School to Reopen After Students Fall Ill, 6-Year-Old Dies
Diagnosis is in for two of the Detroit cases
- An outbreak of flu-like symptoms is being investigated at a Detroit school after dozens of students fell ill and a kindergartner who was sent home died. The Marcus Garvey Academy was shut this week for a deep cleaning, ABC News reports, and is scheduled to reopen Monday. The 6-year-old died...
Man Who Killed
Radio Anchor, Tortured
His Family Gets Life
Apr 21, 2023 3:00 AM CDT
Man Who Killed Radio Anchor, Tortured His Family Gets Life
Jim Matthews' killer pleads no contest
- In a move an assistant prosecutor called "fairly rare," the man who murdered Detroit radio anchor Jim Matthews last year has pleaded no contest to multiple counts including first-degree premeditated murder and will spend the rest of his life behind bars. Arthur Williamson, 55, was friends with Nichole...
Shootout Erupts After Group
Eats a Pizza It Hadn't Ordered
Apr 15, 2023 12:35 PM CDT
Shootout Erupts After Group Eats a Pizza It Hadn't Ordered
Two 14-year-olds are among the wounded when argument turns violent in Detroit
- People in a Detroit house evidently were happy to eat a pizza delivered to them, though they hadn't ordered it. When the rightful orderers came looking for their pizza, an argument, then a gunfight erupted among the neighbors. Possibly 30 shots were fired Thursday night, WJBK reports, leaving five...
Cops Reveal Cause of Death
for Michigan Rappers, Friend
Feb 8, 2023 7:27 AM CST
Cops Reveal Cause of Death for Michigan Rappers, Friend
3 men, whose bodies were found Thursday in Highland Park, were shot to death, police say
- The autopsies are in. Three men who vanished before two of them were set to perform a hip-hop set at a Detroit club last month were shot to death, each with multiple gunshot wounds, reports ClickOnDetroit.com . The frozen bodies of rappers Armani Kelly, 27, and Dante Wicker, 31, along...
Bodies of 3 Missing Michigan
Rappers May Have Been Found
Feb 3, 2023 12:18 AM CST
Bodies of 3 Missing Michigan Rappers May Have Been Found
Aspiring rappers haven't been seen since leaving for a show nearly 2 weeks ago
- The three missing Michigan rappers who vanished just before performing a show may have been found dead. Three bodies were found at a vacant apartment complex in Highland Park on Thursday afternoon, and while police are still investigating, the remains are believed to be those of Armani Kelly, 38, Montoya...
Court Tells Museum to Keep
Disputed van Gogh for Now
Jan 26, 2023 5:50 PM CST
Court Tells Museum to Keep Disputed van Gogh for Now
Brazilian collector says he bought the painting in 2017
- A federal appeals court has ordered a Detroit museum to hold on to an 1888 painting by Vincent van Gogh amid a Brazilian collector's dispute with the museum over ownership of the painting. Wednesday's order from the 6th US Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati comes days after...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.