Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
ESPN May Be About to
Enter 'Uncharted Waters'
Aug 9, 2023 7:52 AM CDT
ESPN May Be About to Enter 'Uncharted Waters'
Media giant, Penn Entertainment to launch 'ESPN Bet,' a sports betting app rebrand
- You know ESPN the sports media giant. Now brace yourself for ESPN Bet, a rebranding of an existing sports-betting app owned by Penn Entertainment, which is paying $1.5 billion plus other considerations for exclusive rights to the ESPN name. The deal, announced Tuesday, could take Walt Disney Co.-owned...
Drake Just Made a Huge
Super Bowl Bet
Feb 10, 2023 5:15 PM CST
Drake Just Made a Huge Super Bowl Bet
Canadian rapper plunked down nearly $1M on the Kansas City Chiefs, playing the Eagles on Sunday
- The sports betting machine is already in overdrive ahead of Sunday's Super Bowl matchup between the Kansas City Chiefs and Philadelphia Eagles, but one big bet in particular is making everyone put down their beer and wings. CBS Sports reports that Canadian rapper Drake has plunked down $965K on...
California Voters Say
No to Sports Betting
Nov 9, 2022 2:21 PM CST
California Voters Say No to Sports Betting
Propositions 26, 27 promised tens or hundreds of millions in state revenue
- The most expensive ballot proposition gamble in US history went bust Tuesday as California voters overwhelmingly rejected sports betting, shooting down initiatives to legalize sports gambling at tribal casinos and horse tracks or through mobile and online wagering. Native American tribes and the gaming industry raised nearly $460 million (see...
If the Astros Win It All, He'll
Win a Staggering Amount
Nov 2, 2022 8:12 AM CDT
If the Astros Win It All, He'll Win a Staggering Amount
Jim McIngvale could walk away with the largest payout on a single legal sports bet
- The Phillies are up 2-1 in the World Series, and there's probably one American who's hoping more than most that the tides change: a prolific Texas gambler with a knack for attention-getting bets, who stands to win nearly $75 million if the Houston Astros win the World Series....
for Betting on
Mar 8, 2022 3:00 AM CST
Falcons Player Suspended for Betting on NFL Games
Calvin Ridley defends himself on Twitter
- For endangering the integrity of the sport by betting on games, Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Calvin Ridley has been suspended by the NFL for at least the next season, the AP reports. Ridley won’t play in 2022 and there is no guarantee for the NFL future of the player...
Gambling Group Predicts
Record-Breaking Super Bowl
Feb 8, 2022 5:42 PM CST
Gambling Group Predicts Record-Breaking Super Bowl
Group says 31.5M expected to place bets
- A record 31.5 million Americans plan to bet on this year's Super Bowl, according to estimates released Tuesday by the gambling industry's national trade group. The American Gaming Association forecasted that over $7.6 billion will be wagered on pro football's championship game set for Sunday....
They Bet on a Trump Win.
Now They Want Their Money
Dec 18, 2020 12:33 PM CST
They Bet on a Trump Win. Now They Want Their Money
Gamblers threaten legal action against betting sites, saying race shouldn't have been called for Biden
- President Trump continues to push his claims of election fraud, and last week, he tried to support that narrative with a tweet tied to gambling, per Casino.org . "At 10:00 P.M. on Election Evening, we were at 97% win with the so-called 'bookies,'" he...
Vegas Bettors Bank
Nearly $250K in 'Pure Theft'
Jul 5, 2020 12:20 PM CDT
Vegas Bettors Bank Nearly $250K in 'Pure Theft'
Looks like the biggest 'past post' loss in Las Vegas history
- Las Vegas bettors racked up nearly $250,000 in winnings last weekend in what might be the city's biggest sportsbook loss ever. The cause: an apparent manual-entry error that allowed people to bet on Korean and Chinese baseball games that had already started, the
Las Vegas Review-Journal
$500K Game of Rock, Paper,
Scissors Goes to Court
Apr 26, 2020 12:25 PM CDT
$500K Game of Rock, Paper, Scissors Goes to Court
Edmund Mark Hooper must be breathing a sigh of relief
- Who loses $517,000 in a game of rock, paper, scissors? Canadian man Edmund Mark Hooper does, but he must be happy today: The Quebec Court of Appeal has ruled that his devastating 2011 loss—which forced him to remortgage his home to pay up—is null and void, Sky...
Against All Odds, Bettor
Wins Stunning $2.2M
Sep 28, 2019 1:00 PM CDT
Against All Odds, Bettor Wins Stunning $2.2M
Someone turns 20-cent wager into a huge jackpot
- A bettor at Gulfstream Park turned a 20-cent, six-race wager into more than $2.2 million Friday, the AP reports. Someone hit Gulfstream's Rainbow 6 on Friday, the first time that the total jackpot had been claimed for that wager since July 6. To win the entire jackpot, someone...
Tiger Woods' Stunning Win
Cost Bookies Millions
Apr 15, 2019 6:38 AM CDT
Tiger Woods' Stunning Win Cost Bookies Millions
One gambler won $1.2M
- Tiger Woods' stunning Masters win in Georgia on Sunday was a great day for the golfer and for anybody who can't resist a good comeback story—but a lousy day for bookies. A customer betting with William Hill in Las Vegas won $1.2 million with an $85,000...
On the Line for Senators
During NBA Finals: Booze
Jun 1, 2018 12:10 AM CDT
On the Line for Senators During NBA Finals: Booze
California, Ohio pols bet each other wine, beer as Warriors take on Cavaliers
- With the Golden State Warriors and the Cleveland Cavaliers meeting for their f ourth straight NBA finals , senators from Ohio and California are keeping things interesting with a bet. California Sens. Dianne Feinstein and Kamala Harris have bet a case of California chardonnay and a case of beer from Anchor...
Supreme Court Says All States
Can Now Allow Sports Betting
May 14, 2018 11:00 AM CDT
Supreme Court Says All States Can Now Allow Sports Betting
A 1992 law had banned states from allowing it
- Sports betting—legally—is about to get a lot easier after a Supreme Court decision Monday. Since 1992, a federal law has required states other than Nevada to ban gambling on sports; Nevada was grandfathered in at the time and has since had a monopoly on legal sports betting. But...
Winning Derby Bet
Is 'Unheard Of'
May 7, 2018 6:21 AM CDT
Texas Woman's Winning Derby Bet Is 'Unheard Of'
Margaret Reid called 5 races in a row
- Justify's owners walked away with $1.43 million after the colt won the Kentucky Derby on Saturday, reports the AP . A woman in Austin, Texas, who picked him to win ended up with just a hair less—$1.2 million. Her incredible bet cost her just $18 and involved...
Queen's Horses Have
Brought in Almost $9M
Oct 25, 2017 12:42 PM CDT
Queen's Horses Have Brought in Almost $9M
They have a 16% win percentage over 30 years
- In horse racing, a bet on one of Queen Elizabeth II's horses is about as safe a bet as you can make. That's because the queen's steeds have raked in $8.9 million in winnings since 1988, with 451 victories in 2,815 runs for a 16%...
Ohio, Illinois Govs'
World Series Bet:
Beer ... Mustard?
Oct 25, 2016 1:11 AM CDT
Ohio, Illinois Govs' World Series Bet: Beer ... Mustard?
Pizza for Bruce Rauner, 'fan favorites' like ballpark mustard for John Kasich
- The governors of Illinois and Ohio have bet each other cases of beer, pizza, and other ballpark favorites ahead of the World Series contest between the Cubs and the Indians. In a Monday tweet , Republican Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner wagered an extra-large Chicago-style deep-dish pizza and a case of microbrew...
Someone Just Made a
Record-Setting Bet on Clinton
Oct 7, 2016 4:04 PM CDT
Someone Just Made a Record-Setting Bet on Clinton
Woman places $615K bet on Clinton to win the election
- Well, someone out there is
confident of a Hillary Clinton victory this November.
reports a 46-year-old woman just placed a $615,862 bet on Clinton to win the election. British bookmaker William Hill says it's the biggest bet ever placed on a US presidential election. William Hill...
$100 Bet on
Could Pay $100K
Mar 28, 2016 7:49 AM CDT
$100 Bet on Syracuse Win Could Pay $100K
Wager was placed when no one thought the Orange had a chance
- In an incredible run that SB Nation says "doesn't make sense" and
labels "improbable," Syracuse beat No. 1 seed Virginia 68-62 on Sunday, the AP reports—making the Orange the first No. 10 seed to make it to the Final Four. And one bettor...
ESPN: We've Got
Proof Pete Rose
Bet as Player
Jun 22, 2015 1:30 PM CDT
ESPN: We've Got Proof Pete Rose Bet as Player
'Outside the Lines' says pages from notebook show 'extensive' betting in '86
- For more than 25 years, a notebook seized from the home of one of Pete Rose's ex-associates in a mail-fraud investigation has been locked down by court order, most recently in the National Archives' New York office. But ESPN's
Outside the Lines
has reportedly obtained pages from that...
15 Years Later,
Crazy Bet on
Oct 18, 2013 2:40 PM CDT
15 Years Later, Crazy Bet on Grandson Worth $200K
Little Harry Wilson grew up to be a pro soccer player
- Like a good return on your investment? Try betting that a toddler will become a professional athlete—a gamble that turned $80 into roughly $202,000 for a grandfather in Wales, the BBC reports. Peter Edwards, 62, made the bet on grandson Harry Wilson nearly 17 years ago and just...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Hollywood Is Going After Lauren Boebert
Texas Woman Whose Baby Won't Survive Goes to Court
A 65-Year-Old Christmas Classic Finally Hits No. 1
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.