Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Here Are the
10 Best Colleges in the US
Sep 8, 2023 1:37 PM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best Colleges in the US
Princeton University is No. 1, per new 'WSJ'/College Pulse rankings
Wall Street Journal
is out with its annual college rankings , prepared in conjunction this year with College Pulse, and, perhaps unsurprisingly, an Ivy League takes the top spot. Princeton University is No. 1, and the
says that instructors, a rigorous curriculum, and ample resources all play a part...
Take Another Hit
Nov 17, 2022 9:50 AM CST
College Rankings Take Another Hit
Deans of Harvard, Yale law schools cite issues with magazine's methodology, will no longer participate
- Harvard and Yale consistently show up in college ranking top 10 lists, but there's one notable list their law schools won't be cooperating with in the future. The heads of those schools at the two elite universities announced Wednesday they'll no longer be willing participants in the...
These Are the Top 10
US Colleges and Universities
Oct 17, 2022 12:01 PM CDT
These Are the Top 10 US Colleges and Universities
MIT tops WalletHub's list
- Where to go to college is among the biggest decisions we make, affecting not only our future in general, but also our wallets (or our parents' wallets). WalletHub wanted to see which colleges and universities proved the best-performing options at the lowest cost for undergrads, analyzing the data on 900-plus...
Prosecutors: Ex-Yale Worker
Swiped $40M in Electronics
Mar 30, 2022 8:00 AM CDT
Prosecutors: Ex-Yale Worker Swiped $40M in Electronics
Jamie Petrone pleaded guilty to wire fraud, which could land her in jail for up to 20 years
- For nearly a decade, Jamie Petrone had the ability, in her role as an administrator for the Yale School of Medicine, to place orders for computers and other electronics for the school's Department of Emergency Medicine. Prosecutors say that routine administrative task turned into a yearslong scheme that brought...
This Is the Best
College in America
Oct 18, 2021 11:13 AM CDT
This Is the Best College in America
MIT is No. 1, at least according to WalletHub
- Deciding where to go to college can be a stressful time for high schoolers. For those who are determined to attend the best of the best, WalletHub tries to ease the burden by sifting through all the pros and cons of more than 1,000 higher-ed institutions. The site looked...
How 'Tiger Mom' and Her
Husband Fell From Grace
Jun 20, 2021 6:01 AM CDT
How 'Tiger Mom' and Her Husband Fell From Grace
Inside Amy Chua and Jed Rubenfeld's downfall in the world of Yale Law
- Amy Chua, aka the "tiger mom" from her controversial book,
Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother
, used to sit atop the Yale Law School social stratosphere alongside her husband and fellow Yale professor, Jed Rubenfeld. Known as "Chubenfeld," the couple was also famous for being quite connected...
Is Person of Interest
in Yale Student's Death
Feb 11, 2021 2:10 AM CST
MIT Researcher Is Person of Interest in Yale Student's Death
Kevin Jiang was fatally shot Saturday night
- Police in New Haven, Conn., on Wednesday identified an MIT researcher as a person of interest in the fatal shooting of Yale grad student Kevin Jiang on Saturday night. They are seeking Qinxuan Pan, 29, a resident of Massachusetts, and they warn the public he should be considered armed and...
Cops: Slain Yale Student
May Have Been 'Targeted'
Feb 9, 2021 9:30 AM CST
Cops: Slain Yale Student May Have Been 'Targeted'
Police investigating death of Kevin Jiang
- Police say road rage may be to blame for the murder of a Yale grad student near the campus. Chicago native Kevin Jiang, who studied at the Yale School of the Environment, was shot to death Saturday night a few blocks from campus in New Haven, Conn., reports ABC News...
Aug 14, 2020 12:07 AM CDT
Feds: Yale Discriminates Against White, Asian Applicants
Justice Department makes allegations similar to the ones it leveled against Harvard
- A Justice Department investigation has found Yale University is illegally discriminating against Asian American and white applicants, in violation of federal civil rights law, officials said Thursday. Yale denied the allegation, calling it “meritless” and “hasty.” The findings detailed in a letter to the college’s attorneys...
Anxiety of Influence
Author Dies at 89
Oct 15, 2019 12:11 AM CDT
Anxiety of Influence
Author Dies at 89
Eminent critic Harold Bloom was still teaching days ago
- Harold Bloom, the eminent critic and Yale professor whose seminal
The Anxiety of Influence
and melancholy regard for literature's old masters made him a popular author and standard-bearer of Western civilization amid modern trends, died Monday at age 89. Bloom's wife, Jeanne, said that he had been in...
Women Sue to Change
'Toxic' Frat Culture at Yale
Feb 13, 2019 1:03 AM CST
Women Sue to Change 'Toxic' Frat Culture at Yale
Class-action suit seeks gender integration
- Three women who say they were groped at frat parties during their first semesters at Yale are suing for major changes to the Greek system—including integration. Anna McNeil, 20, Eliana Singer, 19, and Ry Walker, 20, have filed a class-action suit against Yale and nine all-male fraternities, saying Yale...
Costs Harvard a TD
Nov 18, 2018 5:30 AM CST
Player's Gesture Costs Harvard a TD
Running back appeared to flip off defender, though that may not have been what he actually did
- It looked like Harvard had scored a touchdown to take a 34-27 lead early in the fourth quarter of its game against Yale Saturday ... and that would indeed have been the case, had running back Devin Darrington not wagged a finger at the Yale defender who was chasing him as...
10 Best Colleges for the Money
Oct 24, 2018 9:20 AM CDT
10 Best Colleges for the Money
MIT tops the list
- If you're going to fork over close to $50,000 a year to go to college—the top-end average for tuition, room, and board at a four-year school—you want the best ROI on your money. WalletHub looked at close to 1,000 of America's higher-education venues, examining...
1985 Bar Brawl
Oct 2, 2018 6:21 AM CDT
Cops Questioned Kavanaugh After 1985 Bar Brawl
Yale classmate says he threw beer at somebody after UB40 concert
- Another weird twist in the Brett Kavanaugh saga: The
New York Times
has obtained a police report confirming that the Supreme Court nominee was questioned after a bar fight in 1985. The report states that a 21-year-old man injured in the altercation accused Kavanaugh of throwing ice at him. Kavanaugh...
Classmate Says Kavanaugh
Oct 1, 2018 6:21 AM CDT
Classmate Says Kavanaugh 'Mischaracterized' Drinking
He says nominee wasn't being honest in Senate testimony
- One of Brett Kavanaugh's former drinking buddies at Yale says the Supreme Court nominee was not telling the truth when he testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee last week. In a statement Sunday, classmate Chad Ludington said he is "deeply troubled by what has been a blatant mischaracterization...
Probably Doing It Wrong
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 3, 2018 10:38 AM CDT
Happiness: You're Probably Doing It Wrong
Yale's most popular course is all about learning to practice it
- It's called "PSYC 157: Psychology and the Good Life," and the course taught by Laurie Santos just happens to be the most popular one ever offered at Yale, writes Adam Sternbergh at the Cut . Its aim is to teach students to be happier. Sternbergh took the course...
White Yale Student Calls Cops
on Black Student for Napping
May 10, 2018 6:45 AM CDT
White Yale Student Calls Cops on Black Student for Napping
Police arrived after Lolade Siyonbola was discovered snoozing in a common area
- A white graduate student at Yale called police on a black graduate student who'd fallen asleep in a common area of their campus residence—an episode that a dean said shows the need for efforts to make the Ivy League university a more inclusive place, Per the AP , Lolade...
Yale's Skull and Bones
Issues Rare Public Statement
Apr 18, 2018 10:29 AM CDT
Yale's Skull and Bones Issues Rare Public Statement
Warns students of impostor carrying out pranks
- Skull and Bones, the secret society at Yale University, is warning of an impostor who has called some students purporting to recruit them and then asked them to complete a humiliating challenge, the AP reports. The campus society has figured prominently in books, films, and conspiracy theories. Its secrecy has...
This Is Most-Popular Class
in Yale's 316-Year History
Jan 27, 2018 11:38 AM CST
This Is Most-Popular Class in Yale's 316-Year History
With nearly a quarter of all undergrads enrolled
- It turns out a whole lot of Yale students want to learn to be happier. The
New York Times
reports the recently offered Psyc 147—or "Psychology and the Good Life"—is the most popular course in Yale's 316 years of existence. "Students want to change...
Teen Gets Into Yale
With Essay on ...
Jun 2, 2017 8:42 AM CDT
Teen Gets Into Yale With Essay on ... Papa John's
Carolina Williams described her delight upon receiving a pizza from the chain
- "When the delivery person rings my doorbell, I instantly morph into one of Pavlov's dogs, salivating to the sound that signals the arrival of the cheesy, circular glory." That's how Tennessee's Carolina Williams describes her delight upon receiving a pizza from Papa John's, which...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
Family Decries Cyclist's 'Sick' Murder by Laughing Teens
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.