Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Lebanon Shuts Down
for Day of Mourning
Oct 15, 2021 3:38 AM CDT
Lebanon Shuts Down for Day of Mourning
It comes on the heels of gun battles between heavily armed militias that killed 6
- Schools, banks, and government offices across Lebanon shut down Friday after hours of gun battles between heavily armed militias killed six people and terrorized the residents of Beirut. The government called for a day of mourning following the armed clashes, in which gunmen used automatic weapons and rocket-propelled grenades on...
Power Plants Shut Down
Oct 10, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Lebanon’s Main Power Plants Shut Down
2 main state power plants expected to come back online Monday at the earliest
- Lebanon’s two main power plants were forced to shut down after running out of fuel, the state electricity company said Saturday, leaving the small country with no government-produced power. "It is unlikely that it will work until next Monday, or for several days," the
CDC: Postpone Vacation Plans
to These 6 Destinations
in case you missed it
Aug 28, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
CDC: Postpone Vacation Plans to These 6 Destinations
Bahamas, 5 other locations moved onto CDC's list of 'very high' COVID risk
- The CDC's travel advisories list for COVID just received an update, with six nations moving up to Level 4 status, reports CNN . In other words—these are the countries you shouldn't be heading to right now. Ending up in the "Very High" risk category means that these...
A Dead PM,
an $800M Tribunal,
and 'Deficient Justice'
Aug 17, 2021 1:10 PM CDT
A Dead PM, an $800M Tribunal, and 'Deficient Justice'
Special Tribunal for Lebanon stammers to its end
- The Special Tribunal for Lebanon describes itself as "the first tribunal of international character to prosecute terrorist crimes"—the "first" part relating to the fact it was formed solely with a focus on terrorism. It came about as part of an agreement between the UN and the...
Crisis-Hit Lebanon 'Days
Away From Social Explosion'
Jul 6, 2021 8:30 PM CDT
Crisis-Hit Lebanon 'Days Away From Social Explosion'
Financial meltdown is among the worst since the mid-1800s, World Bank warns
- The pandemic has brought tough times to many countries. In Lebanon, it has only deepened one of the worst financial and economic crises ever seen. The World Bank warned last month that the Lebanon crisis could rank among the worst ten—and possibly the worst three—worldwide since the 1850s,...
Israel Is Trying to Assassinate
a Man It Just Can't Kill
May 19, 2021 11:39 AM CDT
Israel Is Trying to Assassinate a Man It Just Can't Kill
There have been at least 8 attempts on Mohammed Deif's life over the years
- The conflict between Israel and Hamas has now hit day 10, and there have been four calls between President Biden and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in that time. CNN describes the latest as "a signal that Biden is losing patience" with a leader he has known for some...
Unusual Heat Wave Sets
Off Chaotic Chain Reaction
Oct 10, 2020 8:30 AM CDT
Unusual Heat Wave Sets Off Chaotic Chain Reaction
Wildfires, mass evacuations, and detonating land mines in the Middle East
- Wildfires around the Middle East triggered by a heat wave hitting the region have killed two people, forced thousands of people to leave their homes, and detonated land mines along the Lebanon-Israel border, state media and officials said Saturday. The areas hit by the heat wave are Syria, Lebanon, Israel,...
US Has New
Theory on Cause
of Lebanon Blast
Aug 14, 2020 6:15 AM CDT
US Has New Theory on Cause of Lebanon Blast
Review puts blame on maintenance work
- A US review has found that maintenance work probably triggered the deadly explosion in Beirut last week. The State Department is in agreement on the cause with Lebanese investigators, the
Wall Street Journal
reports, though President Trump had blamed "a bomb of some kind" immediately after the blast. US...
Lebanon's Leaders Received
Dire Warning 3 Weeks Ago
Aug 11, 2020 9:52 AM CDT
Lebanon's Leaders Received Dire Warning 3 Weeks Ago
Report, letter warned Beirut could be leveled if chemicals weren't secured
- Security officials warned Lebanon's president and prime minister that the 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate stored in Beirut's port could explode, destroying the city, just two weeks before that more or less happened. That's according to Reuters , which got its hands on a state security report...
Lebanon's Entire Government
Aug 10, 2020 12:23 PM CDT
Lebanon's Entire Government Just Resigned
Prime Minister Hassan Diab and his Cabinet quit amid anger over port explosion
- Lebanon’s prime minister is stepping down in the wake of the Beirut port explosion last week that triggered public fury and mass protests. In a brief televised speech, Prime Minister Hassan Diab said Monday that he is taking “a step back” so he can stand with the people...
Aug 8, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
Things Are Heating Up in Beirut
Protesters hit the streets over an explosion that devastated the city
- Security forces fired tear gas and clashed with stone-throwing demonstrators Saturday in Beirut, and a group of protesters stormed the foreign ministry amid mounting fury over this week's explosion that devastated much of the city and killed nearly 160 people, the AP reports. Dozens were still missing and nearly...
60K Sign Petition for
France to Rule Lebanon
Aug 7, 2020 8:26 AM CDT
60K Sign Petition for France to Rule Lebanon
After Beirut blast, many have given up on government
- French President Emmanuel Macron visited Beirut Thursday—and after Tuesday's devastating explosion , more than a few Lebanese were ready for him to take over as
president. A petition circulating on Avaaz calling for the former colonial power to take charge of Lebanon for the next 10 years now...
Grief Turns to Anger in Beirut
Aug 6, 2020 6:48 AM CDT
Grief Turns to Anger in Beirut
Residents blame 'failed state' for devastating blast
- Beirut has been devastated by a massive explosion that killed at least 137 people and left an estimated 300,000 people homeless—and angry residents say the country was broken long before the Tuesday blast. Residents blame corruption and incompetence for the fact that 2,750 tons of highly explosive...
135 Dead in Beirut Blast,
Including an American
Aug 6, 2020 12:04 AM CDT
135 Dead in Beirut Blast, Including an American
Another 5K were wounded, 300K left homeless
- At least one US citizen was among those killed in the devastating Beirut explosion Tuesday night, and several others were injured. The death toll so far stands at 135, with another 100 still missing and search and rescue efforts continuing, ABC News reports. Another 5,000 were wounded, and as...
Port Officials Under
House Arrest in
Wake of Beirut Blast
Aug 5, 2020 12:19 PM CDT
Port Officials Under House Arrest in Wake of Beirut Blast
As news of a letter warning that reportedly warned of the danger emerges
- Investigators began searching through the wreckage of Beirut’s port Wednesday for clues to the cause of the massive explosion that killed 135 as it ripped across the Lebanese capital, and the government ordered port officials put under house arrest amid speculation that negligence was to blame. The investigation is...
'The Scale of the
Disaster Is Immense'
Aug 5, 2020 6:56 AM CDT
'The Scale of the Disaster Is Immense' in Beirut
At least 100 dead, 4K wounded in Lebanon blast
- "The scale of the disaster is immense" in Beirut, Lebanon, the
reports. The death toll in the massive explosion that rocked the capital Tuesday night, causing blocks of devastation , currently stands at at least 100, the AP reports, with another 4,000 injured—and many still missing. TV...
Ammonium Nitrate Blamed
for Devastating Beirut Blast
Aug 4, 2020 8:17 PM CDT
Ammonium Nitrate Blamed for Devastating Beirut Blast
At least 70 dead, 4K injured
- The death toll from the massive explosion that shook Lebanon's capital Tuesday now stands at more than 70—and with scenes of utter devastation for blocks surrounding the Beirut port area, the toll appears certain to rise. The country's health minister says the blast, which caused a mushroom...
In Lebanon, Scores
of Migrant Maids
Dumped Like 'Garbage'
Jun 22, 2020 12:05 PM CDT
In Lebanon, Scores of Migrant Maids Dumped Like 'Garbage'
Ethiopian workers are being abandoned on embassy steps in Beirut as virus kills economy
- There are about a quarter-million migrant workers in Lebanon, many of them from Ethiopia, but as the coronavirus continues to wreak havoc on the former country's economy, maids from the latter are finding themselves suddenly out of a job and dumped on the doorstep of the Ethiopian Embassy in...
Why Did Ghosn Flee Japan?
He Cites a Figure: 99.4%
Jan 8, 2020 9:55 AM CST
Why Did Ghosn Flee Japan? He Cites a Figure: 99.4%
Ex-Nissan boss gives his first press conference since escaping the country
- In his first press conference given since his clandestine exit from Japan, Carlos Ghosn cleared one thing up on Wednesday: No, there's no Netflix show in the works about his dramatic exit. But Ghosn certainly brought the drama in the lengthy press conference given in Beirut, likening his November...
Now Japan's Going
After Ghosn's Wife
Jan 7, 2020 5:01 AM CST
Now Japan's Going After Ghosn's Wife
Carole Ghosn suspected of making false statements in court
- Fugitive Carlos Ghosn will have a new complaint to discuss at his Wednesday press conference in Beirut. On the eve of that press conference, Tokyo prosecutors issued an arrest warrant for Ghosn's wife, accused of perjury. Fashion entrepreneur Carole Ghosn is suspected of making false statements during a witness...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Generals Lied About Jan. 6, Ex-DC Guard Official Charges
Suicide Pod Can Be Used in Switzerland
Black Couple 'Whitewashed' Home, Saw Appraisal Jump
Chief of Staff: Trump's Blood Oxygen Level Hit 86%
2 Die After Using Bed Rails
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.