Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Man Who Used Narwhal Tusk to Stop Attack Granted Pardon
British man's murder sentence will end 10 months early
- It's extremely rare for a murderer to win a pardon in Britain. It's even rarer for a narwhal tusk to be involved. Steven Gallant, a 42-year-old inmate who used the tusk to confront a knife-wielding man who had stabbed two people to death in London last year, has...
Mom of San Bernardino Terrorist to Plead Guilty
Rafia Shareef expected to admit she shredded a map on the day of the 2015 attack
- On the same day she told family members that she believed her son was responsible for the 2015 terrorist attack in San Bernardino, Calif., Rafia Sultana Shareef came across a map at the home she shared with Syed Farook and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, who would be shot dead within...
Terror Group Claims Deadly Florida Naval Base Shooting
Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula releases video claiming the attack
- Al-Qaeda's branch in Yemen claimed responsibility Sunday for last year's deadly shooting at the Naval Air Station Pensacola by an aviation student from Saudi Arabia, the AP reports. The shooter, 2nd Lt. Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani, was a member of the Saudi Air Force in training at the base....
Fire Extinguisher, Giant Tusk Used on London Bridge Suspect
Deceased attacker IDed as 28-year-old Usman Khan, convicted in 2012 on terrorism charges
- After Friday's stabbing attack at London Bridge that killed two, a name for the also-deceased suspect: Usman Khan, a 28-year-old who'd been convicted in 2012 on terrorism offenses, per CNN . The news outlet reports that Khan, originally hailing from Pakistan, was nabbed in a counterterrorism sweep in London...
7 Sentenced to Die for 2016 Terror Attack
Bangladesh extremists killed 20 hostages
- A special anti-terrorism tribunal in Bangladesh has sentenced seven members of a banned militant group to death for their involvement in an attack on a Dhaka cafe that killed more than 20 people. Judge Mojibur Rahman on Wednesday found the men from the Jumatul Mujahedeen Bangladesh group guilty of various...
She Wrote Letters to Dylann Roof. Now, a 15-Year Sentence
Ohio's Elizabeth Lecron had pleaded guilty to plotting 2 terror attacks
- An Ohio woman fixated on the 1999 mass shooting at Columbine High School, as well as one at a historically black church in Charleston, SC, in 2015, now knows her fate for plotting two terror attacks herself. The US Attorney's Office for the Northern District of Ohio says that...
Cops: We Foiled Terror Tactic Never Used in Southeast Asia
Police in Indonesia say they busted bomb plot that would've used WiFi for detonation
- Next Wednesday was supposed to be the day. That's when Islamic militants were planning on setting off a bomb, an Indonesian police spokesman says—and they reportedly had a high-tech plan in place. They were going to use WiFi to detonate it, Dedi Prasetyo tells the
New York Times
After Easter Bombings, a Gruesome Retaliation
Mobs attack Muslim homes, shops, mosques and hack a man to death
- A Sri Lankan Cabinet minister says a Muslim man was killed and dozens of shops and mosques were destroyed in communal violence in apparent retaliation for the Easter Sunday bombings that killed more than 250 people. Rauff Hakeem, leader of the Sri Lanka Muslim Congress, says that the man was...
Sri Lanka Bans Face Coverings, Including Veils
Law bans garments that 'hinder identification'
- Muslim women in Sri Lanka will no longer be able to veil their faces under an emergency law ordered by President Maithripala Sirisena that bans all kinds of face coverings that may conceal people's identities. The law takes effect Monday, eight days after the Easter bombings of churches and...
Sri Lankan Official: the 'Worrying Factor' About Suspects
Defense minister says it appears many bombing suspects lived, studied abroad
- The Islamic State has claimed credit for helping suicide bombers pull off the Easter weekend attacks in Sri Lanka, and the nation's defense minister is now citing a "worrying factor" about them. "Most of them are well-educated and come from middle- or upper-middle class [families], so they...
Official: Easter Bombings Were 'Revenge for Christchurch'
American 5th-grader was among Sri Lanka victims
- The father of 11-year-old Kieran Shafritz de Zoysa says his "articulate and insightful and kind" son was one of the Americans killed in the Sri Lanka Easter Sunday bombings. The fifth-grader was staying with his mother in Sri Lanka during a leave of absence from the prestigious Sidwell Friends...
Sri Lanka: Warnings Were Received Weeks Before Attacks
Death toll hits 290 in church, hotel bombings
- The death toll in the Sri Lanka Easter Sunday bombings jumped to 290 Monday amid rising public anger over reports that intelligence officials had warned of possible attacks. Rajitha Senaratne, the country's health minister, said the chief of national intelligence had warned officials on April 4 about potential attacks...
Sri Lanka Blocks Social Media to 'Ease Tensions'
Move could backfire, analysts say
- Sri Lankan authorities blocked most social media after Easter Sunday attacks killed more than 200 people , with officials saying the temporary move was meant to curtail the spread of false information and ease tensions. The NetBlocks observatory says it detected an intentional blackout of popular services including Facebook, YouTube, WhatsApp,...
More Than 130 Killed in Church, Hotel Attacks
Hundreds hurt in Sri Lanka blasts
- At least 138 people were killed and nearly 500 hospitalized from injuries in near simultaneous blasts that rocked three churches and three hotels in Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday, the state-run
reports. A security official tells the AP that two of the blasts are suspected to have been...
Cops: 'Serious Act of Violent Subversion' Halted in Germany
10 have been arrested for allegedly plotting terror attack
- German police say they've arrested 10 people in the west of the country on suspicion of planning an Islamic extremist terror attack, per the AP . The DPA news agency reported the suspects were taken into custody on Friday and Saturday in the towns of Essen, Duesseldorf, Wuppertal, Moenchengladbach, Duisburg...
Half Hour Passed Before Shooter's Livestream Was Flagged
More than 1.5 million copies sprung up in aftermath
- Few people watched the live broadcast of helmet cam footage showing the Friday shooting at one of two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, according to Facebook. The 17-minute livestream had fewer than 200 views at its end, and no one reported it during that time. Facebook says the first user...
Guns Used in Massacre Had Reference to 11-Year-Old Girl
She was killed in 2017 terror attack, and her father is angry gunman cited her
- Stories are filtering in about what took place Friday during the mass shootings at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, that killed at least 49, and by all accounts they're terrifying. ABC News reports on worshippers diving under benches and leaping over fences to get away from the gunfire,...
Duterte Vows to 'Crush Godless Criminals' Who Bombed Church
20 dead as twin bombs go off during Mass at cathedral
- Two bombs tore through a Roman Catholic cathedral on a southern Philippine island where Muslim militants are active, killing at least 20 people and wounding 111 others during Sunday Mass. Witnesses said the first blast inside the Jolo cathedral sent churchgoers, some wounded, to stampede out the main door. Army...
'All the Terrorists Have Been Eliminated'
Kenya's president says 14 people were killed in attack on luxury hotel
- Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta says 14 people were killed in Tuesday's attack on a hotel complex in the capital and the operation to neutralize the attackers is now over. Kenyatta did not say Wednesday how many attackers were involved. He urged Kenyans to "go back to work without...
3 Stabbed in Manchester NYE 'Terror Attack'
Witnesses say attacker shouted Islamic slogans
- Police in the English city of Manchester say they are treating the New Year's Eve stabbing of three people as a terrorist incident. Greater Manchester Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said two people suffered "very serious" injuries in the attack and remain in the hospital receiving treatment, the AP...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
NHL Team Drops Prospect Over His Actions as a Teen
Kanye's Birthday Gift to Kim: a 'Special Surprise From Heaven'
He Was Waiting for a Bus in NYC. Then, a Horrifying Plunge
Cop in Breonna Taylor Shooting Sues Her Boyfriend
Inmate 77827-112 Starts Her Sentence Early
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.