Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Witness: Meadows Told Me Jan. 6 May 'Get Real, Real Bad'
Medal of Honor
Stories 1 - 20 |
Biden Presents 3 Medals,
2 of Them Posthumously
Dec 16, 2021 2:50 PM CST
Biden Presents 3 Medals, 2 of Them Posthumously
Soldiers awarded Medal of Honor for valor
- President Biden on Thursday presented the Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for valor in combat, to three soldiers who fought in Afghanistan and Iraq. Two were recognized posthumously, per the AP .
Master Sgt. Earl Plumlee
, a Special Forces soldier who fought off Taliban insurgents after an
Senators Urge Biden to
Remove 'Shame on Nation'
Nov 4, 2021 7:21 AM CDT
Senators Urge Biden to Remove 'Shame on Nation'
They want him to revoke medals awarded after Wounded Knee massacre
- Soldiers who gunned down Lakota women and children in one of the worst massacres in American history do not deserve the nation's highest military honor, 17 senators argued in a letter to President Biden this week. The lawmakers—16 Democrats and independent Sen. Bernie Sanders—said it was "...
Biden to Award First
Medal of Honor Friday
May 19, 2021 5:01 PM CDT
Biden to Award First Medal of Honor Friday
Korean War vet Col. Ralph Puckett Jr. will be honored for acts of bravery
- President Biden will award his first Medal of Honor this week to a retired colonel for acts of bravery during the Korean War, the White House announced Wednesday. Biden will bestow the nation's most prestigious military honor on retired Col. Ralph Puckett Jr., who held Hill 205, a strategic...
After 70 Years
Mar 7, 2021 11:00 AM CST
Revered Chaplain's Remains ID'd After 70 Years
Capt. Emil Kapaun, a Medal of Honor recipient, died a POW during Korean War
- Ever since Capt. Emil Kapaun was reported to have died while being held prisoner in Korea in 1951, his family has been without remains to bury. Although relatives sought answers, the chaplain was among the 7,500 service members unaccounted for from the Korean War, CNN reports. But Kapaun was...
Black Soldier's Medal of Honor
Nominations Kept Getting Lost
Feb 16, 2021 8:19 AM CST
Black Soldier's Medal of Honor Nominations Kept Getting Lost
Teammates of Vietnam War hero Paris Davis wonder if race has been a factor in 55-year delay
- In the Hall of Valor , Paris Davis, 81, is recognized with a Soldier's Medal for his actions during the Vietnam War on May 13, 1965. A group of veterans, however, including some of his former teammates, say what happened a month later should have earned Davis the Medal of...
Congress May Make Exception
to Honor an Iraqi War Hero
Aug 28, 2020 3:32 PM CDT
Congress May Make Exception to Honor an Iraqi War Hero
Alwyn Cashe died after pulling others from burning vehicle in Iraq
- Fifteen years after his act of heroism in Iraq, time has officially run out to posthumously award Sgt. 1st Class Alwyn Cashe the Medal of Honor. But the Defense Department hopes to make that happen anyway, assuming Congress grants a waiver of the five-year time limit, the
Medal of Honor
Dies at 41
May 15, 2020 1:53 PM CDT
Green Beret Who Received Medal of Honor Dies at 41
Ronald Shurer II, who joined the Secret Service after the Army, had lung cancer
- He was a Green Beret awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for his heroic actions in Afghanistan, as well as a Secret Service staffer later in his career. Now, per the
, both those organizations are mourning the loss of former Army Staff Sgt. Ronald Shurer II, who died...
For a Hero Coach,
a High Honor
Mar 31, 2020 1:56 PM CDT
For a Hero Coach, a High Honor
Oregon's Keanon Lowe disarmed school gunman
- It was a school gunman incident that ended like no other . And for his role in making sure nobody got hurt, Oregon's Keanon Lowe will receive the Congressional Medal of Honor Citizen Honor, reports the
. Lowe was the football coach at Parkrose High School last year when he...
Medals of Honor
From Wounded Knee
Could Be Revoked
Nov 29, 2019 7:45 AM CST
Medals of Honor From Wounded Knee Could Be Revoked
Elizabeth Warren introduces Senate measure
- Twenty US soldiers were awarded Medals of Honor for "gallantry" and "bravery" following the slaughter of hundreds of mostly unarmed Native Americans at Wounded Knee in 1890. A pair of bills are now seeking to have all those medals revoked. It's "about more than just rescinding...
Man Who Represents the
'Best of America' Has Died
May 14, 2019 2:34 PM CDT
Man Who Represents the 'Best of America' Has Died
Nation's oldest Medal of Honor recipient dead at 98
- World War II veteran Bob Maxwell, the nation's oldest Medal of Honor recipient, died Saturday in Bend, Oregon, more than seven decades after grabbing a blanket and throwing himself on a German hand grenade in France to save his squad mates. He was 98. The death was confirmed Monday...
Medal of Honor
Thank Selfless Marine
Oct 17, 2018 11:20 AM CDT
Medal of Honor Helps Comrades Thank Selfless Marine
John Canley to be honored for rescuing wounded in Vietnam
- Sgt. Maj. John L. Canley repeatedly risked his life to rescue fellow Marines during the Vietnam War, so they felt it only right to fight for him. Thanks to their efforts, Canley will on Wednesday become the 300th Marine to receive the Medal of Honor, usually bestowed within five years...
Medal of Honor
'Hell' to Save 10
Aug 1, 2017 10:15 AM CDT
Medal of Honor Recipient Endured 'Hell' to Save 10
James McCloughan honored for his bravery in Vietnam
- Saving a life may be a common bucket-list entry, but it's one that's rarely checked off. James McCloughan could've done so 10 times over two days in 1969. Ignoring his lieutenant's orders to evacuate Nui Yon Hill in Vietnam after shrapnel cut into his head and...
SEAL Team 6 Left Him for
Dead. But Maybe He Wasn't
in case you missed it
Sep 3, 2016 4:18 PM CDT
SEAL Team 6 Left Him for Dead. But Maybe He Wasn't
Inside the effort to award a Medal of Honor to Tech. Sergeant John Chapman
- An incredible tale of bravery may have surfaced thanks to new "pixel signature" technology applied to 14-year-old videos—but it's a complicated revelation. The
New York Times
reports those videos, shot by overheard aircraft on March 4, 2002, may show Air Force Technical Sergeant John Chapman fighting al-Qaeda...
Medal of Honor
Jul 18, 2016 12:33 PM CDT
Medal of Honor Recipient Made 'Entire Family Trees' Possible
Charles Kettles helped to save 40 soldiers in Vietnam battle
- A Vietnam War veteran who helped save 40 soldiers under enemy fire was presented with the Medal of Honor on Monday. Retired Lt. Col. Charles Kettles of Ypsilanti, Mich., led helicopter flights that brought reinforcements to soldiers and evacuated those who were injured, the AP reports. He repeatedly returned to...
In Rare Occurrence,
Gets Medal of Honor
Feb 29, 2016 12:40 PM CST
In Rare Occurrence, Active-Duty SEAL Gets Medal of Honor
Edward Byers Jr. helped to save abducted doctor
- President Obama shined a spotlight on a "special breed of warrior" as he awarded the nation's highest military honor Monday to a Navy SEAL who participated in a daring 2012 raid that rescued an American hostage in Afghanistan. Senior Chief Special Warfare Operator Edward Byers Jr. is the...
SEAL Who Saved Hostage
to Get Medal of Honor
Feb 3, 2016 6:38 AM CST
SEAL Who Saved Hostage to Get Medal of Honor
He battled Taliban guards while shielding US doctor
- A SEAL Team 6 member who took part in a daring hostage rescue in Afghanistan is going to become the first living sailor to receive the Medal of Honor in almost 20 years. The White House says Senior Chief Special Warfare Operator Edward Byers will receive the medal at a...
Medal of Honor
Goes to Soldier Who
Nov 12, 2015 1:20 PM CST
Medal of Honor Goes to Soldier Who Tackled Bomber
President Obama also informs audience he's not the lead singer of Korn
- President Barack Obama said Thursday that a young Army captain who is the newest Medal of Honor recipient had the instincts and courage to tackle a suicide bomber in Afghanistan during a moment of selfless bravery, saving the lives of many comrades. Florent Groberg is the 10th living service member...
WWI Hero's Family
Aren't Really Family
Jun 3, 2015 8:49 AM CDT
WWI Hero's Family 'Shocked' They Aren't Really Family
But Medal of Honor recipient still a hero—and family—in their eyes
- President Obama honored Pvt. Henry Johnson posthumously yesterday with the Medal of Honor for his bravery in World War I, recognizing how Johnson fended off at least a dozen enemy troops while protecting a seriously wounded comrade —actions that made Johnson's family proud for nearly a century. So...
2 Soldiers to Be Honored
for Their Valor—in 1918
Jun 2, 2015 8:33 AM CDT
2 Soldiers to Be Honored for Their Valor—in 1918
Henry Johnson, William Shemin will receive Medal of Honor posthumously
- Pvt. Henry Johnson is "one of the five bravest American soldiers in the war," Theodore Roosevelt once wrote . Today, Johnson will finally be recognized for his valor—almost a century after he joined an all-black National Guard unit and helped fight off German attackers while on loan to...
Acts 'Lost in the Fog'
of Vietnam Honored
Sep 15, 2014 3:34 PM CDT
Acts 'Lost in the Fog' of Vietnam Honored
Obama bestows Medal of Honor on Bennie G. Adkins, late Donald P. Sloat
- President Barack Obama honored the acts of valor by two Vietnam War soldiers who risked their lives to protect fellow troops, bestowing the Medal of Honor on them in a White House ceremony today. Army Command Sgt. Maj. Bennie G. Adkins, who attended the ceremony, and Army Spc. Donald P....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops: Subway Worker Killed Over Mayo Complaint
Law & Order Actress Drowns in NY River
Witness at Surprise Jan. 6 Hearing Is Revealed
Jan. 6 Panel Calls Surprise Hearing
California's Biggest Landowner Closes Forests to Public
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.