Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Oct 30, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
Walmart Puts Guns Back on Display
Walmart backtracks on earlier decision, saying civil unrest is isolated
- Walmart has reversed its decision to remove firearms and ammunition from store displays. The company had said Thursday that the change was prompted by civil unrest . "As the current incidents have remained geographically isolated, we have made the decision to begin returning these products to the sales floor today,...
Citing Unrest, Chain Takes
Firearms Off Display
Oct 29, 2020 7:05 PM CDT
Citing Unrest, Chain Takes Firearms Off Display
Walmart will still sell guns and ammunition
- Walmart says it has removed ammunition and firearms from displays at its US stores, citing "civil unrest" in some areas.The nation's largest retailer, based in Bentonville, Arkansas, sells firearms in about half of its 4,700 stores, the AP reports. "We have seen some isolated civil...
Tipster: Militia Members Went
to Kenosha to 'Pick People Off'
Sep 5, 2020 8:00 AM CDT
Tipster: Militia Members Went to Kenosha to 'Pick People Off'
FBI arrests Missouri men Michael Karmo, Cody Smith, finds stash of weapons and ammo
- Out-of-staters converging on Kenosha, Wis., to confront protesters has already resulted in one death, at the hands of Kyle Rittenhouse , an armed 17-year-old from Illinois who considered himself to be protecting the city. Now, two men from Missouri with ties to a militia are in custody on weapons charges after...
NY Jets Player Arrested
With Gun at Airport
Mar 6, 2020 4:26 AM CST
NY Jets Player Arrested With Gun at Airport
Quinnen Williams didn't have NY permit for pistol
- New York Jets defensive lineman Quinnen Williams was arrested for criminal possession of a weapon Thursday night when he attempted to board a plane, police said in a statement. New York/New Jersey Port Authority Police said Williams, the team's first-round draft pick last season, was arrested at LaGuardia Airport...
TSA Confiscated a Record
Number of Guns Last Year
Jan 21, 2020 6:58 PM CST
TSA Confiscated a Record Number of Guns Last Year
But what does it really mean?
- TSA found 4,432 firearms in passengers' carry-on baggage last year—its highest number ever. As Fox News points out, that's a dozen firearms per day, and 87% of those firearms were loaded. Thirty-four percent of them actually had rounds in the chamber. The total number confiscated is a...
Sheriff Says Teen Used
'Ghost Gun' in School Shooting
Nov 22, 2019 6:30 AM CST
Sheriff Says Teen Used 'Ghost Gun' in School Shooting
California teen's father had guns confiscated
- The weapon used in last week's school shooting in California was an unregistered "ghost gun" assembled from a kit, authorities say. While it's not clear who assembled it, police say the parts can be bought online or at gun shows without a background check and instructions can...
Dick's Sporting Goods Turned
Assault Rifles Into Scrap Metal
Oct 8, 2019 2:23 AM CDT
Dick's Sporting Goods Turned Assault Rifles Into Scrap Metal
Chain halted sales after Florida school shooting
- Dick's Sporting Goods stopped selling assault-style rifles after the school shooting in Parkland, Fla.—and the chain didn't try to offload its unsold inventory to other retailers. CEO Ed Stack revealed in a CBS interview Sunday that the chain turned the $5 million worth of assault rifles...
Colt Suspends Production
of AR-15 Rifles for Civilians
Sep 20, 2019 1:52 AM CDT
Colt Suspends Production of AR-15 Rifles for Civilians
Market is already saturated, company says
- Gun-maker Colt is suspending its production of rifles for the civilian market including the popular AR-15, the company said Thursday in a shift it attributed to changes in consumer demand and a market already saturated with similar weapons. The company said it will focus instead on fulfilling contracts with military...
Kroger Makes a
Big Change on Guns
Sep 4, 2019 10:24 AM CDT
Kroger Makes a Big Change on Guns
Grocery chain doesn't want customers openly carrying in its stores anymore
- On the same day Walmart made its big change regarding guns , Kroger made its own move: The grocery store chain no longer wants to be a place where "open carry" is OK. "Kroger is respectfully asking that customers no longer openly carry firearms into our stores, other than...
Terrified Woman Arrested
After Taking Husband's Guns
Jun 23, 2019 1:35 PM CDT
Terrified Woman Arrested After Taking Husband's Guns
Courtney Irby tried to turn them in to police
- A Florida woman who apparently feared for her life was arrested last weekend after turning in her husband's handguns, WFTV reports. Courtney Irby, 32, took her husband Joseph's weapons to Lakeland police on June 15, telling officers that Joseph had been arrested the day before "for trying...
Has Murky Ties
to Gun-Filled Mansion
May 10, 2019 7:54 AM CDT
Getty Family Has Murky Ties to Gun-Filled Mansion
It took law enforcement 12 hours to pull all the guns out of the home
- An estate located near the Playboy Mansion remains the focal point for a Southern California mystery, complete with a posh address, a chaotic interior, and a link to the Getty family. It was also what authorities are calling a "hoarder's paradise." The home that authorities raided Wednesday...
Huge Cache of Guns Seized
in One of LA's Ritziest Areas
May 9, 2019 6:41 AM CDT
Huge Cache of Guns Seized in One of LA's Ritziest Areas
More than 1K firearms found in Holmby Hills mansion
- LAPD officers and ATF agents seized enough guns to equip a small nation's military after raiding a home in one of Los Angeles' ritziest neighborhoods early Wednesday. LAPD spokesman Mike Lopez says a man was arrested after the raid in Holmby Hills, which took place after officials received a...
A Dick's Nix: No More Hunting
Rifles, Ammo at 125 Stores
Mar 13, 2019 6:34 AM CDT
A Dick's Nix: No More Hunting Rifles, Ammo at 125 Stores
Retailer says the hunting gear hasn't been selling well at those locations
- Dick's Sporting Goods Inc. said on Tuesday it will stop selling hunting rifles and ammunition at more than 100 of its stores, replacing the gear with merchandise it believes will sell better at those locations, per the AP . CEO Edward Stack said the move comes after the sporting goods...
His Dog Shot Him.
From the Court
Feb 21, 2019 12:34 PM CST
His Dog Shot Him. Now, Consequences From the Court
For him and his firearms license, not the dog
- A German court has ruled that a dog owner isn't fit to carry a firearms license after his dog shot him with a rifle. The Munich administrative court dismissed the man's appeal against an earlier decision by Bavarian authorities to withdraw his license to own a rifle, as...
Man to Wary
Waitress: 'Do You
Know Where the
Nearest Church Is?'
Dec 31, 2018 9:47 AM CST
Man to Wary Waitress: 'Do You Know Where the Nearest Church Is?'
Cops say an armed Tony Albert was on his way to 'fulfill a prophecy' in Texas
- A phone call from alert restaurant staff in Seguin, Texas, may have prevented a horrific crime at a local church by a man who cops say was headed to "fulfill a prophecy." The
reports that 33-year-old Tony Albert was arrested Sunday morning on the street by...
A Stolen AK-47, Then: 'She
Was Screaming in Pain'
Dec 6, 2018 1:41 PM CST
A Stolen AK-47, Then: 'She Was Screaming in Pain'
Texas teen was trying to shove gun down her pants, cops say
- A teen was hospitalized, then charged after she ended up shooting herself in the foot with a stolen firearm, Texas police say. Cops say they responded to a shooting call in Harris County and found two females, 17, and a 16-year-old male at the scene, per ABC News . A Facebook...
Check Out Gang Members'
New Weapon: the 'Ghost Gun'
Jul 7, 2018 11:30 AM CDT
Check Out Gang Members' New Weapon: the 'Ghost Gun'
Buyers purchase an 'unfinished receiver' and do the rest themselves
- Dozens of firearms lay spread out on tables at the LAPD's Hollywood station this week—all seized in a six-month undercover sting against LA-area gangs, the
reports. What's unusual is that they're all "ghost guns," partly homemade weapons without serial numbers traceable by...
Videos Released of
Fatal YouTube Stunt
Jun 24, 2018 10:10 AM CDT
Videos Released of Fatal YouTube Stunt
Minnesota teen begged her boyfriend not to do it
- A Minnesota teen wept and begged her boyfriend to abandon a YouTube stunt, but he wouldn't cave—and a little while later he was dead. Authorities have released transcripts , evidence , and videos showing Pedro Ruiz, 22, as he directs girlfriend Monalisa Perez to fire a .50 caliber handgun through...
White House Plan: 'Rigorous'
Gun Training for Teachers
Mar 12, 2018 6:11 AM CDT
White House Plan: 'Rigorous' Gun Training for Teachers
Proposals are too NRA-friendly, critics say
- The new White House plan to prevent school shootings doubles down on arming teachers but backs away from gun control measures. The new Justice Department program announced Sunday includes help for states to provide "rigorous firearms training" to teachers and support for military veterans and retired cops who want...
Black Friday Broke
Nov 27, 2017 1:03 AM CST
Black Friday Broke Background-Check Record
The previous record was set last year
- On Black Friday this year, American shoppers may have bought record numbers of a perennial favorite: guns. The FBI says it had 203,086 requests for background checks on Friday, smashing the previous single-day record of 185,713, which was set on Black Friday last year,
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
This Might Be the Biggest Data Breach in History
For US Savings Accounts, Another Shift Is Unfolding
After Parade Shooting, 2 Jarring Comparisons
The City of Orlando's July 4 Message Didn't Land Well
Police: Parade Shooting Was Planned Weeks in Advance
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.