Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
After Odor Sickened
His Family, He Set
Up a Hidden Camera
Aug 28, 2023 10:29 AM CDT
After Odor Sickened His Family, He Set Up a Hidden Camera
Florida's Xuming Li arrested, accused of injecting chemical agents under neighbor's door
- A Florida man suspicious about chemical smells in his home that appeared to be making his infant sick installed a camera to see if he could suss out what was going on—and now his neighbor is accused of being the cause. NBC News reports that 36-year-old Xuming Li, a...
UK Quietly Does 180
on Animal Testing of Makeup
May 9, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
UK Quietly Does 180 on Animal Testing of Makeup
Government apparently reversed its stance in 2019, after decades-long ban
- The UK government had banned the testing of makeup ingredients on animals for more than two decades when it quietly reversed its stance in 2019. It began issuing licenses for animal testing of cosmetic ingredients in line with European Union rules, which don't allow animal testing to determine whether...
Ex-Phillies Got Brain Cancer
After Playing on Artificial Turf
Mar 7, 2023 1:53 PM CST
Ex-Phillies Got Brain Cancer After Playing on Artificial Turf
'Philadelphia Inquirer' digs into the cluster of rare glioblastoma cases
is out with a jarring story about that city's baseball team: The newspaper reports that six former members of the Philadelphia Phillies died of the rare brain cancer glioblastoma, and one thing they had in common is that they played on artificial turf at the since-demolished...
Mar 7, 2023 11:54 AM CST
Keanu Reeves, Fungus-Fighting Machine?
Scientists name chemical compounds that fight fungal infections after the butt-kicking actor
- The cordyceps fighters in
The Last of Us
could definitely use some Keanu Reeves—not the tough heroes he plays in
, but a trio of fungus-killing chemical compounds that have now been named after the actor. Per CNN , a study was published earlier this...
3M: We'll Stop Making
Dec 20, 2022 11:18 AM CST
3M: We'll Stop Making 'Forever Chemicals'
Industry giant announces a big move on PFAS linked to cancers
- The conglomerate 3M announced a big move Tuesday on what have come to be known as "forever chemicals"—the company will stop making them and plans to be rid of them entirely by the end of 2025, reports CNN . Such chemicals are more formally known as perfluoroalkyl and...
That Drive-Thru Order
May Contain More Than
You Bargained For
Mar 26, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
That Drive-Thru Order May Contain More Than You Bargained For
Consumer Reports finds excessive amounts of 'forever chemicals' in some fast-food wrappers
- You might want to dump those Mickey D's fries onto a plate as soon as you get home. Consumer Reports released an analysis Thursday on packaging at fast-food restaurants and supermarket chains, with a concerning find: Many of the wrappers that hold the fare we pick up at the...
Finally, Cause of City's
'Stench of Death' Is Revealed
Dec 7, 2021 10:25 AM CST
Finally, Cause of City's 'Stench of Death' Is Revealed
Fire at California warehouse filled with beauty products led to plant die-off, which led to hydrogen sulfide in the air
- In early October, residents in Carson, Calif., started picking up on a noxious smell emanating from the Dominguez Channel, with dozens of complaints called in daily to the South Coast Air Quality Management District. Some even noted they were suffering from fatigue, headaches, and respiratory issues, reports the
Sunken Ship Will 'Basically
Destroy the Bottom of the Sea'
Jun 2, 2021 12:32 PM CDT
Sunken Ship Will 'Basically Destroy the Bottom of the Sea'
Chemical leak believed to have triggered fires prior to sinking off Sri Lanka
- A chemical-laden cargo ship that burned for 13 days off the coast of Sri Lanka has now sunk, along with hundreds of tons of oil in fuel tanks, in what CNN calls "one of the worst ecological disasters in the country's history." Crews managed to put out...
Thousands Flee Deadly
Chemical Plant Leak
May 7, 2020 3:00 AM CDT
Thousands Flee Deadly Chemical Plant Leak
8 dead, 1K sickened near India factory
- A chemical gas leaked from an industrial plant in southern India early Thursday, leaving people struggling to breathe and collapsing in the streets as they tried to flee. At least eight people were killed and nearly 1,000 suffered breathing difficulties and other reactions, the AP reports. The synthetic chemical...
Don't Make Coffee This Way
if You Have High Cholesterol
in case you missed it
Apr 26, 2020 7:11 AM CDT
Don't Make Coffee This Way if You Have High Cholesterol
Researchers say filtered coffee fares better for longevity than boiled or press-style varieties
- A Swedish study billing itself as the first to look at the tie between the way we brew our coffee and the risk of heart attacks and premature death says one type of brewing method appears healthier than the rest. The research published in the
European Journal of Preventive Cardiology
It Was After Midnight in Texas.
Then, a 'Shock Wave'
Nov 27, 2019 7:21 AM CST
It Was After Midnight in Texas. Then, a 'Shock Wave'
Chemical plant explosion injures at least 3, rocks homes of locals
- "Say some prayers." That was the Facebook post from one Texas resident after a chemical plant exploded early Wednesday. The
New York Times
reports the blast took place in Port Neches at the Texas Petroleum Chemical plant, which produces the colorless gas butadiene—a noted health hazard, per...
Kills 1, Injures 10 at
Buffalo Wild Wings
Nov 8, 2019 1:48 AM CST
Chemical Accident Kills 1, Injures 10 at Buffalo Wild Wings
Police blame fumes from cleaning agent
- Massachusetts authorities say a Buffalo Wild Wings employee has died and at least 10 people have been hospitalized following a chemical accident at the Burlington restaurant. Officials responding Thursday night to reports of a chemical reaction in the kitchen area found a male employee suffering from nausea, WHDH reports. Burlington...
FBI ID's Chemicals That
Sickened Cops in Motel
May 13, 2018 4:00 PM CDT
FBI ID's Chemicals That Sickened Cops in Motel
Police outside Atlanta said three officers will recover
- The FBI has identified the chemicals that made three Atlanta-area cops sick in a motel room where a body was found Saturday. Per WSB-TV , the police officers were sickened by a combination of household cleaning agents, though they were not specified. The DeKalb County police said Sunday that the officers...
Clean Needles Aren't the
Only Tattoo Concern
Sep 18, 2017 9:39 AM CDT
Clean Needles Aren't the Only Tattoo Concern
Ask about the chemicals in the ink—your lymph nodes could be tainted from them
- Besides getting stuck with a Hello Kitty tattoo for life, there's another downside to getting skin ink: Microscopic particles can taint your lymph nodes. A new study found that after a person gets a tat, nano traces of the ink containing preservatives and contaminants work their way into the...
Inevitable at Flooded
Texas Chemical Plant
Aug 31, 2017 12:01 AM CDT
CEO: Explosion Inevitable at Flooded Texas Chemical Plant
Blast will be 'intense,' CEO warns
- An explosion and fire is going to happen at a swamped Texas chemical plant and there's not much anybody can do about it, Arkema CEO Rich Rowe says. The plant in Crosby, around 25 miles northeast of Houston, has lost power after being flooded with around 6 feet of...
Alarm on Dropping
Male Sperm Counts
Jul 26, 2017 6:33 AM CDT
Researchers Sound Alarm on Dropping Male Sperm Counts
There's been a 52% drop in sperm counts over the last 40 years
- The Western man's sperm count just isn't what it used to be. In what the
calls the largest and most comprehensive look into the matter, an international team of researchers reports in the journal
Human Reproductive Update
that after analyzing 185 previous studies involving 42,000...
Smartphone Residue Says
a Lot About You—Really, a Lot
Nov 15, 2016 12:05 PM CST
Smartphone Residue Says a Lot About You—Really, a Lot
Contains clues about gender, diet, health, hygiene, location, pets, and more
- Much like our keyboards, our smartphones are anything but clean. So researchers at UC San Diego decided to analyze the molecules on a handful of them and see what they could deduce about the phone's owners—and it turned out to be a whole lot. They swabbed four sections...
10 Toxins Found
in 90% of Indoor
Sep 15, 2016 3:31 PM CDT
10 Toxins Found in 90% of Indoor Dust Samples
And they could lead to everything from cancer and respiratory problems to lower IQ
- We're surrounded by toxic chemicals, and even holing up in our meticulously kept homes may not save us,
reports. Ten chemicals that may be hazardous to our health were found in over 90% of indoor dust samples taken for a study published in the
Environmental Science & Technology
Part of the
Jun 21, 2016 4:39 PM CDT
Humans Have Polluted Deepest Part of the Oceans: Study
Crustaceans in Mariana, Kermadec trenches rife with chemicals
- Survival of the fittest in the depths of the sea likely includes plenty of its own inherent challenges, but now it's got a man-made one to add to the list. A research team out of Scotland's University of Aberdeen has discovered high concentrations of human-created organic pollutants in...
Congress Just Passed a Huge Environmental Law
Jun 8, 2016 10:03 AM CDT
Congress Just Passed a Huge Environmental Law
Rules on chemicals get first update in 40 years
- It may have gotten lost in all the election news, but a substantial piece of legislation has just managed to clear Congress: A massive overhaul of federal laws regulating chemicals sold in the US is headed to President Obama's desk for his signature—the first such update in 40...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
Supreme Court's First Female Justice Dead at 93
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.