Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Celebs Set Its
Sights on Mariah
Aug 30, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Prosecutors: Gang Targeting Celebs Set Its Sights on Mariah
26 are now facing charges related to the 'Drug Rich' gang
- A violent street gang has been targeting the homes of the wealthy and famous in Atlanta, including pop star Mariah Carey, prosecutors said Monday. They announced a 220-count indictment alleging attempted murders, shootings, kidnappings, home invasions, armed robberies, and carjackings by 26 members of the "Drug Rich" gang, some...
a Year After
Jul 7, 2022 6:15 PM CDT
Haiti in 'Grim' State a Year After President's Murder
Extreme gang violence, broken economy, kids out of school plague Caribbean island after Moise killing
- It's been exactly a year since Haitian President Jovenel Moise was assassinated in his private residence, and the state of things in the Caribbean nation has only gotten worse, with a proliferation of gang violence, a despairing populace, and a "seeming state of lawlessness" in parts. That's...
El Salvador Has
Deadliest Day in 30 Years
Mar 28, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
El Salvador Has Deadliest Day in 30 Years
After 62 murders on Saturday, nation declares a state of emergency
- El Salvador is now under a state of emergency after racking up a staggering 62 murders in a single day on Saturday. The killings are blamed on gangs, particularly MS-13 and Barrio 18, but the victims weren't necessarily gang members: The
New York Times
reports that gunmen were "...
Her Body Was
Found in California
Wilderness in 2001.
Mar 4, 2022 2:05 PM CST
Her Body Was Found in California Wilderness in 2001. Now, Justice
3 MS-13 gang members convicted of murder in death of 13-year-old girl
- Justice was finally served Thursday in the case of a young California teen murdered more than two decades ago by MS-13 gang members. The
Whittier Daily News
reports that Santos Grimaldi, 39, and Melvin Sandoval, 42, were convicted of first-degree murder in the case of 13-year-old Jacqueline Piazza, who was...
Message: Get the Shots
Nov 3, 2021 6:45 PM CDT
Gangs' Tough Message: Get the Shots
Leaders make video to help New Zealand campaign for hard-to-reach communities
- A government minister was talking with leaders of New Zealand's gangs about how to persuade reluctant people to get vaccinated against the coronavirus. The result is a four-minute video in which members of the Head Hunters, Black Power, King Cobras, and Mongrel Mob gangs encourage everyone to receive the...
Harrowing Message Reported
Kidnapping in Haiti
Oct 18, 2021 6:22 AM CDT
Harrowing Message Reported During Americans' Kidnapping in Haiti
'Pray for us!' said WhatsApp message during abduction of 17 missionaries in Haiti
- US officials are working with Haitian authorities to secure the release of 12 adults and five children with a US-based missionary group who were abducted over the weekend by a gang notorious for killings, kidnappings, and extortion. The group was snatched by the 400 Mawozo gang, which controls the Croix-des-Bouquets...
Haiti Gang Kidnaps 17 US
Missionaries, Including Kids
Oct 17, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Haiti Gang Kidnaps 17 US Missionaries, Including Kids
The Christian group was on a bus headed to the airport
- A group of up to 17 US missionaries from a Christian group was kidnapped by a gang in Haiti while en route to the airport in Port-au-Prince. Per the
New York Times
, Haiti officials confirmed the kidnapping, with few details, after Ohio-based Christian Aid Ministries sent a voice message about...
Chicago Mayor Wants to
Fight Gangs by Seizing Assets
Sep 17, 2021 4:58 AM CDT
Chicago Mayor Wants to Fight Gangs by Seizing Assets
Lori Lightfoot wants to 'take away the profit motive'
- Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot says the city is going to fight the gangs "wreaking havoc" in the city by seizing their assets. Under a new ordinance introduced this week, the city's law department would be able to sue gang members and fine them up to $10,000 per...
13-Year-Old Fatally Shot
in Bronx Gang Dispute
Jul 12, 2021 8:48 AM CDT
13-Year-Old Fatally Shot in Bronx Gang Dispute
Police say Jaryan Elliot, who was standing outside a cafe, was the intended target
- Police say a gang dispute resulted in a fatal shooting in the Bronx on Sunday afternoon, with the victim's age causing double-takes. Jaryan Elliot was only 13, reports WABC-TV . NYPD Chief Rodney Harrison tweeted that Jaryan was the "intended target." Police and witnesses say a gunman emerged...
Mexican Politician Killed After
Sharing Location on Facebook
May 27, 2021 7:44 AM CDT
Mexican Politician Killed After Sharing Location on Facebook
Alma Barragan is reportedly the 34th candidate killed ahead of June 6 elections
- A woman campaigning to be mayor of a city in Mexico's Guanajuato state invited voters to meet with her Tuesday, only to be murdered. Alma Barragan, a candidate for the Citizen's Movement party who hoped to lead the city of Moroleon, had posted a Facebook Live video from...
Trump on Report
Sawing Wall: 'It's
Nov 4, 2019 10:35 AM CST
Trump on Report of Smugglers Sawing Wall: 'It's Easily Fixed'
'Virtually impenetrable' wall is apparently no match for a $100 reciprocating saw, per reports
- President Trump has boasted that new sections of border wall are "virtually impossible" to climb—a claim that one engineer recently put to the test , with the results not exactly backing up the president . Now, a new issue has cropped up, with US agents and current and former administration...
High School Student's
Doodle Leads to Deportation
Jan 3, 2019 10:05 AM CST
High School Student's Doodle Leads to Deportation
Alex drew a devil with horns, the school mascot; ICE deemed it gang activity
- Alex attended Huntington High School on Long Island, and he committed three big sins in the eyes of the authorities: He once wore blue sneakers to the school, he wrote "504" on his school bag and on a school calculator, and he doodled a devil with horns on his...
A Gang Targeted the Wrong
House. An 11-Year-Old Is Dead
Nov 3, 2018 8:30 AM CDT
A Gang Targeted the Wrong House. An 11-Year-Old Is Dead
Devastation in Las Vegas: 'No parent should have to deal with a tragedy like this'
- Shooters intent on gang-related retaliation opened fire on the wrong house in suburban Las Vegas, killing an innocent 11-year-old girl in the kitchen, police said Friday. A neighbor on his way to work saw the gunfire late Thursday on a quiet residential street and shot with his legally owned handgun...
Cops Called Him a Runaway.
He Was in the 'Killing Fields'
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 30, 2018 3:00 PM CDT
Cops Called Him a Runaway. He Was in the 'Killing Fields'
ProPublica explores the murder of Miguel Garcia-Moran in Brentwood, NY
- Nearly two months after her 15-year-old brother Miguel Garcia-Moran vanished in Suffolk County, Long Island, his older sister Lady discovered she could access his Facebook account. What she discovered were 84 text and voice messages exchanged with Alexander, a classmate of Miguel's at Brentwood High who pushed him to...
Biker Gang President
Gets Life Plus 10 Years
Sep 27, 2018 2:41 AM CDT
Biker Gang President Gets Life Plus 10 Years
Jeffrey Pike ordered Bandidos to wage war on Cossacks
- The national president of the notorious Bandidos biker gang was sentenced Wednesday to life plus 10 years in prison for directing a violent racketeering and drug trafficking enterprise. Jeffrey Faye Pike of Conroe, Texas, was sentenced in federal court in San Antonio. The 63-year-old leader of the Bandidos Outlaw Motorcycle...
All Cops in a
City Just Got Busted
Sep 26, 2018 8:07 AM CDT
All Cops in a Once-Glam Beach City Just Got Busted
Acapulco's police force was believed to be infiltrated by gangs
- Marines surrounded a facility Tuesday in the Mexican beach town of Acapulco, rounding up hundreds of people and stripping them of "weapons, ballistic vests, cartridges, and communication radios," a spokesman for a joint law enforcement and military task force says, per CNN . Those arrested included Acapulco's entire...
Mom of Teen
by MS-13 Killed
at Memorial Site
Sep 15, 2018 5:30 AM CDT
Mom of Teen Allegedly Murdered by MS-13 Killed at Memorial Site
Evelyn Rodriguez hit by SUV after confrontation on Long Island
- A grieving New York mother recognized by President Trump at the State of the Union in his campaign against MS-13 gang violence was struck by an SUV and killed at her slain daughter's memorial site Friday after a confrontation with the driver. Evelyn Rodriguez was hit around 4pm in...
'Unusually Sophisticated' Credit
Card Fraud Linked to Gangs
Sep 10, 2018 6:30 PM CDT
'Unusually Sophisticated' Credit Card Fraud Linked to Gangs
California investigators have accused some 30 people with stealing over $1 million
- More than 30 purported street gang members have been charged with stealing more than $1 million in what authorities said Monday was an unusually sophisticated credit card fraud scheme. Members and associates of the BullyBoys and the CoCo Boys street gangs based in the suburbs east of San Francisco defrauded...
Gang Puts Big Bounty
on Head of a Dog
Jul 27, 2018 9:25 AM CDT
Gang Puts Big Bounty on Head of a Dog
Drug-sniffing Sombra has been relocated in Colombia because Urabeños clan is after her
- A drug-sniffing Colombian police dog with nearly 250 arrests under her collar recently tracked down more than 10 tons of coke from a major drug gang. The gang's reaction: a bounty on the pooch's head that may be up to $70,000. The
reports that Sombra (Spanish...
Check Out Gang Members'
New Weapon: the 'Ghost Gun'
Jul 7, 2018 11:30 AM CDT
Check Out Gang Members' New Weapon: the 'Ghost Gun'
Buyers purchase an 'unfinished receiver' and do the rest themselves
- Dozens of firearms lay spread out on tables at the LAPD's Hollywood station this week—all seized in a six-month undercover sting against LA-area gangs, the
reports. What's unusual is that they're all "ghost guns," partly homemade weapons without serial numbers traceable by...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Name of MacKenzie Scott's Husband Quietly Disappears
Explosive New Book Reveals Anthony Bourdain's Final Texts
5 High School Football Players Shot After Scrimmage, 1 Fatally
Trump, Kim Jong Un Might Still Be in Touch
US Embassy to Americans in Russia: Get Out Now
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.