Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Canada Slammed With One
of Its Strongest Storms Ever
Sep 24, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
Canada Slammed With One of Its Strongest Storms Ever
Post-tropical cyclone Fiona brings strong winds, heavy rain to Nova Scotia, New Brunswick
- Fiona knocked out power to more than 500,000 customers in Atlantic Canada on Saturday, damaging homes with strong winds and rain as it made landfall as a big, powerful post-tropical cyclone. Fiona transformed from a hurricane into a post-tropical storm late Friday, but meteorologists cautioned that it still could...
Future Hurricanes Could
Form Where We Don't Expect
Jan 4, 2022 1:24 PM CST
Future Hurricanes Could Form Where We Don't Expect
Climate change could move formation of tropical cyclones into the mid-latitudes
- Climate change won't just make hurricanes more intense, it'll expand where they occur in an unprecedented fashion, or so says a new study published in
. "This research predicts that the 21st century's tropical cyclones," meaning hurricanes and typhoons, "will likely occur over...
Amid Brutal COVID Surge,
a Different Blow in India
May 18, 2021 2:12 AM CDT
Amid Brutal COVID Surge, a Different Blow in India
Cyclone Tauktae makes landfall
- A powerful cyclone that emerged in the Arabian Sea made landfall on India's western coast on Monday, hours after authorities evacuated hundreds of thousands of people and suspended COVID-19 vaccinations in one state, the AP reports. Cyclone Tauktae, the most powerful storm to hit the region in more than...
Record Bomb Cyclone
Dec 31, 2020 1:04 PM CST
Record Bomb Cyclone Hitting Alaska
'Bomb cyclone' is building in the northern Pacific
- A storm strengthening in the northern Pacific could become one of the strongest ever in the region and already ranks as the strongest on record in Alaska. One model shows the storm's pressure has dropped enough to qualify it as a "bomb cyclone"; lower pressure usually makes for...
2.6M Forced to
—in a Pandemic
May 20, 2020 8:03 AM CDT
2.6M Forced to Flee Super-Cyclone —in a Pandemic
Amphan makes landfall around India-Bangladesh border
- A process is underway to move 2.6 million people from isolation to shelters in India and Bangladesh with a super-cyclone making landfall. Amphan, the first super-cyclone in the Bay of Bengal since 1999, has already claimed one life as it plowed into the India-Bangladesh border on Wednesday morning. A...
Massive Cyclone Is Bearing
Down on 2 Nations
May 19, 2020 9:00 AM CDT
Massive Cyclone Is Bearing Down on 2 Nations
Amphan, headed toward India and Bangladesh, is 2nd super cyclone ever to form over Bay of Bengal
- A powerful cyclone was moving toward India and Bangladesh on Tuesday as authorities tried to evacuate millions of people while maintaining social distancing. Cyclone Amphan is expected to make landfall on Wednesday afternoon, and forecasters warned of extensive damage from high winds, heavy rainfall, tidal waves, and some flooding in...
Alarm Over Jupiter's
Great Red Spot? Unnecessary
Nov 27, 2019 10:20 AM CST
Alarm Over Jupiter's Great Red Spot? Unnecessary
Researchers say it's not going anywhere
- "We feel confident that the sky is not falling"—quite literally. So says Philip Marcus, a professor of fluid mechanics at the University of California, Berkeley. He's part of a team that looked into the potential fate of Jupiter's Great Red Spot and determined it's...
India's Cyclone Being
Felt on Mount Everest
May 3, 2019 11:15 AM CDT
India's Cyclone Being Felt on Mount Everest
Power outages, dangerous winds, and 3 deaths reported so far from Fani
- Cyclone Fani has made landfall. Per Stuff , the India Meteorological Department said the "extremely severe" cyclone, which threatens more than 100 million people in its path in eastern India, swooped into Odisha state around 8am local time Friday, though it was expected to be downgraded to a "very...
Why 800K Are Being
Evacuated: Fani's Coming
May 2, 2019 9:45 AM CDT
Why 800K Are Being Evacuated: Fani's Coming
Tropical cyclone has more than 100 million people in its path in eastern India
- A tropical cyclone is tracking over the Bay of Bengal en route to eastern India, where more than 100 million people stand in its path. Cyclone Fani, currently an extremely severe cyclonic storm with winds equal to those of a Category 4 hurricane, is expected to hit the state of...
For This Nation, a Deadly First
Apr 26, 2019 7:05 AM CDT
For This Nation, a Deadly First
Mozambique slammed by two cyclones—Idai and Kenneth—in one season
- A powerful cyclone that struck northern Mozambique and is continuing to dump rain on the region killed at least one person and destroyed homes, with the United Nations on Friday warning of "massive flooding." Cyclone Kenneth arrived just six weeks after Cyclone Idai tore into central Mozambique, killing...
Cyclone Could Be Among
Mar 20, 2019 1:50 AM CDT
Cyclone Could Be Among Southern Hemisphere's 'Worst Disasters'
Idai created 'inland oceans' in southern Africa
- The cyclone that slammed into southern Africa last week has created a slowly unfolding disaster that could be among the worst in the Southern Hemisphere's history, aid workers say. The official death toll from Cyclone Idai in Mozambique, Malawi, and Zimbabwe is below 400, but more than 2.6...
More Than 1K
Feared Dead in
Mar 19, 2019 12:07 AM CDT
More Than 1K Feared Dead in Cyclone Aftermath
'It is a real disaster of great proportions'
- More than 1,000 people are feared dead in Mozambique four days after a cyclone slammed into the country, submerging entire villages and leaving bodies floating in the floodwaters, the nation's president said. "It is a real disaster of great proportions," President Filipe Nyusi said. Cyclone Idai...
Dozens Dead, 100 Missing
as Cyclone Slams Zimbabwe
Mar 16, 2019 6:30 AM CDT
Dozens Dead, 100 Missing as Cyclone Slams Zimbabwe
Idai earlier caused havoc in Malawi, Mozambique
- First it hit Malawi and Mozambique earlier this week. On Friday, Cyclone Idai slammed into Zimbabwe, killing at least two dozen and leaving at least 100 people missing, Reuters and AFP report. Particularly hard hit was the district of Chimanimani, which borders Mozambique, and where the death toll may be...
Could Hit 70M
Mar 13, 2019 10:20 AM CDT
'Bomb Cyclone' Could Hit 70M Americans
Hunker down—heavy snow, strong winds expected
- Some 70 million residents of the central US may soon come face-to-face with a "bomb cyclone." The rare weather system—the Conversation has a helpful explainer—arrives Wednesday and could bring with it blizzards, tornadoes, and floods. Per CNN , "more than [45 million] people are under a...
8 Cyclones Were Swirling
at Same Time in Pacific
Jul 25, 2017 11:00 AM CDT
8 Cyclones Were Swirling at Same Time in Pacific
That hasn't happened in more than 40 years
- The northern Pacific Ocean experienced some weather weirdness over the weekend: It had no fewer than eight tropical cyclones swirling simultaneously on Saturday, the first time that's happened since 1974, reports the Weather Channel . For the record, that encompasses tropical storms Fernanda, Greg, Noru, Kulap, and Roke, plus tropical...
in Middle of
Mar 30, 2017 12:27 PM CDT
Shark Found in Middle of Australian Road
It was washed in by Cyclone Debbie
- Emergency crews traipsing through the Australian town of Ayr after Cyclone Debbie made landfall came across a rather odd sight Thursday: a shark roadblock. The 5-foot-long bull shark, surrounded by little more than a puddle, had washed up on a road and died, reports the
. And it wasn'...
Slams Into Australia
Mar 28, 2017 12:30 AM CDT
'Battering Ram' Slams Into Australia
Cyclone Debbie is expected to do a lot of damage
- A powerful cyclone slammed into Australia's tropical northeast coast on Tuesday, tearing down fences, snapping trees, and knocking out power to tens of thousands of houses, officials say. The destructive eyewall of Cyclone Debbie, a Category 4 storm packing winds up to 160mph, made landfall near Airlie Beach, a...
for a 'Monster'
Mar 27, 2017 12:31 PM CDT
Australia Braces Itself for a 'Monster'
Cyclone Debbie to hit Tuesday morning local time
- It's no Little Debbie. Australia is bracing itself for Cyclone Debbie, which is set to make landfall along the coast in Queensland—that's the country's northeastern most state—after 7am local time Tuesday, reports the BBC . That area is 14 hours ahead of EDT, so US storm...
Cyclone Wallops Fiji
Feb 20, 2016 9:59 AM CST
Record-Breaking Cyclone Wallops Fiji
State of emergency has been declared for a month
- Residents of Fiji hunkered down Saturday as a ferocious cyclone tore through the Pacific island chain, prompting authorities to impose a nationwide curfew and declare a monthlong state of disaster. Wind speeds from Cyclone Winston were estimated at up to 177 miles per hour. Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama wrote on...
Relief Teams Reach
Mar 17, 2015 12:44 AM CDT
Relief Teams Reach Devastated Vanuatu
Widespread destruction found on outer islands
- Relief workers who have struggled for days to access remote areas of Vanuatu that were ravaged by a fierce cyclone finally reached some of the islands today, where they were confronted with scenes of widespread destruction. Australian military planes that conducted aerial assessments of the outer islands found significant damage,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
M&M's Brouhaha Was Indeed a Super Bowl Ad Stunt
Cincy Mayor: Yeah, I Deserved Being Called a 'Jabroni'
Man's Body Found in SUV After It's Towed Away
Some Think Twice About Wearing a Wetsuit in SF
24 Actor Annie Wersching Dies at 45
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.