Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
19 Elementary School Students, 3 Adults Dead in Texas Shooting
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Better Keep His Mouth
Shut,' Says Bolsonaro
May 5, 2022 1:18 AM CDT
Leonardo DiCaprio 'Better Keep His Mouth Shut,' Says Bolsonaro
Brazil president is not happy with actor's attempts to get out the vote
- Leonardo DiCaprio is in a feud, not with another celebrity, but with Brazil President Jair Bolsonaro. Following a series of recent tweets in which DiCaprio urged Brazilians to get out and vote in this October's elections to ensure the Amazon rainforest is protected, Bolsonaro on Tuesday hit back at...
World Record for Slackline Walk
Was 'Total Serendipity Moment'
May 4, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
World Record for Slackline Walk Was 'Total Serendipity Moment'
Rafael Zugno Bridi crossed 59-foot line between 2 hot-air balloons 1.2 miles above Brazil
- Guinness World Records has officially recognized the highest slackline walk, at more than twice the height of the world's tallest building. Brazilian daredevil Rafael Zugno Bridi claimed the record after crossing a 59-foot slackline suspended between two hot-air balloons some 6,236 feet, or nearly 1.2 miles, above...
This Guy Has Spent
84 Years at the (Same) Office
May 3, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
This Guy Has Spent 84 Years at the (Same) Office
Centenarian Walter Orthmann has broken a Guinness World Record
- A man in Brazil has just broken his own Guinness World Record for the longest stint at one company. And after 84 years, Walter Orthmann is still excited to get up and go to the office. He's a 100-year-old sales manager at textile company ReneauxView, which was called Industrias...
Apr 30, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
Bolsonaro Answers DiCaprio Sarcastically
Actor and Amazon activist had appealed to the country's young people to vote
- Leonardo DiCaprio took his environmental worries directly to the young voters of Brazil this week, drawing a sarcastic response from the nation's president. "Brazil is home to the Amazon and other ecosystems critical to climate change," the actor tweeted Thursday, the BBC reports. "What happens there...
Protect You From COVID
Mar 31, 2022 6:47 AM CDT
Ivermectin Won't Protect You From COVID
Double-blind, randomized trial found it did not reduce hospitalizations even if taken early
- Treating COVID-19 patients with ivermectin did not alleviate the illness or reduce hospitalizations, according to a major double-blind, randomized clinical trial published Wednesday, which effectively rules out the anti-parasitic drug as a treatment. "There's really no sign of any benefit," Dr. David Boulware, an infectious-disease expert at...
He Was Chopping Down Trees.
He Heard Weak Cries for Help
Mar 18, 2022 6:21 AM CDT
He Was Chopping Down Trees. He Heard Weak Cries for Help
2 young brothers, ages 6 and 8, who'd been missing for nearly 4 weeks found in Amazon rainforest
- For almost a month, locals in Brazil's Amazonas state desperately scoured the rainforest in search of two young Indigenous brothers who'd vanished while trying to capture tiny birds. This week, a miracle: The BBC reports that a man from the village of Palmeira stumbled upon little Gleison Ferreira,...
Navy Nuke Engineer Turned Spy
Tried to Sell Secrets to Brazil
Mar 16, 2022 1:00 AM CDT
Navy Nuke Engineer Turned Spy Tried to Sell Secrets to Brazil
It had not before been revealed where he and his wife tried to sell secrets
- The US naval engineer and his wife who tried to sell US nuclear secrets approached Brazil with the offer, according to a senior Brazilian official and other people briefed on the probe who spoke to the
New York Times
. Federal prosecutors and other US government officials had kept the nation'...
With Google's Advice, Boy, 9,
Slips Onto Cross-Country Flight
Mar 5, 2022 4:55 PM CST
With Google's Advice, Boy, 9, Slips Onto Cross-Country Flight
Young sneak was returned safely after 1,677-mile trip in Brazil
- Assuming his parents would be no help, a 9-year-old boy in Brazil turned to Google and searched for "how to get onto a plane unnoticed." Then he did it, winding up 1,677 miles from his hometown of Manaus after a flight to Guarulhos, the
12 Hours a Day as a Maid,
Then Victories in Chess
Feb 26, 2022 4:25 PM CST
12 Hours a Day as a Maid, Then Victories in Chess
'Wall Street Journal' profiles Cibele Florencio of Brazil
- One of the rising young stars in chess has a story that sounds right out of Hollywood, or at least a series streaming on Netflix. The
Wall Street Journal
explores the ascent of Cibele Florencio, a single mom who works as a maid in a poor part of Brazil. Last...
117 Dead in Mudslides,
116 Still Unaccounted For
Feb 17, 2022 8:23 PM CST
117 Dead in Mudslides, 116 Still Unaccounted For
Tragedy in Brazil also leaves hundreds homeless
- The death toll from floods and landslides that swept down on the mountain city of Petropolis rose to at least 117 on Thursday and local officials said it could still rise sharply, with 116 more still unaccounted for. The Rio de Janeiro state government confirmed the rising loss of life,...
Feb 12, 2022 1:10 PM CST
Amazon Deforestation Sets Record
Brazil's government promised to do better, but polices remain, experts say
- "There is a race to deforest the Amazon," said a researcher at Brazil's Federal University of Minas Gerais. It's becoming clearer that the Amazon is the loser. Trees in the Brazilian Amazon were cut down in an area five times the size of the deforested land...
Beating Death of Refugee
Feb 5, 2022 1:10 PM CST
Protesters Denounce Beating Death of Refugee
24-year-old's family had moved to Brazil to escape fighting in Congo
- Demonstrators gathered on Saturday in Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, and other Brazilian cities to protest the killing of a 24-year-old Congolese refugee who was beaten to death on Jan. 24. The killing sparked outrage and revulsion across the nation, the AP reports. In Rio, they gathered outside the beach...
10 Boaters Killed by
Falling Wall of Rock
Jan 10, 2022 12:01 AM CST
10 Boaters Killed by Falling Wall of Rock
Victims were below a cliff face that sheered off above Brazil's Furnas Lake
The cliff collapse in Brazil killed 10 people, only one of whom had been identified by Sunday afternoon, as 68-year-old retiree Julio Borges Antunes. All victims and survivors have now been accounted for, and two people remain hospitalized, the
New York Times
reports. At least 27 others were treated...
Boss Gets 30 Years
Nov 26, 2021 6:27 AM CST
Brazil's Ex-Olympic Boss Gets 30 Years
Former Rio governor among others sentenced to jail for corruption
- Carlos Arthur Nuzman, the head of the Brazilian Olympic Committee for more than two decades, was sentenced to 30 years and 11 months in jail for allegedly buying votes for Rio de Janeiro to host the 2016 Olympics. The ruling by Judge Marcelo Bretas became public Thursday, per the AP...
at Edge of Forest
Nov 15, 2021 7:55 PM CST
Scientists: Expect Next Pandemic at Edge of Forest
Deforestation contributes to favorable conditions for an outbreak
- There will be more pandemics, scientists say. They don't know when the next one will begin, but they have a rough idea of where. Places where humans are moving into untouched habitats, such as the edge of the Amazon rainforest, have all the ingredients of an outbreak, the
Oct 27, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
As Brazil's Senate Pounces, Trump Salutes Bolsonaro
Senate panel votes to recommend charges against the Brazilian president
- Former President Trump is on Jair Bolsonaro's side, but the Brazilian president can't say the same about his Senate. A panel of senators on Tuesday voted 7-4 to recommend charges over Bolsonaro's handling of the COVID-19 pandemic, following a six-month investigation that culminated in a 1,288-page...
Brazil Senators Say
300K COVID Deaths
Oct 19, 2021 6:50 PM CDT
Brazil Senators Say 300K COVID Deaths Were Homicides
Panel recommends charges against Bolsonaro
- The pandemic has killed at least 603,000 people in Brazil, more than in any country except the US—and a panel of senators is accusing President Jair Bolsonaro of killing half of them. After a six-month investigation, the panel plans to recommend charges of mass homicide and genocide of...
An Entire City Is
Oct 11, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
An Entire City Is Getting Vaccinated
That would be Toledo, Brazil, where all eligible residents will receive Pfizer vaccine as part of study
- Brazil is only the second country worldwide to surpass 600,000 COVID deaths , behind the United States with 713,000, but one city in the South American nation is about to push back on the virus in a big way. Pfizer says it will be teaming up with health officials...
Soccer Player Arrested
for Brutal Attack on Ref
Oct 7, 2021 8:47 AM CDT
Soccer Player Arrested for Brutal Attack on Ref
William Ribeiro kicked ref in head after getting yellow card during match in Brazil
- A soccer player in Brazil is going to be punished with a lot more than a red card for a brutal attack on a referee. Sport Club Sao Paolo player William Ribeiro is facing a charge of attempted murder over the incident in a Monday night game against Guarani-RS, CNN...
Find Huge Stash
of Nazi Items
Oct 7, 2021 5:01 AM CDT
Cops Arrest Suspected Pedophile, Find Huge Stash of Nazi Items
'I'm no doctor, but he seems to me an insane psychopath'
- A man arrested in Brazil this week appeared to have two main interests, police say: Sexually abusing children and collecting Nazi memorabilia. Police say that when they went to the suspect's condo in Rio de Janiero Tuesday to arrest him on suspicion of raping a minor, they found a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman Accuses Pastor in Front of His Church
One Fell Off the Cliff. The Other 3 Followed
Officials Determine What Killed US Tourists at Bahamas Resort
We Haven't Seen This on the Birth Front for 7 Years
19 Elementary School Students, 3 Adults Dead in Texas Shooting
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.