Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Colombia Finally Has a Plan
for Escobar's Hippos
Mar 6, 2023 2:28 PM CST
Colombia Finally Has a Plan for Escobar's Hippos
At least half will be shipped to India and Mexico, and more will go elsewhere later
- Colombia plans to round up about half of Pablo Escobar's famous hippos and ship them out of the country. Wildlife authorities in the nation say they have struck a deal to fly a total of about 70 hippos to sanctuaries and zoos in India and Mexico, reports the
Aug 4, 2022 5:46 PM CDT
Zoo Welcomes New Hippo
Newborn calf, sibling to famed Fiona, already is walking at the Cincinnati Zoo
- The Cincinnati Zoo is celebrating the birth of a full-term hippopotamus that is a sibling to Fiona, who became a global celebrity when she was born prematurely in 2017. The baby hippo was born Wednesday night. "This new calf weighs at least twice as much as Fiona did and...
Zoo Hippos Test
Positive for COVID
Dec 6, 2021 1:21 PM CST
Zoo Hippos Test Positive for COVID
Zoo says only symptom was 'expelling snot'
- Add hippos to the list of animals that can be infected with the coronavirus. In what zookeepers believe is a world first, two hippos at a zoo in Belgium tested positive for COVID-19 after workers noticed they had runny noses, the
reports. Keepers say that apart from "...
Escobar Had 4 Hippos. Dozens
Now Threaten Colombia
Oct 18, 2021 12:03 PM CDT
Escobar Had 4 Hippos. Dozens Now Threaten Colombia
Wildlife officials are now sterilizing the invasive species, whose population has exploded
- Play a word association game using "Pablo Escobar" to start, and you'll likely hear such terms as "drug lord," "cocaine," and "murderer." "Hippos" may also come up if you're playing with anyone from Colombia, where the animals have surged in...
There's Only One Option:
Kill Pablo Escobar's Hippos
Jan 20, 2021 3:02 PM CST
There's Only One Option: Kill Pablo Escobar's Hippos
Unchecked, Colombian herd will hit ecosystem's carrying capacity by 2039: experts
- In the 6.5 years since we last visited Pablo Escobar's hippo herd , it's become illegal to kill any member of the Colombian population, which is considered something of a country emblem. It's no surprise, then, that the non-native animals are breeding out of control in a...
'Worst Gender Reveal'
Ever? It Involves a Hippo
Sep 24, 2019 8:01 AM CDT
'Worst Gender Reveal' Ever? It Involves a Hippo
Texas couple criticized for their methodology, but zoo says Tank 'enjoyed it'
- Some people might say Bridgette and Jonathan Joseph get the prize for the most creative way to find out the sex of their baby; others, not so much. Put Ana Breton in the latter category. "I did it. I found the worst gender reveal," she tweeted Saturday, along...
Dec 5, 2018 8:44 AM CST
US Tourist Attacked by Irate Hippo in Zimbabwe
Local media insinuate she was reckless; her husband, mother-in-law push back on that
- A tour company offering expeditions down Zimbabwe's Zambezi River is called Wild Horizons, but one Florida woman's canoe adventure turned a bit too wild. The
Tampa Bay Times
reports that Kristen Yaldor remains in intensive care in a South African hospital after she was attacked on the river...
A Reach Down, a
Slap on a Hippo's
Butt, Now a
Aug 14, 2018 12:01 PM CDT
A Reach Down, a Slap on a Hippo's Butt, Now a Crime Probe
LAPD looking for man who smacked the backside of 4-year-old hippo at Los Angeles Zoo
- By now, everyone should know not to get too close to hippos in the wild or in captivity, but a California man didn't get the memo. Officials at the Los Angeles Zoo tell the
Los Angeles Times
they've recruited the LAPD to help look for a most unusual...
Hippo Kills Chinese Tourist
Taking Photos at Kenya Lake
Aug 12, 2018 3:30 PM CDT
Hippo Kills Chinese Tourist Taking Photos at Kenya Lake
The 66-year-old was one of two fatalities at Lake Naivasha over the weekend
- A Chinese tourist was fatally bitten by a hippo while taking photos of it on a lake in Kenya over the weekend. Per BBC , the 66-year-old, identified as, Chang Ming Chuang, was trying to get a glimpse of the giant mammal at a wildlife resort outside Nairobi when it attacked....
109 Hippos Turn
Up Dead in a Week
Oct 10, 2017 4:03 AM CDT
109 Hippos Turn Up Dead in a Week
Anthrax suspected of wiping out 8% of Namibia's hippo population
- More than 100 hippos in Namibia, including some seen floating on their backs in shallow waterways this week, may have died from an anthrax outbreak that could now affect other species. Officials say 10 dead hippos were discovered in Bwabwata National Park in northeast Namibia last Sunday, followed by another...
Hippos in Danger Because
of Desire for Their Teeth
Oct 5, 2017 11:02 AM CDT
Hippos in Danger Because of Desire for Their Teeth
Mismanagement in trade of hippo teeth a bad sign: researchers
- It isn't only elephants that are suffering from humans' insatiable thirst for ivory. A new study notes hippopotamuses, already predicted by some to disappear within 100 years, may be dying at unexpected rates to fuel the trade of ivory ornaments made from hippo teeth. Since 1975, 1.7 million...
See Adorable Baby Hippo
Without Traveling to Ohio
Aug 26, 2017 5:09 PM CDT
See Adorable Baby Hippo Without Traveling to Ohio
Cincinnati Zoo's Fiona to get her own Facebook video series
- The Cincinnati Zoo says its popular baby hippo will star in an internet video series called
The Fiona Show
starting next week. The zoo says the first video will be available on the show's Facebook page on Tuesday. It's not clear how many videos are planned or how...
Zoo Visitors Beat Crocodile
to Death With Rocks
Mar 1, 2017 7:09 PM CST
Zoo Visitors Beat Crocodile to Death With Rocks
Government officials are decrying the 'savage behavior'
- Tunisian officials are decrying "savage behavior" after visitors to a zoo in Tunis stoned a crocodile to death Tuesday, AFP reports. Officials posted photos of the dead crocodile—with two large, bloody stones next to it—on Facebook (Warning: graphic) . The crocodile died from internal hemorrhaging after being hit...
Country Horrified by
Beating Death of
Feb 28, 2017 1:31 AM CST
Country Horrified by Beating Death of Beloved Hippo
Gustavito was killed after brutal beating at El Salvador's national zoo
- El Salvador's widespread violence reached an unexpected corner with the brutal and fatal beating of the national zoo's beloved hippopotamus Gustavito. Even among a population numbed by a staggering human death toll due to gang violence in recent years, the animal's death late Sunday stirred outrage. Salvadorans...
South African Park Kills 350
Hippos, Buffalos Amid Drought
Sep 14, 2016 6:00 PM CDT
South African Park Kills 350 Hippos, Buffalos Amid Drought
Meat from the killed animals will go to poor communities
- Rangers in South Africa's biggest wildlife park are killing about 350 hippos and buffalos in an attempt to relieve the impact of a severe drought, the AP reports. The national parks service says the numbers of hippos and buffalos in Kruger National Park, about 7,500 and 47,000...
America's Oldest Hippo Dies
May 5, 2015 12:22 AM CDT
America's Oldest Hippo Dies
Denver Zoo's venerable Bertie was 58
- The oldest hippo in America—and possibly the world—has celebrated his last Bertday. Bertie, a 58-year-old male, was euthanized at Denver Zoo yesterday after keepers noticed a steep decline in the aging animal's quality of life, the
reports. Hippos don't usually make it much past...
on Birth Control
Nov 5, 2014 3:30 PM CST
Surprise: Hippo on Birth Control Has Baby
Los Angeles Zoo is pretty happy with its new accident
- The Los Angeles Zoo is celebrating its first birth of a hippopotamus in 26 years. It was a bit of surprise, too, because the mother was on birth control. Vets haven't determined the sex of the new hippo, but they say the baby appears to be doing well and...
Drug Lord's Hippos
Breeding Out of Control
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 29, 2014 11:01 AM CDT
Drug Lord's Hippos Breeding Out of Control
Pablo Escobar's foreign beasts terrifying fisherman, eating crops
- Colombia is facing an overpopulation issue: a famed drug lord's herd of hippos keeps expanding. Pablo Escobar built himself a zoo in the 1980s, smuggling in a host of exotic animals, including one male and three female hippos. Now, 20 years after the drug boss's death, the hippos...
by Hippo Lives
to Tell Tale
May 4, 2013 5:24 PM CDT
Man Swallowed by Hippo Lives to Tell Tale
Incredible story of survival in Zambia
- "Time passes very slowly when you're in a hippo's mouth," says Paul Templer. He knows firsthand. Templer was attacked by a hippo years ago while paddling on a river in Zambia, where he worked as a tourist guide. "I seemed to be trapped in something...
Farmer Killed by Hippo 'Son'
Nov 15, 2011 12:36 AM CST
Farmer Killed by Hippo 'Son'
Dangerous pet turns on South African
- They tried to tell Marius Els that a hippo couldn't be domesticated. Unfortunately for the South African farmer, they were right. The 40-year-old army major was killed by Humphrey, a 6-year-old "pet" hippo he considered one of the family, the
reports. The 2,600-pound animal bit Els,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
Family Decries Cyclist's 'Sick' Murder by Laughing Teens
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.