Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
For School Bus Hero,
Crisis Didn't Compete
With a Cellphone
May 15, 2023 7:05 PM CDT
For School Bus Hero, Crisis Didn't Compete With a Cellphone
Father says Dillon Reeves spotted the emergency instantly because he wasn't distracted by a screen
- The father of the 13-year-old who grabbed the controls when a school bus driver became incapacitated said there's a reason his son noticed the problem instantly: He wasn't staring at a cellphone. "What else are you going to do when you don’t have a phone?" Steve...
By Day, He Sweeps
School Halls. After
That, a 'Noble'
May 15, 2023 8:52 AM CDT
By Day, He Sweeps School Halls. After That, a 'Noble' Coaching Gig
Dave Bishop has mentored Maine schoolkids in chess, helping them win state championships
- When Dave Bishop was 50, he decided he'd had enough of his 30-year telecommunications career. He took a retirement package, and a job as a custodian in a Maine school district, figuring it would be a lot less stressful than what he used to do. Now, more than a...
Vendor Serves Up Another
'Insensitive' School Lunch
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 11, 2023 4:20 PM CST
Vendor Serves Up Another 'Insensitive' School Lunch
Chicken and waffles, watermelon served at middle school during Black History Month by Aramark
- Philly cheesesteak, broccoli, and fruit were supposed to be on the lunch menu at a New York middle school on Wednesday. Instead, a food vendor is now apologizing after serving an entirely different lunch at Nyack Middle School that day, which also happened to be the first day of Black...
Students His Race
Nov 15, 2022 10:45 AM CST
Teacher Tells Students His Race Is 'Superior'
Unidentified middle school instructor in Texas has since been fired after students record his remarks
- A middle school teacher in Texas has been fired after students in his class recorded him telling them his race is the "superior" one. NBC News reports the recordings were made last week at Bohls Middle School in Pflugerville, though it's not clear what type of class was...
Teenager Who Gave Away
Cash at School Charged
Oct 23, 2022 12:25 PM CDT
Teenager Who Gave Away Cash at School Charged
Investigators say 14-year-old took the money from her grandmother's safe
- A 14-year-old girl caused a stir at a north Florida middle school when she handed out more than $10,000 that she is accused of stealing from her grandmother, officials said. Marion County deputies went to Lake Weir Middle School in Summerfield on Thursday after reports that a student was...
Suit: Middle School Bully
Started a 'Kill Her' Petition
in case you missed it
Sep 4, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
Suit: Middle School Bully Started a 'Kill Her' Petition
Eleri Irons was awarded $1M by a Los Angeles jury
- When Eleri Irons was 13, she says she was badly bullied by a trio of students at her middle school, and that the El Segundo Unified School District did nothing to protect her. A Los Angeles County Superior Court jury agreed. The district was last week ordered to pay the...
District Probes 'Shameful
Incident' at Middle School
May 19, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
District Probes 'Shameful Incident' at Middle School
6 middle school students used giant letters to spell out racial slur
- Six Florida middle school students who used large letters to spell out a racial slur can expect the "appropriate disciplinary consequences," the district says. The Martin County School District launched an investigation after a photo appeared on social media of the male students standing outside Hidden Oaks Middle...
Teacher Resigns After Science
Experiment Goes Wrong
Apr 7, 2022 8:31 AM CDT
Teacher Resigns After Science Experiment Goes Wrong
Cops say Texas middle school instructor put hand sanitizer in student's hands, set it on fire
- A science experiment gone awry has left a 12-year-old in North Texas injured and a teacher out of a job. CBS News reports that the 37-year-old science instructor, who hasn't been named, resigned after a Friday incident at Granbury Middle School, in which authorities say she placed hand sanitizer...
Middle School Teacher
Faces Felony Charge
Over Threatening Notes
Dec 22, 2021 9:10 AM CST
Middle School Teacher Faces Felony Charge Over Threatening Notes
Mich. art teacher Johnna Rhone denies she left threats insinuating future school violence
- A Michigan school district says a well-regarded middle school art teacher with two decades under her belt may have wanted to start her holiday break a little too early. Just weeks after a mass shooting at a Detroit-area high school that left four students dead, 59-year-old Johnna Rhone, an instructor...
Cops: Mom in
Mar 25, 2021 12:05 PM CDT
Cops: Mom in Boxing Glove Attacks Girl at School
Florida's Edith Riddle, 34, charged with child abuse after incident outside school's cafeteria
- A 34-year-old Florida woman is facing child abuse charges after allegedly fighting a 12-year-old girl at her daughter's middle school while wearing a boxing glove. Edith Riddle—who initially told officials she was unable to remove the boxing glove because it was superglued to her left wrist, per First...
Teachers on Leave
Feb 4, 2021 7:19 AM CST
Teachers on Leave After 'Profoundly Thoughtless' Slavery Lesson
Wisconsin school district is apologizing after assignment asked: 'How will you punish this slave?'
- On the first day of Black History Month, a Wisconsin middle school marked the moment with an assignment on ancient Mesopotamia. That lesson now has multiple teachers on leave, while the school district involved is staying tight-lipped on how it came to be in the first place. The
Mom Slams 'Rape Culture'
After Daughter's School Dance
Feb 27, 2020 10:40 AM CST
Mom Slams 'Rape Culture' After Daughter's School Dance
11-year-old at middle school says principal made her dance with boy she didn't want to dance with
- A mother in northern Utah is pushing for changes to a middle school policy she says is bound to create "another generation who feels that rape culture is completely normal." Alicia Hobson says her daughter Azlyn, a sixth grader at Laketown's Rich Middle School, came home angry...
Through on Ancient
Threat to Wash
Feb 21, 2020 4:55 PM CST
Teacher Follows Through on Ancient Threat to Wash a Student's Mouth Out
School district imposes a 10-day suspension on science teacher
- It's a threat many students have heard but not seen carried out. A Florida middle school teacher has been suspended for putting hand sanitizer in the mouth of a student who she said was talking too loudly in her science class last fall. After telling the student he needed...
Deputy Fired After
Slamming Boy, 11,
to the Ground
Dec 17, 2019 12:11 AM CST
Deputy Fired After Slamming Boy, 11, to the Ground
Authorities say there is 'no justification' for resource officer's behavior
- A North Carolina school resource officer caught on video slamming an 11-year-old student to the ground twice has lost his job and might lose his freedom. The Vance County Sheriff's Office tells CBS that the deputy has been fired and the incident last week is now being looked at...
Hate Blind Spots While Driving?
This Teen Has a Solution
Nov 1, 2019 11:05 AM CDT
Hate Blind Spots While Driving? This Teen Has a Solution
14-year-old Alaina Gassler created innovative workaround
- A Pennsylvania teen has won $25,000 and, perhaps soon, the gratitude of every driver in America with what Mashable calls a "simple but innovative" invention that gets rid of blind spots. A release from the Society for Science & the Public announced that the "girls shine" in...
Parents 'Flabbergasted' at
Number on Student ID Cards
Oct 30, 2019 7:51 AM CDT
Parents 'Flabbergasted' at Number on Student ID Cards
Error leads to sex hotline number printed on IDs instead of number for suicide prevention
- It was supposed to be the number for a suicide hotline that was printed on student ID cards for a California middle school. What ended up there instead: the number for a sex hotline. FOX 11 reports that two digits got transposed on the intended phone number imprinted on IDs...
Oct 11, 2019 10:51 AM CDT
Girl's Alleged Weapon in Threat Charge: Her Fingers
Kansas middle schooler accused of pointing 'finger gun' at classmates is hit with felony charge
- A Kansas middle schooler has been arrested and charged with felony threatening after she reportedly made a finger-gun gesture at four other kids. The
Kansas City Star
reports the Sept. 18 incident took place at Westridge Middle School in Overland Park, with a source telling the paper the girl, age...
Angry Parents Confront
Death of Boy, 13
Sep 27, 2019 3:25 AM CDT
Angry Parents Confront Superintendent After Death of Boy, 13
School is accused of failing to stop bullying
- The death of a 13-year-old boy attacked by two classmates has saddened, shocked, and angered parents in a California community. The boy, identified only as Diego, was attacked at Landmark Middle School in Moreno Valley on Sept. 16 and was pronounced clinically dead eight days later, CBS Los Angeles reports....
7 Middle Schoolers Charged
Over Semen-Laced Crepes
Sep 4, 2019 10:45 AM CDT
7 Middle Schoolers Charged Over Semen-Laced Crepes
Urine-tainted barbecue sauce was allegedly on the menu, too
- Eighth grade students in Ohio are facing charges after allegedly serving teachers crepes topped with semen and urine . The seven male students at Hyatts Middle School in Powell, all 14 years old, were charged Tuesday in Delaware County Juvenile Court following a three-month investigation. It began as video circulated showing...
Suit: School Didn't
Like Teen's Haircut.
Out Came a Sharpie
Aug 21, 2019 10:15 AM CDT
Suit: School Didn't Like Teen's Haircut. Out Came a Sharpie
School staffers said Texas teen's fade haircut violated dress code
- A lawsuit against a school district and three white staffers at Texas' Berry Miller Junior High School alleges a dress-code violation ended with a 13-year-old boy being publicly humiliated and subjected to racial discrimination. Per NBC News , Dante Trice and Angela Washington's complaint—which names the Pearland Independent School...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Doritos Has Solved the Issue of Crunching
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.