Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
mergers and acquisitions
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jan 6, 2022 6:20 PM CST
Paying $550M for
Sports site brings 1.2M new owner subscribers
- The Athletic, which has been looking for a buyer for months, has found one. The New York Times announced Thursday that it's reached an agreement to acquire the subscription-based sports media outlet in an all-cash deal worth $550 million, Axios reports. The
said its new subsidiary will operate...
Regulators Might Block
Amazon's MGM Buy
May 26, 2021 2:45 PM CDT
Regulators Might Block Amazon's MGM Buy
Company's size could make acquisition a 'red flag' for antitrust officials
- Amazon announced Wednesday that it has reached an $8.45 billion deal to acquire MGM Studios—but before the online giant can declare itself the owner of the James Bond franchise and the rest of MGM's enormous library, antitrust regulators will need to give the deal the green light....
Amazon Makes Its
May 26, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Amazon Makes Its 2nd-Largest Acquisition
It will buy MGM Studios for $8.45B in deal announced Wednesday
- Amazon has made "its boldest move yet into the entertainment industry" with its planned acquisition of movie and TV giant MGM Studios, per CNBC . The company announced Wednesday that it would buy the studio for $8.45 billion, thereby adding MGM's 4,000 films —including the
AT&T Joins With Discovery
to Create New Media Titan
May 17, 2021 6:57 AM CDT
AT&T Joins With Discovery to Create New Media Titan
New TV, film, and streaming company will compete against Netflix, Disney
- AT&T will combine its massive media operations that include CNN, HBO, TNT, and TBS in a $43 billion deal with Discovery, the owner of lifestyle networks including the Food Network and HGTV. The deal reflects a new reality for the industry: Faced with cord-cutting and incursions by streaming services,...
For 2 Internet Giants of Old,
Another Change of Hands
May 3, 2021 8:38 AM CDT
For 2 Internet Giants of Old, Another Change of Hands
Verizon sells Yahoo and AOL
- AOL and Yahoo are being sold again, this time to a private equity firm. Verizon will sell Verizon Media, which consists of the pioneering tech platforms, to Apollo Global Management in a $5 billion deal, per the AP . Verizon said Monday that it will keep a 10% stake in the...
Casualty of COVID
Nov 2, 2020 10:00 AM CST
Another Corporate Casualty of COVID
Friendly's restaurant chain, known for its ice cream sundaes, has filed for Chapter 11
- Friendly's Restaurants, an East Coast dining chain known for its sundaes, is filing for bankruptcy protection. The company, which runs its restaurants under the parent company FIC Restaurants Inc., will sell substantially all of its assets to the restaurant company Amici Partners Group, per the AP . All 130 of...
They Rule the Roast Beef World.
Now They Want the Doughnuts
Oct 31, 2020 7:30 AM CDT
They Rule the Roast Beef World. Now They Want the Doughnuts
Arby's owner Inspire Brands to bring Dunkin', which owns Baskin-Robbins, private
- Doughnuts and ice cream go with chicken wings and roast beef sandwiches, right? Hopefully so, because Dunkin', which owns Baskin-Robbins, is about to get scooped up by Inspire Brands, the holding company that owns Arby's, Buffalo Wild Wings, Sonic, and other eateries, CNN Business reports. The $11.3 billion...
The Lighting Game Made
GE. Now It Says Goodbye
May 28, 2020 11:05 AM CDT
The Lighting Game Made GE. Now It Says Goodbye
Savant Systems to acquire GE Lighting for a reported $250M
- General Electric has sold its lighting business, which originated with Thomas Edison more than 140 years ago. For some, it's "as if Kellogg had jettisoned its cornflakes business or Ford had stopped making cars," reports the
New York Times
, noting GE floodlights allowed for the first MLB...
Uber Might Swallow GrubHub
May 12, 2020 3:36 PM CDT
Uber Might Swallow GrubHub
Merger would create food-delivery market leader
- Uber might be preparing to swallow GrubHub in a deal that would create a clear market leader in the burgeoning food-delivery business. Sources tell the
Wall Street Journal
that Uber, which is focusing on its Uber Eats unit as ride-sharing slumps, approached GrubHub with a takeover offer earlier this year...
Intuit Drops $7.1B in Stock
and Cash to Buy Credit Karma
Feb 24, 2020 6:47 PM CST
Intuit Drops $7.1B in Stock and Cash to Buy Credit Karma
Companies plan to build 'a personalized financial assistant'
- Credit Karma, which had been planning an initial public offering by now, has agreed to be taken over by Intuit for $7.1 billion in cash and stock. Intuit's products include TurboTax, Quickbooks and Mint. Credit Karma offers free credit scores and free tax filing services, then sells other...
On Wall Street, One of Biggest
Deals Since Financial Crisis
Feb 20, 2020 9:15 AM CST
On Wall Street, One of Biggest Deals Since Financial Crisis
Morgan Stanley will scoop up the online brokerage for $13B
- Investment bank Morgan Stanley announced it would buy the online brokerage E-Trade for roughly $13 billion, one of the biggest deals on Wall Street since the financial crisis. The deal also is the latest chapter in Morgan Stanley's transformation from a scrappy, deal-doing, stock-trading investment bank to a more...
Huge Wireless Merger
Now One Step Closer
Feb 11, 2020 9:40 AM CST
Huge Wireless Merger Now One Step Closer
Judge approves T-Mobile's takeover of Sprint
- A federal judge on Tuesday approved T-Mobile's $26.5 billion takeover of Sprint, rejecting objections from a group of states and removing a major obstacle to a shake-up in the wireless industry. After the deal closes, the number of major US wireless companies would shrink from four to three....
Feds Sue to Block
a Big Shaving Merger
Feb 4, 2020 1:48 AM CST
Feds Sue to Block a Big Shaving Merger
Schick is trying to buy Harry's
- Federal antitrust regulators say a proposed merger that would combine old-school shaving company Schick with upstart Harry's would end up costing consumers some skin. The Federal Trade Commission on Monday sued to block Edgewell Personal Care Co.'s $1.37 billion acquisition of Harry's, which was supposed...
The World Is Getting a
New No. 4 Automaker
Dec 18, 2019 7:28 AM CST
The World Is Getting a New No. 4 Automaker
Via the merger of Fiat Chrysler and Peugeot
- The boards of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and PSA Peugeot on Wednesday signed a binding merger deal creating the world’s fourth-largest automaker with the scale to confront the challenges of stricter emissions regulations and the transition to new driving technologies. The companies said in a joint statement the new group...
Huge Deal in the Works
in World of Online Brokers
Nov 25, 2019 7:03 AM CST
Huge Deal in the Works in World of Online Brokers
Charles Schwab will buy smaller rival TD Ameritrade
- The word "behemoth" is being thrown around a lot Monday to describe a merger in the world of online brokers: Charles Schwab plans to buy TD Ameritrade in a stock deal worth $26 billion, reports Reuters . Just how big would this be? Schwab is already the dominant player in...
Jenner to Sell
Majority Stake in
Nov 19, 2019 7:37 AM CST
Jenner to Sell Majority Stake in Kylie Cosmetics
CoverGirl owner Coty to pay $600M for a 51% share
- The world's youngest self-made billionaire is about to be $600 million richer. The downside is that Kylie Jenner will be without the majority share in her own beauty company. Jenner is expected to sell a 51% stake in Kylie Cosmetics, founded in 2015, to American beauty company Coty, which...
Now, a 'Disruptive
Force in Wireless'
Jul 26, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
DOJ Approves $26.5B Deal. Now, a 'Disruptive Force in Wireless'
T-Mobile greenlit to take over Sprint, while Dish now enters the arena as 4th big wireless company
- US regulators are approving T-Mobile's $26.5 billion takeover of rival Sprint, despite fears of higher prices and job cuts. Friday's approval by the Justice Department and five state attorneys general comes after Sprint and T-Mobile agreed to conditions that would set up satellite-TV provider Dish as a...
New Giant Is Born
in Defense Industry
Jun 10, 2019 10:10 AM CDT
New Giant Is Born in Defense Industry
After merger, Raytheon Technologies will be 2nd to Boeing in aerospace and defense industry
- In the lucrative aerospace and defense industry, the top two companies are Boeing and Lockheed Martin. But assuming a giant new merger goes through, the top rankings will have to be reordered: Boeing ($101 billion in annual revenue) will remain No. 1, Lockheed ($53.7 billion) will fall to No....
A Giant Merger Is Cleared,
Despite DOJ Objections
Feb 26, 2019 11:16 AM CST
A Giant Merger Is Cleared, Despite DOJ Objections
Appeals court blesses AT&T acquisition of Time Warner
- A federal appeals court has cleared AT&T's takeover of Time Warner, rejecting a challenge from the Trump administration, per the AP . The ruling by the US Court of Appeals in Washington came Tuesday in the high-stakes case, approving one of the biggest media marriages ever. The appeals court...
Deal Would Create
6th Largest Bank in US
Feb 7, 2019 10:45 AM CST
Deal Would Create 6th Largest Bank in US
SunTrust and BB&T plan to merge
- Southeastern regional banks BB&T and SunTrust will attempt to join in an all-stock deal, creating a new bank that would be the sixth largest in the US based on assets and deposits. It would have approximately $442 billion in assets, $301 billion in loans, and $324 billion in deposits,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cruise Cancels at Sea, Stranding Passengers
University President Fired For 'Inappropriate Relationship'
Bob Saget Widow Breaks Silence After Star's Death
Transportation CEO Steps In Front of Train to His Death
Trump Mocks Biden in Speech at Arizona Rally
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.