Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Brussels Terror Suspect Dead,
Should've Been Deported
Oct 17, 2023 5:57 AM CDT
Brussels Terror Suspect Dead, Should've Been Deported
45-year-old man, shot dead by police, was denied asylum in 2019
- Police in Belgium on Tuesday shot dead a suspected Tunisian extremist accused of killing two Swedish soccer fans in a brazen shooting on a Brussels street before disappearing into the night, per the AP . Hours after a manhunt began in the Belgian capital, Interior Minister Annelies Verlinden posted on X,...
2 Swedes Killed in Suspected
Terror Attack in Brussels
Oct 16, 2023 4:25 PM CDT
2 Swedes Killed in Suspected Terror Attack in Brussels
Gunman is still at large
- Two Swedes were shot dead in central Brussels Monday in what authorities say is being investigated as a terror attack. The suspect is still at large and the Belgian capital has raised its terror alert to the highest level, the BBC reports. In a video posted on social media, a...
30 Years Ago Came
the 'Powder Keg' for 9/11
Feb 26, 2023 9:05 AM CST
30 Years Ago Came the 'Powder Keg' for 9/11
Sunday is the anniversary of the first World Trade Center terrorist attack
- Lolita Jackson was at her 72nd-floor desk in the World Trade Center, feeling like she worked at the top of the world. Then came the boom, and smoke started curling in from an elevator shaft. Unsure what was happening, she joined thousands of other office workers on a harrowing trek...
Guilty Verdict in
Bike Path Killings
Jan 26, 2023 4:50 PM CST
Jury Returns Guilty Verdict in Bike Path Killings
Same Manhattan jurors will decide whether to sentence Sayfullo Saipov to death
- A federal jury in Manhattan on Thursday found a 34-year-old man guilty of murder in the deaths of eight people who were run down on a bike path along the Hudson River by a pickup in 2017, making Sayfullo Saipov eligible for the death penalty. Whether he receives the death...
Sexton Killed, Priest Injured
in Church Machete Attack
Jan 25, 2023 5:02 PM CST
Sexton Killed, Priest Injured in Church Machete Attack
Spanish authorities are investigating possible terror link
- A machete-wielding man killed a sexton and injured a priest in attacks at two churches in the city of Algeciras on Wednesday before being arrested, Spain’s interior ministry said, in what authorities are investigating as a possible act of terrorism. The suspect was arrested in the southern city and...
Germany Finally Reaches
Deal With Families of
Olympic Massacre Victims
Aug 31, 2022 6:10 PM CDT
Germany Finally Reaches Deal With Families of Olympic Massacre Victims
11 Israelis were killed in 1972 Munich attack
- Some 50 years after 11 Olympic athletes from Israel were killed in what became known as the Munich massacre, the German government has reached a deal with their families. Israeli President Isaac Herzog and German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier announced the agreement Wednesday, days ahead of a commemoration of the Sept....
Militant Attack on Hotel Kills 20
Aug 20, 2022 1:10 PM CDT
Militant Attack on Hotel Kills 20
Troops fight al-Shabab militants in Mogadishu gunbattle
- Islamic militants have stormed a hotel in Somalia's capital, engaging in an hours-long exchange of fire with the security forces that left at least 20 people dead, according to police and witnesses. In addition, at least 40 people were wounded in the late Friday night attack, and security forces...
Man Acquitted in 1985
Air India Bombing
Is Shot Dead
Jul 15, 2022 4:25 AM CDT
Man Acquitted in 1985 Air India Bombing Is Shot Dead
Police in Canada believe attack on Ripudaman Singh Malik was targeted
- A man acquitted in a terrorist bombing that killed 329 people aboard an Air India flight in 1985 was slain Thursday in a possible targeted shooting, Canadian authorities say. Officials said the victim was Ripudaman Singh Malik, who with co-defendant Ajaib Singh Bagri was found not guilty in March 2005...
Cabbie in UK Bombing
Being Praised as Hero
Nov 15, 2021 10:50 AM CST
Cabbie in UK Bombing Being Praised as Hero
Liverpool mayor says David Perry, who survived, locked vehicle's doors on bomber
- The UK has raised its terror level threat after Sunday's explosion in Liverpool as authorities work to suss out what happened. Authorities say one person—the bomber—was killed when an explosive device detonated in a taxi cab outside the city's Women's Hospital, reports the
32 Years Later, New Charges
to Come in Lockerbie Attack
Dec 16, 2020 5:04 PM CST
32 Years Later, New Charges to Come in Lockerbie Attack
Abu Agila Mohammad Masud is the suspected bombmaker
- New charges are expected to be unsealed in coming days in connection to the 1988 bombing of Pan Am flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland, the
New York Times
reports. US prosecutors are expected to seek the extradition of Abu Agila Mohammad Masud, a Libyan suspected of making the explosive that...
Widow, 13 Others Guilty
Dec 16, 2020 2:11 PM CST
Widow, 13 Others Guilty in
Paris terror trial lasted 3 months
- The fugitive widow of an Islamic State gunman and a man described as his logistician on Wednesday were convicted of terrorism charges in the trial of 14 people linked to the January 2015 attacks in Paris against the satirical
newspaper and a kosher supermarket. The Jan. 7-9, 2015...
2 Dead, 15 Wounded in
'Despicable' Vienna Attack
Nov 2, 2020 5:36 PM CST
2 Dead, 15 Wounded in 'Despicable' Vienna Attack
Gunmen opened fire on people having their last night out before lockdown
- Gunmen opened fire on people enjoying a last evening out in Vienna before a coronavirus lockdown Monday in what authorities said was a terror attack that left at least two dead—including one of the assailants—and 15 wounded. "We are victims of a despicable terror attack in the...
Man Who Used
to Stop Attack
Oct 19, 2020 5:55 PM CDT
Man Who Used Narwhal Tusk to Stop Attack Granted Pardon
British man's murder sentence will end 10 months early
- It's extremely rare for a murderer to win a pardon in Britain. It's even rarer for a narwhal tusk to be involved. Steven Gallant, a 42-year-old inmate who used the tusk to confront a knife-wielding man who had stabbed two people to death in London last year, has...
Mom of San Bernardino
Terrorist to Plead Guilty
Mar 4, 2020 9:40 AM CST
Mom of San Bernardino Terrorist to Plead Guilty
Rafia Shareef expected to admit she shredded a map on the day of the 2015 attack
- On the same day she told family members that she believed her son was responsible for the 2015 terrorist attack in San Bernardino, Calif., Rafia Sultana Shareef came across a map at the home she shared with Syed Farook and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, who would be shot dead within...
Terror Group Claims Deadly
Florida Naval Base Shooting
Feb 2, 2020 4:10 PM CST
Terror Group Claims Deadly Florida Naval Base Shooting
Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula releases video claiming the attack
- Al-Qaeda's branch in Yemen claimed responsibility Sunday for last year's deadly shooting at the Naval Air Station Pensacola by an aviation student from Saudi Arabia, the AP reports. The shooter, 2nd Lt. Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani, was a member of the Saudi Air Force in training at the base....
Fire Extinguisher, Giant Tusk
Used on London Bridge Suspect
Nov 30, 2019 6:00 AM CST
Fire Extinguisher, Giant Tusk Used on London Bridge Suspect
Deceased attacker IDed as 28-year-old Usman Khan, convicted in 2012 on terrorism charges
- After Friday's stabbing attack at London Bridge that killed two, a name for the also-deceased suspect: Usman Khan, a 28-year-old who'd been convicted in 2012 on terrorism offenses, per CNN . The news outlet reports that Khan, originally hailing from Pakistan, was nabbed in a counterterrorism sweep in London...
7 Sentenced to Die
for 2016 Terror Attack
Nov 27, 2019 12:13 AM CST
7 Sentenced to Die for 2016 Terror Attack
Bangladesh extremists killed 20 hostages
- A special anti-terrorism tribunal in Bangladesh has sentenced seven members of a banned militant group to death for their involvement in an attack on a Dhaka cafe that killed more than 20 people. Judge Mojibur Rahman on Wednesday found the men from the Jumatul Mujahedeen Bangladesh group guilty of various...
She Wrote Letters to Dylann
Roof. Now, a 15-Year Sentence
Nov 22, 2019 12:42 PM CST
She Wrote Letters to Dylann Roof. Now, a 15-Year Sentence
Ohio's Elizabeth Lecron had pleaded guilty to plotting 2 terror attacks
- An Ohio woman fixated on the 1999 mass shooting at Columbine High School, as well as one at a historically black church in Charleston, SC, in 2015, now knows her fate for plotting two terror attacks herself. The US Attorney's Office for the Northern District of Ohio says that...
Cops: We Foiled Terror Tactic
Never Used in Southeast Asia
May 17, 2019 9:27 AM CDT
Cops: We Foiled Terror Tactic Never Used in Southeast Asia
Police in Indonesia say they busted bomb plot that would've used WiFi for detonation
- Next Wednesday was supposed to be the day. That's when Islamic militants were planning on setting off a bomb, an Indonesian police spokesman says—and they reportedly had a high-tech plan in place. They were going to use WiFi to detonate it, Dedi Prasetyo tells the
New York Times
After Easter Bombings,
a Gruesome Retaliation
May 14, 2019 12:33 AM CDT
After Easter Bombings, a Gruesome Retaliation
Mobs attack Muslim homes, shops, mosques and hack a man to death
- A Sri Lankan Cabinet minister says a Muslim man was killed and dozens of shops and mosques were destroyed in communal violence in apparent retaliation for the Easter Sunday bombings that killed more than 250 people. Rauff Hakeem, leader of the Sri Lanka Muslim Congress, says that the man was...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Another of Italy's 'Leaning' Towers May Be in Trouble
Doritos Caters to Gamers With Crunch-Silencing App
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
One Group of Creatives Has Stellar Mental Health
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.