Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
900 Women Had Period Issues
After Portland Protests
Apr 29, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
900 Women Had Period Issues After Portland Protests
Survey raises concerns about the effect of tear gas on endocrine system
- A new study is lending credence to widespread claims from protesters that tear gas messed with their periods. Dozens of protesters told media outlets about period irregularities, which they blamed on tear gas exposure, following protests across the country last summer. Now, those claims take center stage in an anonymous...
Sep 10, 2020 5:37 PM CDT
Portland Mayor Tells Police: No More Tear Gas
Use resumed after Ted Wheeler ordered force to cut back
- Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler had already told police in the Oregon city to go easy on the tear gas during demonstrations. He got a dose of it himself in July when he stopped by one of the protests. So now he's leaving police no wiggle room, telling them Thursday...
'Feds, Go Home':
Stand Up to Agents
Jul 25, 2020 9:00 AM CDT
'Feds, Go Home': Portland Protesters Stand Up to Agents
'Wall of Moms,' health care workers, and 'Teachers Against Tyrants' showed up to demonstrate
- Thousands of protesters gathered outside the federal courthouse in Portland, Ore., into the early hours of Saturday, shooting fireworks at the building as plumes of tear gas, dispensed by US agents, lingered above. The demonstration went on for hours until federal agents entered the crowd around 2:30am and marched...
Jul 23, 2020 5:55 AM CDT
Portland Mayor Tear-Gassed by Federal Agents
It's not clear if they knew he was in the crowd
- The mayor of Portland, Oregon, was tear-gassed by the US government late Wednesday as he stood at a fence guarding a federal courthouse during another night of protests against the presence of federal agents sent by President Trump to quell unrest in the city. Mayor Ted Wheeler, a Democrat, said...
Top US General Apologizes
for This Image
Jun 11, 2020 11:46 AM CDT
Top US General Apologizes for This Image
Mark Milley, joint chiefs chairman, says he shouldn't have walked with Trump
- The fallout from President Trump's now-famous walk from the White House to St. John's Church continues: On Thursday, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff apologized for joining the president on that June 1 walk in military fatigues, reports CNN . "I should not have been there,...
Ohio City Says
It's Looking Into
Death of Protester
Jun 5, 2020 2:44 AM CDT
Ohio City Says It's Looking Into Death of Protester
Limited information is available so far on May 30 incident in Columbus
- The city of Columbus, Ohio, says it's looking into reports that a young female protester died "as the result of being sprayed during a protest" in the city May 30. NBC4i reports she has been identified on social media as 22-year-old Sarah Grossman, a recent graduate of Ohio...
Was That Tear Gas in DC?
Jun 4, 2020 2:37 PM CDT
Was That Tear Gas in DC?
Trump insists it wasn't used on protesters in DC, though a pepper compound was
- Before President Trump walked from the White House to nearby St. John's Church on Monday, authorities cleared protesters from his path. Now a debate is simmering over a simple question: Did they fire tear gas? President Trump and his press secretary insist the answer is no. "They didn’...
For $5 a Scoop,
This Hong Kong
Ice Cream Will
Burn Your Throat
May 15, 2020 7:24 AM CDT
For $5 a Scoop, This Hong Kong Ice Cream Will Burn Your Throat
Tear gas-flavored treat is meant as an homage to the pro-democracy movement there
- Tear gas is among the new flavors at a Hong Kong ice cream shop. The main ingredient is black peppercorns, a reminder of the pungent, peppery rounds fired by police on the streets of the semi-autonomous Chinese city during months of demonstrations last year, per the AP . "It tastes...
Cops Fire Tear Gas
Inside Hong Kong
Aug 12, 2019 12:03 AM CDT
Cops Fire Tear Gas Inside Hong Kong Train Station
Officers disguised as protesters make mass arrests
- Police fired tear gas Sunday inside a train station and in several other Hong Kong neighborhoods where protesters occupied roads in the tenth straight weekend of anti-government demonstrations. Protesters hurled bricks at officers and ignored warnings to leave before tear gas was deployed in the Sham Shui Po area, police...
They Were Warned Not to
March. Out Came the Tear Gas
Jul 27, 2019 7:30 AM CDT
They Were Warned Not to March. Out Came the Tear Gas
Hong Kong protests turn violent
- Hong Kong police on Saturday fired tear gas and swung batons at protesters who defied authorities' warnings not to march in a neighborhood where six days earlier a mob apparently targeting demonstrators brutally attacked people in a train station. Protesters wearing black streamed through the Yuen Long district, even though...
Feb 23, 2019 10:45 AM CST
Venezuela Opposition Leader Hails 'Great Achievement'
Juan Guaido says humanitarian aid is getting through
- Opposition leader Juan Guaido says the first shipment of humanitarian aid has crossed into Venezuela from Brazil. Guaido announced the crossing on his Twitter account Saturday. He called it a "great achievement." The AP could not independently confirm the aid had passed through. Guaido one month ago declared...
by Tear Gas, Water Cannons
Nov 24, 2018 10:30 AM CST
Thousands Slammed by Tear Gas, Water Cannons
Demonstrators oppose fuel taxes in Paris
- French police fired tear gas and water cannons to disperse demonstrators in Paris Saturday, as thousands gathered in the capital and staged road blockades across the nation to vent anger against rising fuel taxes and Emmanuel Macron's presidency, the AP reports. Thousands of police were deployed nationwide to contain...
Tour de France
Jul 24, 2018 10:55 AM CDT
Cops Hit Tour de France Riders With Tear Gas
Police were stopping a farmers' protest, but the spray inadvertently affected bicyclists
- Because Tour de France bicyclists needed another physical challenge: Cops accidentally hit some of them with tear gas on Tuesday. It happened as officers were breaking up a farmers' protest that interrupted the 16th stage, reports Australia's ABC . The farmers, upset at slashed government funding, had blocked the road...
Answers on Family.
They Got Tear Gas
Mar 29, 2018 1:00 AM CDT
They Demanded Answers on Family. They Got Tear Gas
At least 68 dead in Venezuela jail fire
- At least 68 people were killed when fire swept through the cells of a police station in Venezuela early Wednesday—and relatives demanding answers later in the day were given tear gas instead. Tarek William Saab, chief prosecutor in the city of Valencia, says 68 people—66 men and two...
Amid Freezing Temps, Water
Sprayed at Pipeline Protesters
Nov 21, 2016 5:18 AM CST
Amid Freezing Temps, Water Sprayed at Pipeline Protesters
Cops use tear gas, water cannon in battle for bridge
- Tension flared anew on the Dakota Access pipeline as protesters in North Dakota tried to push past a long-blocked bridge on a state highway, only to be turned back by a line of law enforcement using a water cannon and what appeared to be tear gas, the AP reports. Sunday'...
Target: Tear Gas
Used on Refugees
Jan 25, 2016 12:38 PM CST
Banksy's Newest Target: Tear Gas Used on Refugees
London mural takes shot at tactics allegedly used on refugees in France
- Two giant sheets of plywood now cover Banksy's latest mural opposite the French embassy in London—though developers of the building it's spray-painted on say they're trying to keep it safe, the BBC reports. Never one to shy away from controversy, the artist borrowed the girl who...
Cops Shot Tear Gas at NJ Concertgoers: Officials
Jun 8, 2015 11:28 AM CDT
Cops Shot Tear Gas at NJ Concertgoers: Officials
People reportedly upset they couldn't get into MetLife Stadium's Hot 97 Summer Jam
- New Jersey State Police blocking gates outside of a major hip-hop concert at MetLife Stadium had bottles thrown at them by angry people in the crowd who were trying to get inside—some without tickets—and they later used tear gas to try to disperse them, according to officials. Crowds...
Hong Kong Cops
Lob Tear Gas at
Sep 28, 2014 9:35 AM CDT
Hong Kong Cops Lob Tear Gas at 'Occupy' Protest
Police warn of 'higher level of force' if protesters don't disperse
- Hong Kong police used tear gas today and warned of further measures as they tried to clear thousands of pro-democracy protesters who had gathered outside government headquarters in a challenge to Beijing over its decision to restrict democratic reforms for the semiautonomous city. After spending hours holding the protesters at...
Jun 1, 2013 2:40 PM CDT
Police, Anti-Gov't Protesters Clash in Turkey
PM pulls back police after two-day battle in Istanbul
- Turkish police retreated from a main Istanbul square today, removing barricades and allowing in thousands of demonstrators to calm tensions after a crackdown on furious anti-government protests turned the city center into a battlefield. A human rights group said hundreds of people were injured in scuffles with police that lasted...
May Day Clash
Erupts at Banned
May 1, 2013 9:25 AM CDT
May Day Clash Erupts at Banned Istanbul Site
20 arrested, at least 4 injured, as capital's main hub closed off
- Violent clashes erupted between police and protesters in Istanbul today, when hundreds tried to breach barricades and reach the city's main square to mark May Day in defiance of a government ban. Some demonstrators hurled stones, gasoline bombs, and fireworks at riot police, who responded with tear gas as...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
Polygamous Leader Had 'Wives' as Young as 9: FBI
Raphael Warnock Wins Georgia Runoff Election
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Iranian Patrol Boat Tries to Temporarily Blind US Navy Ships
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.