Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In the UK, It's a 'Big, Big
Moment' for Soccer
May 17, 2022 11:01 AM CDT
In the UK, It's a 'Big, Big Moment' for Soccer
Blackpool's Jake Daniels, 17, is first professional male player to come out as gay in decades
- British soccer player Jake Daniels capped a successful season for Blackpool Football Club's youth team by making his debut on the main team—and by becoming the country's first professional men's soccer player to come out as gay in decades. The 17-year-old, who scored 30 goals for...
Suspect in Attack
May 5, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Suspect in Attack on Chappelle Won't Face Felony Charges
Isaiah Lee could still be charged with misdemeanors
: The man arrested in the onstage attack on comedian Dave Chappelle won't be charged with any felonies, the Los Angeles Police Department said Thursday. Prosecutors came to the conclusion that criminal conduct occurred but not felony conduct, CBS News reports. The Los Angeles City Attorney's Office will...
Survey of LGBTQ Youth
Has Big Suicide Finding
May 4, 2022 2:34 PM CDT
Survey of LGBTQ Youth Has Big Suicide Finding
45% of them seriously considered it in 2021, Trevor Project says
- A shocking proportion of young LGBTQ people seriously considered suicide last year, according to a new survey from the Trevor Project . The mental health nonprofit says rates of suicidal ideation have risen for the third year in a row and 45% of LGBTQ youth considered suicide in 2021. The figure...
'Sorely Needed' Study Weighs
In on Early Transgender Identity
May 4, 2022 9:01 AM CDT
'Sorely Needed' Study Weighs In on Early Transgender Identity
Those who begin IDing as transgender at young age tend to keep that identity, research finds
- Children who begin identifying as transgender at a young age tend to retain that identity at least for several years, a study published Wednesday suggests. The research involved 317 youngsters who were 3 to 12 years old when they were recruited to the study. Five years later, at the study'...
at 19. Now: 'I Wasn't
Old Enough' for
Apr 12, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
She Transitioned at 19. Now: 'I Wasn't Old Enough' for That Choice
Corinna Cohn on what 'I wish I had known' before gender affirmation surgery
- Corinna Cohn underwent gender-confirmation surgery as a virgin at age 19. Now "closer to 50," the officer with the Gender Care Consumer Advocacy Network has some regrets, as she writes in a
op-ed urging caution to those considering a similar path. There are things "I...
'Cruel Act of Violence'
Against LGBTQ Bar in NYC
Apr 7, 2022 8:06 AM CDT
'Cruel Act of Violence' Against LGBTQ Bar in NYC
NYPD: Suspect walked into Brooklyn's Rash Bar, set it ablaze, then fled; 2 injured
- A popular LGBTQ bar in Brooklyn's Bushwick neighborhood is closed for the indefinite future after what the NYPD says was an act of arson over the weekend, but the owners promise to reopen as soon as they can. "It's so hard to believe and process," Rash...
April 11 Will Be a Big Day
for Transgender Americans
Mar 31, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
April 11 Will Be a Big Day for Transgender Americans
State Department sets date for widespread introduction of gender-neutral passports
- In what State Department special envoy for LGBTQ rights Jessica Stern calls a "momentous step," Americans will be able to select "X" as their gender on passport applications starting April 11. Stern says adding the gender-neutral option moves the US toward "ensuring that our administrative systems...
to Grimes Dating
Mar 16, 2022 8:20 AM CDT
Musk's Response to Grimes Dating Rumor Leans Transphobic
Tesla CEO posted a bizarre meme; he also changed his name to 'Elona Musk' on Twitter
- Whether or not Grimes is actually dating military whistleblower Chelsea Manning is still up in the air, but it looks like her ex isn't happy about the rumor—and he's expressing it in an eyebrow-raising way. After the whispers about Grimes and Manning, a transgender woman, started circulating...
Gonna Be OK'
Mar 5, 2022 9:30 AM CST
GOP Governor to Transgender Athletes: 'It's Gonna Be OK'
Utah's Spencer Cox says he'll veto bill to ban transgender student athletes in girls sports
- Utah Gov. Spencer Cox said that he plans to veto legislation passed Friday that would ban transgender student-athletes from competing in girls sports. Without his support, Utah is unlikely to join the 11 states, all Republican-led, that have recently enacted bans on transgender girls wanting to compete in school sports...
Mar 4, 2022 7:31 AM CST
Another GOP Governor Targets Transgender Athletes
Iowa's Kim Reynolds bars them from girls sports as a 'fairness issue'; LGBTQ activists push back
- Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds calls new legislation she signed Thursday that bars transgender athletes from taking part in girls and women's sports a "fairness issue"—an assertion that LGBTQ advocates disagree with, and one that legal experts say will likely end up in court. House File 2416...
White House Slams 'Dangerous'
Move by Texas Governor
Feb 24, 2022 9:20 AM CST
White House Slams 'Dangerous' Move by Texas Governor
Greg Abbott wants gender-transitioning procedures investigated as child abuse
- Gov. Greg Abbott on Tuesday ordered Texas' child welfare agency to investigate reports of "gender-transitioning procedures" as child abuse, in a move LGBTQ advocates say will strip transgender children of their rights. Legislation to classify gender-affirming medical care as child abuse passed the state Senate but failed to pass...
SCOTUS Takes Case of
Christian Website Designer
Feb 22, 2022 2:14 PM CST
SCOTUS Takes Case of Christian Website Designer
Lorie Smith says she won't design wedding websites for same-sex couples
- The Supreme Court has agreed to hear a new clash involving religion and the rights of LGBTQ people in the case of a Colorado web designer who says her religious beliefs prevent her from offering wedding website designs to gay couples. The high court said Tuesday it would hear the...
One-Fifth of Gen Z Adults in
America Say They're LGBTQ
Feb 18, 2022 12:21 PM CST
One-Fifth of Gen Z Adults in America Say They're LGBTQ
A record 7.1% of US adults overall identify as such, per latest Gallup poll
- When Gallup took its first survey to gauge how many Americans identified as LGBTQ back in 2012, just 3.5% of US adults put themselves in the category of being lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender, the options offered then in the poll. In just a decade, that percentage has doubled—...
Ross' Wife Is Gay? China's
Censors Won't Hear of It
Feb 14, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Ross' Wife Is Gay? China's Censors Won't Hear of It
Fans of 'Friends' cry foul after detail is cut from episode
- China's censors are back in the news , this time over an episode of
. When Ross explains to his parents that his wife has left him, the part in which he explains why—she's lesbian and has found a female partner—was cut from a recently aired rerun,...
In Off-the-Cuff Comments,
Pope Speaks of Gay Kids
Jan 26, 2022 11:42 AM CST
In Off-the-Cuff Comments, Pope Speaks of Gay Kids
Francis tells parents to accompany, not condemn, gay children
- Pope Francis urged parents on Wednesday not to condemn their children if they're gay, in his latest gesture of outreach to the LGBTQ community, which has long been marginalized by the Catholic hierarchy. Francis spoke off the cuff during his weekly Wednesday general audience dedicated to the figure of...
Patton Oswalt's Message
on Dave Chappelle Backfires
Jan 3, 2022 10:25 AM CST
Patton Oswalt's Message on Dave Chappelle Backfires
Comedian insists he's an 'LGBTQ ally' after post about his longtime friendship with Chappelle
- The comedy business can be a somewhat insular one, where everybody knows everybody and ties stretch back decades. So it's not surprising that comedian Patton Oswalt has known Dave Chappelle for more than three decades, and his New Year's Eve post on that topic is now drawing heat....
She Broke a Bunch
of Swim Records,
Dec 17, 2021 1:00 PM CST
She Broke a Bunch of Swim Records, Now Faces Transphobia
Controversy swirls over U of Penn's Lia Thomas, who moved to women's team after transitioning
- The debate on trans athletes participating in college sports has just been kicked up a notch after a University of Pennsylvania swimmer broke three school records and two national ones over the past month. LGBTQ advocates say the ensuing controversy has veered into transphobic waters. NBC News reports on the...
Conversion Therapy Bill in
Canada Gets a Unanimous Vote
Dec 9, 2021 9:40 AM CST
Conversion Therapy Bill in Canada Gets a Unanimous Vote
Controversial practice that tries to change a person's sexual orientation, identity is now banned
- Conversion therapy is officially outlawed in Canada. A bill making it a criminal offense to provide, promote, advertise, or profit from conversion therapy—used in an effort to change a person's sexual orientation or identity—unanimously passed the Senate "with little debate and no committee study" on Tuesday,...
in a Big First
Oct 27, 2021 12:31 PM CDT
'X' Marks US Passport in a Big First
United States has issued one with 'X' gender designation instead of 'male' or 'female'
- The US has issued its first passport with an "X" gender designation—a milestone in the recognition of the rights of people who don't identify as male or female—and expects to be able to offer the option more broadly next year, the State Department said Wednesday. The...
Netflix Co-CEO on Chappelle
Controversy: 'I Screwed Up'
Oct 20, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
Netflix Co-CEO on Chappelle Controversy: 'I Screwed Up'
Ted Sarandos says his defense of comedy special lacked humanity
- A trans Netflix employee who was among the first to speak out about the $24.1 million Dave Chappelle comedy special
directs her criticism toward Netflix's defense of the show in an essay published Monday. "When a company like Netflix says something like, 'We do...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elite Cyclist Shot, Killed at 25
2 Secret Service Employees Sent Home From Biden's Trip
Report: Before Mass Shooting, 15 Accepted Suspect's Invite
Madison Cawthorn Issues Defiant Message After Loss
Carlson Asked Unexpected Person for Favor for His Son
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.