Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Customs and Border Protection
Stories 1 - 20 |
All These Snakes Were
Under and in a Man's Clothes
Mar 9, 2022 2:20 PM CST
All These Snakes Were Under and in a Man's Clothes
30-year-old US citizen was arrested at the California-Mexico border
- A man who tried to slither past US border agents in California had 52 lizards and snakes hidden in his clothing, authorities said Tuesday. The man was driving a truck when he arrived at the San Ysidro border crossing with Mexico on Feb. 25 and was pulled out for additional...
Dec 13, 2021 5:44 PM CST
Anti-Terrorism Database Was Used Against Journalists
Federal watchdog finds unit called up records of congressional staff members, as well
- A special Customs and Border Protection unit used sensitive government databases intended to track terrorists to investigate as many as 20 US-based journalists, including a Pulitzer Prize-winning AP reporter, according to a federal watchdog. Yahoo News, which published an extensive report on the investigation, also found that the unit, the...
He Saw No Violence
Sep 24, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
After Outcry, Photographer Says He Saw No Violence
Biden joins outcry at mounted agents' conduct, promising consequences
- The people who have responded with horror to images of Border Patrol agents on horseback appearing to corral Haitian immigrants at the Rio Grande include the US president and vice president. Some of the photos seem to show agents using whips, KTSM reports. But that's not quite what the...
White House Calls Apparent
Use of Whips at Border 'Horrific'
Sep 20, 2021 6:27 PM CDT
White House Calls Apparent Use of Whips at Border 'Horrific'
Border Patrol says matter is being looked into
- White House press secretary Jen Psaki says that images of federal agents apparently using whips on Haitian migrants at the border are "obviously horrific" and that the administration is trying to learn more about what happened. "I don't have the full context. I can't imagine what...
'One of Most Damaging Snails'
Seized at Houston Airport
Jul 22, 2021 5:00 AM CDT
'One of Most Damaging Snails' Seized at Houston Airport
Passenger had 15 live giant land snails
- Some 15 snails that can grow to be the size of small dogs were seized from a passenger's luggage in Houston earlier this month, officials say. The banana rasp snails, also known as giant land snails, were found in the luggage of a passenger traveling from Nigeria, CBS reports....
ICE Deportations Hit
Lowest Point on Record
May 5, 2021 5:57 PM CDT
ICE Deportations Hit Lowest Point on Record
Biden administration emphasizes catching criminals
- Although illegal crossings into the US are still at elevated levels, Immigration and Customs Enforcement deported fewer people in April than in any month on record. According to preliminary figures, 2,962 immigrants were deported last month, a 20% drop from March. It was the first time the monthly total...
More Than 3K Migrant Kids
Crowded Into Texas Facility
Mar 30, 2021 6:25 PM CDT
More Than 3K Migrant Kids Crowded Into Texas Facility
Biden administration finally allows journalists into detention facility for children
- The Biden administration for the first time Tuesday allowed journalists inside its main border detention facility for migrant children, revealing a severely overcrowded tent structure where more than 4,000 people, including children and families, were crammed into a space intended for 250 and the youngest were kept in a...
Mom Tries to Cross Rio Grande
With Kids, 9-Year-Old Dies
Mar 27, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Mom Tries to Cross Rio Grande With Kids, 9-Year-Old Dies
BP agents were able to resuscitate migrant mother, 3-year-old, but girl didn't regain consciousness
- Tragedy has struck a mother from Guatemala trying to make her way into the US with her two children, both Mexican nationals.
reports that on March 20, US Border Patrol agents received a rescue call after bystanders saw three people stranded on an island on the Mexican side of...
Border Officials: Let's Use
That 'Heat Ray' on Migrants
Aug 26, 2020 6:30 PM CDT
Border Officials: Let's Use That 'Heat Ray' on Migrants
Back in 2018, Kirstjen Nielsen nixed it right away
- Right before the 2018 midterms, a Homeland Security meeting gave birth to an extreme idea: zapping border migrants with a "heat ray" to make them feel like their skin was burning, former officials tell the
New York Times
. Customs and Border Protection officials apparently suggested it to Homeland Security...
Portland Mayor to Trump:
This Is 'an Absolute Abuse'
Jul 18, 2020 11:00 AM CDT
Portland Mayor to Trump: This Is 'an Absolute Abuse'
Words are flying after federal agents scooped up protesters in Oregon
- Portland's mayor threw down the gauntlet Friday after federal agents—some wearing camouflage in unmarked minivans—were seen grabbing people off the streets, the AP reports. "Keep your troops in your own buildings, or have them leave our city," Mayor Ted Wheeler said at a press conference...
Border Wall Section
Topples Into Mexico
Jan 30, 2020 6:01 AM CST
Border Wall Section Topples Into Mexico
Officials cite wet concrete, high winds
- A newly installed section of border wall toppled over onto the Mexican side amid high winds Wednesday. Steel barriers had been erected between Mexicali and Calexico, Calif., but a concrete base had not yet cured when the 30-foot-high panels fell onto trees lining a parallel street, reports the
CBP Takes 7-Year-Old Into
Custody. She Had Only Hours
Dec 14, 2019 11:00 AM CST
CBP Takes 7-Year-Old Into Custody. She Had Only Hours
Seems she hadn't eaten or drunk water for days
- A 7-year-old migrant girl died after the Border Patrol took her into custody last week—which is likely to increase scrutiny of CBP facilities as families pour over the southwest border in record numbers, the
reports. The girl, still unidentified, was apprehended with her father and 161 others...
Feds: Detained Brits
Deliberately Crossed Border
Oct 17, 2019 4:57 AM CDT
Feds: Detained Brits Deliberately Crossed Border
2 of them had previously been denied entry to the US
- American authorities are disputing the account of a British couple who say they were taken into custody after accidentally crossing into the US from Canada. Customs and Border Protection's Northwest Division released a video Wednesday that it says shows the couple "slowly and deliberately driving through a ditch"...
Journalist: CBP Officer Held
My Passport Until I Said 'Yes'
Oct 5, 2019 12:00 PM CDT
Journalist: CBP Officer Held My Passport Until I Said 'Yes'
Ben Watson says it happened at Dulles International Airport
- "You write propaganda, right?" That's what a Customs and Border Protection official apparently asked a journalist while keeping a tight grip on his passport, the
reports. Ben Watson, the news editor at Defense One, says it happened during a seemingly ordinary border check Thursday at Virginia'...
Trump Contradicts Official on
Bahamians' Travel Documents
Sep 9, 2019 5:45 PM CDT
Trump Contradicts Official on Bahamians' Travel Documents
President wants to keep out 'some very bad people'
- Anyone in the Bahamas whose life is in danger is "going to be allowed to come to the United States, whether you have travel documents or not." On the other hand, "Everybody needs totally proper documentation." The first statement came Monday from the acting head of...
82 Days in Jail
Aug 28, 2019 10:21 AM CDT
He Brought Honey From Jamaica, Spent 82 Days in Jail
Lawsuit coming in case of Maryland's Leon Haughton
- "They put me through hell." So says a legal permanent resident of Maryland jailed for 82 days after a false-positive test indicated there was liquid meth in three bottles of honey he brought back from his native Jamaica. Leon Haughton initially thought canines at Baltimore's airport detected...
Harvard Freshman Denied
Entry to US, Deported
Aug 28, 2019 6:47 AM CDT
Harvard Freshman Denied Entry to US, Deported
He says officer disapproved of his friends' online posts
- On Friday, Palestinian teenager Ismail Ajjawi arrived in Boston on his way to start his freshman year at Harvard. Eight hours later, he was kicked out of the country. The 17-year-old, who lives in Lebanon, says his visa was canceled and he was deported after an immigration officer disapproved of...
Detained Citizen Says He Lost
26 Pounds, Couldn't Shower
Jul 28, 2019 11:00 AM CDT
Detained Citizen Says He Lost 26 Pounds, Couldn't Shower
Francisco Galicia and his mother are suing two agencies
- Francisco Galicia, the US-born 18-year-old who spent more than three weeks in border custody in Texas, says he's suing two agencies over conditions in the immigrant detention center. Galicia says he lost 26 pounds before he was released last week. Along with 60 other men, Galicia said, he was...
US-Born Teen Detained by
Border Patrol Released
Jul 23, 2019 6:04 PM CDT
US-Born Teen Detained by Border Patrol Released
Francisco Erwin Galicia's case became immigration flashpoint
- A US-born 18-year-old was released from immigration custody Tuesday after wrongfully being detained for more than three weeks, the AP reports. Francisco Erwin Galicia left a US Immigration and Customs Enforcement detention center in Pearsall, Texas, on Tuesday. His lawyer, Claudia Galan, confirmed he had been released, less than a...
Is Putting CBP
Agents at Risk
Jul 20, 2019 11:00 AM CDT
Report: Fentanyl Is Putting CBP Agents at Risk
CBP has enough fentanyl to kill roughly 794M people
- Fentanyl is pouring into America, and that's putting border officers at risk. Homeland Security released a report Friday saying border agents are seizing and storing more of the dangerous drug but aren't receiving proper protection, ABC News reports. With US Customs and Border Protection grabbing enough fentanyl in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
'Holy Cow. Plants Actually Grow in Lunar Stuff'
Liz Cheney Unloads on House Leaders After Shooting
Bette Midler's Advice on the Formula Shortage Goes Over Poorly
Ted Cruz Scores a Victory Before the Supreme Court
Ukraine War Apparently Not Going Russia's Way
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.