Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Judge: America 'Would Not
Exist' Without Armed Teens
May 12, 2022 4:01 AM CDT
Judge: America 'Would Not Exist' Without Armed Teens
But ruling on under-21 gun ban was not a total victory for gun rights advocates
- A US appeals court ruled Wednesday that California’s ban on the sale of semiautomatic weapons to adults under 21 is unconstitutional. The 2-1 ruling by a panel of the 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals said Wednesday the law violates the Second Amendment right to bear arms and a...
CDC Report on Gun Homicides
Is a 'Heartbreaking' One
May 11, 2022 8:45 AM CDT
CDC Report on Gun Homicides Is a 'Heartbreaking' One
First year of pandemic saw a 35% rise in firearm murders from the previous year, per new report
- The pandemic has wreaked havoc on a variety of fronts, and gun violence hasn't escaped its path. According to a new report from the CDC, the firearm homicide rate in 2020 reached its highest rate since 1994, increasing nearly 35% from the previous year, reports Axios . "That's...
Sheriff: Dad of
Bought Gun on
Dec 1, 2021 10:29 AM CST
Sheriff: Dad of Oxford Suspect Bought Gun on Black Friday
Official says he wasn't aware of threats of violence before Tuesday's attack at school north of Detroit
- The 15-year-old suspect who fatally shot three students and injured seven others and a teacher at Oxford High School north of Detroit on Tuesday used a gun purchased by his father on Black Friday, according to the local sheriff. The sophomore was in possession of the 9mm Sig Sauer SP2022...
He Admits to a
Dozen Museum Heists,
Gets Day in Jail
Nov 24, 2021 1:35 PM CST
He Admits to a Dozen Museum Heists, Gets Day in Jail
Pennsylvania's Thomas Gavin helped trace stolen firearms after confession
- A Pennsylvania man will spend exactly one day in jail after admitting to stealing historic artifacts from more than a dozen museums in at least four states. Montgomery County's Thomas Gavin busted into museums along the US East Coast in the 1960s and '70s, taking mostly antique firearms,...
Baldwin Has a Solution
for Weapons on Sets
Nov 8, 2021 2:31 PM CST
Baldwin Has a Solution for Weapons on Sets
Actor posted tweet calling for cops to monitor guns
- Alec Baldwin thinks cops are the answer. The actor posted a screenshot of a tweet to his Instagram page that reads, "Every film/TV set that uses guns, fake or otherwise, should have a police officer on set, hired by the production, to specifically monitor weapons safety." Baldwin didn’...
Among First-Time Gun
Buyers, a Gender Shift
Sep 16, 2021 7:15 PM CDT
Among First-Time Gun Buyers, a Gender Shift
Since 2019, roughly half have been women
- Social unrest and the pandemic appear to have achieved what decades of marketing campaigns from gun companies failed to do. A new study has found that almost half of all first-time gun buyers since the start of 2019 are women, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Gun sales soared during the...
Illegal Guns, Fake FBI Badges
Found in Deputy Mayor's Home
Sep 9, 2021 5:01 AM CDT
Illegal Guns, Fake FBI Badges Found in Deputy Mayor's Home
Brian Downey of Airmont, NY, faces more than 30 state, federal charges
- Brian Downey is the deputy mayor of Airmont, NY. He is not, however, an FBI agent, a DEA agent, or a US marshal, and authorities are trying to figure out why he had a stash of fake credentials for those roles. The bogus federal IDs were found along with 17...
Covers Guns in Legos
Jul 14, 2021 8:23 AM CDT
Company's 'Block19' Covers Guns in Legos
Culper Precision's kit is generating plenty of controversy
- A company in Utah is facing backlash after bringing a "childhood [dream] ... to life." That dream, per Culper Precision: a kit that allows handgun aficionados to encase their Glocks in red, yellow, and blue Legos. "We have been building guns out of blocks for the last 30...
AR-15 to Swiss Army
Knife in Assault
Jun 5, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Judge Compares AR-15 to Swiss Army Knife in Assault Weapons Ruling
US District Judge Roger Benitez overturns Calif.'s 30-year-old assault weapons ban
- A federal judge Friday overturned California's three-decade-old ban on assault weapons, ruling that it violates the constitutional right to bear arms. US District Judge Roger Benitez of San Diego ruled that the state's definition of illegal military-style rifles unlawfully deprives law-abiding Californians of weapons commonly allowed in most...
As Judge Reads Verdict,
Convict Kills Himself
May 18, 2021 6:36 AM CDT
As Judge Reads Verdict, Convict Kills Himself
Jeffrey Sahl Ferris slit his throat in Fargo courtroom
- Upon learning that he would face a minimum of seven years in prison, a convicted man stood in federal court and slit his throat from ear to ear with a letter opener while the judge looked on, according to reports. The suicide occurred as a partial guilty verdict was being...
He Taught His Son About Guns.
Then the Boy Shot Himself
Apr 3, 2021 2:25 PM CDT
He Taught His Son About Guns. Then the Boy Shot Himself
An 11-year-old's death, and the subject of safe storage legislation
- The night on which 11-year-old Tyler Paxton died in 2014 began in an unremarkable way. He had Taco Bell for dinner and watched YouTube videos, sharing one involving an otter with his mom. He told his parents he was going to watch cartoons in their room. Then came the gunshot....
Man With 5 Guns, Body Armor
Arrested at Grocery Store
Mar 25, 2021 6:51 AM CDT
Man With 5 Guns, Body Armor Arrested at Grocery Store
Atlanta cops say suspect's intentions are unclear
- An alert customer at an Atlanta grocery store may have helped stop a copycat mass shooting two days after the Boulder shooting. Police say a man was arrested after walking into a Publix supermarket Wednesday afternoon with at least five guns and body armor, the
reports. Instacart shopper...
Over Bullet's Path
in case you missed it
Dec 20, 2020 1:21 PM CST
Hunter Charged Over Bullet's Path
Minnesota's William Desmet charged with recklessly discharging a firearm
- A Minnesota man's reckless shot while deer hunting could earn him prison time. William Desmet, 40, was hunting on property in central South Dakota with his uncle and another person on Nov. 14 when he allegedly shot through a shed and into a homeowner's bedroom, per the
2020 Has Seen a Slew
of Gun-Related Records
Nov 3, 2020 1:16 PM CST
2020 Has Seen a Slew of Gun-Related Records
FBI has run more background checks in 2020 than in any other year
- As the election neared and the pandemic remained, Americans moved to buy—or stockpile—firearms in record numbers. The FBI conducted more than 1.7 million background checks for gun purchases last month, and Small Arms Analytics and Forecasting estimated that guns sales jumped 65% from October 2019, to 1....
Oct 30, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
Walmart Puts Guns Back on Display
Walmart backtracks on earlier decision, saying civil unrest is isolated
- Walmart has reversed its decision to remove firearms and ammunition from store displays. The company had said Thursday that the change was prompted by civil unrest . "As the current incidents have remained geographically isolated, we have made the decision to begin returning these products to the sales floor today,...
Citing Unrest, Chain Takes
Firearms Off Display
Oct 29, 2020 7:05 PM CDT
Citing Unrest, Chain Takes Firearms Off Display
Walmart will still sell guns and ammunition
- Walmart says it has removed ammunition and firearms from displays at its US stores, citing "civil unrest" in some areas.The nation's largest retailer, based in Bentonville, Arkansas, sells firearms in about half of its 4,700 stores, the AP reports. "We have seen some isolated civil...
Tipster: Militia Members Went
to Kenosha to 'Pick People Off'
Sep 5, 2020 8:00 AM CDT
Tipster: Militia Members Went to Kenosha to 'Pick People Off'
FBI arrests Missouri men Michael Karmo, Cody Smith, finds stash of weapons and ammo
- Out-of-staters converging on Kenosha, Wis., to confront protesters has already resulted in one death, at the hands of Kyle Rittenhouse , an armed 17-year-old from Illinois who considered himself to be protecting the city. Now, two men from Missouri with ties to a militia are in custody on weapons charges after...
NY Jets Player Arrested
With Gun at Airport
Mar 6, 2020 4:26 AM CST
NY Jets Player Arrested With Gun at Airport
Quinnen Williams didn't have NY permit for pistol
- New York Jets defensive lineman Quinnen Williams was arrested for criminal possession of a weapon Thursday night when he attempted to board a plane, police said in a statement. New York/New Jersey Port Authority Police said Williams, the team's first-round draft pick last season, was arrested at LaGuardia Airport...
TSA Confiscated a Record
Number of Guns Last Year
Jan 21, 2020 6:58 PM CST
TSA Confiscated a Record Number of Guns Last Year
But what does it really mean?
- TSA found 4,432 firearms in passengers' carry-on baggage last year—its highest number ever. As Fox News points out, that's a dozen firearms per day, and 87% of those firearms were loaded. Thirty-four percent of them actually had rounds in the chamber. The total number confiscated is a...
Sheriff Says Teen Used
'Ghost Gun' in School Shooting
Nov 22, 2019 6:30 AM CST
Sheriff Says Teen Used 'Ghost Gun' in School Shooting
California teen's father had guns confiscated
- The weapon used in last week's school shooting in California was an unregistered "ghost gun" assembled from a kit, authorities say. While it's not clear who assembled it, police say the parts can be bought online or at gun shows without a background check and instructions can...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Dubya Makes 'Freudian Slip of the Century'
Planned Fix for Sinking Tower Hits Big Snag
'Payton, You're a Coward!'
Terrified Buffalo Store Worker Called 911. She Says Dispatcher Hung Up
Man Marks 50 Years of Eating Big Macs Daily
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.