Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ruined a Winery's
Grapes. It Had a Plan
Dec 9, 2021 1:36 PM CST
California Wildfires Ruined a Winery's Grapes. It Had a Plan
Napa Valley's Pine Ridge Vineyards is now producing vodka made from the smoke-tainted fruit
- When life hands you lemons, make lemonade. When it hands you ruined grapes, make ... vodka? That's what Napa Valley's Pine Ridge Vineyards opted to do when its grape crops were sullied by smoke from last year's California wildfires, thanks in part to a partnership with an Almeda...
Freak Winemaking Accident
Kills 4 Family Members
Oct 4, 2021 4:37 PM CDT
Freak Winemaking Accident Kills 4 Family Members
A father, son, and pair of brothers were overcome by carbon dioxide in Italy
- Four men from the same family all died in a freak winemaking accident in Paola, Italy, Saturday as one went in after another trying to save each other. The men had gathered to transfer vats of grape juice fermenting into oak barrels. The fermentation process produces a lot of carbon...
Paper Debunks 'Urban Myth'
About Ordering Wine
May 22, 2021 3:20 PM CDT
Paper Debunks 'Urban Myth' About Ordering Wine
Go ahead and get the second-cheapest bottle, or even the cheapest
- Homer Simpson, in a celebratory mood, once asked a waiter to bring over a bottle "of your second-least expensive champagne." The same buying principle is a well-known one in the world of wine—see this skewering at College Humor . The idea is simple enough. A novice poring over...
This $10K Wine
Could Sell for $1M
May 4, 2021 1:30 PM CDT
This $10K Wine Could Sell for $1M
Because bottle of French wine spent 14 months on the International Space Station
- The wine is out of this world. The price is appropriately stratospheric. Christie’s said Tuesday it is selling a bottle of French wine that spent more than a year in orbit aboard the International Space Station. The auction house thinks a wine connoisseur might pay as much as $1...
A Conclusion for Man Who
Duped the Rich With Fake Wine
Apr 14, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
A Conclusion for Man Who Duped the Rich With Fake Wine
Rudy Kurniawan was deported to his native Indonesia after serving 7 years
- A one-time California man who bilked wine collectors out of millions by selling cheaper booze he rebottled in his kitchen has been deported to his native Indonesia, US immigration officials said Tuesday, calling him a "a public safety threat because of his aggravated felony conviction." Rudy Kurniawan , 44,...
the Wine World's
Most Brutal Test.
Then It Fell Apart
Mar 13, 2021 7:59 AM CST
They Passed the Wine World's Most Brutal Test. Then It Fell Apart
Vice looks at the scandal that has followed the 2018 Master Sommelier test
- For almost everyone on the planet, an email that simply read "PG" and "CndP" would be meaningless. For 24 sommeliers, it was devastating, and the start of a wine-world scandal that still has more questions that answers. Writing for Vice , Adam Elder has the story of the 2018...
After a Year in Space,
Wine Returning to Bordeaux
Jan 13, 2021 6:25 PM CST
After a Year in Space, Wine Returning to Bordeaux
The 12 bottles of vino will be studied—and sampled
- The International Space Station bid adieu Tuesday to 12 bottles of French Bordeaux wine and hundreds of snippets of grapevines that spent a year orbiting the world in the name of science. SpaceX’s Dragon cargo capsule undocked with the wine and vines—and thousands of pounds of other gear...
Thieves Pelt Police
With Bottles of Fine Wine
Jan 6, 2021 7:48 PM CST
Thieves Pelt Police With Bottles of Fine Wine
French hotel has been robbed of $700K worth of wine
- The owner of the Relais Château hotel in France’s Burgundy region has plenty of reason to whine: The five-star hotel’s cellar has been raided twice in the last couple of days, the
reports, with thieves making off with total of nearly $700,000 worth of fine...
Illegal Winery Discovered
at Unlikely Spot
Dec 18, 2020 3:35 PM CST
Illegal Winery Discovered at Unlikely Spot
Cops busted it at a municipal sewage plant in Alabama
- Sheriff's officials say they've busted an illegal winery that was operating at a municipal sewage plant in a small Alabama town. The DeKalb County Sheriff's Office said in a statement that it received an anonymous tip about an alcohol operation at a municipal building in the town...
Oaky Wines Are Fine.
Ashy, Not So Much
Sep 24, 2020 3:30 PM CDT
Oaky Wines Are Fine. Ashy, Not So Much
This year's crop could be a disaster
- Smoke from the West Coast wildfires has tainted grapes in some of the nation's most celebrated wine regions with an ashy flavor that could spell disaster for the 2020 vintage, per the AP . Wineries in California, Oregon, and Washington have survived severe wildfires before, but the smoke from this...
Item Is Simply
Sep 15, 2020 7:21 AM CDT
Taco Bell's Newest Menu Item Is Simply Intoxicating
Chain's Canadian outpost to offer 'Jalapeno Noir' red wine for $20 a bottle
- Starting five years ago, Taco Bell crossed over into boozy beverages, offering liquor-spiked Mountain Dews and punches , margaritas, and even its first branded lager , which seem to make sense with such fare. Now the fast-food chain has an alcohol addition that's slightly more upscale (and "democratizing," per...
Race to Save
Aug 30, 2020 11:40 AM CDT
Vineyards Race to Save Grapes From Fire, Smoke
Lack of tourists also causes problems in California's wine country
- With an early harvest already underway, a wildfire a few miles west of John Bucher's ranch added new urgency to getting his pinot noir grapes off the vine. If flames didn't do any damage to the delicate fruit, ash and smoke certainly could. Bucher hired an extra crew,...
Americans Are Drinking
More, and Here's Why
Jan 14, 2020 1:30 PM CST
Americans Are Drinking More, and Here's Why
Seems there's a cultural change, and no 'policy response to match it'
- Americans are drinking more now than when Prohibition was enacted. What's more, it's been rising for two decades, and it's not clear when it will fall again. That’s the picture painted by federal health statistics, which show a rise in per-person consumption and increases in emergency...
Wine Consumption Slips
as Millennials Turn Elsewhere
Jan 13, 2020 4:41 PM CST
Wine Consumption Slips as Millennials Turn Elsewhere
Baby boomers had kept sales flowing until now
- In another what-is-it-with-millennials moment, they've been found to be drinking less wine than their elders. Consumption fell last year in the US for the first time since 1994, a 0.9% drop, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. An industry researcher said baby boomers had driven the good years. "...
Plan to Free Boy's
a Wine Hack
Nov 1, 2019 8:50 AM CDT
Doctor's Clever Plan to Free Boy's Stuck Tongue: a Wine Hack
Anesthesiologist recalled long-ago method to free 7-year-old's tongue from grape juice bottle
- A 7-year-old boy too eager to suck down all of his grape juice is lucky Dr. Christoph Eich drinks wine—or at least knows how to open a wine bottle without a corkscrew. NBC News reports on this odd injury out of Germany, a case documented this week in the...
Red- and White-Wine
Drinkers Are Very Different
May 25, 2019 10:08 AM CDT
Red- and White-Wine Drinkers Are Very Different
A poll of 2K adult Americans tells you the details
- Clearly white-wine drinkers prefer punk music and red-wine lean toward jazz—didn't you know? As part of National Wine Day, a poll is out revealing the self-proclaimed personality traits and wine preferences of 2,000 Americans over the age of 21, per the
New York Post
. Conducted by One...
A Diner Ordered a $333 Bottle
of Wine. That's Not What Came
May 16, 2019 10:10 AM CDT
A Diner Ordered a $333 Bottle of Wine. That's Not What Came
Restaurant's message to server who accidentally brought out $5K bottle: 'We love you anyway'
- A diner ordered a $333 bottle of wine at a UK steakhouse on Wednesday and instead received a "mythical" Bordeaux worth about 17 times as much. It's unclear if the customer dining at Hawksmoor Manchester realized their good fortune. It was only after the meal that a manager...
No Refills Needed With
Costco's 4-Foot Wine Glass
Nov 6, 2018 11:25 AM CST
No Refills Needed With Costco's 4-Foot Wine Glass
'I can literally drink my height in wine'
- If this Amy Schumer skit left you dreaming of owning your own massive wine glass, Costco has you covered. In time for the holidays, the retailer is hawking a 46-inch-tall wine glass with an in-store price of $79.99, or $99.99 with shipping. Though the packaging shows the glass...
Claims Napa Worker's Life
Oct 30, 2018 1:02 PM CDT
Grape-Harvesting Accident Claims Napa Worker's Life
Leon Marcelo Lua was 49
- A grim work-related death out of California's Wine Country, where a Napa man working at Beaucanon Winery's Deconinck Vineyards got pulled into a grape harvesting machine with fatal results. KTVU identifies the victim as Leon Marcelo Lua, 49. The
San Francisco Chronicle
reports his clothing got caught in...
You're Drunk, Go Home:
Someone Paid $558K
for Bottle of Wine
Oct 14, 2018 9:07 AM CDT
You're Drunk, Go Home: Someone Paid $558K for Bottle of Wine
Sotheby's unloads bottle of 1945 Romanee-Conti for more than 17 times the upper limit, shattering record
- It's the furthest cry possible from Three Buck Chuck: A bottle of a 1945 Romanee-Conti, one of just 600 bottles produced that year by the maker of what's considered France's best Burgundy, has sold for an eye-popping $558,000 in New York on Saturday. The wine was...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Had an Affair—and a Daughter
Mass Killer Gives Nazi Salute at Parole Hearing
Skier May Face Manslaughter Charges After Deadly Collision
Pastor Warns Things 'Might Get Nasty.' They Did
Airlines Have a Dire Warning on 5G Rollout
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.