Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
COVID Patient Wakes on Day
Family Was to Pull the Plug
Nov 18, 2021 5:35 PM CST
COVID Patient Wakes on Day Family Was to Pull the Plug
Bettina Lerman, 69, has a long road of recovery ahead
- Doctors were certain Bettina Lerman would not wake after more than a month on a ventilator battling COVID-19 at a hospital in Portland, Maine. So her family flew to Lerman's home in Florida, canceled her lease, got rid of many of her possessions, and began planning a funeral, reports...
After 39 Years in a Coma,
Soccer Player Is Dead
Sep 7, 2021 1:25 AM CDT
After 39 Years in a Coma, Soccer Player Is Dead
Jean-Pierre Adams suffered brain damage during routine knee operation
- The former French soccer player whose coma was the longest of any man in history has died at the age of 73, 39 years after falling into a coma during a knee operation gone wrong. Jean-Pierre Adams played for teams including Paris Saint-Germain and Nice before the botched procedure in...
From 10-Month Coma
Jun 10, 2021 11:05 AM CDT
Woman Wakes From 10-Month Coma
Italy's Cristina Rosi gave birth after suffering a heart attack last year
- An Italian mother who gave birth to a baby girl the better part of a year ago can finally meet her daughter. The BBC reports that 37-year-old Cristina Rosi has woken from a 10-month coma and spoken her first word: "Mama." The outlet collects reports from Italian media...
Girl in Coma After Crash
Involving Chiefs Coach Wakes
Feb 16, 2021 9:20 AM CST
Girl in Coma After Crash Involving Chiefs Coach Wakes
But Kansas City Chiefs assistant coach may still be out of a job
- A 5-year-old girl who suffered life-threatening injuries in a crash with a Kansas City Chiefs coach earlier this month is out of a coma. Ariel Young awoke Monday, 11 days after Britt Reid struck her family's vehicle on a highway on-ramp near the team practice facility in Kansas City,...
In a Coma Since Accident, Teen
Doesn't Know About Pandemic
Feb 4, 2021 5:20 PM CST
In a Coma Since Accident, Teen Doesn't Know About Pandemic
Family isn't sure how to tell what's happened since last March
- A teenager in the UK has had the coronavirus twice but doesn't know it. Joseph Flavill has been in a coma since he was hit by a car March 1 while walking in the town of Burton upon Trent, suffering a traumatic brain injury. That was three weeks before...
It Was a 'Miracle' Birth. The
Mother Knew Nothing of It
Nov 19, 2020 11:10 AM CST
It Was a 'Miracle' Birth. The Mother Knew Nothing of It
Perpetual Uke praises medical science for delivery of twins while in coma
- Perpetual Uke was 26 weeks pregnant when her twins were delivered by cesarean section at a hospital in Birmingham, England. She didn't meet them for a month. Diagnosed with COVID-19, the rheumatology consultant had been taken to the hospital, placed on a ventilator in the ICU, and then put...
'What Is Going On'
With Kim Jong Un?
Aug 26, 2020 11:51 AM CDT
'What Is Going On' With Kim Jong Un?
He was said once again to be incapacitated—then supposedly showed up smoking a cigarette
- There's a lot going on in the world right now, but Bloomberg has just come out and asked the question we've all had simmering in the back of our minds for some time: "What's going on with Kim Jong Un?" In April, the North Korean leader...
Critically Ill Navalny Gets OK to
Be Flown From Russia to Berlin
Aug 21, 2020 1:45 PM CDT
Critically Ill Navalny Gets OK to Be Flown From Russia to Berlin
Russian doctors at first refused family's request to let him be transported, saying he was too sick
- Alexei Navalny is headed to Germany. The family of the 44-year-old Russian opposition leader— in a coma and on a ventilator in a hospital's intensive care unit in Omsk after what allies suspect was a poisoning on Thursday—had wanted Navalny to be transferred to a clinic in Berlin,...
Woman Wakes From
Coma After Volcano,
Gets Tragic News
Feb 12, 2020 6:40 AM CST
Woman Wakes From Coma After Volcano, Gets Tragic News
Severely burned Lisa Dallow finds out husband, 15-year-old daughter died in NZ disaster
- Bittersweet news out of Australia, where a woman severely burned in the eruption of the White Island volcano in New Zealand finally awoke from her coma—only to find out her family had died in the disaster. A rep for the family tells the Australian Broadcasting Corporation that 48-year-old engineer...
Family:Things Look 'Dire' for
Victim of Anti-Semitic Attack
Jan 2, 2020 7:02 AM CST
Family:Things Look 'Dire' for Victim of Anti-Semitic Attack
Relatives of 71-year-old Josef Neumann say he likely won't recover after Hanukkah stabbing
- Just one of five Jewish people stabbed at a Hanukkah celebration in upstate New York is still hospitalized, but his family says his condition is "dire" and it doesn't look like he'll recover. "Doctors are not optimistic about his chances to regain consciousness" says a statement...
Woman in Coma After
Using Face Cream
Sep 12, 2019 10:45 AM CDT
Woman in Coma After Using Face Cream
Sacramento woman bought skin-lightening cream in Mexico tainted with mercury
- A 47-year-old woman from Sacramento, Calif., stumbled into the ER earlier this summer, slurring her speech and complaining of numbness in her face and hands. Soon after, she slipped into a semi-comatose state, which she's now been in for weeks, and health officials say they've traced the cause...
No Man Has Been in a Coma
Longer Than Him
Jul 8, 2019 6:28 PM CDT
No Man Has Been in a Coma Longer Than Him
Former soccer star just reached the 37-year mark
- Jean-Pierre Adams went to the hospital in July 1982 for what should have been routine surgery on his knee. He's been asleep ever since.
reports that on July 7, the former French soccer star's coma became the third-longest in history. Women have the longest two, giving Adams...
Is in a Coma
Apr 25, 2019 3:48 PM CDT
John Singleton Is in a Coma
'Boyz N the Hood' director suffered a stroke earlier this month
- Court papers show that
Boyz N the Hood
director John Singleton is in a coma at a Los Angeles hospital eight days after suffering a major stroke, the AP reports. The 51-year-old director's condition was revealed in a court filing Thursday from his mother, Shelia Ward, who is requesting...
Wakes, Learns It's
the 21st Century
Apr 23, 2019 10:20 AM CDT
Comatose Woman Wakes, Learns It's the 21st Century
Munira Abdulla had been unresponsive since 1991
- Until June 2018, Munira Abdulla had last been conscious when mobile phones were just starting to be widely sold . Had they then been readily available, someone might have been able to call for help. Instead, Abdulla waited for hours for help to arrive after the car she was in collided...
Man Wakes From
Coma, Goes Home
to Celebrate Christmas
Feb 8, 2019 2:09 PM CST
Man Wakes From Coma, Goes Home to Celebrate Christmas
Caine's neighbors, family kept the holiday alive for him while he remained unconscious for 6 weeks
- If you still have your holiday decorations up, you may not have a great excuse. But a famous street in San Diego has a very good one, and it's heartwarming to boot. The residents of Rancho Penasquitos' Ellingham Drive, aka "Christmas Card Lane," are renowned for their...
While in a Coma
May 26, 2018 6:20 AM CDT
Mother Who Gave Birth While in a Coma Has Died
Sharista Giles was four months pregnant when she suffered a traumatic brain injury
- Sharista Giles, a critically injured accident victim who gave birth while in a coma , died this week, her family reported on Facebook. “Sharista Giles gained her wings this morning,” the post said. “She has suffered for 3 1/2 years ... (and now) she can walk, talk, sing, dance,...
Eric Garner's Daughter
in Coma After Heart Attack
Dec 26, 2017 5:33 AM CST
Eric Garner's Daughter in Coma After Heart Attack
27-year-old activist is in grave condition, family says
- Erica Garner, the 27-year-old daughter of Eric Garner , spent Christmas Day fighting for her life after what family members say was an asthma-induced heart attack. The anti-police brutality activist is one of the six children of Garner, who died in 2014 after being placed in a banned chokehold by New...
Boy Partied at Uncle's
Wedding. Then He
Slept for 11 Days
Oct 18, 2017 12:50 PM CDT
Boy Partied at Uncle's Wedding. Then He Slept for 11 Days
Doctors baffled at what caused 7-year-old Wyatt Shaw to sleep for so long
- Wyatt Shaw was living it up at his uncle's wedding. The 7-year-old ring bearer from Kentucky even snagged the bride for a final dance. The next day, when he complained of a headache and an upset stomach, his family figured "he had just had too much cake,"...
Comatose Football Fan
Responds to Mention
Jul 17, 2017 2:22 AM CDT
Comatose Football Fan Responds to Mention of Archrivals
'He always makes a face when we mention Michigan'
- The family of an Ohio man who returned to the US comatose in April after suffering a traumatic brain injury from a car accident in the Republic of Georgia was given little chance of recovering by doctors who said they should be prepared to turn off his feeding tube within...
Doctor Disputes North Korea's
Story About American's Coma
Jun 14, 2017 6:32 AM CDT
Doctor Disputes North Korea's Story About American's Coma
Otto Warmbier landed in US, was rushed to University of Cincinnati Medical Center
- Blue and white ribbons lined the street near Otto Warmbier's family home Tuesday night as the American student freed by North Korea arrived back in Cincinnati. The 22-year-old, who is believed to have been in a coma for more than a year, was rushed to the University of Cincinnati...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Offer From Germany Leaves Mayor in Ukraine 'Speechless'
Mayor's Brother Sees Salary Cut From $210K to $1
'Abandoned Twice' Teen Kills Self After Reunion With Parents
After 24-Hour Treatment, Frogs Started Regrowing Lost Limbs
Gunfire Hits Cori Bush's Car
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.