Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Park With Parrot
Who Sings Like
Beyonce Gets a
Sep 30, 2020 7:53 AM CDT
Park With Parrot Who Sings Like Beyonce Gets a Vulgar Surprise
5 birds have to be separated at UK venue after swearing at visitors
- Eric, Jade, Elsie, Tyson, and Billy are getting separated. The five African gray parrots were recently donated during the same week, by different owners, to the UK's Lincolnshire Wildlife Park, but something strange happened after they were quarantined in the same room, then put on display together: They started...
A New King of Movie
Profanities Is Crowned
May 14, 2020 10:40 AM CDT
A New King of Movie Profanities Is Crowned
Samuel L. who? Jonah Hill claims the most cussing in his movie roles
- Samuel L. Jackson is no longer the king of swearing in film. Jonah Hill was "humbled" to learn he'd nabbed the honor upon reading an article published Wednesday by the Wrap , which was based on an analysis by Buzz Bingo . The analysis found Jackson had uttered 301 profanities...
Red Flag: You
Really Want to
May 6, 2020 2:03 PM CDT
Twitter's New Red Flag: You Really Want to Tweet That?
Experiment will ask users if they actually want to put up replies with profanity, slurs
- If you've ever tweeted something inflammatory at someone and later lamented, "Maybe I shouldn't have written that," Twitter is testing a feature it hopes might prevent that after-the-fact remorse. Per Bloomberg , the social media giant is conducting what it calls a "limited experiment" that issues...
'We F---ed Up':
A Year in Swearing CEOs
Jan 3, 2018 10:00 AM CST
'We F---ed Up': A Year in Swearing CEOs
121 swear words uttered in conference calls in 2017
- More than any other year on record, quarterly earnings conference calls were profanity-laced in 2017, thanks to a CEO complaining his work is "stressful as s---" and another admitting "we f---ed up." Quartz searched transcripts of conference calls compiled by data provider Sentieo to determine just how...
Gillibrand Uses F-Bombs
to Rip Trump in Speech
Jun 10, 2017 5:30 AM CDT
Gillibrand Uses F-Bombs to Rip Trump in Speech
Senator drops it twice in criticizing the president
- Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand gave a fairly standard speech critical of President Trump on Friday, save for two lines: "Has he kept his promises? No. F--- no,” she told the Personal Democracy Forum in New York City. And: "If we are not helping people, we should go the...
Need Strength? Try Cursing
May 8, 2017 8:05 AM CDT
Need Strength? Try Cursing
Study finds that people perform better in physical tests if they swear
- When you need a little extra oomph during a workout, try swearing. Researchers from the UK's Keele University report via the British Psychological Society that people perform better on tests of physical endurance when they curse. Specifically, 29 people around age 21 took part in a cycling test, and...
Curse Like a Sailor?
Maybe You're Just Honest
Jan 9, 2017 10:11 AM CST
Curse Like a Sailor? Maybe You're Just Honest
Study builds on the premise that swearing is linked to less filtering
- When profanity goes up, so does integrity. Wait, what? That's what researchers from Stanford, Cambridge, and beyond report in a study they've titled, "Frankly, we do give a damn: The relationship between profanity and honesty," in the journal
Social Psychological and Personality Science .
They ultimately found...
More Than Men
in case you missed it
Nov 12, 2016 10:35 AM CST
Women Swear More Than Men —and That's F---ing Great
It's a sign of equality, say researchers
- Men will now have the perfect response the next time someone tells them to watch their language around ladies. A new study finds women—British women, at least—are more likely to utter the F-bomb than men. Surprised? Researchers aren't. As part of a larger study of the English...
Oct 28, 2016 7:49 AM CDT
Duterte: God Threatened to Crash My Plane
Philippine president says he was warned to stop cursing
- When God calls, it's probably wise to answer—and for Rodrigo Duterte, that means to stop swearing like a sailor. Per the BBC , the Philippines president says he was flying home to Davao from Japan when something happened to make him reconsider his infamous potty mouth. "I heard...
Russia Cracks Down on
Jan 15, 2016 4:56 PM CST
Russia Cracks Down on Foul-Mouthed Prisoners
New rules prohibits swearing in prison
- Some prisoners in Russia are facing a harsh new rule: no swearing. Citing an Interfax report, the
New York Times
reports that “socializing with other individuals using lewd, threatening, demeaning, or slanderous expressions or slang” is now a no-no at pretrial detention centers, where detainees often live in large...
In Weird Case,
a Parrot Gets
Aug 21, 2015 9:48 AM CDT
In Weird Case, a Parrot Gets Detained by Police
Elderly woman says stepson trained bird to insult her
- It seems that a parrot in India may have grounds for a lawsuit after police detained it without evidence for allegedly "hurling obscenities" at an 85-year-old woman. Over the past two years, the woman claims she has been subjected to "bad language and foul words" from the parrot...
Minion Toy Has
Jul 10, 2015 1:42 PM CDT
Parents: McDonald's Minion Toy Has Potty-Mouth
Some claim they hear WTF
- McDonald's says some customers have complained that a talking toy included in recent Happy Meals uses a vulgar phrase: WTF, only not abbreviated. The fast-food restaurant introduced a Happy Meal on July 3 with toys inspired by the movie
, and reports started trickling out after that of parents...
Man Faces Life in Prison
... for Swearing
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Dec 7, 2014 7:00 PM CST
Man Faces Life in Prison ... for Swearing
British man has 176 convictions
- Since George Lancelot won't stop swearing at people, and authorities in Britain won't stop locking him up for doing so, he could spend the rest of his life in prison, a judge warned this week as he sent the 61-year-old to prison yet again. Lancelot has 176 public-order...
at Kings Rally
Jun 17, 2014 12:06 AM CDT
LA Mayor Drops F-Bomb at Kings Rally
NYC's de Blasio sings 'I Love LA' over lost bet
- There are two major rules for politicians, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti told a rally for the Stanley Cup-winning LA Kings yesterday. "They say never, ever be pictured with a drink in your hand and never swear. But this is a big f--king day—way to go guys,"...
Man Sues Cops
After Arrest for Cursing
Jun 7, 2014 10:29 AM CDT
Man Sues Cops After Arrest for Cursing
Says his right to free speech was violated
- A western Pennsylvania man arrested for cursing in front of police has filed a lawsuit saying his right to free speech was violated. As the
reports, Richard Pustovrh was arguing with his employers in September 2012 when they called the police. Pustovrh then repeatedly used an obscenity to...
to Ban Swearing
Apr 24, 2014 9:51 AM CDT
Russia Moves to Ban Swearing in Movies
Measure clears lower house of parliament
- Invasion of a neighboring country ? Fine. Laws against "homosexual propaganda"? That's OK, too. But curse words in film? Intolerable. Russia's lower parliament has passed legislation that bans swearing in films, plays, concerts, and shows, reports the BBC . Scofflaws would face fines. If the upper house...
Mar 3, 2014 11:06 AM CST
Pope Accidentally Utters F-Bomb
Francis wasn't speaking in his native language
- Pope Francis' native language is Spanish, which helps explain the F-bomb that he dropped during his weekly blessing yesterday. Speaking from the Vatican in Italian, he intended to say the word "example" or "case," which would have been "caso." Instead, he said "cazzo,"...
Than Any Other
Dec 8, 2013 7:08 AM CST
This State Swears More Than Any Other
Ohioans aren't too polite on the phone: study
- If you're easily offended, you may want to cover your ears during any business call with Ohioans. This is according to a new survey of taped phone calls—the kind with your bank, for instance—in which they warn you that your call may be recorded. During such calls,...
—If You're a Girl
Feb 4, 2013 7:29 AM CST
NJ School Bans Cursing —If You're a Girl
Staff wants 'ladies to act like ladies'
- New Jersey's Queen of Peace High School would like girls to stop cursing, saying it wants "ladies to act like ladies," a teacher tells the
. So the Catholic school asked the girls, but not the boys, to take a pledge not to swear, NBC10 reports. The...
State to Town:
Sorry, People Are
Allowed to Swear
Oct 9, 2012 4:21 PM CDT
State to Town: Sorry, People Are Allowed to Swear
Massachusetts AG asks Middleborough to scrap rule
- Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley is recommending that the town of Middleborough change or repeal a bylaw that prohibits public profanity . The town approved a proposal this summer that would allow police to enforce the 1968 ban by imposing a $20 fine on people who engage in loud swearing in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.