Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
After Cops Harass Woman,
a Topless Protest in Montreal
Jun 20, 2022 8:18 AM CDT
After Cops Harass Woman, a Topless Protest in Montreal
Protesters want to change 'way people view women's breasts' in 'protest about gender equality'
- As Americans celebrated Memorial Day weekend, Eloyse Paquet Poisson was enjoying a sunny day in a Quebec City park, smoking a cigarette and doing macrame, which sounds like it should have been largely uneventful. Instead, she had an unpleasant encounter with local police and her tale about it went viral,...
Canadian Province to Begin
Vaccinations for Monkeypox
May 26, 2022 4:47 PM CDT
Canadian Province to Begin Vaccinations for Monkeypox
Smallpox doses to be given to high-risk people
- People in the Montreal area at high risk of contracting monkeypox will be given the smallpox vaccine, Quebec health officials announced Thursday. The province has 25 confirmed cases of monkeypox, all connected to the Montreal region, CBC reports. Another 20 to 30 potential cases are being investigated. "We aren'...
Plane Went Up With
a Marriage Proposal,
Came Crashing Down
Oct 5, 2021 11:29 AM CDT
Plane Went Up With a Marriage Proposal, Came Crashing Down
1 dead in Montreal accident
- A particularly wrenching detail has emerged in the story of a small plane crash on Saturday in Montreal. The
reports the plane that went down around 6pm was towing a "Will you marry me?" banner. It had taken off just 15 minutes prior. Pilot Gian Piero Ciambella,...
He Was Forced to Leave
the Shelter. Then, Tragedy
Jan 20, 2021 10:15 AM CST
He Was Forced to Leave the Shelter. Then, Tragedy
Raphael Andre, who was homeless, died in port-a-potty steps from shelter on cold Montreal night
- A homeless man's tragic death in Canada is shining a spotlight on the far-reaching consequences of the coronavirus pandemic. Montreal police say an Indigenous Innu man died overnight Saturday on a cold street just steps away from a shelter that was forced to close for the night, partly due...
Canada's First PM
Hits the Ground Hard
Aug 30, 2020 12:10 PM CDT
Canada's First PM Hits the Ground Hard
Statue of Sir John A. Macdonald takes a tumble in Montreal
- Marchers in Montreal toppled a statue of Canada's first prime minister Saturday and sent his head flying, the
reports. The event began peacefully with about 200 activists walking through downtown in support of changes to police funding—but when they reached Place du Canada, a large urban...
Prophetic Book Saw
All of This Coming
Apr 15, 2020 3:35 PM CDT
Prophetic Book Saw All of This Coming
Saleema Nawaz's 'Songs for the End of the World' just came out as an e-book
- Face masks, hoarding, social distancing—it all happened before … in Saleema Nawaz's mind. The Montreal author devoted six years of her life to a novel that looks a lot like our life with the coronavirus, the
Globe & Mail
reports. If this sounds exaggerated, consider that
He Saw the Speeding Car. He
Knew His SUV Could Stop It
in case you missed it
Nov 17, 2019 10:15 AM CST
He Saw the Speeding Car. He Knew His SUV Could Stop It
Erick Marciano hailed as a hero for saving pedestrians during police chase in Montreal
- A quick-thinking dad of three is being called a hero after throwing his Mercedes SUV in the path of a speeding car. The CBC and
report Erick Marciano, 48, was on his way to a meeting Tuesday shortly after noon when he saw a Honda speed through a...
She Opened a Book,
Became $750K Richer
Apr 5, 2019 7:21 AM CDT
She Opened a Book, Became $750K Richer
Montreal couple claims lottery prize with 2 days to deadline
- With just 48 hours left to claim their prize, Nicole Pedneault and Roger Larocque found a winning lottery ticket buried in a book. The Montreal couple wasted no time and are now $750,000 richer, reports CTV News . They'd bought the Loto-Quebec ticket last year for Valentine's Day...
Priest Stabbed as Mass
Was Being Live-Streamed
Mar 22, 2019 4:02 PM CDT
Priest Stabbed as Mass Was Being Live-Streamed
Incident happened at Canada's largest church, and Father Claude Grou is OK
- Those watching the livestream of morning mass at Canada's largest church on Friday saw a jarring scene: Police say an assailant went to the altar of Saint Joseph's Oratory in Montreal and stabbed the 77-year-old Catholic priest, Father Claude Grou, reports NBC News . Churchgoers then interrupted the assault,...
on Missing Pet:
'Why Did You
Mail My Cat?'
Dec 17, 2018 8:39 AM CST
Kid's Query on Missing Pet: 'Why Did You Mail My Cat?'
No worries, Baloo is back home safe after accidentally being shipped to Montreal in a box
- For four days, Baloo was missing from her family's Nova Scotia home. The feline is now back, but not before she took a 1,500-mile round trip, half of it in a box. Jacqueline Lake tells the CBC that when her family's tabby cat first vanished, she suspected...
Guy Cleans Out His Wardrobe,
Finds He's $1.32M Richer
Oct 6, 2018 5:00 PM CDT
Guy Cleans Out His Wardrobe, Finds He's $1.32M Richer
Gregorio De Santis says his heart nearly stopped when he realized its value
- A Montreal man has his sister to thank for his sudden windfall—the equivalent of $1.32 million, the CBC reports. Urged by his sister to finally clean out his wardrobe, Gregorio De Santis found a Lotto 6/49 ticket dated Dec. 6, 2017 in an old jacket and took it...
Lady Gaga: I Spoke Too
Soon on 'Zombie Boy' Death
Aug 6, 2018 12:33 AM CDT
Lady Gaga: I Spoke Too Soon on 'Zombie Boy' Death
She didn't mean to draw 'unjust conclusion'
- Lady Gaga, who paid a heartfelt tribute to her friend Rick "Zombie Boy" Genest after his death last week, has apologized for possibly speaking too soon about the manner of his death, the BBC reports. The 32-year-old fell to his death from a third-floor balcony in Montreal in what...
Death May Not
Aug 4, 2018 6:30 AM CDT
'Zombie Boy' Death May Not Have Been a Suicide
Family thinks Rick Genest leaned too far back on a balcony while smoking a cigarette
- His death Wednesday was widely reported to be a suicide , including by Lady Gaga , whose music video "Born This Way" helped make his tattooed face famous. But the family and manager of model Rick Genest, aka "Zombie Boy," are telling everyone to pull back on the conclusion...
Stolen in Canada:
20K Cases of Beer
Apr 6, 2018 11:09 AM CDT
Stolen in Canada: 20K Cases of Beer
That's $400K worth, counting the stolen pepperoni and dried beef, too
- They have the makings for a great party, but thieves who stole $400,000 in beer and snacks from a Quebec warehouse apparently have other plans. On the night of March 12, Montreal police say "several" thieves broke into the warehouse in the Montreal suburb of Boucherville and disabled...
New Navy Warship Will Be
Stuck in Ice Until Spring
Jan 24, 2018 12:51 AM CST
New Navy Warship Will Be Stuck in Ice Until Spring
It didn't make it past Montreal on journey home
- Unless the plan all along was to send it to invade Canada, a newly commissioned $440 million Navy warship won't be much use this winter. The USS Little Rock, which was commissioned in Buffalo on Dec. 16, has been stuck in Montreal since Christmas Eve because of heavy ice,...
'Incredible' Ice Age
Cave Network Found
Dec 5, 2017 10:37 AM CST
'Incredible' Ice Age Cave Network Found Below Montreal
It stretches the length of 2 football fields
- At the end of the last ice age, glaciers rapidly receded across Canada, putting so much pressure on the land below that solid rock split apart. Perhaps nowhere is that more evident than a newly discovered cave system some 20 feet below Montreal, Quebec. Suspecting that a cave beneath a...
I Was Singing
Oct 23, 2017 12:20 PM CDT
Screaming? No, Officer, I Was Singing
But driver in Montreal still gets a $118 ticket
- A driver in Montreal apparently got a little too carried away while grooving to a favorite song. Now he's going to court to defend his singing voice. When 38-year-old Taoufik Moalla got pulled over, officers asked if he'd been screaming, per the
. No, Moalla replied, he'...
Canadian Bike Cops Nab One
of America's Most Wanted
Aug 29, 2017 10:37 AM CDT
Canadian Bike Cops Nab One of America's Most Wanted
Katay-Khaophone Sychanta may face extradition to US
- Montreal police have just earned a heap of respect for bicycle cops everywhere. Two cycling police officers were patrolling a Montreal bike path last Wednesday when they spotted two men they suspected of having drugs, police say. The suspects took off running and the officers pursued, one eventually jumping off...
Canada Makes Stadium a Home
for Asylum Seekers From US
Aug 3, 2017 6:40 AM CDT
Canada Makes Stadium a Home for Asylum Seekers From US
New arrivals feared Trump would return them to Haiti
- So many asylum seekers are crossing into Canada from the United States that Montreal's Olympic Stadium has been opened to house them. The first groups were bused to the stadium Wednesday. Cots are set up in the windowless, domed facility. The mainly Haitian migrants will stay until they get...
FBI: Flint Airport Attacker
'Has a Hatred for the US'
Jun 22, 2017 4:19 AM CDT
FBI: Flint Airport Attacker 'Has a Hatred for the US'
Canada condemns 'cowardly' attack
- "Suffice to say, he had a hatred of the United States," Detroit FBI chief David Gelios says of Canadian citizen Amor Ftouhi, who is accused of stabbing a police officer in a suspected terrorist attack at Flint, Michigan's airport. Ftouhi, a 49-year-old Montreal resident, has been charged...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.