Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Murder of JonBenet Ramsey
to Get a Fresh Look
Nov 10, 2022 10:15 AM CST
Murder of JonBenet Ramsey to Get a Fresh Look
Colorado Bureau of Investigation team to take up the cold case in 2023
- The Colorado Bureau of Investigation will take a fresh look at the unsolved murder of JonBenet Ramsey next year. The CBI's Cold Case Review Team—a group of "investigative, analytical, and forensic experts from across the state" who meet two to four times a year—will take up...
Rate of Unsolved Murders
Has 'Never Been This Bad'
Jun 29, 2022 4:32 PM CDT
Rate of Unsolved Murders Has 'Never Been This Bad'
Almost half of US murders now going unsolved
- Relatives of murder victims in the US are less likely than ever to see their loved one's killer face justice. According to FBI data, the "clearance rate"—the proportion of murder cases solved or otherwise closed per year—for homicides nationwide has fallen to a record low...
29 Years Later
Apr 19, 2022 3:03 AM CDT
Victim of 'Happy Face Killer' Identified, 29 Years Later
Patricia Skiple was found dead in 1993
- A victim of the Happy Face Killer has been identified nearly 30 years after her body was left near a California highway, authorities said Monday. Patricia Skiple of Colton, Ore., had been known only as “Blue Pacheco" for the color of her clothing until genetic genealogy was used to...
He Recalled a Story His Dad
Told Him, Helped Solved Case
Feb 9, 2022 9:55 AM CST
He Recalled a Story His Dad Told Him, Helped Solved Case
Sheriff's office says the 1972 Durham case is now closed
- A crack in the decades-old case came in 2019. Shane Birt agreed to be interviewed for a book on notorious Georgia crimes, including a case his father had participated in, reports the
. He recounted a story his father, Billy Sunday Birt, had told him during a prison visit:...
His Parents' Deaths Unsolved,
Son Flags 'Eerily Similar' Case
in case you missed it
Feb 5, 2022 4:25 PM CST
His Parents' Deaths Unsolved, Son Flags 'Eerily Similar' Case
John and Joyce Sheridan were found dead in 2014
- John and Joyce Sheridan's children didn't buy the official explanation of their deaths. The couple of 47 years were found dead in the burning master bedroom of their New Jersey home early on Sept. 28, 2014. It was ruled a murder-suicide, with the Somerset County Prosecutor's Office...
$150K Reward Offered
in Lake Tahoe Killing
Feb 5, 2022 3:25 PM CST
$150K Reward Offered in Lake Tahoe Killing
Shooter hid in home for 4 hours, police say
- The daughter of a Lake Tahoe, Calif., man shot to death in a June home invasion is offering 150,000 reasons for someone to come forward about the crime, FOX 40 reports. A man shown on surveillance video sneaked into the home of Robert Spohr and Wendy Wood, hid until...
1963 Killing May Be Solved—
but Suspect May Not Be Alive
Apr 27, 2020 4:03 AM CDT
1963 Killing May Be Solved— but Suspect May Not Be Alive
Authorities have been searching for months with no luck
- Margaret "Peggy" Beck was serving as a counselor for the first time at a Girl Scout camp in Colorado on the night of Aug. 18, 1963, when her tent mate got sick and went to the infirmary for the rest of the evening. So Beck, 16, was alone in...
After Suicide, Police Seek
Connection to Murder of 2 Girls
Jul 23, 2019 12:57 AM CDT
After Suicide, Police Seek Connection to Murder of 2 Girls
Paul Etter lived near where Indiana teens were kidnapped
- Police have a new suspect in the 2017 murder of two 13-year-old girls in Indiana—but they're never going to be able to question him. Paul Etter, 55, killed himself June 27 after an hours-long standoff with police in Boone County, the
Lafayette Journal & Courier
reports. He lived...
51 Eerily Similar
May 30, 2019 11:58 AM CDT
Algorithm Finds 51 Eerily Similar Chicago Murders
'It just screams serial killer'
- The bodies turned up in some of Chicago's most derelict places: alleys, abandoned buildings, weed-choked lots, and garbage containers, per the AP . The victims were mostly black women who had been strangled or suffocated. Authorities believed many were prostitutes or drug addicts or both. There was evidence of sexual...
Public Urged to
Keep Providing Tips
in Killing of 2 Girls
Feb 14, 2019 12:05 AM CST
Public Urged to Keep Providing Tips in Killing of 2 Girls
Indiana murders not a cold case, police say
- Indiana authorities urged the public Wednesday to keep passing on tips in the slayings of two teenage girls killed during a hike , saying on the 2-year anniversary of the crime that the next tip could help solve the case. Liberty German, 14, and Abigail Williams, 13, vanished on Feb. 13,...
Informant's Reference to 'GH'
May Be Black Dahlia Clue
Nov 2, 2018 12:35 PM CDT
Informant's Reference to 'GH' May Be Black Dahlia Clue
Steve Hodel says initials refer to his physician father, who he thinks is the legendary killer
- A retired Los Angeles detective who's long claimed to have solved one of the most vile murders in American history says he has new evidence pointing the finger squarely at … his father. Steve Hodel has spent decades researching the 1947 murder of aspiring actress Elizabeth Short, dubbed the...
Twin Sister's Billboard:
'Find My Killer'
Oct 28, 2018 1:43 PM CDT
Twin Sister's Billboard: 'Find My Killer'
Jennifer Carrieri continues to seek justice
- Killed more than 20 years ago, Jody LeCornu will soon rise above Baltimore County—on a billboard asking people to help find her killer, the
reports. "I don't know that everybody watches the news or TV so I'm hoping it reaches someone who doesn't...
to Solve Notorious
'Black Dahlia' Murder
Oct 26, 2017 6:35 AM CDT
Author Claims to Solve Notorious 'Black Dahlia' Murder
Killer was a sadistic accused pimp, says Piu Eatwell
- It wasn't a doctor who tortured, killed, and carved a clown-like smile in the face of the Black Dahlia, but an accused pimp who escaped punishment as part of a police cover-up, according to a new book. After three years of scouring official documents and grand jury files, British...
Who Dreamed Up
Tale of Murders
Aug 16, 2017 8:13 AM CDT
Cops: Writer Who Dreamed Up Tale of Murders Committed Some
Liu Yongbiao accused of bludgeoning 4 people to death
- Police in China have arrested a well-known author who had already chosen the title for his next novel, reports the
The Beautiful Writer Who Killed
. And that's what authorities allege Liu Yongbiao did more than 20 years ago. The
Times of London
reports Liu had been born into...
Still Be Solved
—With Your Help
in case you missed it
Dec 3, 2016 1:55 PM CST
DB Cooper Case Could Still Be Solved —With Your Help
True Ink releasing case files for citizen sleuths
- A man identifying himself as Dan Cooper hijacked a Northwest Orient jet, jumped from the airliner with $200,000 in ransom money and a parachute, and seemingly disappeared in 1971 in what has endured as one of the great American crime mysteries—one an online magazine now hopes to solve....
NYPD Baffled by Case of Baby
Thrown From Building in 1993
Oct 21, 2016 7:17 AM CDT
NYPD Baffled by Case of Baby Thrown From Building in 1993
They hope a sketch will lead to tips
- She was less than 24 hours old when police say she was thrown from the second floor of an apartment building, a red and white dish towel tied around her neck and her umbilical cord and placenta still attached. She died from strangulation and a superintendent found her body, in...
Vanished Cal Poly Student
May Be Buried on Campus
Sep 7, 2016 9:36 AM CDT
Vanished Cal Poly Student May Be Buried on Campus
Police aim to find Kristin Smart's remains
- Police in San Luis Obispo, Calif., are following the "most promising lead we've had in years" in the hopes of finding some trace of a California Polytechnic State University freshman who vanished 20 years ago. Human decomposition dogs "and other information" led police and the FBI to...
In Old Interview, JonBenet's
Brother Recalls Day of Killing
Sep 7, 2016 5:33 AM CDT
In Old Interview, JonBenet's Brother Recalls Day of Killing
A&E documentary includes police interview with Burke
- A&E kicked off what
calls "television's most anticipated true-crime event of the season" with its documentary re-examining JonBenet Ramsey's murder as the 20th anniversary of her death approaches. One new bit was a never-before-seen police interview with brother Burke from 1998, two years after...
Case of Teen Girls Missing Since 1999 Gets Fresh Look
Jan 26, 2016 7:00 AM CST
Case of Teen Girls Missing Since 1999 Gets Fresh Look
The night Ashley Freeman's parents were killed, she and Lauria Bible disappeared
- On the penultimate evening of 1999, Danny and Kathy Freeman were shot to death in their mobile home just outside of Welch, Okla., and their home was set on fire. But when police arrived on the scene, the Freemans' daughter, Ashley, and her best friend Lauria Bible, both 16 and...
DNA Leads to
Arrest in 1990s
Serial Rapes in
Dec 30, 2015 7:00 PM CST
DNA Leads to Arrest in 1990s Serial Rapes in French Forest
The suspect is married with children
- DNA traces helped police identify, arrest, and jail a Frenchman suspected of 34 rapes or attempted rapes in a suburban Paris forest from 1995 to 2001. Deputy prosecutor Bertrand Daillie told the AP the victims were between the ages of 27 and 72. The 40-year-old man was arrested Monday at...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
The 'Iconic' Kirstie Alley Is Dead at 71
Trump Hid a Big Loan While President: Forbes
Family of Woman Beheaded by Utah Park Gate Wants $140M
Here's How Things Look Ahead of Georgia's Runoff
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.