Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
12 Climbers Went Up
the Volcano. Then 5 Fell
Sep 6, 2022 12:37 PM CDT
12 Climbers Went Up the Volcano. Then 5 Fell
Only a few survivors were evacuated from Russia's Klyuchevskaya Sopka, Eurasia's tallest volcano
- A dozen climbers went up a Siberian volcano last week, but only a few have come back down. According to the Russian state agency Ria Novosti, the group of 12 began ascending Klyuchevskaya Sopka, Eurasia's tallest volcano, located on the Kamchatka Peninsula in Russia's far northeast, on Aug....
After Putin Ally's Alaska Threat,
Strange Billboards Emerge
Jul 8, 2022 7:41 AM CDT
After Putin Ally's Alaska Threat, Strange Billboards Emerge
'Alaska Is Ours!' signage in Siberia appears after Putin ally suggests taking back territory sold to US
- Sarah Palin may be able to see Russia from her house, but she may soon regret that proximity if one Putin ally and an unnamed "patriot" have their way.
reports that multiple billboards popped up in the Siberian city of Krasnoyarsk on Thursday, all bearing the same message...
They Took a 4-Degree Walk,
Found an Abandoned Baby
Jan 12, 2022 2:09 PM CST
They Took a 4-Degree Walk, Found an Abandoned Baby
A group of teen boys made the discovery
- An abandoned baby likely owes its survival to a group of teens in Siberia who decided to take a walk together on Orthodox Christmas Day. The
reports the group of boys came upon a box along a remote road Friday in temps that got as low as 4 degrees....
52 Miners and Rescuers Die
After Methane Gas Explosion
Nov 25, 2021 4:15 PM CST
52 Miners and Rescuers Die After Methane Gas Explosion
Siberian officials say there's no chance of finding more survivors
This file has been updated throughout with new information about casualties and details of the explosion.
A devastating blast in a Siberian coal mine Thursday left 52 miners and rescuers dead about 820 feet underground, Russian officials said. Hours after a methane gas explosion and fire filled the mine...
Russian Minister Dies
in Lifesaving Attempt
Sep 8, 2021 10:45 AM CDT
Russian Minister Dies in Lifesaving Attempt
Yevgeny Zinichev jumped off cliff to save film director Alexander Melnik; both died
- Russia's emergencies minister died Wednesday during a drill exercise while attempting to save a filmmaker, who also died. Film director Alexander Melnik slipped off a cliff at the Kitabo Oron waterfall in the Putorana nature reserve in northern Siberia, landing in water, the BBC quotes Margarita Simonyan, the head...
Scores of Fires
in Siberia Burn
Aug 11, 2021 4:53 PM CDT
Russia Lets Scores of Fires in Siberia Burn
Blazes surpass combined size of all others worldwide
- Russia is used to damaging wildfires. A Greenpeace study found that 4.7 billion trees in Russia were lost to fire last year, seven times the number planted. And this year is worse. The blazes burning now in Siberia are larger than all other wildfires around the world combined, the...
North Pole Tainted by
Siberian Smoke in Grim First
Aug 9, 2021 1:30 PM CDT
North Pole Tainted by Siberian Smoke in Grim First
Wildfires are consuming millions of acres in the Russian region
- Siberia is on fire and the smoke has reached the Arctic. The region is known for its harsh, cold winters and short, chilly summers, but a recent heat wave and drought have led to massive wildfires, Gizmodo reports. At present, 8.4 million acres are burning in the Sakha region,...
Pictures From a
Planet That's on Fire
Aug 6, 2021 9:29 AM CDT
Pictures From a Planet That's on Fire
Fires are raging from Greece to Siberia to California
- Writing for
, Ciara Nugent doesn't pull any punches: "The World Has Been On Fire For the Past Month," reads her headline. But it's an assertion she backs up with photos from locations scattered across the northern hemisphere, from Greece and Italy to Siberia and our...
Pilot Hailed as Hero
After Crash Landing
Jul 16, 2021 10:52 AM CDT
Pilot Hailed as Hero After Crash Landing in Siberia
Authorities feared the worst after turboprop disappeared from radar in Siberia
- Less than two weeks after the crash of an Antonov An-26 aircraft killed 28 people in Siberia, authorities feared the worst when a similar aircraft disappeared early Friday. It went off the radar soon after departing the town of Kedrovy for a short flight to Tomsk. But helicopters sent to...
What Researchers Just Did
in This Cave Is a Marvel
Jun 25, 2021 10:57 AM CDT
What Researchers Just Did in This Cave Is a Marvel
It's most comprehensive study of ancient DNA extracted from sediment at single site
- As far as caves go, Siberia's Denisova Cave is a super prominent one, the place where scientists confirmed the existence of a species of hominins (we're one, as are Neanderthals) known as the Denisovans. But the prehistoric treasures the cave has given up have been few—just eight...
It's 24K Years Old
Jun 8, 2021 8:09 AM CDT
It's Alive—and It's 24K Years Old
Organism revived after millennia frozen in Siberia
- Bdelloid rotifer, a microscopic multi-celled super-resilient organism, was thought to survive being frozen for as long as 10 years. Turns out that was a slight understatement. Such female-only organisms are alive and well after being frozen in Siberia for 24,000 years, according to new research. The study published Monday...
Man's Best Friend May Have
Accompanied Him to New World
Feb 24, 2021 7:58 AM CST
Man's Best Friend May Have Accompanied Him to New World
Finding is based on oldest known remains of an American dog
- Researchers have stumbled upon the oldest domesticated dog remains found in the Americas, which suggests man's best friend may have accompanied the first humans to the "New World." Mitochondrial DNA from the canine femur fragment found along the southeastern Alaskan coast shows its owner lived about 10,...
Woolly Rhino Found
With Organs Intact
Dec 30, 2020 2:54 PM CST
Woolly Rhino Found With Organs Intact
It's one of the best-preserved Ice Age animals ever found in Siberia
- A well-preserved Ice Age woolly rhino with many of its internal organs still intact has been recovered from permafrost in Russia's extreme north. Russian media reported Wednesday that the carcass was revealed by melting permafrost in Yakutia in August. Scientists are waiting for ice roads in the Arctic region...
Ship Finds Scary Gas
Bubbling From the Deep
Nov 1, 2020 3:00 PM CST
Ship Finds Scary Gas Bubbling From the Deep
A scientific team finds methane off the coast of Siberia
- Those are methane bubbles—and that's not good news. So said a group of international scientists after analyzing the Siberian coast along the Arctic Ocean, the Weather Channel reports. The 60-member team said the bubbles were mostly dissolving in water, but high methane levels at the surface suggest that...
'Jesus of Siberia' Arrested
Sep 23, 2020 1:58 PM CDT
'Jesus of Siberia' Arrested
Self-proclaimed Messiah accused of extortion
- Sergei Torop isn't the Messiah but rather a very naughty man, according to authorities in Siberia. The traffic cop-turned-cult leader , also known as "Vissarion the Teacher" and "Jesus of Siberia," was arrested Tuesday in a special operation involving the military and several Russian law enforcement agencies,...
Melting Permafrost Reveals
Ice Age Bear With Fur Intact
Sep 17, 2020 9:02 AM CDT
Melting Permafrost Reveals Ice Age Bear With Fur Intact
'This is the first and only find of its kind'
- After more than 20,000 years, melting permafrost in Siberia has yielded the amazingly well-preserved body of an Ice Age cave bear. The bear, which still has intact fur and soft tissues including its nose, was found by reindeer hunters on the Bolshoy Lyakhovsky islands in the East Siberian Sea...
'It Was Making Noises.
It Was Like Something Alive'
Sep 9, 2020 11:48 AM CDT
'It Was Making Noises. It Was Like Something Alive'
Crater 17 is discovered in Siberia
- "It was making noises. It was like something alive." And now there are at least 17 of them.
reports journalists with Russian news agency Vesti Yamal in July observed a 164-foot-deep crater on the Yamal Peninsula, the 17th such crater to have been found in a...
in German Hospital
Aug 23, 2020 8:21 AM CDT
Navalny Treated in German Hospital
Still in a coma, Russian opposition leader is visited by his wife
- Alexei Navalny, who fell ill after drinking tea his supporters believe was poisoned, is now being treated in a hospital in Berlin. The Russian opposition leader was taken by air ambulance from Siberia to Germany on Saturday, Reuters reports. Doctors in Omsk approved the move Friday after first blocking it,...
Scientists Make Surprise
Find on Ancient Sled Dogs
Jun 26, 2020 12:33 PM CDT
Scientists Make Surprise Find on Ancient Sled Dogs
They were helping humans far longer than thought, at least 10K years
- Ancient dogs specially adapted to the cold have been helping humans survive in the Arctic for a surprisingly long time—more than 10,000 years—a new study suggests. "Until now, we have thought that sledge dogs were only [2,000 to] 3,000 years old," says Mikkel...
It Was 100 Degrees
in the Arctic Saturday
Jun 22, 2020 3:00 AM CDT
It Was 100 Degrees in the Arctic Saturday
If confirmed that will be its hottest temperature on record
- If the temperature recorded in Verkhoyansk, Russia, on Saturday is confirmed, it will be an all-time high for Siberia. The city, just 6 miles north of the Arctic Circle, had a high of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit, Weather.com reports. That would be the highest temperature on record anywhere north...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
5 Murders Since July May Be Work of Serial Killer
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
High School Football Team Cancels Entire Season After 'Slave Auction'
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
After Late-Night Fatal Crash, an iPhone Calls for Help
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.