Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Feds Charge 2 in Alleged
Plot to Attack Power Grid
Feb 6, 2023 1:00 PM CST
Feds Charge 2 in Alleged Plot to Attack Power Grid
Neo-Nazi leader Brandon Russell allegedly conspired with Maryland woman Sarah Clendaniel
- A woman who allegedly told an FBI informant that taking out electricity substations around Baltimore "would completely destroy this whole city" is one of two people charged with conspiring to destroy an energy facility. Sarah Clendaniel, 34, and Brandon Russell, a 27-year-old neo-Nazi leader released from prison in 2021,...
Buffalo Shooting Suspect
Faces Terrorism Charge
Jun 1, 2022 3:02 PM CDT
Buffalo Shooting Suspect Faces Terrorism Charge
He was also indicted on 10 counts of murder
- A grand jury Wednesday charged the white 18-year-old accused of fatally shooting 10 Black people at a Buffalo supermarket with domestic terrorism motivated by hate and 10 counts of first-degree murder. Payton Gendron, who has been in custody since the May 14 shooting, is scheduled to be arraigned Thursday in...
Secret Service: Don't
Ignore Incel Warning Signs
Mar 15, 2022 5:12 PM CDT
Secret Service: Don't Ignore Incel Warning Signs
Report calls for behavioral assessment to prevent mass killings
- Men who consider themselves anti-feminists, male supremacists, or "incels"—"involuntary celibates"—have killed dozens of people in attacks in recent years and more attention needs to be paid to warning signs, the Secret Service said in a report released Tuesday. Experts at the agency's National...
In Domestic Terrorism Data,
a Clear Trend Emerges
Apr 12, 2021 2:04 PM CDT
In Domestic Terrorism Data, a Clear Trend Emerges
Attacks by far-right groups, often white supremacists, lead the way
has done a deep dive into domestic terrorism incidents in the US over the last six years and found a clear trend: Attacks by far-right groups have far exceeded those by far-left groups. Some highlights from the analysis, based on data from the Center for Strategic and...
Suspect's Girlfriend in 2019:
He's 'Building Bombs in the RV'
Dec 30, 2020 9:20 AM CST
Suspect's Girlfriend in 2019: He's 'Building Bombs in the RV'
Pamela Perry reportedly warned cops about Nashville bomber Anthony Warner
- After the Christmas morning RV explosion that wreaked havoc in Nashville, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation said suspected bomber Anthony Quinn Warner—who died in the blast that injured at least eight people, seriously damaged dozens of buildings, and disrupted telecommunications across the Southeast—had not been "on our...
Media Won't Call Nashville
Bomber What He Is
Dec 29, 2020 10:10 AM CST
Media Won't Call Nashville Bomber What He Is
He's a suicide bomber and a domestic terrorist, writes a Refinery29 columnist
- The Nashville narrative is pretty clear: Authorities say Anthony Quinn Warner packed his RV with explosives and blew it and himself up on Christmas while parked downtown. He was, by the most basic definition of the term, a suicide bomber. And yet you'd be hard-pressed to find the phrase...
Whitmer: 'It's Got to End'
sunday talk shows
Oct 18, 2020 2:00 PM CDT
Whitmer: 'It's Got to End'
Michigan's governor responds to chants of 'lock her up' at Trump rally
- Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer said Sunday that President Trump is inciting "domestic terrorism" following "lock her up" chants at his rally in the state the night before, the AP reports. Whitmer told NBC's
Meet the Press
that the rhetoric is "incredibly disturbing" a little more than...
Governor Apologizes to Woman
Who Survived '63 Church Bomb
Oct 1, 2020 3:40 PM CDT
Governor Apologizes to Woman Who Survived '63 Church Bomb
Ivey agrees to talks on compensation over attack at Birmingham church
- The governor of Alabama has extended an apology and a promise to meet with attorneys of a survivor of the Ku Klux Klan's 1963 bombing of a church in Birmingham. Sarah Collins Rudolph, who was blinded in one eye in the attack, is seeking compensation from the state; her...
FBI: 'Boogaloo' Extremists
Used Protests as Cover
Jun 16, 2020 5:50 PM CDT
FBI: 'Boogaloo' Extremists Used Protests as Cover
Air Force sergeant charged with murder of federal officer in Oakland
- An Air Force sergeant already charged with killing a sheriff's deputy in California on June 6 has now been charged with a drive-by shooting that killed a federal officer and critically injured another in Oakland last month. Investigators say Staff Sgt. Steven Carrillo and an accomplice support the extremist...
Bomb Could've Wiped
Out 5 Football Fields
Jan 14, 2020 9:55 AM CST
Prosecutor: Suspects' Bomb Could've Wiped Out 5 Football Fields
Murder, attempted murder are said to have preceded Dec. 10 attack
- The pair who opened fire on a kosher supermarket in Jersey City, NJ, last month had more victims than initially thought. A .22-caliber handgun found in Francine Graham and David Anderson's rental van was used to fire two rounds that struck the vehicle of a "visibly Jewish" man...
Report: State Lawmaker
Engaged in Domestic Terrorism
Dec 20, 2019 6:43 AM CST
Report: State Lawmaker Engaged in Domestic Terrorism
Washington Rep. Matt Shea says he isn't going anywhere
- House Republicans in Washington state suspended one of their own Thursday after an investigation the House commissioned found he'd participated in "an act of domestic terrorism." The
explains that the 108-page report on Rep. Matt Shea released Thursday by a Seattle firm "largely corroborates previous...
Man Who Talked
Hitler' Arrested in
Nov 4, 2019 5:45 PM CST
Man Who Talked About 'Mexican Hitler' Arrested in Synagogue Plot
Authorities say Richard Holzer planned to bomb a Colorado synagogue
- A 27-year-old Colorado man planned to bomb a synagogue in Pueblo, federal authorities say. Richard Holzer, 27, was arrested Friday after meeting with undercover agents, who brought along pipe bombs and dynamite that Holzer allegedly planned to use at Temple Emanuel, the
reports. During his conversations with the...
Charges Say Soldier Passed
Bomb Instructions Online
Sep 23, 2019 6:17 PM CDT
Charges Say Soldier Passed Bomb Instructions Online
Suspect reportedly mentioned Beto O'Rourke as a target
- Federal authorities said Monday that they charged a US Army soldier with sharing bomb-making instructions online, and that he discussed bombing an unidentified media organization and killing left-leaning activists. Jarrett William Smith, 24, a private first class from South Carolina stationed at Fort Riley, Kansas, was arrested Saturday, the AP...
Sen. McSally Out to Make
Domestic Terror Punishable
Aug 14, 2019 12:40 PM CDT
Sen. McSally Out to Make Domestic Terror Punishable
It's not currently a punishable federal crime
- "For too long we have allowed those who commit heinous acts of domestic terrorism to be charged with related crimes that don’t portray the full scope of their hateful actions," says GOP Sen. Martha McSally. And so on Wednesday she revealed she plans to do something about...
Texas Shooting Gets
Aug 4, 2019 12:00 PM CDT
Texas Shooting Gets Official Designation
And an anti-immigrant screed has been linked to the shooter
- A Justice Department official says the federal government is treating the El Paso shooting that killed 20 people as a "domestic terrorist" case, the AP reports. US Attorney John Bash said Sunday in El Paso that the feds are also investigating the attack at a shopping plaza with a...
Coast Guard Officer Accused
of Plotting Terror Attack
to Be Released
Apr 25, 2019 3:03 PM CDT
Coast Guard Officer Accused of Plotting Terror Attack to Be Released
Christopher Hasson hasn't actually been charged with terrorism
- A federal magistrate has agreed to the pre-trial release of a Coast Guard lieutenant accused of being a domestic terrorist , the AP reports. US Magistrate Judge Paul Day noted on Thursday that 50-year-old Christopher Hasson hasn't been charged with any terrorism related offenses. Hasson was arrested Feb. 15 and...
Coast Guard 'Threat' Program
Flagged Weird Computer Use
Feb 22, 2019 9:21 AM CST
Coast Guard 'Threat' Program Flagged Weird Computer Use
That reportedly led to investigation into Coast Guard Lt. Christopher Paul Hasson
- The charges filed against a Maryland Coast Guard officer "are the proverbial tip of the iceberg," per federal prosecutors—who were on Thursday given 14 days to come up with the rest of said iceberg. Lt. Christopher Paul Hasson has been hit with fairly minor illegal drug and...
Suspect Planned to Assassinate
Top Democrats, Officials Say
Feb 21, 2019 4:02 AM CST
Suspect Planned to Assassinate Top Democrats, Officials Say
Christopher Paul Hasson wanted to establish a 'white homeland,' court told
- A lieutenant stationed at Coast Guard headquarters in Washington, DC, planned to carry out terrorist attacks on Democratic politicians and journalists and use violence to "establish a white homeland," prosecutors say. Investigators found 15 guns and more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition in the home of self-proclaimed...
Hunt for Mail Bomb Source
Leads to Opa-locka
Oct 26, 2018 6:37 AM CDT
Hunt for Mail Bomb Source Leads to Opa-locka
Investigators believe devices passed through Florida postal facility
- A huge postal facility in south Florida was evacuated Thursday night as the search for the person who sent pipe bombs to leading Democrats and other critics of President Trump continued. Miami-Dade County police officers, K-9 units, and federal agents could be seen entering the Opa-locka mail sorting and distribution...
Suspect in Virginia
Murder Denied Bond
Aug 14, 2017 10:15 AM CDT
Suspect in Virginia Murder Denied Bond
Jeff Sessions calls the fatal car attack in Charlottesville 'domestic terrorism'
- A judge in Charlottesville, Va., has denied bond for an Ohio man accused of plowing his car into a crowd at a white nationalist rally, reports the AP . Judge Robert Downer said during a bond hearing Monday he would appoint a lawyer for James Alex Fields Jr. The 20-year-old is...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Teen Admits Horrific Murder of Classmate, 13
Vendor Serves Up Another 'Insensitive' School Lunch
Musk Is Worried About Himself. So Is His Mom
Western New York Jolted Awake: 'Felt Like a Car Hit My House
Chris Brown Didn't Take His Grammy Loss Well
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.